Buy when it's hot or let it cool down first?

jasper.vth

Hello

I'm wondering if you guys buy a new game immediatly when it comes out or do you let it cool down and be patient for a few more months to see the prices drop a bit. I'll give an example, I came into the store half a year after AC Brotherhood was released, I saw it (with extra content) and bought it for 20 euros. When I came home I installed it an I saw on steam that it still costed 25 euros on there (which was still cheaper than the release price). So I saved myself a bit of money on that. But I already know that I'm not going to wait with buying Rome II TW when it releases.
But my question for you guys is, do you wait a bit for a game you want to become a little bit cheaper or don't you look at that and just buy it because you can't wait? :D

Grelite

Recently I've not really had games that I wanted to get on release, also partially because I've been quite busy doing university stuff. I've become content with being more patient about buying games.

I'll go ahead and list on some reasons you should wait, or reasons I wait:
Usually cheaper, especially if it's on sale
A lot of people will have played it, so you can have more of an idea of how good the game is
I usually watch some videos people post of the game, I don't really care about spoilers.
Updates may have fixed some initial bugs

Downsides:
If it's not really a popular game and it has multiplayer you might have trouble finding matches
If you do care about spoilers and have a popular game around, there's a chance it will get spoiled
Missing out on pre-order goodies/deals, but the sales may make up for it if it's added as DLC.

jasper.vth

Same, the last game I bought has been more than half a year ago due to university. I don't have the time to play the games as much as I want to, so I watch other people play games (like linus, chris and Ray).
And you're right, you have a second opinion when you wait for a bit longer and on the other hand it's spoils it a bit :-D Never been for the goodies anyways ;)

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
I'm usually too impatient. If I REALLY want a game, I'll get it day 1 even if I know I cn get it for $20 cheaper in a couple months. HOWEVER, I've started to wait if I know I will not have time to actually play the games. Never used to be that way. Hence why I still have 3-4 xbox/ps3 games with plastic wrapping on them... :S

DaVinkie

Really depends on the game. If I have been anticipating the game for a while, or it's in a serie that I really enjoy, I useally preorder and get shit done on the release date.
Pokémon, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Legend of Zelda, Fallout and Darksiders for example are insta-buys, because even though the game might be shitty compared to previous installments, I know I'm going to enjoy them anyway because I really like the gameplay.
Otherwise I eiter pick them up used or on sale, especially now I'm a student, I need all the money I can save.

jasper.vth

corrected.

Aaaah, now it makes sense XD And yeah indeed, if people are talking about it I want to play it as well. Giving an example: At school a few years ago a friend of mine was talking about Empire TW, I didn't buy it because it were line-battles ( Well, I thought it were only line-battles) and then I heared him say "naval battle".... Bought it the next weekend XD