Help me make prefixes!

Sarge

Just fix stuff.
Staff member
In order to have better organization and a quick way finding posts that are RP only or out of character etc across many boards I am beginning to make prefixes.

A Prefix is a highlight prefix that you put in front of topic name in order to distinguish what kind of post it is.
For example right now I created temporary a OOC prefix
OOC = Out of Character.

I want to create more prefixes. A prefix will eventually allow us to look at once at all OOC posts across all RP boards or look at all rules for RP etc.

Thoughts?

DarkGemini24601

In order to have better organization and a quick way finding posts that are RP only or out of character etc across many boards I am beginning to make prefixes.

A Prefix is a highlight prefix that you put in front of topic name in order to distinguish what kind of post it is.
For example right now I created temporary a OOC prefix
OOC = Out of Character.

I want to create more prefixes. A prefix will eventually allow us to look at once at all OOC posts across all RP boards or look at all rules for RP etc.

Thoughts?
Perhaps something like RP for roleplaying threads (maybe IC for In Character, dunno about that though), though for rules and stuff like that I'm not quite sure. Don't know how I feel about the yellow, it is a little flashy but it works.

Adrammalech

I think it's a cool idea, but I agree that the yellow is a little...neon. You could have OOC,, IC, and then Rules for the sheets and rulelists.

Sarge

Just fix stuff.
Staff member
I made some changes.

I have
OOC
Rules
RP

any more ideas? Prefix doesn't have to be on all posts.

Grelite

Yeah, the yellow feels a little off-putting. I'm inclined to see OOC as red because of the way OOC was used where I RP'd long ago, where red text indicated OOC.

On the topic of which; as a suggestion for layout for forum RPs, as per my experience with such, it could be useful to create further subsections within an RP subsection (in our case, for instance, have X-COM: The Story of Defiance as a subsection of Role Play). Consider the following layout of "X-COM: The Story of Defiance":
  • General Rules and Discussion (Listings of section-wide rules and broad discussion of the entirety of SoD)
  • Biographies (At the top a pinned topic with rules for creating a character, separate topics for each biography (prefix BIO), discussion about characters within the relevant topic of that character)
  • Factions (Topics concerning all RP details of a faction, like staff lists, casualty lists, mission lists, etc. etc. all the Base stuff. Alternatively, each faction could have a single topic and avoid further forum depth.)
    • X-COM
    • EXALT
    • Aliens (clearly where the alien sheets would go)
  • Character Logs and Roleplay (Separate topics for separate missions/scenes, discuss specific missions/scenes within that topic.)
OOC might be too general a prefix, since rules, character sheets, discussions and much more is all OOC. Plus, with such a layout, completely seperation of OOC and IC isn't necessary as long as the posts have clear indication of their setting. As such I suggest the following prefixes: BIO, RULES, TALK (for discussions) and FACTION.

Sarge

Just fix stuff.
Staff member
Now, I think what Grelite suggested should be approved by the people actually doing the rp too.
I was thinking that we create a sub-board for role playing and everything else rules and OOC will be on this main board?

Or we can leave it the same way. The point is if we had it a sub-board with all our role playing stuff its easier to find.

DarkGemini24601

I was thinking that we create a sub-board for role playing and everything else rules and OOC will be on this main board?

Or we can leave it the same way. The point is if we had it a sub-board with all our role playing stuff its easier to find.
Well, within the XCOM Roleplay board at least, if we just have the one rping thread then I don't know. It's something you'd probably need to discuss with our GM when Zombie has the time.

Grelite

Well, within the XCOM Roleplay board at least, if we just have the one rping thread then I don't know. It's something you'd probably need to discuss with our GM when Zombie has the time.
Perhaps it's best if the GM of the specified RP subsection becomes the moderator of that subsection so he or she can implement their own layouts. The GM would be a moderator without the ability to moderate users or other parts of the forum.