Hunters of Terra Dolor (Role Playing Section)

Frostlich1228 (Alt)

Eliza finally nodded, turning around and pulling her shirt up. Her shoulder blades were incredible swollen, as though there was something pushing out from inside her. "Y-you not mad... are you?" Eliza asked in a shaky voice.

"No..." Betty said as she got closer. "It's... You're... I zhink you're growing... Something..."

As she moved her hand over Eliza's back, the skin itself shifted, something underneath moving.

The fly pulled her hand back for a moment. "Um... Erin? Can you... Come here please?"

Erin walked over and knelt behind the girl. "Oh, my. It looks like something... how could something that large have gotten under her skin?" She gave Betty a worried look. "What ever it is, we must excise it immediately. It could be dangerous, and even if it isn't, it is causing her pain."

"M-Maybe she's just growing! We don't have to... Do we? I mean... What if zhey're like... Wings or something?" Betty reasoned quickly. "It makes more sense zhan something under her skin right?"

Erin thought about. "Your right. They could be wings. But... how would this be handled if she was with other demons? Are we supposed to leave her, and they are supposed to emerge on their own? Or would a demon mother normally help cut them out? I'm afraid there is no way to know." She looked down at the demon girl. Her skin shifted again, and Eliza shuttered in pain.

"Maybe... We should cut them out, at the very least it will cause less pain zhan zhem ripping out on zhere own..." Betty answered hesitantly, "Do you zhink you can do it?"

"I do. Um... let me go get something." Erin stood up. "Do what you can to prepare her, please." She quickly moved out to the back.

Betty took a deep breath. "Eliza... Honey. We are going to help you okay? It's... It's just going to hurt a little bit. Amam is here though, I won't let anything bad happen to you, I promise..."

Eliza wiped a tear away. "You gonna... make pain... go away?"

"We're gonna try sweetie... Believe me..." Betty comforted her, slowly taking her shirt off and helping her up onto a nearby table, careful not to touch the swollen area, after clearing the table off.

Erin walked over as Eliza was laying down. "I always have some scalpels hady in case of... you know, a dissection." She stepped to Eliza's side. "Alright, dear. This is gonna hurt. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. But once it is done, the pain should get all better. Um... ready, Betty?"

"Don't you have anything to knock her out with? Or maybe an anasthetic or somezhing?" Betty asked desperately.

Erin shook her head. "I-I'm not done studying her blood work. I don't know what would work and not harm her. I-I'll be quick, I promise."

"O-okay..." Betty gripped Eliza's hand tightly, looking into her eyes. "Sweetie look at me... Just keep your eyes on Amam okay?"

Eliza nodded. She grit her teeth tightly as Erin started cutting into her back, tears whelling up. "It hurts, Amam. No more..."

"It's okay sweetie! Amam is right here! It'll be over soon, just keep looking at me." Betty exclaimed, tears in her eyes as well.

"Almost done with the second one," Erin said, her usual cool exterior betrayed by a shake in her voice.

"Amam... here... Eliza... strong..." A demonic tinge came to the girl's voice, her eyes glowing pink as dug the claws of her free hand into the table. "Eliza... be strong... for Amam..."

"Zhat's it! Almost zhere! I love you sweetie! I do!" Amam cried, placing a kiss on Eliza's forehead.

"I'm through!" Erin cried out. "N-now I, um... have to find a way to pry open..."

Eliza let out a primordial scream, one that shook everyone to their very soul. The skin around the incisions started to bulge out into, all of a sudden, a pair of grayish violet, blood stained, bat-like wings burst forth, unfurling and stretching out to their full length.

Taking a breath, Betty gazed in awe at the wings and their full glory. A smile somewhere between relief and pride forming on her face as she turned back towards Eliza. "You did it Sweetie! It's over, you did it!"

"Did it?" Eliza looked back and laughed in excitement. "Look, Amam! Eliza got wings!"

Erin let out her own sign of relief, holding her hand towards Eliza's back to recover the soreness, Though the wounds themselves had somehow healed on their own. "You both did wonderfully. Congratulations, Eliza. Looks like you can learn to fly."

Eliza pounced forward, knocking Betty to the ground and hugging her tightly. She snuggled against her. "Thank to you, Amam. Eliza loves her wings."

Betty hugged her back, careful not to hurt her. "I love zhem too! You can learn how to fly!"

"Eliza flies high so to protect Amam." Eliza said, smiling wider then she ever had before.

Erin too couldn't help but smile at the two. "You ladies make the most interesting of mother and daughter... but it works so well for for. Thank you, Betty."

"She's your daughter too, in a way." Betty pointed out, finally noticing out of the corner of her eye that Veeti had been watching for who knows how long. Her face was long as she watched the two of them, almost as if she had spaced out.

"Veeti?" Betty asked with a tinge of concern.

Suddenly the Netzi snapped out of her trance. "W-what. Oh, uh Betty. I fine, no problem. Just happy for you two."

Eliza looked over at her, and crawled over. "Look, I got wings like Sister Veeti." She looked over to the table where the turkey was, then back at Veeti, and frowned. "Eliza is sorry I try to eat. Veeti is not chicken. Eliza is... is bad sometimes."

Veeti smiled, rolling her eyes. "Very well. I accept apology. But only cause cute."

Eliza grabbed her again, but this time to have her a big hug, her wings wrapping around them both. Erin stepped to Betty's side and ask, "So, was this a... successful Lady Nichola's Day?"

"It was certainly eventful, to say ze least." Betty sighed tiredly. "I wonder if the rest of the food is cold by now."

Erin lifted her hand, a small flame forming in it. "I can help with that," she said with a wink.

"Magic must be so much fun." The Ebony skinned thrope shook her head.

"Almost as fun as being with... uh, you." Erin blushed at how corny she had sounded and cleared her throat. "C-come on... uh, back to dinner."

"Very well. I haven't tried any of zhat stuffing yet after all." Betty giggled, holding Erin's hand as they returned to the table.

After a number of hours eating and enjoying the company of everyone who had arrived, Betty and Veeti waved goodbye to Erin and Eliza for tonight, but not before Amam kissed her little girl on the forehead.

As the sisters left they talked about the party and feast happily, reaching thier shared room in a few minutes. As they entered, Betty stretched, her stomach more than full after eating Erin's food.

"Oh! Betty!" Veeti suddenly exclaimed, "All this. Forgot your gift."

"Oh right! We forgot to give gifts to eachother!" The Fly remembered, picking up a present she had forgotten on the bed. "So much happened today I left it here."

Veeti shrugged. "No harm. Did same thing."

Betty passed over the present, allowing Veeti to open it, revealing a wide brimmed, white silk hat. The top decorated with a reddish/Orange plume. Veeti smiled wide, quickly putting it on and flying around a little.

"You like?" The Thrope asked and Veeti nodded.

"I like much. You know well." The Netzi grabbed her gift, handing over a small box.

Betty opened it quickly, revealing a metallic ring, the top decorated with a spinning orb, hovering effortlessly inside a cage of metal attached to the rest of the ring. The jewelry was obviously handmade, Betty recognized the signs, and it make the gift stand out even more. "Zhis is amazing Veeti! How did you get it to spin?"

Veeti brushed it off. "I had enchanted in town. Minor thing, only cosmetic, not that expensive."

"Well I love it regardless. Oh!" She exclaimed, picking up a small present from under the bed. "I got zhis for Dad back home! Do you want to sign it?"

The Netzi looked away for a moment before replying. "Sure, I can send too."

"Zhanks, I'm know Dad will love it." The Thrope made her way back to the door. Picking up some more wrapped presents."While you do zhat, I've just got a few more people I want to give gifts. I've got a mechanical wrench for Ed and a bunch of custom bookmarks for Es."

Veeti waved her off as she left, looking down at the gift for her father. "Yeah... Have uh... Fun..."

The Netzi waited until she was out of view, then slowly closed the door, taking the present and putting in a separate small metal box, which she placed on the open widowsill. After a moment, she took it and floated out, coming down to the garden where she made a small hole in the dirt with her hands. Placing the box inside, Veeti moved the dirt back with her hands, burying it with a long sigh before quickly returning to her room.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
What is a Demon?

The time was right. Spirits were high after the holiday. Her mother had shown the utmost pride. Her caretaker had even praised her. But her confinement was burdensome, and it was time to venture forth. The time was right, and so, she finally did it.

Early in the morning, while Erin yet rested, Eliza snuck out of the lab.

Eliza was still young, but she was smart. Smarter then old bunny head thought. Even smarter then Amam thought. No one would catch her. And if they did, she would simply kill them. But then, she wasn't allowed to kill them.

"I scare them!" Eliza decided, showing off her claws and fangs to no one in particular. "They think I kill them, so they run away."

She crept along on the ceiling, keeping her wings close to her body. Few people were out yet, and they kept their heads forward. It would be so easy to swoop down on them, but Eliza had promised to be good.

The place was so big! From her position on the rafters or clinging to the ceiling, she could see the world beyond her tiny home was much more expansive. It made her long to stay here. To explore the magnificent world know have 'Heaven-brood mander'.

She crept down the wall to look at an odd figure. It was another demon! She stood in front of it to say hello, but it didn't move. It didn't blink. Didn't breath. Was it dead? Could it have died sitting up? She touched its shoulder. It was cold. And hard. And... rocky? Eliza tilted her head in confusion. Was it fake? Why would they make a fake demon out of stone?

Movement! Human, like Charter, but smaller. Skinnier. Like Amam. Female? Another one with her. Tall and round. Ears like triangles. Male? Eliza looked at the rock demon and smiled. Eliza was smart. Smarter then they thought.

The pair of hunters walked by the stone figure, a new figure catching their eye. "That certainly doesn't look like a gargoyle," the woman said. "Looks so real. Why is it here?"

The man shrugged. "No idea. To test it out? It might look real, but it isn't very intimidating. Look how small it is! Like a... kid demon. Do demons come as children?"

"Of course they do," the woman responded as they walked on. "I mean... probably. How else... would they work?"

"Maybe they're born adults. Or pop out of some kinda spawn pit. You don't know. Come to think of it... neither do I..."

Eliza stepped forward and sat in the middle of the walkway, smiling as they walked off. She was smart. They were dumb. But... what was inimatatin? Was that like scary? Were they saying she wasn't scary? Eliza was very scary!

...right?

Eliza was pushed forward a bit. "Oh, I'm sorry!" someone cried out behind her. Eliza spun around to find someone small like her. A little human in a brown cloak. She had been caught! She stepped back, stood tall, and put on her scariest face, spreading her new wings out. The child only tilted her head. "Um... hello? Are you okay?"

Eliza relaxed her stance, disappointed. "You no... think that Eliza scary?"

"Scary? Why would I be scared?" the child pulled back her cloak, revealing the bandages over her eyes.

Eliza crept forward. "You no see? Why? You hurt?" She reached forward and grasped the bandages.

"No!" the human stepped away. "I-I mean... I mean I'm not hurt. My eyes just... don't work?"

"Not work?" Eliza scratched her head. "How you see?

"I... I can't. I have to get around without them."

"Not work... that is sad." Eliza sniffed the child, and lightly poked her chest. "You boy or girl?"

"I'm a-a girl. My name is Aemilia." She bowed her head. "You said your name was Eliza?"

"Eliza, yes. I Eliza." The demon girl circled around her. "You smell funny."

Aemilia blushed. "W-what!? What do you mean?"

"You look human. Not smell human. Smell... different."

The human child scratched her chin. "Maybe... maybe it has to do with the curse..."

"You have curse?" Eliza placed her hands on Eliza's shoulder, sniffing her hair. "Why curse? What curse?"

"I don't know why. And... I can't say what kind it is. It's a secret."

"Secret. I know about secrets." Eliza gripped her cloak. "This nice. Good for hiding. I can have?"

"A cloak? Um... o-okay. I have plenty others. Uh... follow me." Aemilia slowly made her way back to her room, not far down the hall. She was unaware that Eliza followed her in shadows and along the ceiling. She opened her door, Eliza crawling in above her and dropping down behind her. Aemilia jumped a bit. "Oh... y-you're quite nimble. Um..." She shut the door and walked over to a dresser, opening the middle drawer. "H-here you go. Take whichever one you want."

Eliza hurried over and started pulling out one cloak after another, examining it for a few moments then tossing it aside. After a minute, she handed a long, jet black one to Aemilia. "This one?"

Aemilia examined it with her hands. "Oh, this is the really long one. Based on how tall I think you are, it'll completely cover you. I mean, you can have it... but why do you want it?"

"Eliza is demon." She took the cloak back and slipped it over her head. Indeed, it covered her completely, her horns having shrunk enough to not make the hood stick up too much. "This hide demon parts. No one get scared, cause people scared of demon, and Eliza very scary. So Eliza can walk around. Need holes for wings, though..."

Aemilia giggled, and jumped on her bed, sitting on the edge. "That's silly. You can't be a demon?"

Eliza took the cloak off and examined the back. "Can't be demon? Why?" she asked as she used a mirror Aemilia had to examine the length of her wings. Eliza was a smart girl, but not quite perceptive enough to question why a blind girl had a full length mirror in her room.

Aemilia pondered on the question for a few moments. "Well... you're too nice. I mean... your manners could use some improvement, but you haven't tried to eat me or kill me or whatever it is demons do."

Eliza carefully used a claw to cut slits into the back of her cloak. "What demons do? What they like?"

"Um... well, I've read a few books about them," the grey-haired girl responded. "They're alien creatures, from another world known as the Demon Realm. They're very scary looking, with horns and claws, and they like to kill people. No one is sure why. Maybe they think we're food. Maybe they think they're better then us. Maybe they always attack us because we always attack them. Who knows? Luckily, opening a portal between our realms takes a lot of energy. The more powerful the demon, the more power needed to cross over. So demons are very rare. Some even think there are no demons and the creatures we think are demons are simply another kind of monster."

Eliza gave her a sad look. "That... all demons? All demons bad? All demons... hurt people?"

Unaware of the possible crisis of conscious she was causing, Aemilia slowly kicked her legs against the side of the bed. "Mmm... Idunknow. Maybe. But... I don't think so. At least, I'd like to think not. Everyone of a single species can't be evil. Thinking that is like... thinking all Light Elves are weak, or all Thropes are dumb. Thinking like that just breeds hate and prejudice. So... no, I don't all demons are bad. I'm sure, if we talked to a few, we would find some are okay. Maybe even cool." She giggled. "Like you, 'demon girl'."

Eliza smiled again, slipping her cloak over her head again and letting her wings through the gaps to test out the holes before retracting them again. "You also the cool, Amela." She scurried over to the door.

Aemilia gave her a disappointed frown. "You have to go so soon? I haven't had another kid to talk to since... Drayce..."

"Amela not worry," Eliza assured her. "Eliza see again. See soon." Aemilia smiled softly and nodded, and Eliza ducked out. She slowly made her way down the hall, walking past a few people. Some gave her odd looks, but otherwise they didn't seem the demon walking among them. With a satisfied grin, Eliza headed into the basement and back to the labs. She snuck into her room and hid the cloak under her bed. With a tired yawn, she quickly crawled under her covers and closed her eyes. She was asleep once more before Erin woke up for the day.

Erin was a very clever, smart girl, and now more curious then ever.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Troubles Beyond Home
Part One

Vampiric Megacity of Drăculești
Capital Building, Council of Elders
12:24 a.m.

The room was stuffy and quite on the humid side. It had the musty smell one might expect in a room where at least half of the occupants had celebrated their quincentennial by now. On a slightly elevated chair at the far end of the rectangular oval room, the head of the elders was unapologetically surrounded by incense, and had two attractive, young men fanning them from either side.

Today's current speaker droned on about the goings on in the city since the last meeting. There was little in the way of interesting news, crime low throughout all four sectors, farm stock good, water supply good, blood banks full. Even the most dedicated, stalwart elder felt their mind wandering, their eyes sagging as the meeting continued on.

"And now, for the matter of the deserters," the speaker stated, and the head elder perked up. "Investigations are complete, and we have the names. In total, five of our kind have abandoned the city since the beginning of the year."

"Security has been seriously dropping the ball," the leader of G1 chimed in, letting out a gruff scoff. "And what of the Qatal? It is their job to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen..."

"Perhaps we should be worried more about why they are so dedicated to leaving." the head Elder stated from their shadowy chair, their voice young and androgynous. "Let me see the list of escapees."

"Yes, Elder," the speaker complied. As he walked over, several of the Elders shifted uncomfortably. The Head Elder could see why when they got the list.

"Alice... Alice Valentine is on this list." They slowly handed the list back to the speaker. "I was not made aware that she was even out of prison, let alone a deserter. Who?" The others said nothing. "Come now, who kept this from me? Tell me, or I'll assume it was all of you conspiring together and remove all your heads."

After another moment of silence, the Head Elder started to rise. It was then that the head of U2's non-vampire representative stood up. "It was me, Master Valenestra. I convinced the others that... you might do something drastic if you found out."

"Quite the brave young woman," Valenestra mumbled. "But it wasn't you." They motioned for the woman to sit, and she did with a sigh of relief. "We are sending the Band of Seven out."

There was a cacophony of mumbles and objects. The vampiric head of U2 quickly stood up. "You mean to send our seven best to deal with a few rogues? Our best for less than half a dozen? They our not our problem anymore! This is preposterous."

The Head Elder tapped their fingers against their arm rest. "You have all objected to my proposal to open our doors in any fashion to the outside world. And now you seem opposed to taking responsibility for your own rules. What sort of precedent do we set if we do not stop those who break the law, however few?"

"Y-yes... but..." The other Elder started.

"Furthermore," Valenestra continued, "What is preposterous is to imply our escapees, especially escapees like Montgomerie, Bennett, and Valentine, are not our responsibility. These people are dangerous! Three hundred years ago, we sacrificed so much to shape the world into what it is today, and I do not just mean soldiers. We maintain an uneasy peace with the outside world because they do not see us as a threat. I will not have that change because we were too stubborn and lazy to deal with our own criminals."

The U2 Elder slowly folded his arms. "This is... a matter we should put up to a vote. It is too big for you to decide on your own."

"Very well." The Head Elder stood up as well. "All those in favor of sending out the Band of Seven before our Vampiric name is smeared?" At first, only a couple hands went up, leading to the U2 Elder smirking. After a few seconds, however, more hands started to rise until 60% of the men and women voted yes, with everyone else quickly following suit to try and save face, even the U2 Elder with a grumble. "Well then... it seems the ayes have it." Valenestra smirked themselves. "Unanimously. Please, finish without me. I shall talk to the seven." They headed towards the exit, snapping their fingers so their servants would quickly follow after.

Bevland
Ferro Fields
11:34 a.m.

Bevland's Emerald Legion Hunters slowly backed off, facing off against a terrifying force that was far larger than they had been led to believe. "F-first Virando... n-now here in Bevland. W-why?"

A dozen beasts fought among them. Gugs, normally living far beneath the land's surface, had risen and attacked the nearby town. They were horrifying creatures, their very sight causing a sense of dread. Sixteen feet tall and nearly 2,000 pounds. Razor sharp claws on arms the split to two separate arms at the elbow. Eyes jutting out on the sides of their heads. Jaws filled to the brim with gnashing yellow teeth in a mouth that ran vertically in the center of their barrel shaped heads.

The hunters fought with all their might. Severed arms flew off. Eyes were sliced off. One Gug fell. Then another. But they were outnumbered, and the Hunters started falling faster. Arms were torn off. Heads crushed, or bitten off whole.

Just as all seemed lost, however, salvation came from the east. A speedy man in a Hyena mask. A young, wild, female teen in a monkey mask. A large, muscular man in a Bear mask. A slim woman in a Raven mask. "Hyena, Monkey!" Raven called out. "Focus on defending. Prioritize civilians. The Hunters knew what they were getting into. Bear, you're with me on offense. Go!"

Hyena run over to a pair of travelers about to be set upon by a rather ragged looking Gug. "No you don't!" He jumped into the air. His hands flew in and out of his vest faster than the eye could see. A dozen daggers flew forward, stabbing into the back of the beast. It turned to him with a roar, only to have a bladed boomerang slice off one eye, then the other on the return. As it fumbled around, swinging blindly, Hyena let out a flurry of slashes with his knives at the base of its head. When he was done, it dropped to the ground, blood pouring from its open neck.

For her part, Monkey stood between two Gugs and a small cart. One of them smash the ground as she jumped away, sending up a plume of dirt. "Oh, ugly monkey men strong!" She jumped into its face, grasping its eyes. "Now cute Monkey girl be strong!" Her hands glowed a dark pink, as did her eyes. The Gug tried to punch at her, only to smash in its own head as she jumped off. The other Gug swung at her, but this time she held out her hands, catching its two right fists. She roared, the ethereal visage of a Gug appearing behind her for a moment as she yanked the beast's entire arm off and proceeded to use it as a club to beat it to death.

Bear couldn't quite match the Gug's strength, but with his swift martial arts, he was a more than a match for its speed. For a man with his skills, it's punches might as well have been in slow motion. He dodged to the left, then dodged to the right, using the clawed weapons and the strength of his punches to slam, slash, and rip into the beast until it collapsed from pain and blood loss.

Raven showed little mercy as she moved from one Gug to the next. Her sword practically danced across them. With rapid speed, gashes appeared, fingers, hands, and chunks of meat flew off, and hearts were pierced. The last Gug slammed a Bevland Hunter away, only for Raven to jump over it. Hovering in the air for a moment, she pointed her hands down and shot a massive fire ball into its open maw. There was a muffled explosion from within it, and the very dead creature fell over, smoke escaping its jaws.

The civilians showered the masked figures with praise, one of them handing Monkey a large sack of coins. The four walked over to the last remaining Hunter, the man battered and bruised, blood leaking from his mouth, nose, and ears. Monkey placed the bag in his hand. "You... only survivor," she said sadly. "So you... you get whole reward."

The man chuckled softly, more blood escaping his lips. "That's... quite the pot," he practically whispered, his eyes slowly closing. "Should buy... the kids... lot... treats..." He fell silent with a small smile on his face, the bag slipping out of his hand.

The four stared down at him for a while in somber silence. Bear finally broke it, quietly saying, "Maybe all of us... should have focused on defense."

Raven grit her teeth, some moisture building up in her eyes. "I... th-they... they were..."

"They were Hunters." A woman with flowing blonde hair and the mask of a Hawke walked up to them. "Civilians always come first. To drag out the fight with an all defensive approach would have put them in unneeded danger. Hunters know what they are getting into when they join a guild. And just like them, we know it means we could die at any time. That is the chance you take when you choose this life."

The others all nodded, and headed back east. When Raven didn't move right away, Hawke stepped over to gently place a hand on her shoulder to guide her along.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Troubles Beyond Home
Part Two

The Land of Ice
The LSCRC (Lustanian Southern Continent Research Center)
3:44 p.m.

“Can I get that spectral PKE meter?” Dalia asked, the Light Elf carefully setting up her microscope. “It’s the thing with the the large, square screen.”

“I know which one it is,” Devela said defensively, the slightly younger Elf grabbing the meter and putting it next to her colleague. “Why do you always do that?”

“Well, obviously, I do it to get a rise out of you.” Dalia smiled. “And it works every time.”

Devela rolled her eyes and walk over to her station, pausing in front of a vent and letting out a relieved sigh. “They got the heater working. Finally.” She quickly slipped out of her oversized coat.

“I told them we should have set up the station next to the ley line of fire magic farther south,” Dalia mumbled, speaking mostly to herself. “But no. Building that far inland would have cost too much more. So let the boys fix the heater every time it goes down. They’re here more for labor anyway. We’ll take care of the science.”

Her partner let out a small laugh, and continued with her work. They worked in silence until Devela looked over to her nearby pocket watch. “Where… are they?”

“Hmm?” Dalia looked over. “Outside, probably.”

“Yeah, but… the heat came back on a half hour ago.” Devela shook her head and grabbed her coat. “I’m gonna go check on them.”

“If you insist.” Dalia grabbed for her own coat.

“You don’t have to come with,” the darker skinned woman insisted.

Dalia shook her head. “Buddy system. No one goes alone. That’s the reason there is always an even number of us.”

The pair stepped out into the harsh coldness of the south continent. Seeing no one, nothing in sight but pure white, they called out for their missing researchers. “Why… aren’t they answering?”

“Maybe they’re just trying to scare us.” Dalia waved for her to follow around back where the heater was located. As they rounded the corner to the back, they stopped short. The pure white snow was stained with red. At first they thought they were only looking at the tattered remains of the men’s clothes, only to realize the men were still in the clothes, all in pieces. “Get back inside,” Dalia said urgently.

The pair rounded the corner to the side, and stopped once more. One. Two. Four. It was hard to tell with the whipping wind and fear clouding their eyes, but there was at least a dozen Wendigo, all standing before them. Watching. Waiting. “M-maybe… w-we can make a r-run for the door,” Devola suggested.

Dalia slowly shook her head. “We’d never make it. We shouldn’t… still be alive. I don’t know why they haven’t torn us apart already.”

“M-m-maybe they a-already filled themselves up on… o-on the others.”

“No. Wendigos are always hungry. Never satisfied.”

It was only half a minute later that the watching and waiting came to an end. From the horizon, its approach partially hidden by the snow, came a creature far larger than the Wendigo. Towering. Humanoid in shape. Large Claws. Glowing eyes. A visage that struck fear in the hearts of the two women, sending them to the verge of insanity simply by seeing it.

“Ithaqua,” Dalia muttered, and despite her earlier claim, she grabbed Devola’s arm and ran. The two ran as fast as the could, in a desperate attempt to escape the terrors behind them.

They didn’t get far.

Virando
East Geminy City
11:43 p.m.

“Oh, great Hastur, hear our call!” The head cultist cried out from upon the altar, his fellow cultist clad in yellow robes chanting behind him. “We have found another village for your agent of Chaos to feed upon. Let it spread its Darkness across the land! May its Corruption infect all of Terra Dolor! Let it consume all before it so it might grow ever stronger!”

The chanting grew louder. From the center of the large park at this time of night, few would hear them, and they could quickly take out any who came upon them. None would stand in the way of their rituals. Louder and louder, the chanting droned on. “Nilgh'ri honor l' Hastur. Throdogoth l' Hastur. Ahornah h' reach extend l' nilgh'ri inch ot shuggog. N'gha l' nilgh'ri ahf' stand ph'nglui h' way!”

A bit away on a small hill, the Goddess of Chaos watched eagerly. She held her hands together, a dark ball of energy forming in it. “You want to see some real chaos? Try this on for size.”

“Now, why would you want to do that?” Tecunte spun around to find a figure completely covered in a golden cloak. “They’re not bothering you. Do they break in on your meetings and sling magic about?”

Tecunte scoffed. “I don’t like people sneaking up on me.” She held her hands forward, the attack meant for a crowd of people being launched at this single figure. “Piss off!”

The attack paused before hitting the man, and simply faded away into nothingness. “You seem to love sneaking up on others, Tecunte. Watching and scheming. Goddess of Peeping, more like.”

Tecunte practically snarled. “Who the hell do you think you are!?” she yelled, reaching out to him. From under the cloak, a pair of tendrils shot up, slapping her hands away and knocking her down. Tecunte gasped in shock. “Hastur!”

He bowed slightly. “At your service. Not really though. We all know if anyone was to be the servant, it would be you and your gaggle of… ‘gods’. Now please, leave my followers be. You should be happy with them anyway. They are spreading your precious chaos and discord.”

“That mass of Corruption doesn’t spread chaos!” Tecunte climbed to her feet. “It just consumes! If it kills everyone and everything, what is left to spread chaos? Nothing!”

Hastur shrugged. “We all have to eat. Humans eat meat and vegetables. Gods eat ambrosia and golden apples and whatever other ‘heavenly’ crap you like. He just happens to eat villages.”

Tecunte stuck out her arm and pointed at his face, or at least where his face might have been. “The gods know what you’re up to! It is only a matter of time…”

Another tendril shot out of Hastur’s sleeve and wrapped around her arm, gripping it tightly. “If they know, why don’t they stop me? Simple. Because they can’t. You know as well as I do that you are nothing compared to us. Can you kill me?”

“I… I can…” Tecunte scoffed and pulled as hard as she could, trying to get free. To her horror, the skin where he was holding her slowly turned to stone, and began spreading. “Release me!”

"I’m sure I could kill you.” The darkness under his hood started to glow, the horrible image of his ‘face’ spreading terror in the heart of the goddess.

“I said release me!” Tecunte held her free hand behind her. A dark portal formed behind her and moved forward. It encompassed her completely, closing around her arm and whisking her away, taking part of the tentacle with her.

“Hmm…” Hastur lifted the severed tendril, and it slowly regenerated. “A shame… I thought we were getting along so swimmingly.” He turned his attention back to the cultist as a dark cloud formed above the city and quickly flew towards the small village to the northwest.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Troubles Beyond Home
Part Three

Neren'teva
Central Forest, Near the Faerie Village of Roserade
4:24 p.m.

A young Thrope with furry, red fox ears nervously scanned the forest around him. A human with matching hair, long and red as fire, nudged him hard in the arm. “Will you knock it off, Beezil? You’re nervousness is starting to make me paranoid...”

The Thrope gave her a worried look. “I have good reason to be nervous,” he insisted. “Everyone knows this part of the forest is haunted.

“Pft!” The woman shook her head. “Stop being such a wimp! There are no ghost in this part of the forest… or any part of the forest! You’re just being a little bi-”

“GeT OoooUuT!”

“What the…?” Beezil tightly gripped her arm. “D-did you hear that, Befany?”

Befany slowly shook her head. “N-nope. Didn’t hear a thing…” She gasped as darkness suddenly fell. “What… wh-where did the sun go!?”

“Get oOOOut, or yOU wILL DIE!”
Two orbs of energy, one of pure white, one of pure black, flew towards then, sending out terrifying sounds. The pair screamed in fear, and ran as fast as they could in the opposite direction.

The darkness dispersed, and the light around the orbs faded, revealing a pair of Faeries, laughing hysterically. “Humans are so stupid, Pixel!” the male with white hair said.

“Thropes are even stupider, Prev!” the female with black hair added. “Oh… so much fun! Why keep them away when they offer so much entertainment?”

“Because we don’t want their stench or ugliness spreading to us.” Prev took his sister’s hand. “Come on. Granny is making your favorite stew.”

The pair flew off in the direction of their village. Pixel looked up at the sky, a cloud of darkness rolling in. “That looks like a nasty storm. We should hurry up.”

The pair picked up their pace as they got closer to where the cloud was. An unearthly growl seemed to come from everywhere at once. As they flew faster and faster, one of the trees suddenly stepped forward, trying to bite them out of the air. As Prev zipped by, he took the creature in. Like a black tree, its branches like tendrils, its many mouths oozing green slime, its legs like a goat’s. “The Dark Young of Shub-Ishnigarrab!” The two moved even faster. Someone had summoned Shub-Ishnigarrab, and the village had to be warned.

More of the tree-like beings stepped forward to try and get them. The pair flew low, and they tried to stomp the faeries. The pair flew high, and they grabbed at the faeries with their branches. The pair went back to the center, and finally, their luck ran out. The pair dodged left to avoid one Dark Young, only to fly straight towards the maw of another. Prev had just enough time to push his sister to the side before being snatched in its mouth. “Prev, no!” Pixel grabbed his arm as the creature held him in its mouth with its tongue.

“Forget about me!” Prev yelled with tears in his eyes. “You have to warn the vill-”

The creature closed its mouth, ingesting all of Prev save for his severed arm. Pixel screamed in horror as she dropped it, and flew as fast as she could away. She could not say how, in her anguish, blinded by the tears in her eyes and the hole in her heart, she managed to avoid being grabbed herself. She flew faster and faster. She reached her village just as something dawned on her. They had been flying in the direction of both their village and the cloud.

She looked around her home. It was chaos. Monstrous creatures of all shapes and sizes ran about. The village guards did all they could to fight them off while evacuating civilians. Many of the Faeries’ simple houses lay in ruin. And far above in the sky, a cloudy mass of black tentacles, slime dripping mouths, and writhing goat legs. One of the mouths opened, and large object fell to the ground. It stood up, shaking off the slime that coated it. It was a manticore, and as soon as it had its wits about it, it set eyes on Pixel and charged.

Central Southern Sea
Near the Venderhaven Reef
3:57 p.m.

A patrol of heavily equipped Merfolk slowly made their way along the side of the reef, eyes open and searching, ever vigilant. A force of thirty who was stationed in this area had failed to report in, and this group was charged with looking for them.

“What if they lost their scrying stones?” A young recruit name Audrina offered.

“Most likely, they’re all dead,” a moody one named Gef said with a scowl stated with little doubt in his tone.

“You don’t have to be so heartless about it,” Mervin said, giving Gef a scowl of his own.

“Unfortunately, he’s probably right,” Tenan muttered sadly, adjusting her spear gun.

The group slowed to a stop at the sight of one of their own. She looked like she was barely hanging in there, cuts, bruises, and gashes all over her body. She held her hands over her eyes, sobbing softly.

“Tella?” A rookie name Samen swam forward. “Tella! Father and I feared we had lost you!” He wrapped his arms around her. “It is okay, dear sister. Everything will be alright.”

The others swam over, gasping at the sight before them. The entire squad they had been looking for lay dead around the reef. Among them were a group of Cthulhi sprawled all about. It had been a mighty fight, the Cthulhi having outnumbered the Merfolk two to one. As the group was consumed with grief, Audrina, new but ever vigilant in her studious attention to detail, counted the bodies to make sure everyone was accounted for. Including Tella, they were. In fact… there was one too many bodies. “Samen, no!” she shouted.

It was too late. ‘Tella’ wrapped her arm around Samen’s neck, the arm extending, stretching, and tightening until Samen’s body with limp with an audible crunch of his neck. ‘She’ laughed gruffly as ‘she’ morphed back into her Cthulhi form. Such a ploy was all that it could do to contribute anymore, the wounds it had shown real. It didn’t even have the strength to try and avoid the spear Tenan shot into its face.

The scouting party had no time to grieve as more Cthulhi came out of hiding to attack. Most stayed in their original form, while a couple grew in size, taking the form of giant squids. A third morphed into a gnashing shark with bladed fins, like a swimming mass of knives and swords. The fight was grueling. Tridents stabbing. Tentacles wrapping and squeezing. Spears piercing. Blood staining the water. The Merfolk were caught off guard and outnumbered. But they were trained well and motivated by rage and anguish. In the end, the rest of the Cthuhi floated among the dead, while the scouting party only lost one more in the fight.

Audrina carefully carried Samen among the fallen, lowering his body next to his real sister. “Why?” she whispered sadly. “Why in Uladan’s name are they doing this? For so long, our truce stood. It might have not been peace exactly, but it was better than… this. Why do they attack us? Why do they… kill us?”

“Who knows what goes through the minds of monsters like these?” Gef placed his hand upon her shoulder. “They serve the Old Ones, and take satisfaction in the deaths of others. Pain. Misery. It is all we can do to defend ourselves and make sure they do not get their way. If we lose here, they will spread their dark influence to all the waters of the world.”

Tenan glared down at a twitching Cthulhi. Just spasms of an already dead thing, but she put another spear in it, just to be sure. It was her pleasure to do so. “Come on,” she said. “We need to report back in and… and get someone out here to retrieve our fallen comrades.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Troubles Beyond Home
Part Four

Fairaven
Royal Fairaven Center of Magical Studies
1:15 p.m.

“No!” Erin let out an unamused laugh, her voice echoing out of the scrying disk. “Have you gone mad? No… seriously, I ask this of you, Wollstonecraft. Have you seriously lost it?”

“Oh, don’t you start with me, you nagging little rabbit,” the woman she was speaking to countered, smooth skin a deep brown, hair black as the night and done up in a bun, expressive eyes looking even bigger through the large lenses of her glasses.

“Honestly, Mary, I don’t see what my height or impressive ears have anything to do with any of our arguments.” The woman could hear Erin fusing with someone for a moment before she continued. “You’re playing with fire, Mary. It is dangerous. Very dangerous. Not to mention illegal. I-lleeeeee-gal. Has been in both our countries for a long, long time.”

The elf rolled a small, cherry sucker in her mouth. “Is it really illegal if you work for the government and they sanction it?”

“Yes! Oh, gods, don’t tell me about your government’s black ops! I really don’t want a government assassin knocking at my door because of you and your big mouth.”

Mary rolled her eyes. “Honestly, it is just one or two little experiments.”

“Little experiments?”

“Uh huh.”

“Making Chimera?”

“Mhmm.”

“Deadly, weaponized ones?”

“Somewhat deadly, slightly weaponized.”

“Using spells adapted from the Necronomicon? Honestly, you guys are way too open about having that. It’s dangerous to have it on its own, let alone to have when everyone knows you have it!”

“Honestly, I prefer the name ‘Kitab al Azif”.” Mary clapped her hands together. “Well, I have a lot of work to do, and since all you want to do is dump on it, I’m gonna have to go.”

“Mary, please don’t!” Erin let out a long sigh. “I’m sorry. I just worry about you is all. Please, before you go… can you tell me about any news regarding Eliza?”

“Eliza… oh, your little demon friend?” Mary frowned, a frown that was clear from her tone. “Sorry, my rabbit-eared friend. They still want her. They’re still talking about it, still debating, still going over your claim that the egg hatching alters the stipulations of the contract as that was never a factor. I’ll have to get back to you on that but… it isn’t sounding good.”

Erin remained silent for several seconds before saying, “Okay. Thanks. I’m… gonna let you go now. Please, be careful. I’ll… talk to you again soon.”

“You know it.” Mary waved her hand over the disk to end the call. She stood up and walked over to a wall lined with cages containing animals of all shapes and sizes. “Well now… time to begin.” She grinned as she lifted a box off the nearby table and opened it up. Within were a pair of very large scales that sheened in the light. “This outta be interesting.”

Stormrend
The Grinning Tanuki Club
5:54 p.m.

The Tanuki was letting in the first customers of the night, and already it was bustling and lively. It was a place where anyone could come in, have a good time, see a good show, have a drink, and escape the real world as long as they had the coin to pay for it. It was ladies night, which meant the first four drinks were half off and the left stage, usually featuring some seductive young women wearing practically nothing, instead had strapping young men wearing practically nothing until midnight.

Naturally, anyone who knew anything knew the man overlooking the goings on from the balcony above was a figure head. He was paid to look intimidating and act like he owned the place if anyone stepped out of line. The real owners were having a meeting in the basement. The Noir, the Stormrend mafia, had all their bosses together. The head of the bunch, the bruiser of a man named Shen Wu, sat at the head of the table. He was getting on in years, the human not as spry as he once was, but he could still beat down a young punk if he needed to. With arms like tree trunks, few gave him a reason to want to. At the moment, he didn’t need to. He had a pair of mooks for that, two muscle heads with a nearly fully functional brain between them. They stood on either side of the exact opposite of them, a skinny young man named Lao, seating and looking quite nervous.

“Who… really runs things in this country?” Shen asked rhetorically, though still answered, “We do. While the land cries out in pain after the civil war… or ‘insurgency’ as they call it to save face, the royal family concerns itself with rebuilding armies and taxing the people to pay for repairs. Who provides the people with happiness when they need it most? We do. Who can get the people what they truly need, provided they can pay the price? We do. Who keeps the wheels of progress rolling through underground importing and exporting? Who truly speaks the language of the people? Who is the source of real power in Stormrend?”

With his head hung low, it took a moment for Lao to realize Shen was looking at him. He jumped a bit and quickly said, “We do! I-I… I mean, y-you do.”

Shen sighed, rolling a cigar along his fingers, themselves practically as thick as it. “Our plans are in place to put ourselves in a position of royal power. But that can’t happen until we know every piece is in place. I won’t go for that King when I have to worry about a Knight sneaking up on me when I can take the Knight out first.” Lao simply blinked, and Shen scoffed. “It’s a chess metaphor. Keep up with me, kid. Now… to make sure I’m ready, I need you to do your job. And yet, here you are… evidently having failed to do your job.” He motioned to his mooks, who violently grabbed Lao, one of them pushing one of his hands forward.

“W… W-what are you doing?!” Lao asked in a panic. His eyes darted around. Shen pulled out a rather intimidating cigar cutter, snipping off the end of his cigar before lighting it. “W… wh-wha…?” Lao’s eyes moved down to the hand holding his arm down, and noticed it was missing a pinky. “No! No, please!”

“I don’t like failure,” Shen said casually. “But I’m not some… ridiculous, over the top villain from some cheap novel. I’m a good man. A fair man. I treat my people with respect… as long as they treat me with respect. And I find failing my simple requests disrespectful, and in need of punishment. Doesn’t that sound fair?”

“No! I mean… I mean yes! I mean… i-i-it does, but there… th-there has been a mistake!” Lao struggled uselessly to get free. “I-I-I haven’t failed anything! Please!”

“Oh?” Shen took a puff from his cigar and blew it in Lao’s face. “Are you saying I’m wrong?”

“N-not wrong! Not wrong. Uh… um… misinformed!” Lao swallowed and spoke rapidly. “I have a lead! One last lead, the only lead. It ends in Serasam. That is the last stop, I am sure of it. She either died somewhere in that country, or is still alive and hiding out there. I-I was going to go there myself to find out, but it is quite a ways… um, away. So I wanted to pay my respects to you before I left and tell you where I was going so you didn’t think I was abandoning the Noir or… o-or something. I-I guess in my attempt to avoid a miscommunication, a… uh, miscommunication occurred.”

Shen studied his face for a moment. Finally, he pocketed the cutting tool and nodded to his boys to let Lao go. He sat back and said, “Alright. Either you’re telling the truth, or you have a lot of guts and have a quicker wit then I thought. Either way, I’ll give you another chance. But I punish in proportion to the degree of disrespect I feel. You either find her body or tell us where she is. If you come back empty handed again, empty handed you’ll stay. Not only will I take your whole hand, I’ll make you do it. Understand?” Lao shakily nodded, rubbing his wrists. After half a minute of silence, Shen shouted, “Well, what the hell are you sitting around for?! GO!” Lao tumbled from his chair and made a mad dash for the exit. “Putz,” Shen mumbled, tapping the ashes off his cigar.

“Excuse me, Boss Wu…” One of the other bosses leaned forward. “You said we are in place to make our move. Does that mean… she is ready?”

Shen laughed gruffly as he stood up. “Oh, she’s ready. In more ways than one.” He looked back. “Oh, Ms. Kasagi? Come over here. I want to show off my prized chess piece.”

From out of the shadows, a young woman wearing a royal kimono walked up to Shen’s side. She was very thin, somewhat flat chested and having little in the way of curves. Her blonde hair extended down to her shoulders and her eyes were a brilliant blue. Another boss gasped in shock. “This… you are saying this isn’t Princess Arlia?”

Again, Shen let out a loud laugh. “Oh, she’ll be Arlia alright. Meet our pawn that will soon be turned into a queen. It is great what finding an illegitimate child and a little magical cosmetic surgery can do, isn’t it?” Shen lightly pushed ‘Arlia’ forward. “She’s been trained and properly educated. Trust me… she is ready.”

Murmurs spread across the room, followed quickly by confident smiles as the young woman nervously looked about the room, her eyes momentarily stopping on the open door before directing themselves to the ground at her feet.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Troubles Beyond Home
Part Five
(Starring MarineAvenger as the lovely Veronica!)

Themosa
Royal Palace of Themosa
2:02 p.m.

The King and Queen stared down at one of the most defiant women they had ever had dealings with. She was tall and very curvy, with the attractive face, fit body, long, fiery red hair, and the impressive bust that would draw anyone's attention. She was dressed in a way that showed off her assets while somehow also being of noble design. Behind her was the long tail of a monkey, wagging back and forth rapidly in agitation.

The King leaned forward. "Why do you persist in this so? None of the..."

"Why do I persist?" the woman interrupted with an exaggerated laugh. "Because nothing has changed! You saw the latest census, I'm sure. Thropes are almost equal in number to humans in this country, something it shows even with the census bureau's less than stellar performance when it comes to my kind. And yet, we are still treated like second class citizens!"

The King cleared his throat, his patience with this woman running thin. "As I was trying to say, Ms. Devolina, before you interrupted me... none of the other nobles seem to have a problem. Why have none of the other Thrope nobles..."

"The the Thrope nobles are spineless sheep!" the monkey woman yelled, deepening the King's scowl. "They are only nobility because you know they will fall in line and never complain. Aratenda forbid they risk their precious nobility. They don't suffer." She grinned and pointed her thumb at her chest. "But I ain't afraid. I'm the last of my family. Besides, I've already lost so much, I'm used to it. Speaking of which, ain't it funny that of all the nobles in this country, the one who's home burns to the ground is the one speaking out against the status quo?"

The Queen let out a surprised scoff. "Surely... surely you do not propose that we had anything to do with that! Preposterous!"

The woman shrugged. "Who's to say? Maybe not. But it was an assassination attempt."

"Proof, woman!" The King slammed his fist against his arm rest. This outburst prompted two of the guards to inch closer to Lady Devolina. "What is your proof!?"

Aware of the guards but with little care for them, the woman casually reached into a side pack and pulled out a small sack. She tossed it at the King's feet, and it jingled loudly. "My personal bodyguards... yes, even I find the need to have them... were bribed quite generously to make sure they were out of the house the night of the fire. The entire staff was, though luckily, my guards are as noble and loyal as they are well paid, so I did not go up in flames in my sleep along with my family home and all my personal belongings. And I will not give in to such scare tactics or acts of terrorism. I'm not saying you were responsible, but it was obviously an act of someone who wants to silence the one standing up for the Thropes the most. "She grinned. "Who is to say how far up the ladder the order came from?"

The King had reached his boiling point. "Seize her!" He ordered, and the guards complied with little in the way of ease or comfort.

She struggled against them, and they found the task of her restraint difficult with her impressive strength, even with two of them. "Let me go! You have no right! I speak only the truth!"

"You speak nothing but slanderous remarks about the crown!" The King stood up and pointed an accusing finger. "You come in here to sow deceit and disloyalty. You insult the crown with your disrespect. You speak like a low class thug who has no place standing before us!"

"The Thropes will have their equal rights, with or without your permission!"

"Enough!" The King took a deep breath, and slowly sat back down. "Guards, take her away and have her ex-”

"Father, enough of this." A sweet sounding yet firm voice said off to the side. Stepping forward, the human princess of Themosa with violet touched hair and eyes looked at the king and queen, though not at the seized woman at all. She was shorter in stature than most young women her age and the brown almost maid-looking dress she was wearing purposely made her look flatter than she was. Yet her face had a subtle gorgeousness to it that was natural, needing no makeup to look stunning, though even a small amount of that was used to highlight her beauty. "Obviously I see your temper gets the best of you again. You are acting brash, just like this woman here. You do not want to come off as some low thug too, am I right?" Veronica said with a collected authority. "Please. See that this Thrope has merely been through strenuous times. She is not harmful. She hardly looks like she could hurt even a fly."

"And yet she has a tongue that could pierce a stone wall," her father muttered irritably. "You say we let her get away with this insolence?"

"Veronica has a point," the Queen stated, leaning over and speaking softly. "She is all talk and no substance. But if you were to do something rash like execute her after her home was lost, it could backfire. Turn her into a martyr and spark some uprising. Assuming she has anyone who truly cares what she has to say..."

The King grumbled. "What would you propose then... dear?"

"You could show a bit of benevolence and just let her go?" The violet haired princess suggested.

The King almost jumped from his seat. "Are... are you mad, child? She has shown nothing but disrespect! She is sowing discontent and defiance! She will return to make things worse!"

"Not if you take away her power," the Queen offered. "You can strip her of her nobility for her defiance. And because she is the last daughter of her family, the crown will inherit everything from the Devolina clan."

"But mother! You are stripping things from a woman who has already lost so much. Is this not just a little much at this point?" Veronica tried to point out.

The King have her a suspicious look. "Why do you care so much about this? What does this... ape of a woman and her conflicts, real or imagined, matter to you?"

"I am a princess, father. Is it not a prudent endeavor to build up my reputation at court until such a time that you have a son?" the noble girl questioned openly and courageously. "Until such a time, I am your heir. I want to live up to my dearest father's expectations, as well as the subjects."

The King blinked a few times, not expecting such a response. Adjust himself in his seat a bit, he said, "So, just... eject her from the castle with no punishment you say?"

"Well, I mean... You already yelled at her. Maybe... Give her... A small slap on the wrist before throwing her out?" From the meekness out of her, she was only trying to be as nice as possible.

The King sighed. "Very well. Guards... lock her in the cells for... will two hours suffice, dear?"

"That sounds like enough time to think about what she has done." Veronica said, crossing her arms.

The King waved for the woman to be taken away. She flashed Veronica a look that was hard to read as she was dragged out. The King sighed and looked back to his daughter. "You are a sweet young woman. Far too precious for this world, and I love you for it. But you'll need to toughen up a little. If we fail to produce a male heir, you will need to rule in my stead until you can find a husband to be king, and as you are... I fear people will walk all over you."

"Is that so? You forget in your befuddled state that I did not let you walk all over me." His daughter stated with a chipper smile, turning around and walking away with a pleasant melodic hum.

The King sat back in his seat, a frustrated sigh escaping his lips, but a proud smile appearing all the same.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Troubles Beyond Home
Part Six
(Starring MarineAvenger as the lovely Veronica!)

Hours later, the woman was shoved from the castle entrance, roughly landing in a puddle that was forming from a light rainfall. "Pissing asshat! You can't treat me like this! I might be a Thrope in Themosa, but I'm still a noble!"

The two guards laughed heartily. "A noble? You? Oh, that's funny. The little monkey is a little slow on the news."

She nursed a scrape on her arm as she glared up at them. "Don't give me that crap. I have pretty good hearing, and Ver... the princess convinced the King not to follow the Queen's proposal."

Again, they laughed. "The King might have a soft spot for the princess, but the Queen knows a few more... special spots on him. She talked to him after the princess walked off."

The other guard tossed a rolled up parchment at her. "Korra Devolina of the Devolina clan. By order of the King of Themosa, you are stripped of all rank and nobility. You are just a common citizen from this moment on. Furthermore, all your assets are to be transferred to your family."

"I... I don't have any..." Korra's eyes widened in shock. "You can't!"

The guard nodded. "As there is no one else in your family to collect it, all funds and property have been transferred to the crown treasury." He tipped his hat. "Good day, miss. And please... no commoners on castle grounds. Please remove yourself promptly or the other guards might just have to arrest you for trespassing."

"I'll rip your heart out and shove it up your ass!" Korra screamed as she charged him. "I'll kick your face in so hard, you'll be shitting teeth for a we-."

The other guard grabbed her tail and brought a swift knee up into her gut. The one she had grabbed for gave her a boot to the chest, sending her tumbling back into the puddle. They laughed one last time as they left her to writhe in pain. "Gods... these idiot Thropes..."

As the guards laughed, they promptly fell forward onto their faces. A figure walked past them surrounded in a black cloak with silver vinework embroidered in the cloth. She also wore a black long sleeve top and tight fitting breeches. Her face was shadowed from the hood. "Come on. Let's get to town. You look like you need a clean up." A firm voice told her, the violet glow of the person's eyes onset by magic use fading.

Korra looked up at her, and slowly nodded. A torrent of sadness and rage threatened to consume her, so she simply said nothing, walking off with the person with her head hung low.

Getting a room at a low profile inn was no problem, though finding one not so seedy that it had a shower system was not so easy. Luckily the pair found one, and with a generous amount of coin, got their stay extra private. As Korra scrubbed herself in the shower's bathroom, the figure sat on the bathroom sink's countertop, one leg over the other. Her cloak currently hung on a peg near the room door, and Veronica's face looked rather somber. "I'm sorry. I tried what I could without overstepping my bounds."

"You shouldn't have tried anything," Korra responded sadly. "You put yourself out there for me, and I appreciate it. But I'm not worth you going down with me."

"Oh, hush up. Don't you dare try and downplay your importance. You are for a just cause. One I fully support mind you. You Thropes are important to me and my kind however we try and not see that. Now hurry up in there. I need to patch up that scrape. You can rub yourself down later, you lecher." The princess teased her peer.

Korra laughed, and grabbed her towel. "If nothing else, you know how to make me smile." She wrapped her bushy hair up before getting another towel. She wrapped her body up tight before stepping out, less her bust pop it right off. She looked down at her arm. "It's not too bad," she said defiantly.

"I don't care. Tough men die every day from infections they think are nothing." Reaching over, she grabbed a small roll of gauze. Standing up, Ver went over and dabbed the spot with a dry cloth, then began wrapping it tightly. "I... I am so sorry Korra. I really... truly am."

Korra slowly nodded her head. "It isn't your fault. It... it's mine. As usual, I lost my temper. Stuck my foot in my mouth. And now... it's all over."

"No, it is not over. Stop that nonsense right now." Veronica chastised the monkey Thrope. "You aren't done yet. Not so long as I am around." Finishing up with the tying, Ver reached over and grabbed a small handbag, shoving it into Korra's bosom. "Take these. They’re banknotes. You can use them to withdraw all the money you lost without the king knowing at all."

"What?!" Korra looked in the bag and gasped. "A-are you crazy? What if your father finds out you were involved in this?! Do you have any idea how much trouble you'll be in?!"

"I can handle myself, Korra." Veronica told Korra softly, putting her hands over the flap to close it, then patted the monkey woman's hand. "I am not taking no for an answer. You will leave here no longer a noble, but not a destitute. I won't allow you to... to use your body or anything unsavory to fuel your progression. That kind of stuff makes monsters. You... you are a pure, fiery heart. And I believe in you."

Korra put her free hand over Veronica's. "That means... more to mean that you could know." She took a deep breath. "Alright... I can do this. I won't quit until I show this country my kind won't stand for this. I have my fellow mistreated Thropes. I have my Thrope noble backers, even if they refuse to step into the light to be seen. I have Bethany and Terra, who are treated as such outcasts they might as well be Themosan Thropes. And... I have you, Ver."

"Yeah. Your revolution can work. You just have to believe." The princess said sweetly, trying to pull away her hand.

Korra gripped it tightly. "It will work. We just need a show of force. And who better to inspire hope and a sense of us being just then the Kingdom's princess, standing at my side?”

"B-But... Korra, you know I can't. I... I want to help you but this is... too fast. I need time to plan things out and..." she said in a scared tone.

Korra shook her head, holding her hand ever tighter. "I can't do this without you. We... can't do this without you. I'm sorry, Veronica, but I need our princess one way or another. I... I'm not leaving without you." She gave her human companion a look of complete, unmoveable seriousness as she continued to grip her hand.

"Korra, you know they won't stop looking for you. You'll never get away with this!" Veronica threatened.

Korra shook her head again. "My mind's made up. I... I'm sorry. But I’m not leaving without you."

Last edited:

ExoGrim

Adapting

Melinda briefly wandered the premises of the manor, enjoying the various paintings and antique along the halls. After a little while, the shadowmancer found herself in the field that was the training grounds. She was fascinated by the lush grass field. Noticing the many training dummies among the grassy field, she prepped her sword and dagger, seeing if there was a free target to practice on.

A small duck Thrope stood in front of one of the dummies, hacking and slashing angrily away at it. The wind around her roared fiercely in her ears, almost like a way of blocking out her surroundings. She refused to acknowledge the person standing behind her, even when she had noticed the wind shift with the person’s appearance.

Liara was swinging at a training dummy with both her short swords, instead of using her shield. She had decided to drop her defensive and practice her offensive. Liara’s only thoughts were if it was her fault Faith and Titania fought.

Melinda looked between the two Thropes, intrigued by their animalistic figures. Having taken note of the Duck child’s magic blocking her off in some way, Melinda approached the pale one. A shadow tendril lightly poked the Leopard Thrope’s shoulder. “Ummm… may I ask where those ears of yours come from?”

Liara froze from being touched by something and turned around with her head tilted out of curiosity. “My...ears?” Liara asked confused as to such a question.

“Yes… I’ve never seen such a thing on a civilized creature before.” The pale woman explained. “But I have heard of such beings… are you a Thrope by chance?”

“I am a Thrope, a snow leopard to be exact.” Liara replied to the pale lady. “My name is Liara by the way… what’s yours?”

“My name is Melinda Silendis.” The lady answered, before turning to the duck child. “Do you know her by chance? She seemed to have anger issues.”

“You know… I can hear you… perfectly fine… from here… right?!” Faith yelled to the judgemental lady over the sound of the wind rushing around her, talking between strikes.

“Oh… my apologies.” Melinda jumped at the sudden outburst, but maintained her form. “If I had known, I would’ve confronted the issue from its source, rather than try to find a backline into it.”

As Faith stopped swinging, the air around her quieted back to its normal quiet existence. She turned to the lady slowly, making sure that the lady knew she wasn’t taking anybody’s BS. She walked towards the group of women anyways, getting bored and tired of her “coping mechanism”. “I suppose that you could have done that if you did, yes.” She sighed, waiting for them to continue talking.

“Well, if there is a problem, don’t be afraid to speak it out.” The pale woman stated. “The only way to make progress towards freedom is to let out your soul to others.”

“No, no. It’s okay. Please, continue. Don’t let my existence distract your beautiful conversation.” Faith semi-sarcastically assured, holding up a hand defensively.

Melinda tilted her head, thinking for a moment. A grin suddenly touched the woman’s face. “I know what you need… perhaps a sparring match? It would help you blow off some steam.”

“Tell the battle-obsessed freak that. I already beat my anger to submission like I did that dummy. I don’t want to hurt anybody, to be honest. I am too angry to control what I do by this point. I’d prefer you fight her over me, anyways. Too tired for beneficial combat.” Faith pointed at the snow leopard Thrope for her disrespectful comment.

Melinda turned to Liara. “Not taking mind of the rudeness… perhaps that would be a fair trade. What do you have to say?”

“I may not be as battle obsessed as she may think, but I’m always down to strive to push my limits.” Liara replied to Melinda, smiling.

“Well, you know this field better than I do.” The pale woman replied. “And perhaps maybe our little friend can watch.”

“I think I would enjoy watching that. If I’m not as pissed afterwards, I’ll think about giving you a challenge myself. Also, I apologize for my terrible first impression. Not in a good mood right now.” Faith covered her head with her hood, casting an irritable shadow over her eyes.

Melinda nodded and turned back to Liara. “Lead the way.”

“Alright, just one question: sword and shield or dual wield?” Liara asked, getting excited to push herself against someone new. “Also, should we go all out or hold back?”

“I have no real preference…” Melinda took a moment to load a round into her dagger. “Do what you feel comfortable with.”

“Well, seeing your weapons I’ll go sword and shield, as for the other thing let's go all out.” Liara said, grabbing her shield whilst getting into a protective stance.

Melinda looked at the Thrope, examining the form of the warrior. After a brief moment, a tendril spiked out of Melinda’s shadow, aiming for Liara’s shoulder.

Liara reacted, instantaneously moving her shield in the way of the “thing” and prepared for another attack from her opponent.

The shadowmancer smirked. She launched two more tendrils at the warrior, seeing how the Thrope would react to the increased assault.

Before the shadow tendrils could hit Liara, a vortex of wind roared around them, creating a circle around them to fight within. “Thought I’d increase the stakes a bit. This way, Liara can’t be so defensive all the time. You’re welcome. Now, continue. I will just shine my bejeweled shoes and gloves over here.” Faith proceeded to do just that after sitting down. She actually smiled at her power-increasing possessions even though she was still slightly irritated.

Liara just stared at the vortex and grinned, dropping her shield and slid it into the vortex. She then pulled out her other sword and got into an offensive stance. “Let's do this then.” Liara said gleefully.

Melinda returned the grin. “It’s also fun to see one push themselves out of their comfort zone.” The pale woman stood in place, pushing the button on her longsword as she made a wide arc. The blade began to split apart… still held together by a thin wire.

The shield Liara stupidly and mindlessly tossed into the vortex flew into the air for Faith to catch in perfect condition. “You are such an idiot…” Faith muttered to herself, judging Liara’s actions. “What if I hadn’t actually cared to keep it from becoming shredded? Did you even think about that? Geez, you are so stupid sometimes…”

Liara lunged towards Melinda, using one sword to block the wip and the other sword to attack. “I like your weapon. How did you get it?” Liara asked.

Melinda didn’t even bother trying to redirect her blade to do damage. Everything was already in place. As Liara made her forward assault, the shadows that still lay on the ground began to wrap around her leg. After obtaining its grip, the shadow crawled its way up the warrior’s body… slowly immobilizing her. Melinda retracted her whip, pointing her dagger pistol at her face. “Sad that it’s not even the full extent of what I can do.”

“Well… this is quite the predicament.” Liara said, still smiling. “But I’m not done trying either.” Liara then tested her strength against the “things” binding her. “Also, please don’t shoot… I want to see if I can get out on my own.”

Melinda chuckled. “Magic is not so easy to break. My shadow is enchanted by my ever binding will and follows my every command. I can keep you there as long as I please.” Two tendrils formed behind Melinda, giving her a seat for the show. “But, if you wish to attempt… feel free to try your hand at a power that will always grow.”

ExoGrim

Adapting part 2

“Thanks for not shooting me, but I personally think anything is possible so don’t count me out yet.” Liara said, using all her strength to fight back against her bindings.

“Better hurry up. This is getting boring real quick.” The vortex around the two fighters shrunk after Faith lazily noted her increased lack of interest.

Melinda sighed. “I didn’t want to do this.” A large cloud of dark energy erupted from Melinda, blinding all in the area. When the cloud faded, Melinda’s sword was positioned against Faith’s neck.

“This was not necessary. If you wanted to complain about something, you could’ve just told me. If you want to kill me… Well, by this point, I don’t think I really care what you do.” Faith looked into Melinda’s eyes, showing how serious she was. The vortex she had created was gone without a trace.

Melinda smirked. “Not that it would go well if I killed a member. I always wonder why people resort to the idea that we are all out to kill one another. Yet another mystery of the building blocks we call society.” The pale woman sheathed her sword and released Liara as she walked away. “Though, my questions about myself are more important…”

Faith rubbed her neck through her robes before sighing. “If you wanted to disperse my magic, blinding me was enough. The fact that you put your blade to my neck provides another message that you are refusing to acknowledge. You say that a blade to the throat isn’t a death threat? The message when one does that action says otherwise. So, yet again, I say that the blade to the throat was unnecessary unless there was another motive behind it that I’m missing,” Faith hinted as she stood up, waiting for her response and ignoring her curiously abnormal attitude.

“I’ve faced worse.” The shadowmancer responded. “But… I am still adapting to this strange way of living. There are many things that civilized people do that I still don’t understand.”

“Whatever. Anyways, you had your victory against me, so don’t expect me to give you a fair fight now. I’m leaving.” Faith turned to the manor with a scowl on her face, slightly hidden by the hood, and walked inside.

“Thank you for showing me your power. Now I have something to work towards beating, but for now I think I should get some rest and eat something. So, farewell for now.” Liara said cheerfully, walking away.

Melinda, now alone on the field, merely looked up at the slowly darkening sky. “Perhaps they will eventually adapt to my way of life. I am a street rat, after all.”

ExoGrim

Society's allies

The Havenbrook manor
Mar 31 3049
2:45 PM

Charter was outside his wolves den with Slone behind him, Charter was sitting on a rock sharpening his sword with the sharpening stone that he got as a gift from his lover. “Slone how long have we been doing this? You and me have been fighting bandits, magic users, monsters and gods knows what else in this world. And yet here we are, you with your pups and me… Well still me.” Slone licked his partner to distract him from his train of thought, and continued to lick him.

“Alright alright, I love you to boy, you're definitely the best partner a knight can ask for.”

Melinda wandered the outside the manor, noticing the man maintaining his blade. “Oh, sir Charter… nice to see you again.”

Charter heard a familiar voice and turned around. “Oh I remember you, you're Melinda right? Haven’t seen you in a while, did you find what you were looking for?”

“No I haven’t… but I found a way to find them.” The pale woman responded. “This guild should help me find those answers and possibly more.”

“So you decided to join us huh, well welcome to our guild. Sorry that our first meeting turned sour with me offering you a drink of wine. Sorry about that… didn't know you didn't drink.”

Melinda looked at Charter confused. “But I do drink. The consumption of liquids is required for our survival… is it not?”

“Then, why did you say the wine I offered was a horrid drink then?” Slone looked at the woman and walked up to her smelling her recognizing her sent.

“Because it did.” Melinda answered, still confused. “What kind of material do they put in that drink to make it so badly flavored?”

“Grapes, smashed grapes, and a bunch of other things that I don’t know about. Slone come back, I’m sure the woman doesn't want you sniffing her.”

“But grapes are a flavorful fruit.” The woman retorted. “What could possible be in that drink to tarnish such a taste?”

“Don’t know, some people take to the taste of wine differently. To some it’s a fine drink that is unrivaled by anything else, to others it taste like water. And to some it’s bitter, horrible taste that they will never have again, but I’m getting off track. So where do you come from, are you far from home like many of us?”

“I came here from Bevland.” Melinda answered. “Though, I wasn’t as fortunate as most.”

“Really, what’s your story then? You didn’t travel far like the rest of us, so what makes you unfortunate?”

Melinda paused for a moment. “I have little knowledge of my family or my life. All I know was that my mother was born with a terminal illness and that the other people say me as a freak of nature. I was born being shunned and often attacked. I never understood why… but I knew one thing: society was different and I had to adapt to that.”

“Sorry to hear that, I know a woman that also had it rough in life. Though I don’t think she wants me talking about her or mentioning it to others, so why do they call you a freak of nature?”

“I wish I knew.” Melinda admitted. “It might’ve just been the fact that I was homeless and what they referred to as a ‘street rat.’ I, however, feel like it was something else. If I could figure out who my father was… then maybe I could find some more answers.”

“And that’s why you're here, looking for answers. Well then I do hope you find what you're looking for, as for me… well, I’m just a knight that wants to protect the people of the world, and do what is right.”

“That’s always something worth working towards.” The pale woman stated. “Some people need others to watch over them and make sure they’re safe.”

“That’s what I live for, I live to serve the realm but then something happened… I took back my oath and became my own person, now there is no oath saying I have to protect this guild and the people in it. And the woman I care for, I would give my life for theses people and in turn they will protect me.”

Melinda thought for a moment. “Interesting… not all of society is bent on this idea of the survival of the fittest.” She muttered.

“If you see what I see, you would say otherwise, and see that people are more cruel than what you think they are.”

Melinda paused, seeming to shake a little. “Trust me… I know how cruel society can be.”

“Then you understand why I think like this, or I did. Now I live for the people here and that means you too, even if you don’t want it.” Slone returned to his master side and tackled him and started to lick him. “Ugh Slone stop it, stop.” Charter rubbed Slone’s head and hugged him.

Melinda began to giggle lightly. “I think petting him will just encourage him to continue.”

Slone got off his master and wagged his tail, and again tackled Charter and licked him. “I know, but that’s why I love him he keeps me in check.”

“I am envious of your bond.” The pale woman admitted. “Never have I seen such a friendship between two races.”

“Nor has any other, but he’s my comrade and I will do anything for him and he will do the same for me. Anyway, welcome to the guild Melinda. I hope we work together soon.”

“Thank you. I hope that we can help each other whenever possible… since I still have to repay you for helping me in the forest.”

“I’m a knight m’lady. My service is all I ask for as a reward, you owe me nothing. Let’s go Slone.” Slone stood straight, and followed his master into the woods.

Melinda watched the knight walked away. “Nice fellow.” She muttered as she made her way back to the inner section of the manor.

Dahlexpert

The Vampire to command legions started here

Venakin castle

Mar 20 3049

1:25 PM

As Alice looked at her castle and the sprites that haunt it, as castle itself was restored to its former glory. Candles now light the chandeliers of the house, and the cobwebs and the dust that covered the rotten bookshelves and furniture’s all around the house have been replace with new ones. As Alice stands on her balcony she looks at her live puppet Crixus. “Tell me Crixus what do you know of bandits?”

“They are a wild bunch my lady, untrained and undisciplined lot but they have numbers and they overwhelm there targets. They rarely go after villages and towns unless they have the numbers, and there are little guards why do you ask?”

“While my undead are a good means of an army, and killing is easy but I fear if enough undead start rooming around and people will hire a large amount of people to kill not only the undead but also the necromancer that brought them back to life. But bandits, bandits are plentiful they have no end and sight and also if they attack a village or a town they would go after their leader. But if there leader is far away and the people think they killed the leader the bandits will just keep on going.”

“You plan on getting bandits on your side mam? I hate to say this but if they knew of your plans, they won’t be so eager to join.”

“Why not, before the world dies they would have all the food wine and gold and silver they could ever want. Who would not want that?”

“I’m not talking about the pleasure of looting, how will you convince cutthroats to join you in your take over the world?”

Alice looked at Crixus and swirled a glass of blood and drank it. “Bandits care about money right they can have all the money in the world with me because I don’t care for it, food they can enslave the farmers and force them to work for them.”

“But mam there is still the question, how will you make bandits fight for you? I fight for you because my own people turned on me because I killed our leader, how will you convince these savages to join you!?”

Alice looked at her servant it being the first time he shouted at her, Alice smiled at him and rubbed his head. “Ou don’t worry about it my boy I can make my case to these savages, all they need is a show of force.” Alice drank the last of her blood drink and grabbed her hood. “I will be heading out now if I read the maps correctly then there is a group of bandits south of here, I will get them to join my cause.”

“You’re leaving now, but the sun.”

“If you’re so worried about me then come along then, I can see if your training has paid off.” Alice went to one of her many rooms and grabbed a brown haired wig and put in some contacts that made her eyes Emerald like green. “Now then my loyal servant let us get moving.”

“Yes my lady and what about the undead you been collecting for the past week?”

“Ou there coming along to, if any oppose me then they will be dealt with now then let’s move forward!” Alice stepped outside the change in the weather started to get to her, immediately even with her hood on her head she can fell the sun’s rays through her skin made it start to boil through her close.

“Ugh I hate the sun more than anything, but I have to endure it, come along my darlings we have work to do.” Inside the castle the undead came out in droves at least seventy undead came to her side as her and Crixus marched to the nearest bandit camp, after a few hours of traveling through the woods to avoid the roads and people seeing a undead army. And the woods would be were most bandits would hide out, Alice and her small army came across a small camp with a wood wall surrounding the camp as well as a watch tower.

The archers that were on the watch tower saw the mass number of undead and fired upon them. “Aw how cute there trying to fight back, storm the towers!” Alice shouted, once she gave the orders her undead minions charged the towers. The bandits see the horde coming and decided to retreat.

“And just where do you think you’re going?” The bandits turned around to see Alice right behind them both. Alice slammed one of the bandits head right into the ground knocking him out instantly the other tried to punch Alice but she blocked his attack, and bit into his neck draining him of blood and hypnotizing the man and bringing him to her side. “Great now then my little archer, I need you to go back to your camp and bring your leader out here ok my little archer.”

“Yes mam will do so with pleasure.” As the archer ran back to his camp Alice looked at the other archer she knocked out and decided to have him tied up. “Now we fallow our new fried, Crixus move forward and wait for my signal be sure you can see me so you can see my signal.”

“Yes mistress.” As Crixus and Alice moved forward towards the camp, Crixus took the undead soldiers into the sides using the trees as cover so the bandits won’t see the undead soldiers coming.

As the archer made his way back to the camp, and ran to his leader. “Boss boss, we have a problem, there is this woman she she took the watch tower by herself she wanted to face you herself.”

“Face me, a bounty hunter huh it’s been a while since I fought someone and she’s demanding me to face her heh how cocky.” The bandit leader stood up and grabbed his duel axes and headed outside once outside the bandit leader saw a woman wearing what looked like regular pants and a leather like shirt with long sleeves and a hood.

“Ou so you’re the leader, nice to meet you I will be taking your men now.”

The bandits and there leader started to laugh. “You want to take my gang huh what makes you think that my boys will fallow you you broad.”

Alice looked at the bandiets around her and saw that there was at least fifteen in total including the one on her side and the one she knocked out. “Listen here, my name is Alice and I come to offer you a chance at greatness, to loot raid and enslave those we come across. I also offer you to be pirates to attack ships which has plenty of food water gold silver, I offer you a chance to be rich beyond what you are and whatever gold you take you get to keep all of them unlike with your boss who keeps damn near all of it. Join me and you will get what he has tenfold.”

The bandits started to look at their boss, and at each other some are tempted by Alice proposal. Their leader looked around and saw that some were tempted by Alice offer and started to get angry by it. “Ou to hell with your offer woman, when I kill you I will kill those that doubt me and put their heads on a spike.

The bandit leader charged at Alice and swung one of his Axes at Alice and the other one, but Alice just dodge the attacks as the bandits leader keeps swinging at Alice she kept dodging the blows almost like she’s toying with him and tripped him putting him on the ground. The other bandits chuckled at their boss.

“Ou to hell with this, die bitch.” The bandit threw a dirt at Alice but it missed. Alice then grabbed his hand and took one of his axes, he then tried to swing his other axe at her but she grabbed the back of the axe and took it to. As the rest of the bandits look on as there leader Is on the ground looking around as his gang looks on.

Alice then slammed one of the axes into the bandits back, as the other bandits looked on Alice planted the other axe into his skull. Alice thin pulled out the axes and looked at them. “Nice weapons I think I’ll keep them.” Alice then looked around and looked at the other bandits and there dead leader and went into the main camp hut and looked at a chest. Alice whistled and Crixus and her undead came into the camp, Crixus and the archer grabbed the chest and poured them on to the ground reveling plenty of gold silver and copper coins and how much there was. “This is all yours if you join me and my army, those that wish to join me kneel and be spared.”

The bandits looked around at the undead and the treasure in front of them, some kneeled to Alice while the rest looked on. After a while they took a knee and put their weapons to the ground.

“Wonderful, one group down more to go soon I will have my army but we do need a name hum.” Alice rubbed her head to come up with a name for her bandit clan and finally found one. “Rise my Warsong Raider’s, rise to a better future, one filled with as much gold and blood that we can get!” The bandits cheered and chanted there new raider name.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Frostlich1228 & ZombieSplitter53
Dreams within Dreams
Part One

Birds chirped loudly as they flew overhead, the bright sun beaming down on Magdalene's modest little family farmstead. Sitting on the porch in a wooden chair, the sheep looked out and over the fields of Wheat and Cotton as she smiled contently. Suddenly, she could hear her sisters open the door behind her.

Carol leaned her over-sized bust over the back of a nearby bench, the obvious product of her affinity to cows alongside the occasional black splotch on her darker skin and small horns on her head. The long haired brunette looked out with her sister before rubbing her wool with her right hand. "What're you doin out here Maggie? Food's on the table you know. You're gonna miss it."

"I'm just... Enjoying the day..." She replied as the wind blew past, shaking the leaves of the lone tree in their yard. "Besides, they wouldn't eat without me."

Carol rolled her eyes. "You're always the smart one huh? Fine, we won't eat without ya, but it's getting cold, pop's going to get pretty peeved if his hard work goes cold."

Mags heard the door again as her youngest sister came out to greet her. Selene was wearing a cooking apron, a lighter, less rugged attire than Carol's worker version. Selene's affinity was that of a Mocking Bird, grey feathers could be seen close to her skin, running up her arm and leaning to her most defining feature, her bright yellow eyes. Her black hair, a trait from her affinity as her family was mostly brunette, was tied up in a bun to keep it out of her face. She smiled lightly before chirping in her high pitched, almost sing-songy voice. "Maggie. The stew an' everything is ready. Come on in."

"Oh, you know I can't refuse that..." Mags giggled as she stood up. "Let's go."

"Finally we can eat!" Carol grinned, almost pulling her two sisters through the oak doorway of their family's moderately sized log home.

As they reached the dinner table, Maggie saw the spread, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies of all types and a large ham, drizzled in a sugary glaze that made it sheen slightly.

Magdalene looked up from the food and spotted her father sitting at the end of the large rectangular table. He looked like the average brown haired, middle aged human from the top, save for his thick mane of hair, currently tied back. It was his lower body that revealed his horse affinity, with long, thick haired legs that ended in a solid hoof and a thick brown tail protruding from his waist. "There's my girls. What were you doin out there Mags?"

"Nothin' pa. Just looking out over the field." The Sheep replied, sitting down in a row with her sisters. "Where's Ma?"

The Horse Man waved it off, "She's upstairs in the restroom cleanin up. She said we could dig in without her."

Selene seemed hesitant to, but Carol as usually just dug right in, their Father just rolling his eyes at her. "You eat like you haven't had a meal in a year." He chuckled.

"Ihm ah ghrowin gurl." The Cow said with a mouth full of food, Mags simply looking on with a happy smile on her face.

Without warning, the peace and tranquility of the moment was broken by a sudden crack of thunder. It came out of nowhere, no sign of a storm coming, and yet as the family's hearts raced, they gazed out the Windows to find the blackest of skies. "Wha-What!?" Magdalene gripped the windowsill. "There wasn't a storm cloud for miles!"

Even Carol had stopped enjoying her meal to examine the clouds. "That's ah lotta lightning. Pa, should we bring the animals in!?"

The Horse looked around frantically before giving a sigh of relief, "They're all already. I didn't want em running around without an eye on em while we were eating. Selene, are your birds inside?"

The smaller Bird girl nodded, "Yeah Pa, last I checked everyone was tucked in."

"Good... We should be able to ride this out en'" Their Father said, about to move from the window.

Another bolt struck, striking The house itself. The force was enough to shatter the window, throwing shards into his back. "Dad!" Selene screamed as shards of glass flew into her father's back, blood running down like a river. Carol and Magdalene quickly rushed to their father's side, looking him over.

Mags turned to her sister quickly. "Is he okay!?"

Carol checked his pulse, then replied. "He's breathing... We need to get those shards out.... Selene get away from the Windows!"

The Bird quickly replied, moving into the center of the room.

It was the oddest of storms. There was barely any wind. No rain, at least not yet. But the thunder and lightning was awful, like the skies themselves were attacking the house. Again, a bolt slammed into the house, striking somewhere upstairs with a crash.

It took a few seconds to register, but a terrible realization hit the sisters at the same time. "Th-that hit upstairs..." Selene replied in a shaky voice.

"Ma!" Carol screamed, running upstairs before Mags could do anything. The Cow found only burning wood and smoke where thier master bedroom and bathroom had been. The Cow frantically tried to remove the burning logs and wood blocking the path up the stairs, but there was simply too much of it, and despite realizing she was making hardly any progress, Carol continued.

Magdalene looked over to Selene quickly, "Quick, get downstairs to the basement!"

"I... I... I..." The Little bird stood frozen.

"Carol!" Mags yelled, "F-Forget her... We need you down here!"

The Cow huffed as she lifted another log only to cause a collapse of burning wood to trap her foot in the rubble. "Dammit!"

"Carol!" Mags rushed to the stairs, grabbing Selene in one arm as she regretfully left thier Father on the kitchen table.

"Help me! My leg! Dammit!" The Cow swore as more lightning cracked, desperately trying to dislodge herself before the flames reached her.

Magdalene quickly rushed forward, and after a few moments of combined effort from the three sisters, the log was pushed up enough for Carol to slide her foot out. The Sheep huffed with fatigue as she spoke. "Quick, lets grab Dad and get to the basement! We'll be safe there!"

More and more, the thunder raged as they struggled to move their father. Out the windows, they could see bolts strike the grounds, electric explosions leaving charred patches and set grass and bushes aflame. The world around them was going to Hell as the moved under the house, the dark corners of the room like swirling vortexes of fear and sadness.

As they all huddled in the corner of the basement, trying to get as far away from the door as possible, Selene looked into space with a vacant expression, silently muttering to herself. "M-My birds... M-Mom..."

Mags quickly wrapped her arm around her sister again, trying to comfort her as Carol picked up a first aid kit and got to work removing the glass shards still embedded in her Father's back.

The storm beat down above. It got louder. Louder. Like a living being was slamming against the building, ripping it apart in an attempt to get to the Thropes. As they cowered, from deep within the shadows of the corner behind them, an arm reached out, clawed and a leathery black. It held its hand close, an aura of dark energy flowing to it from Mags.

Suddenly, Mags felt something change. As if something had been stirred deep within her mind from that act. The creature could feel the same as well, as if it had tripped an alarm and alerted something, something which was now barreling towards it.

Magdalene suddenly stood up, looking at her sisters and reevaluating the situation around her when suddenly, out of the shadows on the other side of the room, stepped out a small, innocent looking lamb.

The creature hesitated. Reality had shifted in a why it hadn't controlled, or even predicted. Turning into black smoke, it crept along the walls until it was behind the lamb, then reformed and reached out for the foreign entity.

As the creature's hand closed in, a dark mist formed around them as the lamb's head unnaturally twisted 180 degrees. Ah... You're the source. I could feel something foreign shifting my domain haphazardly about. I should've recognized the work of my own kin.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dreams within Dreams
Part Two

The Night-gaunt recoiled. This one was different. Smarter. Separated. Dangerous. Claws extended, it set out to claw the little lamb to death. It had to be destroyed.

The lamb sensed this, a wall of black arms rising up from the floor to block the blow. Clawing it's way over the wall, the intruder saw the lambs true form, twisting horns, wool, and a meatier, larger physique. Well well... Has Mistress decided I am no longer of use to her? No... No... Certainly not... You hadn't expected me, did you?

Magdalene's Nightgaunt sent one of his claws through the barricade of arms like a spear, hoping to impale his meddling brother.

It turned to smoke at the last moment, though their shared natured seemed to cause it pain all the same. It quickly wisped up to the ceiling before reforming. It twisted its neck to look down at the mutant lamb. Why?

Why? What a curious question... I am studying the world beyond, learning, through her. I have anchored myself here, rather than being transitory, collecting one morsel at a time. The Faceless sheep creature looked up. The more pertinent conundrum is... Your purpose here, your goal is to escape from this realm yes? But your brazen attack on a brother gains you nothing and would merely anger our Mistress.

Mistress... dreams. Gone. We will find her. Will leave. You... The intruder lunged for him. Divergent!

Mags' guardian was caught off guard, which slammed it into the ground. The sheep monster quickly transformed into smoke, sinking into the floor and reforming behind the intruder, attempting to ram it upwards with It's horns.

It flew up and slammed into the ceiling, the wood cracking in an unusual way. Light seemed to gleam out of the cracks. The intruder shifted its body so it was facing down, claws out as it stretched its arms.

The Nightgaunt raised up another wall to block the attack, but before it could counter, something breached the wall of fog surrounding the both of them. A pitchfork suddenly flew through the shadowy barrier, directed towards the intruder.

It slammed into its abdomen, the creature unable to defend during an attack. It flew back and was pinned to the wall. It let out an unearthly moan, looking around for the source of the attack.

Pushing her way through the mist was the sheep girl, almost surprised she had hit it. She looked around, unable to see where her dream friend had gone, but currently aware enough of her dreaming state that she could identify that the Intruding Nightgaunt was a threat that didn't belong there.

The Night gaunt slowly turned to smoke to get away from the pitchfork. The lightning continued to strike, but something was off about it. It was almost as if it was in the room with them, or like nothing, including the lightning, extended beyond the immediate area. After a thunderous crack, more cracks appeared. In the ceiling. In the walls. In the very air itself. Escape. The creature slowly moved towards Mags, trying to draw power from her emotions.

Now unarmed, there was little Mags could do on her own. Lamb chose his actions for only a moment before attempting to slam into the intruding Nightgaunt while still invisible to the sheep-girl, revealing to her that something else was indeed there with her.

The intruding creature flew into the flew, slamming into it and through it. It continued to fly off until it was out of sight. Beyond the hole it left behind, Megs could see an expansive world of vibrant colors. More was revealed as the small bubble of a world she now found herself in crumbled away until all that was left was the basement floor and her cowering sisters.

The world beyond seemed infinite, going on forever in every direction. Sense and logic had little meaning here. Visible wisps of magic floated in the air. A waterfall of violet water poured upwards, at least from the sheep woman's perspective. Shadowy beings of various size floated to and fro, paying her no mind. And dotted among the landscape were small bubbles of radiant, glowing colors.

Mags looked back to where the fight had taken place, covering a gasp as she witnessed the true form of her dream friend. The Towering creature tilted it's head at her for a moment before realization hit it. Ah... You can see me... The Shattering of the walls of your mind must've had the unintentional side effect of breaking my illusion.

Mags looked the creature up and down, noting most of all the sheep's wool and lack of face, the latter something the other creature shared. "M-Mr Lamb... You're... Just like that other creature... I know what you are! I didn't realize it sooner... You're a Nightgaunt, aren't you?"

Yes, I am your dream friend. I have hidden this form from you, choosing instead to take on the visage of 'Mr. Lamb'. I am well aware your kind tells much of mine and little of it positive.

"So... You chose to hide your true form..." Magdalene confirmed.

Indeed. I have been with you for a long time, my little sheep. I found you on the day of your birth, you were trapped here, in this place, with no hope of escape. I freed you. It explained as the colors of the place shifted and swirled.

"I... I just remember you always being there..." The Girl stated, taken aback some. "You freed me? How?"

By gifting you with a modicum of my power over this world. This allowed you to break free from this place. In exchange, I would watch this world through your eyes for a chance to escape. It stated, realizing her realization of her power's origin, and her reply, before she said it. While that was my goal before, I have grown... Fond of you... What you have heard of my kind is not untrue, we seek a foothold in your world at the behest of our Mistress. While that is still my goal, I have a ulterior motive now. Your protection.

"My protection? You want to... Protect me?" The young girl confirmed. "That... Makes sense... I always trusted you for a good reason then... But... Where are we? What do I call you? What is this place?"

You may call me Baphomet. That is the name my Mistress chose for me.
He replied, looking off. And this, is the dreamscape. The confluence of dreams and the mind. A yawning chasm of shifting desires and hopes, fears and despairs.

"Who's there?" Far beyond Mags' shattered dream bubble, a voice both right upon them and far away seemed to float about them. "Please... is there someone here with me? I beg of you... answer my call so I might find you."

Magdalene called out to the voice and Baphomet allowed it without protest. "Hello? Who's out there?"

"I am trapped here," the voice called back. "I beg of you, if you would only tell me your name."

"I'm-I'm Magdalene... You're trapped here..." The Sheep thought back on what Baphomet had said mere moments before.

"Magdalene... yes! I know you, of course!"

Mags suddenly found herself surrounded by a white aura. The last of her dream faded away. Her family disappeared, replaced by four white orbs that flowed into Mags and filled her with a sudden rush of contentedness. As the 'basement' completely vanished, one more orb of light flowed into her, and the Sheep woman couldn't help but smile, feeling like she was in the loving grip of her mother for a moment.

With that, she was off, flying to who-knew-where with Baphomet following closely. As she floated along at speeds that were impossible to judge, she would occasionally pass the dream bubbles. As she did, they became transparent and she could briefly look within. In one, she saw someone that look like a Netzi she knew, only a lot younger and in the arms of another his age. In another, it briefly looked like her own dream, but she could see herself through someone else's eyes. A dream of one of her sister's, perhaps?

Finally, after what could have been hours or moments for all Mags could perceive, she found herself landing on a flat, floating rock. Before it was an exceptionally large dream bubble. "Please, child... step forward so I might see you."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dreams within Dreams
Part Three

Stepping forward with apprehension, Mags still felt like she could trust the voice for a reason she couldn't quite explain. "H-Hello?"

Like the others, the bubble became transparent as she stepped up to it. Within, a woman of great beauty, with pale white skin and long, flowing black hair placed her hand against the side of the dream space. "Magdalene. Sweet little Maggy. Though... I suppose no one has used that nickname in a long time. My, how you have grown into a lovely young woman."

Placing her hand against the barrier parallel to hers. "W-Who are you?"

Baphomet's stood straight on two legs, giving her a extremely human-like, graceful bow. My Mistress... It has been a long time.

The woman gave him a pleased smile. "Baphomet the Divergent. It has been too long. When you first bonded with Magdalene, I feared it was a union I should have opposed, but I was intrigued by your willingness to let her wake. I am glad I gave you the room to express your unique will, and that you have kept her safe all this time."

Thank you Mistress, I was concerned that you would be dissatisfied with my protection of her. I am glad to say I was mistaken. The sheep Nightgaunt replied, politely.

"Mistress..." Magdalene looked between them. "You're Methos... You say you've been watching me? All this time?

The goddess nodded. "Oh, yes dear. I spend such little time in the waking world. And most here are asleep or... less then stellar conversationalist. Divergents like your dear guardian, with his level of intellect and freewill, are quite rare. So I spend much of my time watching mortals as the dream. And naturally, I am quite fond of those with a special attunement to the dreamscape. I feel close to them, as though they were my children. It is this closeness to the realm of dreams that caused your mind to be born here, and why Baphomet took an interest in you. As you can imagine, people like you are even more rare, and thus I... tend to covet you." She sunk her head down a bit. "Did that sound weird? I bet it sounded weird."

"Oh no no! I understand." Mags waved it off, smiling in awe at her beauty. "You seem so much... kinder than the stories tell... They paint you as some kind of monster who wishes to destroy the world, but I had a feeling that there had to be more to it. More to you."

Methos sighed sadly. "I fear... many of the stories hold truth. There was a time, long ago, when I dueled with the the gods of Light and the Sun. Fueled by my loneliness and grief, I sought to plunge the world into an ever lasting night and spread my dream realm into the mortal realm." She pressed her hands against the sides of the bubble, a desperate look on her face. "But I swear, nothing that has befallen you or the others is of my doing! I... I have nothing to offer that might... convince you that I speak the truth. But the truth it is, all the same."

"The others? You mean the bad dreams everyone's having?" The Sheep-Girl put two and two together. "Right... But... I don't understand, I was under the impression that all Nightgaunts worked for you."

As was I, or at least the majority... The Divergent Nightgaunt chimed in.

"They do. None can control them but the master of dreams. And if the master of dreams loses connection to them..." Methos shook her head. "Then they run free, searching for their mistress. You see, I am a goddess. But because of someone's foul play..." She waved her hand at Mags. "You are currently exhibiting more power in the dream realm then I can by simply standing there. I am not here because I wished to be." She uselessly pressed against the side of the bubble. "I am trapped. Trapped within a dream... within a dream."

"Trapped? But... Who could trap you? Is there anyway I can help you?" Mags asked, "I-I know I'm just a mortal... But there must be something..."

"Oh, my dear... you and your allies are probably the best suited to help me," Methos told her. "I do not know who trapped me, but it was a diabolical plan even I didn't know would work. While my physical body rested in the mortal realm, a spell was cast to put my austral body to sleep in the dream realm. What you see before is not my true self, but a projection of my true self. Worse yet, because I am so powerful within the dreamscape, my dream bubble is too strong for any to penetrate, even the nightgaunts."

She shook her head sadly. "And now, my nightgaunts blind devotion to me has come back to bite us. Without me, they are bound to the single minded goal of finding me. And in their flawed logic, they believe since humans come here when they fall asleep in the mortal realm, I must have gone to the mortal realm when I fell asleep here. I... I can not trust my fellow gods. Even if they would believe this is not some ploy of mine, only one of them could have done this to me, and I know not which one." Methos smiled at Mags. "But you... you, I can trust. And I do."

Mags closed her fists. "I-I'll do whatever I can. It seems we need to find you in the physical world and wake you there... R-Right?"

Methos let out an ecstatic laugh. "Yes, child! Oh... but it will be difficult to you to get to it from the mortal realm. You can, however, get to it from here if you find my austral body." Methos lifted a small necklace around her neck. "There are two real versions of this. One here, one on my physical body. Get the one here, and it can transfer you to my real body. But... but in order to get to my austral body, you will need allies. It will be well guarded by more loyal children, and unlike your friend here, they can not be reasoned with. Return to the waking world, find some allies, and bring them here. I will direct you to my austral body then. Please. Do this not just for me, but for all those who are now threatened by the half panicked Nightgaunts."

"I wonder who we should inform first... What about Zulik?" Mags asked, her attention pulled to the side by Baphomet.

If the gods cannot be trusted, then shouldn't we avoid the practitioners of those said gods as well? The Dark Elf is a ally of the god of vengeance. While she may be inclined to find the perpetrator, she is not inclined to help us. We should assume Zulik will believe the same. Just as well, if we tell him, and he contacts the gods for assistance, there is a unavoidable chance that our Prison Warden will know we are working to free her. Magdalene's Nightgaunt explained.

"I will trust the matter of who to contact to you, my dear." Methos gave her a hopeful smile. "If nothing else, you can ask the woman you work for. From her dreams, she seems trustworthy... if a bit of a troubled woman."

"Ms. Havenbrook? Of course... It is her hunters being the most affected right now..." Magdalene nodded, "You have my word, I'll do everything I can to assist you."

As with mine.

"I never thought I would be chosen for something like this... Like the heroes in my songs..." The Sheep locked eyes with Methos with an unusual determination. "But I will not stray, this is my path now. I must see it through."

"Anyone can be a hero. And I know you will be." Methos nodded to Baphomet. "Guide her back to the waking world. And watch over her. I am counting on you as well."

Of course Mistress. Come little one... Baphomet said, touching her hair with his long, slender fingers.

"Wait..." Mags stopped him. "Would you... Like me to keep you company while I dream? You said it yourself, you're lonely here."

Methos gave her a warm smile. "I would like that, dear. Perhaps, when this is over, you could keep me company. Nothing would make me happier."

The Sheep gave her a warm smile back as she took Baphomet's long, black hand. The Nightgaunt stepped up, floating off into the void with her. Magdalene looked back towards the goddess one more time, giving her a comforting smile as they left. Methos smiled back as they vanished. Once she was alone once more, she slowly walked back into her dream. The irony was not lost on her. What happened next, what date held for a goddess, was now in the hands of a determined farm girl and her unlikely ally. And all Methos could do is wait.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ExoGrim & ZombieSplitter53
Job Offers and Spreading Chaos
Part One

Stormrend
The Grinning Tanuki Club
April 1st, 3349
10:12 p.m.

It was karaoke night at the club tonight, something the owner insisted on regardless of popularity because he used it to scout talent, as well as exercise his own vocal skills. A couple sang an old pop song from across the sea. Below the stage, the band skillfully played along, even when they had to compensate for bad tempo, and a skilled witch read the lyrics and made them appear before the singers. Quite the bit of effort for a little extra fun, but it drew in the weekend crowd, and the proprietor was always eager to keep the club goers entertained.

As one entered, they would come face to face with a golden tanuki statue with the biggest of smiles. One rumor says that the tanuki was the first thing here, and the owner loved it so much he built the club around it, though this was as likely as the dozen other origin stories for the club. Besides, the statue looked fairly new, well polished and inviting with a grin that said, “Come in. I won’t tell if you’re a bit naughty tonight.”

Outside of the club, however, was not as bright and cheerful. The lights of the nightclub only further emphasized the ominous and ill-fated darkness between it and most of residents houses. In the darkness, a figure in a tattered cloak stood close by... barely illuminated by the light. When the bouncer turned to see the figure, it was gone.

When the large guard turned back, the figure stood by the door. The man's clothing looked to be that of a homeless urchin and he carried with him a wooden stick that had been carved to resemble a longsword. This figure glance up at the bouncer with a terrifying grin. "I little rusty, I see."

The larger man jumped back a little, his heart skipping a beat. After taking a moment to compose himself, he pointed behind him. "Line is over there. You need to wait in it before I can tell you there is no way in HELL you're getting in.”

"And what makes you so sure you can stop me?" The scrawny figured said, his grin widening. "Considering that you don't have the strength to even try."

"I'll show you strength," the bouncer mumbled, taking a swing at him.

The figure lazily sidestepped the attack... as if not even trying. He quickly slashed at the man in return, his otherwise dull wooden blade cleaving through his arm like it was butter.

The man cried out in pain, desperately holding the gash in a weak attempt to stem the blood loss. Everyone waiting to get in screamed in a panic and ran off as the bouncer leaned against the wall and cried out, "We have trouble out here! Weapons, now!"

The figure chuckled, placing his blade on the man's chin. "It's not like your boss is going to care much if a few of you don't make it out of here alive." He swiftly slit the man's throat without a hint of hesitation... and the grin still plastered on his face.

Half a dozen man ran up, three from the left side of the building, three from the right. The used the side exits so as not to alert the club goers with the variety of weapons they carried with them.

A seventh man, the 'club owner', was the only one to step out of the main entrance. He looked the cloaked figure over with a none-too-happy glare as he stroked his goatee. "Who are you?" he asked with a thick Stormrend accent. "Why did you commit such acts of violence on my property?"

"My name is Malder." The figure answered. "As for why... I think the better question is why not?"

"This is not some game!" the manager snapped. This prompted the others to level their weapons towards Malder, including a pistol and a rifle, both high end, both made locally, both looking extremely expensive. "You have killed a member of my staff! Scared away my customers! Do you have any idea who you are messing with? Who owns this club?!"

"Considering the man that owns this place wanted to talk to me... I figured I'd make a good first impression." Malder shrugged slightly. "Kinda hard to say you can create absolute chaos without proof of your work."

After a moment of silence, the manager nodded to one of his man, who retreated back around the corner. The others kept their weapons at the ready, however. "And exactly... why were you supposedly invited here, Mr. Malder? Surely not to... 'create absolute chaos'."

The street rat let out another chuckle. "I was told someone was of need of my services... and my knowledge. But, if that's not the case, then I guess I can see how long it takes before one of you can touch me."

"You took out one man with a few muscles and a weight problem," the man with the rifle said defiantly. "You think that makes you faster than a bullet?"

"No..." Malder said, before dashing faster than the man could see. The street rat slashed through the barrel off of the man's gun and positions the wooden stick to his neck. "But I'm sure as hell faster than all of you."

There was the gruff groan of someone large and imposing behind him. A quick glance back revealed the real owner of the business stepping outside, a large cigar in his hand. "Son... do you have even the slightest idea how expensive that weapon was?"

"Probably more gold than necessary... but that's just me." Malder answered, turning to the man with a grin. "You the one who wanted to talk to me?"

"That would be me." Shen looked at the others. "Inside, boys. Get this mess cleaned up. This was a stunt people took too serious. I want a full line out here within ten minutes. You." He pointed a massive finger at Malder. "Follow me."

Malder's grin widened as he followed the large man. "Too bad for all of you... I make quite the mess." The urchin stated, taking note of the blood splatter of blood from the bouncer.

Shen led the man up to the upper floor balcony and into a massive office, easily accommodating the owner. It was brightly decorated with shades of red and was well furnished. There were a variety of expensive items and art pieces, and a small stripper pole in one of the corners.

"What do you drink?" Shen asked. "You hungry, son?"

"I'm personally not one for alcohol." The former soldier answered. "As for food? Some bread would be nice."

Shen reached into a cold box, the frost crystal within looking incredibly rare and expensive. Pulling himself out some scotch, he then went to a food box and grabbed a small loaf of bread, handing it to Malder. "You know, you don't need to come in here killing my people to let me know it is you. Word is, that pretty face of yours is proof enough." He sat behind his desk and motion to the chair in front of it.

Malder took the bread and plopped into the chair. "Like I said to the others... I wanted to make a good first impression. It's hard to claim you're good at what you do if you can't prove it."

"Well, that's why you're here. Because you're good at what you do." Shen poured is drink in a glass that looked comically small in his hand. "You're good... and you were robbed of your potential. Do you know what your problem is, son? Do you have any idea how this country has robbed you?"

"It has robbed me of many things... but that's not of my concern as of right now." The street rat mentioned. "I want revenge first... so you better either know where I can find an assassin by the name of Arlia or be willing to help me find her before you even ask me to do a job."

"Arlia, huh?" Shen leaned forward and held her hands together. "No that's interesting. If I recall, that is the name of the beloved missing princess."

"Wouldn't surprise me if she was." Malder shrugged. "She came to the outpost with expensive equipment and her own set of armor... probably falsified her documents too."

"Well... without knowing exactly which Arlia it is... hmm..." Shen rubbed his chin. "I might have a means of confirming whether or not we are interested in the same person. I just have to check to see if a certain missing individual was found." He stood up and walked toward a door opposite the one they had come in. "Can I trust you not to kill anyone or break anything if I step out to make a quick call?"

"Only if I'm not provoked in any manner." The street rat remarked.

Shen stepped out, and for a while, Malder was left on his own. As he snacked on his humble meal, he could hear the muffled sounds of the music in the club. The door opened, but not the one he expected. It was the one to the club proper, and one of Shen's mooks stepped in, holding the arm of a woman. "You havin' a meeting wit Mr. Wu?" he asked, not sounding like the brightest man in the world.

"Yes... I am." Malder stated, taking a closer look at the woman in his arm.

From the angle, he couldn't see her face, only her slender body and long, blonde hair. The thug pushed her forward, making her fall on her hands and knees in the middle of the room. "Well, here's 'is song bird. Can't wait to hear how he reacts to gettin' her back. Watch her, yeah?" The man didn't wait for a response, stepping out and leaving the two alone. The woman didn't move, simply hanging her head in defeat.

The flowing blonde hair and thin, flat body were all too familiar to Malder. He walked up to her, crouching in front of her so that he would better be able to see her face. He had to see if it really was her... or just someone of similar build.

She slowly looked up at him, and he was instantly hit with a string of memories. Her eyes were different, still blue but not as hard or strong willed. But everything else, it first sight at least, said 'Arlia' to him. "H... Hello?"

Malder grabbed the woman by the throat, standing in order to lift her off the ground. As he pointed his sword at her, he said. "Oh... how I've waited for this day. Too bad they broke you before I had a chance to, but at least I get to be the one to drive my blade into your heart."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ExoGrim & ZombieSplitter53
Job Offers and Spreading Chaos
Part Two

"I-I... I don't..." Her eyes widened as she struggled to breath, tears forming in her eyes. "Who... a-are... you?"

"Already forgotten me have you?" Malder chuckled as he moved his blade closer to her heart. "Then allow me to refresh your memory."

Her eyes widened even more. "P-please... don't!"

"Put her down!" Shen shouted, stepping inside.

Malder tilted his head to look at Shen. "I told you, revenge comes first for me."

"Revenge ag... that isn't Arlia Stormrend." Shen held out an arm. "Just put her down... and we'll talk."

Not Arlia? The street rat looked back at the woman. The fact that she had not known him had started to make a little sense. Malder dropped the woman, his grin faltering heavily. "You better start explaining yourself."

"Show him," Shen told the woman.

"B-but... b-b-but you said i-if I ever dropped..." She looked up at Malder. The look in her eyes seemed to terrify her even more than Malder's death threat, and she quickly nodded. Moving to a kneeling position, she closed her eyes and brought her hands together, as though she was praying. Chanting softly, a soft glow surrounded her body. As they watched, her hair quickly started to darken until it was black. She lost a couple inches, and her facial features softened a bit. When she opened her eyes, they were a darker blue. She still looked similar to Arlia, like they could be related, but it wasn't her.

Malder grunted. "So... we are after the same person. Which means you have a idea where Arlia is, since you do have someone to replace her."

Shen let out a sigh of relief, his prized possession nearly cut down. "Yes. I have my men out looking for her now. It is their job to make sure if she is dead or not. I assume you can figure out why that is important for me to know."

"Do you know where the trail ended?" Malder asked, his grinning reforming.

Shen let out a sigh. "Serasam. But it is a big country, too big for you to search alone. I have a lot more resources than you do, so if you trust me a bit, we'll either find her or find her corpse."

"Then how about you listen to the guy who knows her better than anyone." Malder casually sat back down in the chair. "If anything, Arlia would want to find a place where she can use her talents to help people... like a Hunter's Guild or something similar."

Shen returned to his own chair and sat down. "Why do you think we brought you in here. We know you about your time fighting both with and against the royal army. Your fighting skills are appreciated, but the knowledge you have in that brain of yours is just as valuable."

"Being an ex soldier does have it's perks." Malder stated. "But, Arlia comes first. If she is going to a Hunter's Guild... it would like be one towards the center. She know that Stromrend mercenaries are less likely to stray to far from the border. She's also very heavy on equality, so she would likely pick a guild that accepts all applicants."

"Unfortunately for us, that applies to more than it would in other countries. But I can have a list drawn up to narrow out search." Shen leaned forward. "You seem to know her well, though not enough to know she was the princess. Exactly what is your history? I'm guessing less than pleasant, considering your urgency in wanting to kill her."

"Considering she mutilated me to an almost unrecognizable state and left me to bleed out... all because I decided to allow a raid team to destroy the outpost we were stationed on, you can say I want to kill her that badly."

"I can understand that." When shook his head. "I'm not one to judge you actions, motivations, or affiliations. I just need to know that I can trust you to work with me."

"That you can... as long as she dies." Malder's grin widened. "What's first on the list then?"

Shen smiled and reached into his desk. "Tell me... are you capable of being more subtle with your killing? A bit quieter?"

"I'm not the best at that kind of work, but I am good at not getting noticed when I dash through a crowd... so I guess it could work out." The street rat answered.

"Good." Shen slid him a list of names. "These people seem to have a problem with my contributions to this country's improvement. Pick half, and get rid of them quietly. Make the others disappear in a more overt manner. A little confusion as they seem like the acts of two killers at the same time will make a ruckus. Think you can handle it?"

"Kill people and cause complete and utter panic?" Malder began to laugh demonic. "That's my kind of job. Consider it done."

"Good, good. You'll be compensated however you want, of course. Money, women... more bread." Shen's eyes shifted behind Malder. "Between targets, I'll have a... more difficult job for you. Something that isn't exactly up your ally, but others seem to be lacking the kind of mindset you do, and I feel it is what is needed."

Malder leaned forward. "And what job is that exactly."

"Simple... I need you to watch her, and make sure she doesn't wander somewhere she shouldn't."

"That I should be able to pull off." The street rat responded. "I am fast on my feet after all."

"It goes beyond simply being quick," Shen warned. "'Arlia' here possess a unique kind of magic that allows her to implant thoughts into another's mind and influence them. Far as we can tell so far, it is almost completely subconscious, but it is effective all the same. When you first saw her, you didn't realize it, but there was a little voice in the back of your head that was saying 'I am Arlia'." The monster lit a cigar. "Unfortunately, she occasionally uses that power, without even realizing it, to get her guards to let her wander off. We have found, however, her powers only work on the weak willed, and you sir are anything but weak willed. You should be partially if not completely immune."

"I'm sure that I can handle it." Malder's grin lowered slightly. "But, let's make one thing clear. The moment you find the real Arlia, you let me know immediately. No one is allowed to kill her but me."

Shen looked him up and down. "Very well. That seems fair enough." Tapping some ashes away, he asked, "Tell me, Mr. Malder... considering how long she has been away, what do you think the chances are that she is even still alive?"

"Trust me, she's alive." Malder answered. "There's no way she wouldn't be."

"Is that so? Well, I'll trust your instincts." Shen stood up and walked over to Malder's new charge, who had reapplied her disguise. "Arlia dear, this is Malder. He will be keeping you safe from now on."

"K-keep me safe? B-but he..." She rubbed her neck.

"He only did that because he mistook you for the bad woman you look like," Shen assured her. "Remember all the bad things the royal house does? Well, the princess herself hurt him really bad. Isn't that right, Mr. Malder?"

"That's right..." Malder walked up to the woman and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Our little princess Arlia left me for dead. I'm sure you can understand my outburst there."

The fake slowly nodded. "I'm sorry. I... I-I promise I won't do that."

"Where did you wonder off to this time?" Shen asked the woman.

She stared down at the floor. "I-I... I was looking for mother. I... I wanted to see her, b-but I couldn't find her, and the men didn't know..."

Shen sighed. "Try and remember that we have your mother. And you just saw her yesterday."

"I did? I don't... remember..."

"You don't remember that big bushel of flowers you brought her? Try and remember, my dear."

'Arlia' closed her eyes, and smiled after a few seconds. "I remember. They had all her favorite flowers. Like roses... and tulips... and... oh, but... how did I afford them?"

"I bought them for you, of course." Shen stepped over and rubbed her back. "Please, don't keep wondering off. I promised your mother I would keep you safe. Now... why don't you go take a nap." She slowly nodded, and walked to the side room. Once the door closed, Shen grinned at Malder. "How does it feel to know you'll be taking out Arlia while helping to use her image to take her family down?"

Malder grinned once more. "It feels like heaven. Thought, I must ask... what do you get out of the fall of the Emperor and the royal family?"

Shen slowly placed his cigar between his teeth. "The satisfaction of knowing those parasites have been cast aside. Of course, someone will have to take charge in their stead. It will be a difficult job, but I'm willing to do it for my beloved country."

Malder let out a chuckle. "I personally would just let the chaos spread... leave the place in anarchy. But that works too."

Dahlexpert

Dhalexpert & Zombiesplitter53

Family reuniting

The Havebrook manner
April 1 3049
Library, 1:49 PM

Charter lays with Esmeralda in her bed in the library, he kisses her forehead after they a evening together. "You know, I really should thank your sister for teaching you that thing you do I'm goanna have to return the favor some time."

Esmeralda blinked a couple times. "Wait... return the favor to me? Or to her? Because if you're getting funny ideas about my sister..."

Charter brushed her hair and kissed her. "I'm talking about you, I'm not sure how I’m goanna return the favor. Maybe I can do the same thing to you, would you like that?"

Esmeralda blushed. "U-uh... m-maybe. We can give it a try sometime." She cleared her throat and sat up. Though... I should probably reopen the library, huh? People might get upset if I don't."

"Oh come on, how many people come into the library huh?"

The door to the library opens, and a woman walks to the counter. "Um h.. Hello is there anyone here, is the librarian around?"

Esmeralda jumped in surprise. "Oh no! I'm becoming a slacker!" She quickly threw on her clothing, adjusting it as she let her wind magic carry her to the front. She landed behind the counter with a WOOSH! that fluttered some books about. "Yes!?" she shouted before taking a second to relax and catch her breath. "Ahem... I mean, how can I help you?"

The mysterious woman looked at Esmeralda confused. The woman was young in appearance She wore a purple enchanted robe and wore a mage like hate. She also carried a staff with her. " Um hi do you have any spell books, I'm kinda new here?" The woman looked around the library. "This is a very impressive library, I mean it's nothing compared to the one back home and in the collage but it's impressive."

"A newcomer?!" Esmeralda leaped over the counter and gasped the woman's hands. "Welcome! It is so nice to meet you! Please, allow me to take you on a tour of our delightful section on spell books, magic tombs, and grimoires. I'm sure you'll love it!"

"I'm sure that I will, I might have some to add to your collection. The college gave me so many books to memorize, I'm sure I can spare you some. Ou but we're are my manners I'm Elma, who are you?"

"I am Esmeralda Starma! It is such a pleasure to meet you!" Es grasped her hand tightly and pulled her along. "Come on. We'll see if we have any tombs you've never seen. I'm sure we do. Where are you from, Elma?"

"I'm from Miridia, wait. Esmeralda that name sounds familiar hum." While fallowing Esmeralda Elma sees a giant dire wolf with white fur.

"Mirandia, huh? My boyfriend is from there. I hope to visit it some time when I have... uh, time. That was redundant..." Esmeralda followed Elma's gaze. "Slone! I told you not to come in here! I have no treats for you hidden amongst the books, you silly wolfy."

Slone yawned, and saw Elma and changed right at her and licked her.

"Ha Slone Slone stop, I missed you to boy wait if you're here then."

Character came from one behind one of the bookshelves, and saw his sister." E..Elma?"

"Charter?" Esmeralda looked between him and Elma. "You know her. And... Slone knows her. Um..." Es gasped. "Elma, you... you must be his... ex-girlfriend!"

Character burryed his face into his palm. "She's not my Ex, your my first and only girl friend. She's my."

"BROTHER!" Elma shouted and practically talked Character." I missed you so much brother."

Character rubbed his sister head and hugged her." Why are you here." Elma gave character a price of paper with his family emblem, character read the paper and was mildly annoyed by it." Gods damn it."

"What's it say, what's it say?" Esmeralda pouted. "You're not here to take Charter away, are you?"

"What no no, I'm her to."

"She's here to join the guild, willingly and I'm to be her caretaker and I'm apart of the legions ranger."

"Oh, does that mean you're back in to your club? Goodie!" Es clapped her hands together. "Oh, isn't this wonderful! A brother and sister fighting team, just like in a story book! How enchanting..."

"Club!" Elma a geeky shouted." Watch it lady, I may have heard good things about you, but our family army is not a club it's ours personal army. And the rangers only our most noble of fighters can join."

"Elma enough, don't mention our family nobility to much."

Esmeralda scratched her chin. "Geez, I was only foolin'. I know all about how noble your family and your traditions are. Charter is the most noble person I know. So much, he could be a noble, not just work for them."

Elma looked confused at the statement, and looked back at Character." You never told her did you, she don't know does she."

Character shook her head." I don't mention our family's wealth."

Elma eyes widen." Ou um well then Esmeralda, how do I put this? Character and I are nobles."

"I... y-yes, you are... very noble... I..." Esmeralda looked between the pair in confusion. "I don't... like... noble nobles? With the money and the status and the... noble nobility?"

"Yea Es I'm a noble noble, with the money and the status and all the other stuff."

"I... so you, um... I..." Esmeralda cleared her throat and took a step back. "You know, I... forgot... I promised... I gotta... go." She floated up, and shot away with her wind magic, rushing out of the library as fast as she could.

Character looked at Elma very angrily." Your barely here an hour, and you may have destroyed my relationship thanks sis."

"Alright I messed up, but brother she was gonna find out if you brought her home. Look I will go and talk to her alright."

"We will both go and find her, come on let's go."

It took a half an hour of searching and questioning. Esmeralda left the library so infrequently, few could even think of some place she might go to. Finally, she was found at the place that contained her other passion. She sat alone in the greenhouse at the back of the state, huddled in a corner, staring at a variety of different flowers.

Character looked at Esmeralda and sat next to her while Elma stood in front of her." Es look I know your upset, but I'm sorry for keeping this from you."

"It... it's not that. Not entirely. It upsets me... but I understand why you did it." Esmeralda started forward. "What do you see in here?"

"A bunch of different flowers, from different areas."

The young bibliophile sighed. "This, Charter... amounts to my legacy. Books and flowers. See, back home, my family are botanist that use their green thumbs to raise, care for, and sell flowers. They're good at it, and they're pretty popular, but... that's it. I didn't want to stay home and live my life as little more then a glorified flower girl. Granted, I'm not doing anything spectacular here, but I enjoy it. If I fail here, I end up going home to my family flower shop. If you fail here... I thought you'd be going home to become a soldier, which was already better then me. But no I find out you'd end up being a royal soldier of nobility, and it's... intimidating to try and compare myself to that. It makes me feel... small."

Charter put his arm around Esmeralda. "Look hun yes i'm rich insanely rich actually, yes my parents have the army but truth be told my hole family is rich. My dad has a seat in the Miridan councle, my mom has a very successful alchemy story. One of my uncles is a very successful farmer, and my other uncle is the leader of the rangers. So yes I can understand how that can be intimidating."

Dahlexpert

Part 2

Esmeralda puffed out her cheeks the cute way she usually did when annoyed. "You're not helping."

Charter held her arms. "Look I do care for you, and my family do want to meet you right Elma."

"Ou yes they do, and I have to say to look amazing far more beautiful then most nobles. So if you were to marry Charter then you and your family would join ours or have his baby, I mean he did mention you two did partake on Lovers day so."

"She's not pregnant!"

Esmeralda's face turned beet red. "Charter! Y-you... is it normal in Mirandia to... share you intimate relationships w-with your family?"

"No Though you seem to forget i'm not used to this, so I don't know how this works."

"Yea my brother doesn't realy know who to talk about his girlfriend, don't worry he only said you two partook in lovers day. He didn't go into details about your day then, besides. He clearly loves you the way he talked about you."

Esmeralda slowly nodded. "Still, I... I'm not royalty. I'm not nobility. I didn't even finish college. Wouldn't your family prefer if you found someone with more... substance?"

"Es my mother was a merchant before she met my dad, my grandfather marred a farm woman. I care for you more then what you think, my parents don't mind. And if they do there going to have to deal with it."

"Wow never thought you say that Charter, but he's right our parents won't mind." Elma lightly kicked her brother. "Charter come on you could say I love you to her."

"I can't, I don't know if I can."

Elma rolled her eyes and looked at Esmeralda." Hay Es, how do you feel about my brother?"

Esmeralda jumped a bit. "H-how do I feel? W-well, uh..." She poked her index fingers together. "Well, I... I really, really like him. He... he makes me happy when he's around, and... and I miss him when he's gone. I think he's handsome and brave and noble and... I want to be with him."

Charter started to rub Esmeralda back. "And the woman with me is beautiful woman, yes she is very talkative and a air head sometimes. But she is kind ad sweet and I care for her, and when i'm gone I do miss her when i'm out there I just want her by my side."

"So you two love each other then?"

Esmeralda looked away. "Well, um... C-Charter thinks it is too soon to be talking about 'love', so... um..."

"Ignore my brother, he has know idea how to feel about relationships. Do you love my brother Es."

"Enough!" Charter stood up. "Look I do care for Esmeralda but saying I love her is to soon."

"Es what do you think?"

Esmeralda closed her eyes and softly smiled. "Yes... yes, I do fell like I love him. Very much so."

Charter looked at Esmerelda in shock and held her close to him. "I.. Thank you Es for that, I appreciate that. And I do fell those feelings towards you to."

Es smiled at him. "Feel... what feelings for me?"

"Please don't make me say it."

"Come on Character you can do it, it's simple."

Character muttered under his breath." I... I love you."

"Wha?" Esmeralda moved her head closer. "I didn't hear you."

"Yeah even I couldn't hear you, come on you can do better then that brother."

Women." Fine, I love you, someone of noble blood loves you there."

Esmeralda's eyes started to water. Suddenly, she was wailing, sobbing loudly into her palms.

Character looked at Esmeralda confused." What's wrong Es?"

She sniffled as she as she peeked between her fingers. "I-I'm just... so... happy! I was worried... 'cause that one time... w-when I said I-I loved you, a-and you said i-it was too soon... I just... so... happy..."

Character kissed Esmeralda head to calm her down." Look I said I didn't know how I felt into words, now I do I.. I love you Esmeralda."

Es sniffled and snuggled against him like a child. "I love you too, Charter." She wiped her eyes and smiled at Charter's sister. "Thank you."

"No problem, now you just need to shack up and have kids."

Character eyes widen." I knew it, I knew there was a reason mom and dad sent you here!"

"Well duh, dad sent me to learn about the world. And mom sent me, to not only see your girlfriend. But to make sure you get married and have babies."

Esmeralda's eyes shifted about. "I-I... I-I don't know if I'm ready for that. There are just so many books I... I wouldn't have time to read. A-and I've never read a book on parenting..."

"Ou come now I'm sure you'll be a great mother."

Esmeralda blushed. "Well... w-what about you? Maybe we should f-find you a guy s-so... so you can make babies."

"Ou she will one day, I'll see to that. But for today. Character picked up Esmeralda. "I just admitted to loving you, so let's celebrate. By attacking my sister."

Es gave Elma an evil look. "My little sister always said I was the most evil tickle master of all time."

Elma started to chuckle nervously." Hay now come on that's not nessary."

"Heh heh heh... I don't know, Elma. In a way... you can kinda say you've bee teasing your brother and I this whole time. A little payback might be due."

"Hay come on now don't I get any last words?"

"Fine say you're peace."

"Great." Elma used her ice magic to make a weak-punch able wall." By by suckers." Elma shouted as she left the guarden.

Esmeralda jumped up. "Come on, Charter! She's getting away!"

Character put his hands on the wall, and it instantly started to crack." Nice try kiddo but it's a good destination at least." Character punched through the ice and saw that Elma was gone." Come one she couldn't have gotten far."

Es let out an excited laugh, and ran after Elma with Charter at her side.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert, Frostlich1228, & ZombieSplitter
Corruption Breeding Corrupted
Client: City of Arkaley
Target: Golems & Corrupted Ley Line

Info:
Near the city of Arkaley, a local ley line has been corrupted by a heavy amount of Celestial energy. The city is not in danger as of yet, but a ley line flowing through the city intersects the corrupted one, and they need to start the purification process to assure the corruption does not spread.

The most effective place to do this is at the magical pool where the lines intersect. Time is a factor, not only because they need to prevent the spread, but because the longer a ley line is corrupted, the harder it is to purify it. Unfortunately, the natural rocks, soil, and even the trees at the pool are also being corrupted and spawning violent Golems that make it impossible for everyday citizens to get close.

That is where we come in. Accompanied by city guards, you will go to the magical pool and either fight off or destroy any Golem that tries to interrupt the initial purification process. A bonus has been offered for succeeding in the mission with no loss of life among the witches doing the purification, so try and keep an eye on them.

The party of Havenbrook Hunters made their way southeast, heading for the sight of their next mission. Bringing up the rear was Eraqus, relieved to be on a mission where the goal was to protect something instead of kill something, even if killing something would be involved. Teg walked by his side, the large dog wearing some protective armor. Just ahead of Eraqus was Charter and Slone, both in their shiny new armor, both ready and willing to take on a better challenge than some common bandits.

Sylvie was in the center of the group, a personal request of Eraqus. Her nature-based magic would come in handy as they fought corrupted nature itself. On her first mission with this sort, Kva accompanied the team to provide support from a higher rank Hunter. It was better to have her extra skill and not need it then need it and not have it, especially with people to protect.

Finally, leading the ‘charge’, was Alfonda Charmles. He was the head of the Havenbrook Guild’s secondary lab, making him just under Erin in terms of leading magical and scientific studies at the Manor. He was a snooty looking man, his skin the light brown of an Elf, his black hair cut straight for efficiency sake, and his always serious face looking like it had never cracked a smile, or at least not a snide one.

His connection the magic allowed him to lead the group along the ley line to their destination, just along their left. None could see it until they approached their destination, and passed by the corrupted part. The grass along the invisible line of magic was dead and pitch black. Lining that, though, was curved grass of a brilliant, luminescent white. Normal animal chatter and movement ceased in this area, but those affected by the corruption could be seen here and there. A squirrel ran by, normal looking save for its dark green fur. In the forest running just north of the ley line, among the twisted trees, Charter could swear he saw what looked like a fox the size of a horse. Sylvie felt something brush against her. Glancing down, she found a black spider was sitting on her leg, the size of a rat with a rat’s tail and head staring back up at her curiously.

Sylvie knelt down and gently picked the hybrid creature up, looking at it closely. “This isn’t right…”

Eraqus tilted his head to see what she was talking about, and sighed. “If this was just regular light energy, it would be one thing. But Celestial energy is especially potent in nature, twisting all who get too near. You should be grateful it isn’t spewing acid or shooting poisonous quills or something.”

Charter was riding on Slone up ahead, him having a bag on Slone side. The bag being filled with potions and enchantments to make his weapons more powerful. “Don’t worry, I’m sure if she does get poisoned, hopefully I can cure it. Ugh, I should have brought Elma someone with light magic could be useful. This whole place feels wrong.”

They soon came to the end of the corrupted part of the ley line, but reached the mana pool where the Arkaley mages were setting up soon after, its short distance from the corruption a bad sign. “I will go ahead to make sure these plebeians know what their doing,” Charmles muttered and rode ahead.

One of the mages, a short, portly man with a long, pointy hat walked over to meet the party. “Welcome, welcome! You arrived just in time. We were about to start soon.” He waved his hands over to the various machines, all in magical circles drawn into the ground, all positioned around the magic pool, though the witches were all clustered together. “Quite the sight, eh? These devices are the latest in corruption clearing design, on loan from the government itself. Once they are set up, they will extract the excess Celestial magic leaking into the ley line and safely disperse it. And because they’re just machines, the local… ahem, wildlife should ignore them, and we’ll just need to maintain them. However, while we’re setting up, our magic spells are predicted to drawn some attention. That’s where you and the guards come in.”

“Attention? You mean the golems right? Or should we be expecting anything else?” The Neren’tevan huntress asked.

“Something else? Oh, I sure hope not…” The mage looked around nervously. “Our guards went around, clearing the place out of the unsettling creatures created by the corruption… except for the golems. With nothing to disturb them, I guess you could say they’re asleep. And we can’t attack them in that state because we don’t know where they are.” He bent down and picked up a large rock. “Is this part of one’s neck? Part of their arm? Or… just a rock. Until they form, the only way to attack them would be to destroy every rock, stone, mineral, and tree in the area. And while that is tempting to do just to be safe, we don’t have that sort of time, you see? We must start the magic today, before the corruption spreads any more.”

“Do we know about the witches that are causing this?” Charter asked. “What magic they have, how many guards are protecting them? Or can your men not reach them?”

The elected spokesmen sighed. “From what we can tell, this seems to be a natural occurrence. In a way, you can say that is good because it means that no one is attacking us, but bad because… it is like nature itself is attacking us.” He shrugged. “As sad is it might sound, these things just happen sometimes. Natural magical elements pool in a ley line, and sometimes one element gets so strong that it draws in more and more magic until, boom, corruption. We still have no way to predict it or prevent it, or fix it. Scary, huh? Whole cities have been destroyed overnight because their ley line was corrupted and it spread before they could stop it. We’re here today to stop that from happening to our city.”

“Well then, best we get this over with, before this corruption reaches the nearby city.”

“Couldn’t agree more, sir.” The portly man turned to tell the others, but glanced back first. “Anything else you wanted to know before… you know, we’re neck deep in angry nature?”

“Yes actually.” Kva stepped up, her blood red rapier shining on her waist. “How long will this take?”

“The, uh… the current procedure, or the whole thing?” Rather than wasting the intimidating woman’s time, he answered both. “The initial spellcasting should be over in less then half an hour. A lot has come along in the field of this process. But actually finishing the process? Projections put it at two to five years. A lengthy process. An expensive one too. But one we have to do.”

Eraqus rolled his neck and unsheathed his sword, looking over to the guards. “Well… go start things up. Don’t stop for anything. We’re trusting you to cast your magic. You trust us to keep you safe.” He motioned for the others to follow him.

Everyone got into position around the mana pool. Each of the Hunters were accompanied by a pair of local city guards, making a force of eighteen. Magic swirled about as the city’s mages cast their spells. Brilliant streams of white and gold flowed between them, the machines, and the mana pool. It was quite the sight to behold, one that might have drawn a crowd if not for the danger that immediately presented itself. The very earth started to shift and creak as the beings brought forth by the corruption were alerted to tampering with the ley line. Slumbering Golems started to form, roaring to life a descending on the group from all directions. There were dozens of smaller ones, as well as four much larger ones, each of some different composition.

“Sylvie, Charter, Kva..” Eraqus looked at them all in turn. “Each of you pick a big guy. I will work on defending the mages against the small fry. Don’t let any of the larger ones through.” He smiled at the B-rank Hunter. “You ready to do this?”

She cracked her neck as she stepped forward. “Seems like a waste of my talents… but very well.”

Last edited: