X-COM RP THINK TANK (part2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGemini24601

We just discussed how to set up soldiers/characters, made ZombieSplitter the GM, and Sarge will create maps if we need those.

Adrammalech

I kinda had to rush through all the posts because I need to get to something tonight, but if we're still debating format, I'd prefer the single character over everyone controlling a squad, that's just what I'm better at.

I would like to pitch an idea separate from that:
Two "teams" of 4-6 RPers playing both XCOM and EXALT. You could have them doing standard alien killing and camaraderie, then dropping into the same hot zone every other or every 3 missions and interacting. Presuming the RPers are diverse, you could have the hardliners who are like THEY'RE TRAITOROUS DOGS and then the people who try to seduce each other to the other side. Zombie could play the commander and Prisma could lead EXALT. There could be some interesting interactions that wouldn't be possible in game (like racing to Zhang or the Furies, or infiltrating each others bases), the only tough part would be rules on side switching and killing. I dunno, just an idea. If anyone else thinks it could be feasible and a good idea I could brainstorm on it later tonight or tomorrow.

DarkGemini24601

We had said that it'd be 1-2 (3 if you're ballsy) characters, gave up on the full squads thing. As for the separate idea, I think some people wanted to join EXALT and we're certainly doing that, though I do think that there will be be less EXALT overall, the focus remaining on XCOM.

DarkGemini24601

For the most part I think we've laid down the basic rules for characters, and in terms of story our GM and us will be handling that when we eventually start. As for missions/tech/etc we shouldn't have too much to worry about, but most of that will be done another day since its getting late. We have made significant progress though.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
We had said that it'd be 1-2 (3 if you're ballsy) characters, gave up on the full squads thing. As for the separate idea, I think some people wanted to join EXALT and we're certainly doing that, though I do think that there will be be less EXALT overall, the focus remaining on XCOM.
I like Prisma's idea of having one or two characters be moles for EXALT while he is the EXALT leader

Frostlich1228

For the most part I think we've laid down the basic rules for characters, and in terms of story our GM and us will be handling that when we eventually start. As for missions/tech/etc we shouldn't have too much to worry about, but most of that will be done another day since its getting late. We have made significant progress though.
I like how everything is coming together so Far :)

DarkGemini24601

Same, though I do wonder if we'll be finished planning before or after Sarge puts the new site up. If it's before then that might be a bit awkward, if it's around when we're ready that'd be perfect, if it's after then we're probably going to have to wait unless its going to be quite awhile

DarkGemini24601

There is one more thing about characters that I'd like to ask once Zombie returns, supernatural powers and the such. I won't go into detail yet though. For now I'm going to look through Chris's rules for the various seasons to see if there's anything we can borrow from there and the last bits of my homework.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Back for a minute. Looks like we'll be going with larger squads of NPCs (disposable mooks, basically) on missions, so no need to worry about squad size.

Each person gets either one or two characters, depending on what they can handle.

I'll introduce new tech and aliens as we go along, so don't worry too much about that.

We'll stick with the aliens from EW for now, maybe put in some others in the future, playing it by ear.

There will be a central base where everyone can interact as well as local sights individuals can be moved in and out of as needed.

I see no reason we need to limit the classes we use, as long as you understand all of the abilities, strengths, and weaknesses of your class, whether it be a EW or Long War class.

And finally, Prisma will write on behalf of EXALT (in addition to an X-COM soldiers if he wants), while Marine and possibly one other person will have a spy in X-COM. (And remember the golden rule of role playing: just because you know something doesn't mean you character does, so no magically knowing who the spies are.)

And in making your character, they can be as experienced or inexperienced as you so wish, as long as you remember to play the part. Don't make a rookie who consistently pulls off trick shots from day one, and don't make a veteran that routinely forgets to take off the safety. Remember, this is all for good, clean fun, and if you are stressing over anything, you're probably thinking about it too hard. Leave the stress to me.

Sound good? Did I miss anything so far?

And as far as features and abilities that fall into the areas of sci-fi, fantasy, and the supernatural, I'm not quite as strict as Odd, but within reason. I'd prefer to take it case by case. If you have an idea, either tell me here or in a private conversation, and I'll either agree with it, agree with certain limitations, or discuss why I don't think it would work. Examples of what I may or may not agree with? Something simple like an interesting advancement that seems technologically feasible, or some kind of empathic ability that makes your character interesting without stepping on the toes of the others? Probably. Something huge, like what I did in season two (in retrospect, I am surprised I got away with that)? Probably not. But like I said, we'll take it case by case.

DarkGemini24601

Back for a minute. Looks like we'll be going with larger squads of NPCs (disposable mooks, basically) on missions, so no need to worry about squad size.

Each person gets either one or two characters, depending on what they can handle.

I'll introduce new tech and aliens as we go along, so don't worry too much about that.

We'll stick with the aliens from EW for now, maybe put in some others in the future, playing it by ear.

There will be a central base where everyone can interact as well as local sights individuals can be moved in and out of as needed.

I see no reason we need to limit the classes we use, as long as you understand all of the abilities, strengths, and weaknesses of your class, whether it be a EW or Long War class.

And finally, Prisma will write on behalf of EXALT (in addition to an X-COM soldiers if he wants), while Marine and possibly one other person will have a spy in X-COM. (And remember the golden rule of role playing: just because you know something doesn't mean you character does, so no magically knowing who the spies are.)

And in making your character, they can be as experienced or inexperienced as you so wish, as long as you remember to play the part. Don't make a rookie who consistently pulls off trick shots from day one, and don't make a veteran that routinely forgets to take off the safety. Remember, this is all for good, clean fun, and if you are stressing over anything, you're probably thinking about it too hard. Leave the stress to me.

And as far as features and abilities that fall into the areas of sci-fi, fantasy, and the supernatural, I'm not quite as strict as Odd, but within reason. I'd prefer to take it case by case. If you have an idea, either tell me here or in a private conversation, and I'll either agree with it, agree with certain limitations, or discuss why I don't think it would work. Examples of what I may or may not agree with? Something simple like an interesting advancement that seems technologically feasible, or some kind of empathic ability that makes your character interesting without stepping on the toes of the others? Probably. Something huge, like what I did in season two (in retrospect, I am surprised I got away with that)? Probably not. But like I said, we'll take it case by case.
That sounds good, covers pretty much everything we needed to settle in regards to characters. I assume we'll probably go over any remaining rules and such in the next day or two. I will be at school until 4-5 Central Time of course so I'll only talk in the morning and after 4-5. When I have free time during the day I'll start work on my two characters.

(Btw, Zombie, I think you got away with it because Ayame never went on combat missions unless I'm mistaken in that season, or not much if she did. xD Her backstory was super interesting in that one, even if her powers would have been 'odd' if she had actually gotten to be one of the top soldiers.)

Frostlich1228

Now that you mention it... How did you get away with that? XD

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
what did she get away with exact;y
My character was a 500 year old Chinese Zombie/Vampire that had the ability to sense psychic energy, was twice as strong as your average human, needed to regularly absorb life force from others to sustain herself, and was so susceptible to alcohol, she nearly slept with another soldier after only a few shots of sake. Ahh, fun times, fun times.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
My character was a 500 year old Chinese Zombie/Vampire that had the ability to sense psychic energy, was twice as strong as your average human, needed to regularly absorb life force from others to sustain herself, and was so susceptible to alcohol, she nearly slept with another soldier after only a few shots of sake. Ahh, fun times, fun times.
wow that must have been one impressive resume

PrismaCube

Rules so far.

1: The story will start one week before the alien attack, from then on you explain your story of how your Character got to X-Com.
2: A limit of 2 players per person.
3: You decided when your character dies.
4: New Aliens will be included.

I think I forgot some, but for now this seems fine, one more think I will have two characters too, but both in Exalt. I was thinking of having my second character at one point having to put there difference aside with X-Com in order to survive a Horror mission, (such as the one with the ship and the crysalite) but of course our own idea.

Then I want everybody to vote where the X-COM HQ should be.
1. North America
2. South America
3. Australia
4. Europe
5. Asia
6. Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.