X-COM/XSDF RP THINK TANK (part3)

DarkGemini24601

First of all. French government. Because I've established that.

And they wanted Dorian to kill his brother because he was protesting their actions, they used the Anarchist excuse to get Dorian to kill his brother's group because telling him that they want him to kill a group of peaceful protesters let by his brother probably would've caused a few complications.
I still seriously have objections, realism and story objections, to you painting the French government as some monstrous, tyrannical entity. They're a western democracy, not a fascist state, get your facts right and stop bashing other people's countries. Why the HELL would France want to kill PEACEFUL protesters? WHY? Give me a solid reason and I'll forgive this, but otherwise you're doing something dark just because you feel like it, and to hell with any sense of realism. Trust me, I can let this one go, even if I'd like an answer, but don't expect to get away with anything like this in this next story. Aside from maybe North Korea, the world's a lot safer and fairer place.

I'm sure I'll like the medical part when I go back and reread without the salt, but my point about part 2 and Dorian's brother stands until you give me a good reason for all of that.

There we go, I can say without a doubt that this is the perfect ender to Desmond and Elizabeth's storyline. I hope you like all the content I (and both Zombie) worked so hard to put out. I tried to tie as many loose ends as possible but obviously, I can only try. Anyways, without further ado, The Lives That We Lead ladies, gentlemen and species of unspecified genders!
Shall read soon, look forward to it.

My character is going to be a shadow operative but he'll probably only use a handgun along with an alloy sword. The class fits his character but I could maybe change it.
Alright, just keep in mind that having an alloy sword as a major weapon runs the risk of getting totaled by close combat enemies. *looks over at the Steel Tortoise idly* :p

Sarge

Just fix stuff.
Staff member
now thats its over.... please pm the new people and get them involved.

Thanks,
-Sarge

DarkGemini24601

now thats its over.... please pm the new people and get them involved.

Thanks,
-Sarge
Already have. And its not quite over just yet, few more epilogues to post. (We won't be starting until I get back from my vacation that starts in about a week, probably around this time next month)

Frostlich1228

I still seriously have objections, realism and story objections, to you painting the French government as some monstrous, tyrannical entity. They're a western democracy, not a fascist state, get your facts right and stop bashing other people's countries. Why the HELL would France want to kill PEACEFUL protesters? WHY? Give me a solid reason and I'll forgive this, but otherwise you're doing something dark just because you feel like it, and to hell with any sense of realism. Trust me, I can let this one go, even if I'd like an answer, but don't expect to get away with anything like this in this next story. Aside from maybe North Korea, the world's a lot safer and fairer place.

I'm sure I'll like the medical part when I go back and reread without the salt, but my point about part 2 and Dorian's brother stands until you give me a good reason for all of that.

Shall read soon, look forward to it.

Alright, just keep in mind that having an alloy sword as a major weapon runs the risk of getting totaled by close combat enemies. *looks over at the Steel Tortoise idly* :p

I'm not saying everyone in the government did it! Just the people who Dorian was directly working for.

And he'd want to kill peaceful protesters because they are still protesters. They are bringing to light all the immoral things the those few people are doing, which would not only get the Civilians on their backs, but the higher ups in the french government too.

And you keep saying that like I'm not allowed to do 'Dark' things, I told Zombie that I'd stop because he feels concerned for me and he's very good friend, he didn't exactly order me to. I just simply like writing dark backstories, I like the idea of someone who experienced a traumatic event to overcome it and be able to save the world.

DarkGemini24601

I'm not saying everyone in the government did it! Just the people who Dorian was directly working for.

And he'd want to kill peaceful protesters because they are still protesters. They are bringing to light all the immoral things the those few people are doing, which would not only get the Civilians on their backs, but the higher ups in the french government too.

And you keep saying that like I'm not allowed to do 'Dark' things, I told Zombie that I'd stop because he feels concerned for me and he's very good friend, he didn't exactly order me to. I just simply like writing dark backstories, I like the idea of someone who experienced a traumatic event to overcome it and be able to save the world.
I'm not saying you're not allowed to write 'dark' things, Mr. Context. o_O I'm saying that what you do has to be realistic. Next season I'd like for people to avoid using bad governments as backstory because the world was specifically stated as a better place. I'm not going to send you to La Guillotine over this, but I feel that we need to balance realism and gritiness. You can have a dark event, but if it seems excessive, unreasonable for the perpertrators, or displays a government that isn't corrupt as corrupt, etc, it may get vetoed.

Moral of this story? Make sure you have backstories written (secret from the other players for story reasons but shown to the gm or otherwise) so that we know what you have in mind before approving or disapproving of it. ;)

Frostlich1228

I'm not saying you're not allowed to write 'dark' things, Mr. Context. o_O I'm saying that what you do has to be realistic. Next season I'd like for people to avoid using bad governments as backstory because the world was specifically stated as a better place. I'm not going to send you to La Guillotine over this, but I feel that we need to balance realism and gritiness. You can have a dark event, but if it seems excessive, unreasonable for the perpertrators, or displays a government that isn't corrupt as corrupt, etc, it may get vetoed.

Moral of this story? Make sure you have backstories written (secret from the other players for story reasons but shown to the gm or otherwise) so that we know what you have in mind before approving or disapproving of it.

Well, you seem to be the only person who really feels this way about it. (That I know of at least.)

Zombie was with me that whole time and didn't make me change anything, I took that to mean he was fine with it. I don't understand how this is excessive because stuff like this happens all the time around the world. Unreasonable? Well the people that ordered Dorian to do it were having awareness of their actions raised to the public and the higher ups in the government, that seems to me like a good reason why they'd want to eliminate them. And finally, this isn't displaying the entirety of the French government as being corrupt, just a few individuals, and there are a few corrupt individuals in just about any government.

DarkGemini24601

I don't understand how this is excessive because stuff like this happens all the time around the world. Unreasonable? Well the people that ordered Dorian to do it were having awareness of their actions raised to the public and the higher ups in the government, that seems to me like a good reason why they'd want to eliminate them. And finally, this isn't displaying the entirety of the French government as being corrupt, just a few individuals, and there are a few corrupt individuals in just about any government.
I don't feel this is too off the point. Agree with this to some extent.
Well, you seem to be the only person who really feels this way about it. (That I know of at least.)

Zombie was with me that whole time and didn't make me change anything, I took that to mean he was fine with it.
But this? Come on, Frost. Silence (On Zmby's part and the part of everyone else) doesn't mean they agree with you. You know how many people commented on that issue? Me and Ramma, and it was one approve and one disapprove. So don't act like you know how everyone feels based on circumstantial or scant evidence. That makes you look pretentious.

And don't try to silence me by singling me out and trying to make me feel like I'm ruining everyone's fun or not agreeing with the clique.

Frostlich1228

I don't feel this is too off the point. Agree with this to some extent.

But this? Come on, Frost. Silence (On Zmby's part and the part of everyone else) doesn't mean they agree with you. You know how many people commented on that issue? Me and Ramma, and it was one approve and one disapprove. So don't act like you know how everyone feels based on circumstantial or scant evidence. That makes you look pretentious.

And don't try to silence me by singling me out and trying to make me feel like I'm ruining everyone's fun or not agreeing with the clique.

That's why I put the... (That I know of at least)
I'm not sure what the others think yet.

Adrammalech

I will say that if the military dudes made him do it on purpose, it was needlessly cruel, and if they did it by accident, it was quite a coincidence. I think a better way of going about it would be demolishing a building or something that he didn't know had his brother in it. That said, it didn't disrupt my suspension of disbelief. Militaries are huge, and they have factions and subgroups that are not always good, even in the modern day. I enjoyed Rook's tragic tale completely from a writing standpoint. It was all a bummer emotionally of course (and kind of nauseating if I understood it right that Eve shot Rook's heart though his armpit, shudder).

Make sure you have backstories written (secret from the other players for story reasons but shown to the gm or otherwise) so that we know what you have in mind before approving or disapproving of it.

This is rewinding a bit, but I disagree with this. He is our GM, but Zombie is also one of my primary readers, and I try to surprise him with whatever I can when I can. Making up things and springing them on everyone is basically the fun of this, and if its not harming anyone else's characters, it shouldn't need to be submitted for approval.

DarkGemini24601

This is rewinding a bit, but I disagree with this. He is our GM, but Zombie is also one of my primary readers, and I try to surprise him with whatever I can when I can. Making up things and springing them on everyone is basically the fun of this, and if its not harming anyone else's characters, it shouldn't need to be submitted for approval.
Small things can remain secret, but the basic backstories are needed. And like I said, you don't have to show the juicy bits that you want to reveal during the story to everyone. I know one of my characters is going to have a bunch of gaps in his public bio. But the GM has the right to know anything important that might make them say no. Surprises are fun, but me and Zombie have kind of agreed that suspense over safety is not a good way to run things most of the time.

Frostlich1228

I will say that if the military dudes made him do it on purpose, it was needlessly cruel, and if they did it by accident, it was quite a coincidence. I think a better way of going about it would be demolishing a building or something that he didn't know had his brother in it. That said, it didn't disrupt my suspension of disbelief. Militaries are huge, and they have factions and subgroups that are not always good, even in the modern day. I enjoyed Rook's tragic tale completely from a writing standpoint. It was all a bummer emotionally of course (and kind of nauseating if I understood it right that Eve shot Rook's heart though his armpit, shudder).

Hey that was Zombie's idea :p
That was really, really not how I expected that scene to go. :)

Adrammalech

Small things can remain secret, but the basic backstories are needed. And like I said, you don't have to show the juicy bits that you want to reveal during the story to everyone. I know one of my characters is going to have a bunch of gaps in his public bio. But the GM has the right to know anything important that might make them say no. Surprises are fun, but me and Zombie have kind of agreed that suspense over safety is not a good way to run things most of the time.

Since "small things" isn't really definitive, I'll explain it this way. I don't plan to reveal any more about my new characters than I did Emily in her personnel file: physical characteristics, family, public history, relevant skills, and hints to quirks. If that's fine, then I'm fine.

Euan

Since "small things" isn't really definitive, I'll explain it this way. I don't plan to reveal any more about my new characters than I did Emily in her personnel file: physical characteristics, family, public history, relevant skills, and hints to quirks. If that's fine, then I'm fine.
That's a really handy way to describe it ty :)

Zain Shah

Is it a problem if you have written a lengthy backstory already because I would like everyone to be able to read it even if the characters in the roleplay don't know the backstory of my character?

DarkGemini24601

That's fine for your public bio, but if, say, your character has some dark secret like "I murdered a man in cold blood", "I used to work for the Humanity Defense and still secretly subscribe to their ideals", or other things that would be plot relevant (As in affects other characters besides your own) the GM needs to know that. It would be an awkward situation for both involved if someone's character did something that was bad enough to have them tried and executed and there was no communication on what they did beforehand. It'd upset the GM for having to end the character to not shatter realism, but it would also irritate the RPer if they thought their character wasn't going to get in trouble for that past event.

The XSDF has the resources of XCOM, so they know almost everything (especially Earth-related)

Summary of thoughts: You can keep that stuff you listed out of your general bio, but if something has the potential to be iffy (And by that I mean anything that you think MIGHT be an issue down the line), the GM needs to be told. You don't have to reveal everything, and we can keep a secret, it's just a matter of knowing ahead of time what we have to deal with.

DarkGemini24601

Speaking of bios, here's a few things you guys might find helpful.

By no means are you required to use this, but it can help as a guide.

Name:
Title/Role:
Sex:
Place of Birth:
Race/Nationality:
Height:
Weight:
Hair Color:
Hair Style :
Eye Color:
Immediate Family:
Place of Residence before XSDF:

Appearance:

Personality:

Bio:

Special Notes:

And a way of showing actual age versus physical age/appearance.

Sasha Dragomirov

Mikhail Dragomirov

Bill Cosby

Kim Kardasian

Don't forget to not divide the years before the serum by two. Though everyone (except for exceptions like Euan's character) ages 11 appearance years from 2022 to 2044.