X-COM/XSDF RP THINK TANK (part3)

Mangrale

To start off, who is planning on playing an XSDF staff member besides me, Frost, and Zombie?
Well I was still debating whether or not for a while, but I think that my guy probably will be a staff member. It's just either engineer or scientist that I'm wondering about. You know when some dudes say something "isn't their first rodeo". Well this actually is my first rodeo. The time to push limits may come eventually, but first you gotta know what they are. I think it's the best option for me in the end anyway.

Frostlich1228

Well I was still debating whether or not for a while, but I think that my guy probably will be a staff member. It's just either engineer or scientist that I'm wondering about. You know when some dudes say something "isn't their first rodeo". Well this actually is my first rodeo. The time to push limits may come eventually, but first you gotta know what they are. I think it's the best option for me in the end anyway.

Well, you could always play a staff member when you start, then add in a soldier when you feel you've gotten the hang of things. Soldiers are a lot of fun and I'd hate for you to miss out on it. :)

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
Also keep in mind that staff members don't really play as big a role as soldiers do, so your chances to write early in might be a little slim. I would take Frosts advice if you really don't think you are ready but it is just something to keep in mind. And there are a lot of staff members aside from a scientist or engineer. You could also have a doctor, or a security guard...he'll, we even had a mail man in SoD so...keep your options open.

Mangrale

Well, you could always play a staff member when you start, then add in a soldier when you feel you've gotten the hang of things. Soldiers are a lot of fun and I'd hate for you to miss out on it. :)
Sounds great! Maybe when I'm convinced I can handle the responsibility.:p

Mangrale

Also keep in mind that staff members don't really play as big a role as soldiers do, so your chances to write early in might be a little slim. I would take Frosts advice if you really don't think you are ready but it is just something to keep in mind. And there are a lot of staff members aside from a scientist or engineer. You could also have a doctor, or a security guard...he'll, we even had a mail man in SoD so...keep your options open.
What? I didn't know that. That's pretty interesting. The more I think about my character, the less I imagine him as a soldier honestly. But the doctor route intrigues me. Maybe...

Taxor_the_First

Like frost said, you can always bring in a soldier when you're comfortable doing so (within reason, of course). None of my characters in SoD were X com soldiers to begin with, then all of a sudden the scientist is running around the base like a headless chicken with a laser pistol, and the Overseer's conducting an assassination attempt themself. Hell, at the beginning, I wasn't even in the RP.

Point is, there's a lot of flexibility open to you. If you start with a single staff member and later feel you can handle a soldier, go for it. Naturally, you must consult the GM first, but unless whatever you're doing is pushing our (already rather lax) standards, it should be fine. Do what you are comfortable with. And above all enjoy yourself.

... Frost, Marine, isn't it like 4 AM where you are? Why are you up so late? Seriously guys, sleeps important.

Zain Shah

Welp, looks like I can't work on character bio for a couple of days because my shitty old laptop's charger stopped working and all of my roleplay stuff is on there :mad:.

Mangrale

Point is, there's a lot of flexibility open to you. If you start with a single staff member and later feel you can handle a soldier, go for it. Naturally, you must consult the GM first, but unless whatever you're doing is pushing our (already rather lax) standards, it should be fine.
Wow, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing sometime. Also, what the heck was I doing even considering making my guy a doctor! For a long time, I was intent on making him British! Good lord! I'm an abomination!:(

DarkGemini24601

Welp, looks like I can't work on character bio for a couple of days because my shitty old laptop's charger stopped working and all of my roleplay stuff is on there :mad:.
LE-GASP-penguins-of-madagascar-32750623-588-473.jpg
Write on paper?

DarkGemini24601

Alright, guys. So far I have...

Soldier (x4), Doctor, Scientist, Bridge Staff Member that will be working with fighter pilots, and maybe one other thing.
3.5 of those bios written.

Do note, since this is something I thought of recently, that an alternative to playing soldiers is fighter pilots. That bridge person that I'll be playing is basically the 'Fleet Coordinator' that will be in charge of fighter battles, but I leave the playing of the pilots (Characterized NPCS/Minor Characters or full characters or otherwise) to others. I know Pixy may or may not be interested in such.

Taxor_the_First

...Also, what the heck was I doing even considering making my guy a doctor! For a long time, I was intent on making him British! Good lord! I'm an abomination!:(
We've already got a Dr Hu.
Well.
Two by the time this RP is taking place. Even if I do feel weird setting those two characters up together considering one's based of a friend of mine and the other is based off... me.
Ah well. Not like I see her much nowadays anyway.

DarkGemini24601

Also, for everyone's information since I'm slow about putting together psionic rules, you are allowed to play a psionic human (or other races within the boundries outlined in their bios) . Just try to keep their abilities to a simple starting point, like a strong ability or a few weak ones.

I'll start writing up the revised version of the ability info.