XCOM Multiplayer Tournament

S

Sarge-Pepper

Can we test quick to see if anyone can watch a match in multiplayer?

Also, are we going to have set match times? If that is the case, then I figure we can make a say (Like Sunday night) where everyone gets together in Mumble or Riotcall and the Organizers dole out the matches. We split, do our thang, and come back.

Taugaunt

Can we test quick to see if anyone can watch a match in multiplayer?

Also, are we going to have set match times? If that is the case, then I figure we can make a say (Like Sunday night) where everyone gets together in Mumble or Riotcall and the Organizers dole out the matches. We split, do our thang, and come back.

We should probably test it I will go check now.

PS: No there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to watch someone's match

-No allow or add spectators option and no spectator mode

Taxor_the_First

Like I said in the think tank (kinda feel like I'm intruding there), I would be down for this. Not sure how well I'd do, but I'd like to be a part nonetheless.
As for this whole "tile watching" thing, there's really nothing we can do about that. Honor system, really.
Probably the screenshot-ing the end result would be the way to go, however proof is really only necessary if there is a disagreement.
Finally, could it be said in this thread somewhere why we are actually doing this? People may get somewhat confused if they haven't been keeping up on events. (nudge nudge)

Taugaunt

Finally, could it be said in this thread somewhere why we are actually doing this? People may get somewhat confused if they haven't been keeping up on events. (nudge nudge)

There was a reason other then for fun and getting to interact with each other a bit more?

Taxor_the_First

There was a reason other then for fun and getting to interact with each other a bit more?
Not for me there wasn't!
I seem to remember something about it somewhere in the think tank recently. Not sure where exactly though. I'd look for it myself, but I'm operating on 3G here.

Meaningofbread

OK, messed about with multiplayer with a friend for about 2 hours last night and I have this to report:

• There is no spectator mode, or way to show matches. Screenshots will have to do.
  • 10-20k resources is most definitely the best.
  • Mimetic Skin and Psychics are a no-go. They break the game way to easily.
  • Snipers don't affect things the way you would think. Completely different play style once you go against a human player.
  • J is for text chat of y'all feel fancy.
When it comes to set up a match, just take care to PM your opponent as to when is the best time for them to start the game. The winner will send a screenshot to me, and I will update the bracket accordingly!

Take these into consideration during the next 2-3 days of discussions. Then the rules will be written, and brackets will be made.

One last thing. During matches, your microphone is permanently on. So if you don't want your competitor to hear you, remember to turn it off!

Have fun!

Last edited:

BMPixy

One last thing. During matches, your microphone is permanently on. So if you don't want your competitor to hear you, remember to turn it off!

Have fun!

Funny thing is, I actually managed to win a ranked match because of that fact, as my opponent used speakers rather than more sensible headphones, so I was able to hear all his goings on. 'Twas good, because it might have devolved into yet another turtle-lurker match.

Meaningofbread

Funny thing is, I actually managed to win a ranked match because of that fact, as my opponent used speakers rather than more sensible headphones, so I was able to hear all his goings on. 'Twas good, because it might have devolved into yet another turtle-lurker match.

Hoo boy. I kept mumbling my battle plans so I got stomped every time. Only when it pointed out, THEN I realized I needed to turn my mic off. : P

Suryce

Game Master
I'm going to share a few tips for people who are not very experimented with the Multiplayer. I have put it in a quote for space saving.

First off, the tiles scanning people have been talking about it. There is no way to prevent people from using it unless they record their game with Fraps or something, so I think the most fair thing to do is to put everybody on the same page by explaining how it works: it's impossible to move to a tile that's already occupied by another unit, and this also goes for invisible units, so you can use this subtlety to detect them. If you hold the right-click when your selected unit is on the ground, a grid appears over every tile that you unit can move over, which makes it easier to see an occupied tile. But now, if you release the right-click, your selected unit will move wherever you are pointing. To prevent that, you can point back to the tile your selected unit is occupying and release the click there.
Note that this doesn't work against flying invisible units.

Secondly, there are a few major bugs that can occur during the game which can prevent you from using your units correctly:
1) The "dash bug": a blue movement will be considered to be a dash by the game and your unit will hence exhausts their two actions in one move. The only way to see this coming is the "dashing!" sign that will appear when you are pointing your mouse to a blue space. Usually, selecting another unit and then going back to the one you want to move will solve the problem.
2) The "stuck-in-the-air" bug: when you start a turn with units that are currently flying, it's possible that some of them will be unable to move. The only known way to shrug it off is have the unit to go back to the ground (it doesn't cost a move and you can relaunch your unit afterward if you want).
3) Selection bug: Never use the mouse to select a unit, use the hotkeys instead. Clicking on your units is inconsistent and can provoke a glitch where you become unable to do any actions with your units.
4) Some of the gene mods are bugged:
-Never use more than one unit with the gene mod Hypersenses. If you have several of them, you will be unable to see the signal that is supposed to indicate an enemy presence. Invisible units will still be revealed in the proximity of your unit though.
-The Bastion gene mod that heals automatically its user will not work if you are not hosting the game and your unit is not in sight of an enemy.

And to finish, a few random tips:
-To gain some time, after commanding a unit to move somewhere, you can immediately select another unit and give them their own command while the other unit is still moving.
-Alien units with melee attacks are fun to play, but make your chances of winning really low. Also note that melee attacks don't work in diagonals.
-You can't shoot an invisible unit, but you can always throw a grenade at them (or any other kind of AoE attack). If they are using Mimetic Skin (Lurker), you may even blow their cover and reveal them.
-Certain things are visible to your opponent, even if your units are invisible or out of their line of sight: psi-links, buff indicators, smoke grenades.
-You can also hear psi-abilities and Mechs' movements by pointing your camera to where your opponent is, even if their units are in the dark.
-Remember that units who are both organic and mechanical can profit and suffer from all the characteristics of both types. The only exception are the Mechs, who are immune to fire and poison.
-Battle scanners occupy a tile and are detected by the Hypersenses gene mod as if they were an unit.

Now, all of this is relatively small stuff, the most important thing is to find a squad that really works for you, if you haven't already. Do not be afraid of experimenting and doing matches against strangers until you find it (and you will also learn the maps this way).

Last edited:

Taugaunt

OK, messed about with multiplayer with a friend for about 2 hours last night and I have this to report:

• There is no spectator mode, or way to show matches. Screenshots will have to do.
  • 10-20k resources is most definitely the best.
  • Mimetic Skin and Psychics are a no-go. They break the game way to easily.
  • Snipers don't affect things the way you would think. Completely different play style once you go against a human player.
  • J is for text chat of y'all feel fancy.
When it comes to set up a match, just take care to PM your opponent as to when is the best time for them to start the game. The winner will send a screenshot to me, and I will update the bracket accordingly!

Take these into consideration during the next 2-3 days of discussions. Then the rules will be written, and brackets will be made.

Have fun!
So here is a couple of questions.

Do sectoids count as psychic?

Secondly if you know were a hidden unit is (not invisible but around a wall lets say) because it just killed your scout does it count as tile watching when you send your melee unit to kill him (your movement shows were he is)?

Meaningofbread

So here is a couple of questions.

Do sectoids count as psychic?

Secondly if you know were a hidden unit is (not invisible but around a wall lets say) because it just killed your scout does it count as tile watching when you send your melee unit to kill him (your movement shows were he is)?

• Sectoids count as psychic, but shouldn't be banned. At three health and the fact that they do 1-3 damage normally, they are pretty easy to take out. The only issue is the Mind Melds might be a little OP, but they can actually screw you over if you don't position yourself right, so that seems to be a non-issue.

• Go ahead! If you know where a unit is located based on lost LOS, then feel free to charge in whatever melee unit you have in. Just don't be playing Minesweeper: XCOM Edition for a half hour while your opponent browses Reddit on their phone. : P

Taugaunt

• Sectoids count as psychic, but shouldn't be banned. At three health and the fact that they do 1-3 damage normally, they are pretty easy to take out. The only issue is the Mind Melds might be a little OP, but they can actually screw you over if you don't position yourself right, so that seems to be a non-issue.
  • Go ahead! If you know where a unit is located based on lost LOS, then feel free to charge in whatever melee unit you have in. Just don't be playing Minesweeper: XCOM Edition for a half hour while your opponent browses Reddit on their phone. : P
Good to hear.

Firstly because one of my teams is using a sectoid and secondly because I ran into that situation in one of my test matches and was worried that it would be a problem.

Ps: if I didn't say it before I am signing up

Last edited:
S

Sarge-Pepper

There is a turn time setting while setting up the match, everything I've seen regarding tournaments with XCOM indicates that 90 sec is the norm for this kinda thing.

Also, sign me up :) I'd love to play.