XCOM Multiplayer Tournament

Gahlo

Ok, the brackets will be posted shortly!

Edit: Could i get a better clarification of what a 3man Round Robin is?

Edit 2: Bracket Here! http://challonge.com/j0vdc9z4
Split into groups of 3, everybody plays eachother. If somebody goes 2-0 they win. If not, regame. Given 9 players, the winners of the round robins go into another 3man round robin to decide the overall winner.

It's a common tactic to fudge #s of participants in they don't fit into 4/8/16/32 bracket style, or to create more leniency in the early rounds.

Taxor_the_First

Since there's a timezone difference for me (apologies for the lag in advance, though with XCOM it's not that big an issue), there may be some clashes. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) is 16 hours ahead of EST. So, for you people this means I would be available at 7:00 AM to 1:00 PM on a good day, though it would probably be slightly less than that in reality. I have to sleep too you know.

S

Sarge-Pepper

I feel that it should act more like the NFL. All the teams play each other once and at the end of the rounds, we have a clear victor in each division who play in single elimination playoffs until we have a victor.

Thenlar

I feel that it should act more like the NFL. All the teams play each other once and at the end of the rounds, we have a clear victor in each division who play in single elimination playoffs until we have a victor.
That's really involved, though. A big time commitment, which not everyone could necessarily make. I work full time and live with my girlfriend, I do have limits on available time.

Meaningofbread

Lets just keep it simple for times sake. Once you win, you get a point. You can schedule your match at any time you want. I don't really care when you play, as long as you don't make the people behind you grumpy at the fact that you haven't started yet.

Taxor_the_First

Speaking of which, when is the actual starting date?
Moreover, I noticed that I'm the one sitting the first round out. Are we doing the rounds sequentially, or are we just organizing to battle each person on the list?

S

Sarge-Pepper

Honestly, we should probably set up our builds and submit them...

Meaningofbread

Speaking of which, when is the actual starting date?
Moreover, I noticed that I'm the one sitting the first round out. Are we doing the rounds sequentially, or are we just organizing to battle each person on the list?

The starting date is "now" really. Unfortunately we had an odd number of people and that means you drew the short straw. Sorry about that, but I really had no control over who got paired with whom. Everyone will sit out for one round, and you are just going to wait for your first opponent, BMPixy, to finish his match with Sarge-Pepper.

This is going to be pretty casual and people are scattered across the globe, so it would be a nightmare to get everyone started and ended at the same time. When you finish the match, PM me this: Who was involved, and who won. From there you just need to wait until your next partner is ready.

Honestly, we should probably set up our builds and submit them...

Why? I feel it ruins the element of surprise. If it's for anti-cheating measures, we can restart any match where one side is deemed a cheater or rule-breaker. Maybe throw them that if it really gets that bad, but I trust you all right now.

S

Sarge-Pepper

The only reason I suggest keeping a log of the builds is so that people aren't tweaking them or outright switching lists in the middle of a match. More for consistency than for more paperwork.

Meaningofbread

Hey all. I decided to add anything that can be invisible to the no-no list. This includes Seekers and Ghost grenades. They are hideously broken and I feel they shouldn't be involved. If I get a group of you who want me to change it back, just tell me. Majority rules are in effect.

S

Sarge-Pepper

I would like to make an exception for seekers. Their low HP and melee attack completely nerf the ability. I could see a cloaked mec with Ghost grenade on it seriously wrecking shop, but a seeker is really only a threat to a solo character.

BMPixy

Regarding the topic of releasing builds, I suggest each player screenshot their three teams, and then release them after everyone/most people have had their first match, so that way nobody can rebuild their teams to counter another one before the tournament really begins. Also, for the first match at least, we do have that element of surprise, using that method.

Taxor_the_First

So sequentially then. Got it.
I personally would also vote in favor of keeping the seekers, because they are generally easily countered if not used correctly. And it's difficult to use them correctly, especially given the low health and ranged power.
I like the idea of screenshot-ing our teams after the first match. Technically, it would preserve the element of surprise given the inability to alter our teams for the entire rest of the tournament.
So should I, since I don't have a match to screenshot after (I guess you could say that the :cool: "odds" were against me), just do it pretty much now? After all, if I wait for everyone else, then I would have the advantage of having seen others builds long before I had to lock my own in.

Suryce

Game Master
I see no reason to ban the Seekers and Ghost Grenade, since it costs at least 2000 points for each, which is pretty big. As stated above, the Seeker is a weak unit, and as for the ghost grenade, it's only one use for one turn.
In a 20K match, a seeker is pretty inconsequential. It's a good scout at best, and if you are afraid of the strangulation, you can easily counter it by giving chitin plating to your human soldiers. And if your opponent takes a good amount of ghost grenades, then their units are going to be weak, which makes it a risky strategy.
Also, invisibility in general is easy to counter with the Hypersenses genemod or battle scanners.

S

Sarge-Pepper

Me and my opponent are going with Bar as default. Is that okay?

S

Sarge-Pepper

Loss for Sarge. After a fun first match, the final two came down to two strong units vs one of my weak ones.

http://imgur.com/a/NaI22

Album is 3 screenshots of the final screens.

Taugaunt

Well I am happy to announce that I won 2-1.

The first match was basically due to my opponent missing 3 90%

The second was more even but due to a mistake I lost

The third match I switched teams and ended up winning with only two team members on the field

So I wish everyone better luck in there next match. (even if I want to win all of mine)

here is the link to the results: http://imgur.com/a/uMm0N