RP X-Com Role-Play Missions

DarkGemini24601

BMPixy, Frostlich1228, and DarkGemini24601: "Another One Bites the Dust, Part 3"

Ammelia slipped the combat knife from her belt and slid it across the floor towards Atka, “I have one, here!”

Atka took the weapon, and slid it into a telekinetic lance in place of the spike. “Should come back in one piece.” A dark blue glow surrounded the blade, and she got out of cover, dashing to the side with her chameleon suit and lightning reflexes being enough to dodge the incoming fire. The scout captain shot the imbued knife-helix at the head of Abdel. Resist this.

“Wha-!?” Abdel managed to exclaim, instinctively recoiling as he saw the knife heading in his direction. The knife embedded itself in the man’s eye, and he uttered a short scream before falling backwards off of the technical, where he was silent.

Still despite the small victory of taking out the man on the technical, there were still just over two dozen EXALT troopers pouring fire towards the XCOM forces. A burst from Albert brought it down to exactly two dozen.

“Emma, I think it’s a good time to call for some back up, don’t you!?” Ammelia spoke, unable to even peek her head over the cover.

“...perhaps so,” Emma responded over the clamor of laser fire, and clicked a button on her wrist, then a screen on the resulting holographic pad. “Mr. Cross, I have a request...”

David’s face appeared on screen with a familiar looking news report in the background. “Ah, Emma. I suppose it has something to do with that doesn’t it?” He said as he motioned towards the flatscreen in the back.

“We have a bit of a...situation on our hands. I request that you send the two stealth drones I left you, as well as a squad of my forces stationed in Cross Tech,” the clone of Elene confirmed.

“Already sent.” He said calmly, “I figured I was going to get this call sooner or later. I’ve also sent a little project of mine along with them, no better time for a test run right?”

“I’m sure Ammelia will be impressed,” Emma affirmed. “Thank you, Mr. Cross.”

“Hey, what was that call about?” Albert asked, flinching back from a laser tearing off a piece of cover close to his head. “I thought you guys were the reinforcements?”

“Well, my associate is providing additional backup. In fact, he already has.” Emma looked to Ammelia. “Your father has some sort of surprise, though I’m not quite sure what it is.”

“I certainly hope it can save us from being pinned down here…” Atka mumbled, wiping off the bloody knife before returning it to the sniper. “Thanks.”

“No problem, you can put it to better use than I could anyway.” The sniper replied, sliding it back on her belt.

As they were talking a Exalt soldier maneuvered around the boxes stealthily, coming up behind Ammelia with his knife raised. Mary turned just in time to see the assassin and instinctively flung Ammy behind her, trying her best to hold the knife back. However the clone’s physical augmentations were too much for her to bear as he slid the knife into her stomach.

“Mary!” Ammelia screamed as she quickly slid the knife out of her belt, lunging forward and thrusting the knife though the clone’s neck with both hands. The clone feel backwards, gurgling as he attempted in vain to pull the blade from his windpipe, slowly drowning in his own blood as Ammelia turned towards her sister.

Mary slowly looked down at her injury, wrapping her fingers around the handle of the knife and slowly pulling it out. Mary dropped the knife on the floor next to her and Ammelia tried desperately to stop her sister’s bleeding. “Dorian! I need help!”

The medic quickly ran over, assessing the situation. “Shit...was there poison on that?” He muttered, noticing the toxins on the knife. Grey pulled out his medkit, applying the medspray to stop the virulent substance from causing too much damage, and did his best to seal up the wound.

Mary looked up at Ammelia and cracked a pained grin, “Eh’ ‘ever ‘ought eh’d… take ‘eh knife fe’ ‘omeone… Eh’ ‘uess ‘at’s pr-prog’ess’”

“Don’t talk… please…” Ammelia begged, looking up as gauss fire hit the soldiers in front of her from somewhere outside the building. Legion troopers marched robotically towards the dozen clones, sandwiching them between the two forces. At the back of the group there was a unique robotic soldier adorned with an an alloy crown and kevlar cape built into the model, firing grenades from a grenade launcher mounted on it’s arm.

“Okay, that’s one hell of a back-up,” Albert muttered, lowering his rifle as the EXALT began to rout from the sudden onslaught of high explosives and gauss fire. “You think I could get the Commander to send a grenade launcher like that my way?” he added, directed to no-one in particular.

“After Scarlet Van Dam brought one into her office…” Atka left it at that. She got up from cover, and took aim, easily taking down an off-guard operative. Janina followed with a shot of her own, as did Grey.

Following the captain’s lead, Amanda and Kevin ran out from cover, charging the enemy. Amanda took some hits, but her armor was more than enough as she let loose her flamethrower, laying waste to the enemy. Kevin jumped out from behind her, and blew a sniper off the back of one of the trucks. “Home run, right?” he said with a grin.

Amidst the wreckage of the ruined, burning vans and dead EXALT, the sound of the firefight slowly came to a halt as the last of the enemies perished and the scattered troopers came to this realization. Slowly Albert stepped out of cover, rifle lowered but at the ready.

“Well, that certainly was a fun excursion,” he deadpanned, scanning the ruined environment. “Good thing most of this was EXALT’s turf, else we might have to find out how much insurance we have.”

Emma nodded, distracted, and walked over to the customized legion trooper, a small grin forming on her face. “Your help is appreciated, ‘King’.”

The regal looking machine bowed, “It was my pleasure. How is Ammelia?”

“Safe, though we have had more than one close call today,” Emma responded, leaning over slightly to see if Ammelia had noticed her talking to her father’s machine.

Ammelia was kneeling next to her now unconscious sister as she helped Dorian bandage her wound. Her father’s machine approached her as she looked up at it, a few teardrops welled up in her eyes.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be here myself, but I couldn’t afford to have them discover my identity. It would’ve put you and my entire company at risk.” The Machine spoke in her father’s voice.

“I understand, dad… Thank you…” The sniper replied, smiling slightly at the avatar of her father.

Rubbing a palm over his eyes, Albert stepped over to Atka, and asked, “So, uh, didn’t want to mention this earlier, but isn’t the squad normally a soldier larger?”

“...Fujioka didn’t make it,” the scout captain explained.

The Amero-Anglican muttered a curse, shaking his head somberly. “Shame. She was a good soldier…” he trailed off, unsure of where to lead the conversation. “Anyways, seems we’re clear on hostiles, you want to give the extract order?” he asked.

Atka merely nodded.

As the Skyranger lifted off into the distance and Cross Tech’s forces returned to base, a single, charred hand lifted from behind the laser technical. A heave brought Abdel onto the bed of the vehicle, one hand clutched over the hastily healed wound on his face. He slowly glanced around the desolate street, the bodies of his allies littering the floor.

The distant sound of sirens approaching caught the man’s attention, and he quietly whispered, “From ashes to ashes, dust to dust.” The hand that was not clutching his face reached into his coat, pulling the laser pistol from within. “So we all return.”

The signature fizzle of the laser pistol echoed through the silent street, and the man crumpled to the bed of the truck.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
X-COM Mission Parameters
Ethereal Base Assault

Operation Diligent Temperantia

Date:
September 15th, 2018
Time: 1400 Hours

Briefing: Yesterday, at 1700 Hours, our Hyperwave Relay narrowed down the location of a large psionic energy signature we have been tracking in the Untied States of America. Again, we received some 'assistance' from a cloaked UFO that fled the area at the last moment.

Investigation of the area in question within a secluded area of the Rocky Mountains on the boarder of Montana, USA, and British Columbia, Canada, set off a hornets nest of alien battle UFOs. Our Firestorms were able to hold their own, and while we are currently at a stalemate with them, constant monitoring for cloaked ships has prevented the Ethereal's escape, which we believe was the reason for the sudden attack upon our arrival.

As with the last Ethereal, our strike team has been given plenty of time to rest and prepare. The energy reading suggests it is one of the Seven, likely Gula, but as the readings are quite lower then Invidia, we have decided to reserve our senior Psionic soldiers for the other Ethereals. Regardless, do not underestimate Gula. Our hacked files suggest he is the most heavily guarded of the seven, so expect a welcoming party. And regardless of comparative strength, he is still an Ehthereal.

Number of soldiers for this mission: Fifteen (15), accompanied by one (1) Alloy SHIV, one Hover SHIV, and one support android (A.L.I.C.E.)

Soldier Names:
LT (SGT) Arturo, Maximillian (Heavy) [Muscle Fiber Density, Iron Skin]*
SGT Christel, Sylvia (Scout) (Yellow Psionic)
SGT Palmer, Ermen (Assault)
SGT Burton, Reginald (Assault) [Adrenal Neurosympathy, Iron Skin]
SGT Aegerter, Eva (Infantry) [Iron Skin, Adaptive Bone Marrow, Smart Macrophages, Hyper Reactive Pupils, Adrenal Neurosympathy]
SGT Akizuki, Airi (Engineer)
SGT Akizuki, Marina (Support)
SGT Finch, Terry (Support)
SGT Ashley Van Dam (Medic) (Blue Psionic)
SGT Shake, Letz (Rocketeer) [Magnified Bicep Structure]
CPL Murphy, Kelly (Sniper) [Hyper-Reactive Pupils]
CPL Griffith, Stanley (Sniper)
CPL Yamazaki, Ryan (Gunner)
CPL Thomas, Joe (Gunner)
CPL Oliver, Zack (Engineer)

Alloy S.H.I.V. Unit 1: "Bandersnatch"
Hover S.H.I.V. Unit 2: "Jubjub"

*Squad Leader

Gear: Players' characters' will be equipped with the following supplies:

- Primary weapon: Either a Pulse Stengun, a Pulse Carbine, a Pulse Rifle, a Heavy Pulse Rifle (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Scatter Blaster (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Pulse Sniper Rifle (Sniper), a Blaster Rifle (Scout, Sniper), a Pulse Autoblaster (Gunner, Heavy), or a Gatling Pulser (Gunner, Heavy)

(Recoilless Rifle for Heavies and Rocketeers, Pulse Lance for MECs, Superheavy Pulser for SHIVs)

- Armor: Kestrel Armor, Carapace Armor, Banshee Armor, or Aegis Armor (Four Shadow Armors also available)

- Secondary Weapon: Either a Laser Pistol, a Blaster, or a Hand Scatter Plasma Blaster (H.S.P.B.)

- Equipment: Two (2) of the following; a medikit, combat stims, alloy plating, reinforced armor, chitin plating, a battle scanner, an AP grenade, an alien grenade, a psi grenade, a smoke grenade, a chem grenade, a ghost grenade, a high-capacity magazine, a targeting module, a mind shield, or an Arc Thrower.

(Chameleon Suit available for Scouts, Shredder Rocket for Rocketeers)

Details:
Our Skeleton key will open a hanger in the side of the mountain. After moving/fighting through it, you'll make your way through the usual series of corridors. The base contains a fairly expansive engineering bay, so beware of mechanized enemies.

After making your way through a rather large soldier barracks, you will pass through a large psionics lab, which will show evidence of a lot of experimentation on humans, but no actual humans, aside from a few shriveled husks that resemble humans, but look like they've had their very essence sucked out of them.

You'll then find yourself in a large, blood and gore stained room the size of a small stadium. Here, you'll have to fight Gula's pet, a titanic alien known as a Kerberant.

Beyond this room the the base's central command, and the base's Ethereal master.

Enemies:
Four (4) units containing four (4) Sectoids each
One (1) unit containing one (1) Sectoid Commander and three (3) Sectoids
Four (4) unit containing four (4) Thin Men
Four (4) units containing four (4) Mutons
One (1) unit containing two (2) Mutons and two (2) Berserkers
One (1) unit containing four (4) Incubators
One (1) unit containing two (2) Alien Hover SHIVs
One (1) unit containing two (2) Cyberdiscs and two (2) Drones
One (1) unit containing one (1) Mechtoid and two (2) Sectoids
One (1) Kerberant
One (1) unit containing three (3) Muton Elites
Gula

Special Enemy Notes:
Hover SHIVs operate much like X-COM's, though they have a much large missile chamber

Incubators have been modified to remove their psionic abilities and intelligence, making them feral, like slightly easier to control Chyrssalids.

Gula focuses mainly on purple psionics, and can mind control several people at once. He can also disrupt people with a mind fray and psi panic, has a nasty psi lance, and moderately powerful telekinesis. He has a psi inspiration ability that he'll use on the Kerberant. Finally, he has his own, special ability to drain psionic energy from another. How much he can drain, and how quickly, depends on distance. Everyone should avoid physical contact with him, especially psions, and especially blue and purple psions, his favorite.

Conditions for Completion:

The defeat of the Ethereal Gula

Civilians:

None that will get in the way. Holding cells for the Kerberant's feeding contain dozens of civilians that can be evacuated after the mission.

Dahlexpert

Eva, Ashley, and the rest of the unit headed towards big sky. "Eva!" Alice ran up, rifle in hand. "Here’s your weapon."

"Ah, my Pulse Carbine. Thank you for this Alice. I can’t wait to see how it does in the field."

Alice smiled. “I’m glad I could be of help, Eva.”

Ashley looked confused look, wondering who Eva is talking to, but didn’t bother to ask questions. “Eva, you coming or not? We have an Ethereal to hunt down.”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming." Eva and Alice got on the transport ship, and they headed to the Ethereal base.

Ashley noticed Eva was carrying one grenade on her." You normally carry more than just one grenade, Eva. What’s up?"

"I’m saving this grenade for our Ethereal friend. I’m guessing that you have a mind shield?"

Ashley nodded. “Yeah, I don’t want to be controlled by that thing, but if any one else does, I’ll be sure to snap them out of it.

"Heads up," the pilot yelled back. "Firebirds keeping' em busy. We're going in."

The skeleton key opened the hanger, and Big Sky landed inside. "Alright, show time people! Let’s get this over with," said Arturo. The door to the plane opened, and the unit stormed out. They were immediately met by a two units of Sectoids.

"Aw, look a welcoming committee. They're so cute!" Ashley fired her pulse rifle at one of the Sectoids.

Eva ran to cover and fired. "Come on, you little bastards!. Is that all you got?”

"We don’t have time for this," Arturo mumbled. He fired with the others. "Hey, Akizuki... Akizukis! Both of you focus on the Sectoids on our left flank. Eva, Ryan, Palmer, you three focus on the ones on our right flank. Ashley, Letz, Sylvia, and I will take the middle. Let’s do this, people!"

The XCOM forces followed Arturo orders and fired at the two groups of Sectoids, covering their flanks and firing at the aliens from all sides. Kelly fired her sniper rifle at any that tries to escape."

When the smoke clear, Arturo turned to the others. “Alright, nice work everybody. Bring out the SHIVs and Alice, and let’s move out." The X-COM unit moved forward and into the base. "Wait!" Arturo raised his hand, hearing something. A mist of poison was fired at the soldiers. "Focus! (cough). Thin men! (cough, cough) Move!" The SHIV moved up to cover the others. "Eva, go with them, since you're immune to this stuff. (cough cough)

"Right." Eva nodded towards the android. "Alice, come with me. Since you’re an android, you're immune to this stuff too. But let she SHIVs go first and use them as cover, got it!" Eva and Alice moved with the SHIVs as the fired at the four units of Thin Man. Both Eva and Alice joined them once they got in cover.

Arturo coughed a few more times, yelling out, "Eva, how far are they?"

"About 5 meters away, 12:00 from your position, sir."

"Great, Letz fire your rocket straight ahead of us!"

"You got it, sir." Letz loaded his rocket and fired it in the Thin Men's direction, killing at least half of them.

"Great shot," Arturo said with a nod. "Eva, keep firing on them." The cloud of poison between them and the SHIVs. "Alright, finally, that damn cloud is gone."

Eva and Alice continued to fire along the SHIVs, keeping the Thin Men pinned down. The aliens fired back, bit not aiming at Eva or Alice. Pinned down and hopeless, they fired at the rest of the X-COM forces as they ran up to help, out of cover.

One of the plasma shots hit Oliver in his head, going right through and leaving a giant hole in the middle of his face. "Damn it!" Arturo gritted his teeth. "Finish them!" The soldiers opened up on the remaining Thin Men. In the end, there was nothing left but a green poison mist where the aliens had been.

Arturo sighed. "Wait here until the poison is lifted. Until then, reload your weapons and get ready to move back out. Finch, Palmer, get... get Oliver back to the ship."

"Um, sir?" Alice walked up to the Lieutenant. "Should we really be sitting here, waiting for the poison to lift? What if the aliens come through that smoke, or if the Ethereal tries to escape?"

Arturo shook his head. "You’re new to this right? Look, that poison not only poison to us but them too. So they're not coming through that unless they send more Thin Men. Second we have the skies occupied. If the Ethereal tries to get away by air, they will shoot him out of the sky. And if he tries to escape via a back door, we're watching his psi energy reading then, and we'll take him out with our ships then. So the primary target isn’t going anywhere."

"Y-yes sir." Alice rubbed her chin in thought.

The cloud of smoke dissipated after a few minutes. "Okay, people, move out."

The team heard a large growling sound coming from where the smoke was. "We have company."

A pack of Incubators came from the shadows and rushed the soldiers, snarling and snapping, growling and drooling.

"What the fuck are these things!" Screamed Griffith.

They look like Incubators, but they're different," Sylvia yelled back. "Normally, they're not this aggressive. Normally, they play mind games and can see a few seconds in the future, but they just don’t up and attack us like mindless animals."

Ashley continued to fire at the Incubators while running to the side. "Wait, is this the same spices of alien that infiltrated the base and attacked the Commander's daughter?”

"Yes, it is," Ryan jumped out of the way of a swipe.

"Good." Ashley charged one of the Incubators, weaving and dogging its attacks. "Eat this, kitty!" Ashley used her psi powers and hit it with a mind fray. While the incubator was disoriented, Ashley grabbed her grenade and through it into the its mouth, blowing it’s head off. "That was for the Commander's daughter, you son of a bitch.”

One of the Incubators snapped at Eva. She thrust her carbine forward, using it as a shield. "Get off me, you bastard!" Eva gave the demonic-looking cat an uppercut. "Now fire at it!"

The others focused their fire starting with the incubator attacking Eva, until each of them were down.

"These things are usually smarter than this." Terry wiped some sweat from his brow. "I wonder what the hell made them fight like mindless chryssalids."

"Who cares?" Ashley said. "Lets keep moving."

The X-COM forces continued through the base, and came to a large, machine filled room. "An engineering bay." Marina looked around.

Airi nodded. "I’m sure once we're done with this mission, we can salvage what’s left of this place."

"Well, the area looks clear," Arturo cautiously said. "Get to cover, though. We have no idea where the aliens are, so be on your guard."

Just as he finished, a Cyberdisk with two drones came from the north end of the engineering room. From the west end came two of the alien SHIVs, followed by a Mechtoid and two Sectoids.

"Shit! Every get to cover and time your shots. We're dealing with mechanical enemies here, so make ever shot count!" Arturo scanned the room. "I want our SHIVs to take down the aliens SHIVs. Ashley and Eva, focus on the Mectoid. Alice, back them up but don't expose yourself. Kelly, give them some back up as well. Sylvia, Palmer, Akizukis, you focus on the Cyberdisk. Everyone else give them back up. Do not let the enemy fall back. Keep them pinned down and watch out for those SHIVs' missiles.

"Yes, sir!"

"Come on, baby boy. You don’t need those two little cannon fodders..." Eva fired her pulse carbine at one of the Sectoids, taking it out. "Aw, see? That’s much better." The Mectoid opened fired at Eva, pinning her down. "Ah, damn you, motherfucker."

Ashley fired her weapon at the last Sectoid. "Alice, can you open fire on this thing. It’s going to take all three of us to kill it."

"Okay, I got it." Alice switched her main energy backs to power her weapons, and opened her palm cannon.

The two alien SHIVs took aim at two snipers at the back, making the long range enemy their primary targets. They locked on to the snipers, but the X-COM SHIVs open fired on them, preventing them from firing as they dodged.

Arturo and his team focus fired on the Cyberdisk as it transformed and prepared lobed a grenade at Arturo and his group. "Fucking hell, keep firing at it!" The alien machine suddenly powered its main weapon, and everyone ducked, save for one. It fired at the X-COM forces, and beam penetrated Thomas' armor, leaving him with a hole in his chest. "Damn it! Keep in cover!"

The Mechtoid continued to keep Eva pinned down. "Damn it, will you two kill this damn thing?"

"We’re working on it!" Ashley and Alice pooped over their covered and fired at the Mechtoid, severely damaging it.

"I don’t think this thing can take much more," said Alice.

"Good, let’s finish it off," Ashley responded. Alice, Ashley, Kelly concentrated their fire, Eva joining in as the Mectoid staggered. Finaly, its systems started to malfunction, and it self-destructed.

"Alright, now than let’s get to work on..." Eva started, when another Cyberdisk came from the east corridor. "Oh, crap."

"What, another one?" Ashley scoffed. "Great. Just butt-fucking great." Her choice of words got a raised eyebrow from Alice, bit she said nothing. The second Cyberdisk quickly transformed and started to open fire at them. "Damn it to hell. Hey guys, get to suppressing that thing or something!"

Airi threw a grenade in the direction of the first Cyberdisk while Arturo threw one of his alien grenades at the second, doing minor damage to both.

The alien SHIVs continued to take damage from the X-COM SHIVs, but the suddenly dashed to the side, changed targets, and fired their rockets at Arturo, deciding do target the perceived leader. The lieutenant barely jumped out of the way in time. "Damn it, things are getting bad."

Sylvia sent a illusion of herself over her cover to gain the attention of both Cyberdisks, allowing the rest of the team to fire their weapons at the first, destroying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Part Two

"Great, now about those SHIVs!" Arturo shouted. Shake, Yamazaki, Finch, Ashley, and Burton focused fire along with the SHIVs, doing critical damage to the alien SHIVs and causing them to drop to the ground. The X-COM SHIVs rushed forward and finished them off. "Alright, now, as for the last Cyberdisk..."

The alien saucer transformed into its disk form and tried to fall back. "Hey, get back here," said Burton

“Hold it, Burton,” Arturo yelled. “Keep calm. It knows we’re going to follow it. It expects us to follow it.” The soldiers followed after it with their weapons pointed in the direction it fled. After a few moments the, Cyberdisk turned around and fired it cannons. hitting and severely damaging one of the SHIVs.

Eva fired her rifle at the Cyberdisk, finishing it off. “Heh heh heh!” Eva started to yell, letting out a blood call and releasing some adrenaline.

“Eva, why did you do a blood call?” asked Ashley.

“I get the feelings that were going to need it.” Eva shrugged. “Plus, I can do that a few more times if I need to. And it… is kinda automatic.”

The X-COM forces continued down the hall reaching the barracks. “Oh crap.” Yamazaki noticed multiple units of Mutons and two Berserkers. The Berserkers rushed the soldiers, and Eva rushed one of them, releasing her restriction to level two.

“Eva what are you doing?” Arturo asked.

“Look, let me distract one of these things. They are mindless and will bone rush us no matter what. And we can’t have that along with mutons shooting us. So I will take on this one and you guys take on the rest.” Eva pulled out her Hand Scatter Plasma Blaster and fired it at the rushing beast, doing moderate damage to it but not stopping it. “Oh shit.” The Berserker punched Eva in the face and stomach. Eva backed up, wiping blood from her lip. “Ha. Is that all you got? Come on, let’s see you do better.”

While Eva was dealing with the angered alien, Arturo yelled out, “Griffith, Kelly, focus on the Mutons in the back. Akizuki, Ashley, Alice, Shake, Yamazaki, focus on suppressing fire. SHIVs, Sylvia, Palmer, Burton, and I will handle the ones up front.”

As Eva continued her fight with the Berserker, she shouted, “I don’t have time for this!” Eva punched the alien in its stomach, momentarily stunning it. She switched to her rifle and unload the entire magazine on it and point blank range, causing it to fall on back and die. “Like I said, I don’t have time to waste.” Eva joined the rest of X-COM. The second Berseker took the front of the hail of bullets and fell easily, but the hail of plasma didn’t slow.

“Damn it, this fight isn’t going anywhere.” Arturo ducked his head down to avoid losing it. “Hey, Shake, how many rockets do you have left?”

Shake looked in his bag “One left, sir.”

“Good, aim your rocket right in the middle of the Mutons. That should do reasonable damage to them and destroy any cover they have.”

“Alright, got is sir.” Shake loads his last rocket as the others covered him. He fired firesd, his rocket talking out several of the Mutons and wiping out the bunks and pillar they used for cover.

“Nice shooting, Shake. Every one, light them up! They don’t have any cover, so take them down!” The soldiers opened up on the pack of Mutons, moving forward as the did. The Mutons fell one by one as the tried to fall back down the hallway. “Don’t give them an inch people!” After a few more minutes, the wall of fire took down the last alien.

As she stopped firing, Ashley started to shake. Alice ran up to her. “What’s wrong, Ashley?”

“It’s near. I can feel him. The Ethereal, he’s beyond this hallway.”

“Oh, hey, um, lieutenant!” Alice ran to Arturo’s side. “Ashley says that we’re getting close to the Ethereal.”

“Good.” Arturo answered. “Alright, reload here. And status report on our explosives.”

“We’re out of rockets,” said Shake.

“I have a grenade from the base left,” said Airi. “And a couple alien ones I found in engineering.

“I have one psi grenade,” added Eva.

“Damn it. Okay, people, save your grenades. We might need them for our psionic friend.”

A bolt of plasma flew past Sylvia’s chest. “Whoa! We have company!” Another pack of Mutons ran up. “This must be there last defense… I hope.”

“Alright, people!” Arturo yelled, “they’re probably guarding the last line of defense for the Ethereal, so let’s make this quick.”

Everyone ran behind cover and opened. “We don’t have time for this.” Ashley used her mind fray on a Muton, confusing it, and fired her pulse rifle, taking it out. “Wow, these powers are more useful than I thought.”

As the rest of the team continue firing at the Mutons, Kelly fired at a pair of Mutons trying to push forward.

“Nice shooting, Kelly. Come one people, we have them on the ropes, keep pressing the assault, “Arturo shouted.

“Alright. Let’s make this quick..” Eva put her Hyper Reactive Pupils into overdrive, making her shots more accurate and taking out several mutons in the process. “And release. Alright, no bleeding eyes. Progress.”

“Hey, push those SHIVs Forward and have them take the front,” Artuor said into is comm. The SHIVs moved forward, not giving the mutons any room to fall back. “Alright, now that they’re bunched together, Akizuki, grenade!” Airi threw her HE grenade at the pack of mutons finishing the off and blowing the door open.”

The soldiers quickly but carefully made their way out of the barracks. After moving through a series of eerily quiet corridors, they came to a stop outside a room blocked by an energy door. Holding up his fingers to quietly count down with one hand, Arturo placed his other by the door. On zero, the door was open, and a quick spray of pulse energy quickly obliterated the few Sectoids within before they could lift their weapons.

Entering the lab, Alice was suddenly struck with the sense of something entering her mechanized brain. She turned to a Sectoid Commander, peeking his head out, a purple strand of energy flowing from him. Kill them! Kill them all!

“No,” Alice said flatly, wrapping her hand around the alien’s neck and lifting him up. Turning the choking alien towards Arturo, she asked, “Lieutenant? Captive or corpse?”

“Corpse. We don’t have enough room on base for another live alien. Plus we don’t want to a Sectoid Commander and an Ethereal in the same place on base.”

“Good point,” Alice responded, and snapped the alien’s neck.

“Scary,” Marina mumbled as she helped the others comb over the lab for any more hiding surprises. Taken aback, she shouted, “Lieutenant! Ashley! Come here!” As the two approached, she knelt by a partially opened tube, what looked like a mummified human within. “What do you make of this, Ms. Van Dam?”

“That’s a good question.” Ashley put her hand on the mummified human “Hmm... it’s alive, but barely. Now Lieutenant, if we open this, I can heal him, or we can see what it does and take it down. Or we can just ignore it.”

“Open the pod, but keep your guns at the ready people.” Ashley opened the pod and the mummified human fell to it’s knees. “Now we wait.”

The person slowly raised his head, but only gave them a pleading look. He suddenly collapsed, dead before he hit the ground. As the soldiers looked on in horror, Alice walked over to the nearby computer and plugged into it. After a few moments, she said, “Most of this is encrypted. Whoever this was, he had psionic powers, though he was already practically dead.”

Sylvia shook her head. “I couldn’t sense psionics from him. I couldn’t sense anything. It was like his soul had been sucked dry.” She looked at Ashley, knowing the medic’s powers were more attune for such a thing.

“Damn. I sensed a little bit of life in him, but I didn't sense any psionics in him. It’s kinda weird that I got nothing from this guy.”

Alice’s eyes glowed a faint blue as she delved into the system. “Maybe it has something to do with the Ethereal. I’m looking, but I can’t…” Her eyes suddenly changed to a deep red, and she clenched her head in pain. Terry rushed forward, yanking the cord she was using out off the alien computer as Alice collapsed to her knees.

Eva rushed towards Alice to see if she’s okay. “Alice are you alright? What happen to you? Was there a virus, or a failsafe, or something like that?”

Terry looked at Alice. “Yeah, that was weird. What happened to you?”

Alice twitched a few times, and her eyes returned to normal. “E-Eva was right… virus. Nasty. I’d rather not try that again.”

Burton rolled his eyes. “If the doll is finished, can we move on? We have an alien leader to hunt down.”

“Who are you calling a Doll?” Eva said.

“Eva save it,” Ashley said. “I can since the Ethereals presence. He’s straight ahead, and I can feel something else in there, something... different.”

“Well than, let’s move out people,” Arturo said. “Alice can you stand?”

The android woman nodded. She quickly climbed to their feet and continued along. After going through a connecting pathway, they found themselves in a huge room, easily as large as all the rooms they had passed through combined. Letting out a long whistle, Airi thought out loud, “What’s this place for? Alien soccer?”

Ashley looked around and almost recognized the room. “It’s an arena, like the one in Rome where gladiators fought each other.”

“And you know this because?” Arturo asked.

“I’ve been in the Coliseum. I've also studied it for years. This place matches the inside of one, but without any of the stands for the audience.”

Griffith swallowed hard. “Did… didn’t they also use them to feed criminals to the lions for the amusement of…”

From a hidden chamber above the entrance they had come in through, a Muton clad in red armor jumped down. The soldiers all raised their weapons, but despite looking like a Berserker, the alien didn’t charge. “What are you guys waiting for?” Burton yelled, taking aim.

“Wait!” Sylvia shouted. “There is something weird about its armor!”

Last edited:

Dahlexpert

Part Three

“Whatever,” Burton mumbled, and fired. The pulse energy struck the aliens armor, and seemed to be absorbed into it. It started to glow and pulse until it exploded, an explosion great enough to destroy the entry way, blocking the soldiers path back where they had come from.

“Nice going, you fucking idiot” Eva said. “No one ordered you to shoot that thing. If you had waited then this wouldn't have happened!”

“Eva it doesn't matter. We’ll find another way around somehow,” Arturo responded.

Airi walked past Eva, mumbling, “You hold him, and I’ll punch.” Speaking up, she pointed across the room. “There is another door, next to those giant gates… g… g-giant… g-gates…”

Said gates slowly opened. From within the darkness came the sound of thunderous stomping. Terry slowly scanned the room, noting the large, steel changes filled with blood and gore. “Oh God…”

Ashley started to shake. “Tha…..that thing I was feeling, the... the thing that was different from the rest it’s beyond that gate.”

Eva looked at Ashley. Woah. Ash is actually trembling, and she normally doesn't do that, even when we were in the alien’s base facing everything and anything. She still wasn't scared. But looking at her now she’s actually trembling. This might be bad.

From the shadows came a titanic creature, a nightmare on four legs. Dragged along on its over stuffed stomach, using its giant claws to propel itself forward until it reached the center of the room. Its body was a sickly peach, and seemed to be covered in a thin layer of mucus. From a large hole in the front of its abdomen, resembling the front of a turtle’s shell, three heads on three long necks erupted forward. The heads resembled skin canines, but with no eyes or ears to note. Their necks, like twelve foot long, four foot thick worms. Each razor-sharp tooth filled maw was large enough to swallow a man whole. With amazing speed, the heads lunged forward, one heading for Griffith, one for Burton, and one for Ashley.

“OH, FUCK!” Ashley leapt to the side, dodging the attack. “Shit, what the fuck is this thing?! It’s massive, bigger than anything we ever faced! Oh man, if I get home, I’m staying there for weeks.”

Eva looked at the monster, and started to shoot at it. “Well, the pulse shots seem to have little effect on it. LT, any suggestions?” Arturo looked at the beast in fear and started to tremble. Great he's so scared that he can’t move. Just fucking great.

Despite his fear, Arturo had enough sense to run. The creatures other targets didn’t. Griffith laughed maniacally as the monster snatched him up, nearly ripping him in half as it lapped him up. Burton only starred as the third head reached him.

“What are you doing!” Marina screamed, plowing into the large man to shove him out of the way. As the assault rolled to the side, the creature’s head slammed into Marina, sending her flying across the room. She slammed into the wall and crashed to the floor, screaming in pain as she clenched her right arm.

Ashley snapped out of her fear and saw everyone else in fear. Okay, let’s see if this works. Ashley calmed herself down and started to talk to ever on through her telepathy. Listen everyone, I know you're scared but we need to get it together. We can’t die here, not when we're so close to our target. Lieutenant, we’ll defend you while you come up with a plan. Eva, use your blood call thing to give everyone a small boost of courage.

Eva looks at Ashley “Ashley when did you learn psi inspiration?”

Does it fucking matter! I’m improvising. Use blood call! Ashley yelled in their minds.

“Um, right, but I have a better idea.” Eva put Adrenal Neurosympathy into overdrive and used a blood call to fill the room with her blood call. “Ok, that should help everyone out… now for this thing.” She started to fire her weapon at the giant monster again, running back.

Snapped out of her shock, Airi ran to her sister’s side. “Marina! Marina, anata ni daijōbudesu (are you okay)!?”

“N… no…” Marina answered, in too much pain to lie.

“Get her to that cage,” Terry said, pointing to the cage Ashley, Eva, and Sylvia were backing towards. Airi nodded, and they both picked up the injured support. Halfway there, the middle head targeted them, shooting forward. “No!” Terry yelled, and shoved the sisters forward as the monstrous head reached them, latching on to the man and devouring him.

Marina screamed as she and her sister were drenched in blood, and Airi choked back tears as she dragged her sister to safety.

The right head focused on Eva, her abilities drawing its attention. Either not noticing or not caring about her weapon’s attack, it lunged at her just as she was about to reach cover. Alice ran to the young infantry, grabbing her arm and thrusting her out of harms way. Turning to the creature, with no where to run, the android closed her eyes and jumped forward, and the giant alien swallowed her whole.

“ALICE!” Eva screamed. “Now you made me mad!” Release restrictions to level one. Now sending iron skin and adaptive bone marrow into overdrive. Do not restore until the target is dead. “Hey, you big, huge bastard. You want a real target, she’s standing right in front of you, so come at me!”

Ashley looked at Eva. “Eva, what are you doing! Don’t charge the damn thing!”

“Damn it!” Sylvia extended her hand. Using as much energy as she could spare, she cast three illusions of Eva running along side her. Whatever means the creature used to see them seemed to cause it to focus on them, and it tried to snap them up one at a time.

Eva rushed the giant, three headed monster and jumped, punching one of the heads and causing it to bump into the other head. “COME HERE YOU!” Eva jumped on top of the third head. “Eat my rifle, you bitch!” Eva fired every single bit of energy into it, causing it to howl in pain.

“Damn Eva, guess I have no choice.” Ashley gathered enough energy to launch a huge mind fray at the three headed beast, confusing it.

Arturo looked on, shaking his head. “Damn, nothing seems to be working. How do we kill this thing... wait.” Arturo shots the ceiling revealing a bunch a wires. “Great, now to find the main wire. Let me test something! Eva get off that thing!”

As the others fired at the creature from behind cover, Airi dragged Marina over to Ashley. Through clenched teeth, the support said, “A-Ashley, I… I need you to pop my arm back into its socket.”

“Very well, give me your arm.” Ashley started to pull Marina arm until she heard a popping sound, the young support screaming out in pain. “There, your arm should be back to normal, but just in case, this should help with the pain.” Ashley sprayed one of her medkits on Marina shoulder. “There, that should help with the pain, and here’s a combat stim for you. This should help you out even, if it’s just a little.”

Marina nodded in appreciation, slowly standing up, despite Airi trying to keep her down. “R-right… b-back to work.”

One of the creatures heads turned its attention on Eva, and charged towards her. Its stomach suddenly lurched, and the head dipped to the side, biting into the other head’s neck. The entire creature shaked in pain, and Eva was thrown off.

“What the fuck, is going on with this thing?”

“Eva, to me, now!” Arturo ordered. “Listen Eva, I want to test something. I wanna see if this thing can sense energy like Ashley, and since you have some sort of energy channeling, do you think you can get it’s attention by doing your thing?”

“Boy, can I?” But I’m already at level one. Maybe I can tap into level zero just a little bit. Just two percent of it. Not all, but just a little. Eva started to channel her energy, and a little bit of the top of her head turned black.

All three heads turned to Eva and charged for her, flying past a stunned Burton and nearly snapping Eva into pieces, a quick dive behind one of the cells saving her.

“Holy shit, that was too close for comfort. Well, LT, you’re right. This thing is attracted to energy. Is there a point to this?”

“Yes, if this thing is attracted to energy, then maybe we can trick it. But we need something to take it down. Maybe an electric shock, but I need a live wire. Just keep it distracted. You, Ashley, and Sylvia should do.”

“I-I’ll do my best,” Sylvia said. “Just… starting to run dry.” She extended her hand, and three illusions of herself appeared before the creature, jumping up and down to get its attention. Ashley gathered energy and used her mind fray to confuse the beast.

Arturo kept shooting the ceiling to get some wires to fall. “Come one, you damn thing. Fall, wires, fall.” Finally, he got through the ceiling, and plenty of wires started to fall. “Great. Eva, I need you to get behind this pile of wires. When the thing lunges at you, it will bite the wires, and it should electrocute this thing. I’m not sure if it will stop it’s heart or just piss it off, though.

“Great, just great. I’m going on a guess,” Eva mumbled to herself. “But it's better than what we were doing before. So I guess fuck it, why not.” She ran behind the wires, one nice, large on hanging, and channeled some more energy to get the monster attention “Please work.”

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Part Four

The other soldiers ran behind Eva, way behind Alice, and fired at the creature to draw its attention. ‘Looking’ at the genetically-modified soldier, it flung all three heads at her. Eva was struck with the realization that the two outside heads would miss the wires and hit her first. Its stomach suddenly lurched again, and a mouthful of bile burst out of the right mouth. The outside heads slammed into the walls as the middle head clamped down on the wires. As electricity surged through it, the massive amount of power running the base ran through the creature. The lights dimmed for a few moments. Once they came back on, the creature flopped to the ground, blood seeping out of all of its orifices.

“Is it dead?” Letz asked apprehensively.

“Well if it is, I’m going to get my android friend out of it’s stomach,” Eva replied.

“Eva that’s a terrible idea. Look, we’ll blast it’s stomach and see if your friend is alive when we can.” suggested Arturo. “But I doubt…”

The creatures stomach lurched again, and everyone took a step back, raising their weapons. The stomach continued to move, but the heads were still. After a few minutes, it started to glow red, and a moment later, a beam of pulse energy ripped through it.

Erupting for the gaping hole, Alice slowly lurched out. Airi, Marina, Ashley, and Eva ran to her. Airi moved to hug her, but jumped back suddenly, the steam rising from the android a warning not to touch her. The creature’s stomach acid had eaten through her cloths and large chucks of her artificial skin, and she twitched every so often, the fat in the creature's belly the only thing having stopped her from being fried along with it. “I… need a… vacation…”

“Don’t we all, especially after this mission.” Eva looks back at the monster “Well, if it wasn't dead before, it’s dead now.”

“Well then people, we still have a job to do,” Arturo decided. “Let’s go find our Ethereal friend.”

“Um…” Alice raised her hand, stomach acid dripping to the floor and sizzling. “Can I… t-take the rest of the day off? I’m low on power… and clothes… a-and skin…” The android coughed up a mouthful of the milky white fluid that made up her blood. “I-if… it is okay…”

Arturo looked at Alice, deciding she’d seen better days.”Very well, you're dismissed, go back to big sky and wait for us. Do you have enough power to make it back to the ship?”

“I-I’ll be good.” Alice tried smiling, but her malfunctioning face wouldn’t allow it. As she rushed back towards the side of the room, going to one of the air ducts and crawling through, the main way back still blocked.

The team cautiously walked around the dead creature, all of them still wary of it . A the walked into the main Command, a trio of Muton Elites rushed behind cover as a voice rang out in everyone’s head.

You! What are you doing here? Where is my Kerberant? WHY ARE YOU NOT ALL DEAD!?

“We killed that monster, and the rest of your forces,” answered Arturo. “Now we've come for you. Surrender, and we might take you in.”

“Or we’re just going to down right kill you. So yeah, you can get on your knees and beg,” Said Eva arrogantly.

Ashley sensed the Ethereal’s energy. Well, it looks like this thing is at the a similar level of energy as the one on the base. but we did take out it’s monster and everyone else, so we might have an advantage here.

How dare you… I will destroy you! Kill them! Kill them all! Make them suffer!

The Muton Elites opened fire, their aim superior than the previous aliens. A glancing blow hit Airi’s arm, and Marina tried to defend her sister, but her injury made her miss by a long shot.

Sylvia reached out to send an illusion to the Elites, but the images vanished almost immediately. “I… I don’t… I thought I had some power left. Something is draining my energy!”

Ashley tried to throw a mind fray, but it vanished in her hand. “What’s going on with my energy. I know I have some more left. How am I being drained a well?!”

Eva fired at the Mutons moving towards the sisters. “Hey, you two are going to be okay? Did something happen to you?”

A sinister laugh rang out through their heads. Your energy is mine! And now, I will use it to… A combined effort from Burton and Arturo took out one of the Elites. Must… must I do everything?!

From the back of the room, three purple tendrils of energy shot forward, as Gula attempted to mind control Ashley, Sylvia, and Burton. The first resisted it thanks to her mind shield, but the other two turned to aim their weapons at their allies.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Part Five

“The fuck are you two doing?” Ashley said, charging Sylvia and putting her hand on Sylvia head. “I’m not sure I have the energy, but I’m sorry about this. Maybe I can muster my energy to talk to her in her mind, not sure if it will work though.: Ashley tries to enter sylvia mind. “Dammit it’s not working.”

Eva rushed towards the two mind controlled soldiers, Burton in particular. “Eat this, dumb ass.” Eva balled her fist and punched Burton in his head, sending him flying. There, that takes you out of the picture. Now, as for that Ethereal... Hmm, well, lets try to gain it’s attention. “Hey ugly, right here, your draining ability is not effecting me, you should be scared.”

Ugly?! Why, you… I’ll… what? I can sense… why can’t I drain your energy?

Sylvia started to blink as Gula’s attention was pulled away. “Keep it up!” Airi shouted, pulling out a few alien grenades she had taken from the engineer bay. She tossed one at an Elite behind cover, another in the direction she hoped it would run. She was right, and the alien collapsed in pain. Marina took a shot, and took it down.

Eva continued to look towards the Ethereal. “What’s the matter, freak? Can’t drain my energy? Are you terrified? Good, because your monster ate my friend, and now I’m going to beat the ever living shit out of you. So brace yourself!” Eva charged the ethereal holding a psi grenade behind her back.

T… Terrified! The tables and equipment around the Ethereal floated into the air. I… am not… scared… of a human! Stepping out from his hiding spot, he thrust the equipment forward. Everyone dodged it, save for Marina, taking a glancing blow that knocked her out, and the final Muton Elite, that got the sharp corner of a large table in the back of its head for its trouble.

Forming an psi lance in each hand, it shot them forward, hitting both SHIVs with two, Arturo dodging the third, and the fourth hitting Eva in the side. As she fell to one knee, the Ethereal floated over her, raising its hand to use its telekinesis on her.

Why… would I fear… you?

Because you are a fool, you dumbass. Eva pulled the pin off the psi grenade and gently roles it in front of the ethereal blinding him with the explosion. The energy from the modified grenade overloaded the various energy signatures he had stolen from others, and he flailed his arms wildly.

NO! You… you blasted… I’ll kill you! I’ll make you suffer. You… you can’t do this to me! I am… one of the chosen...

As the Ethereal’s senses finally came back to, it scanned the room to get its bearings. It stared down the barrels of several weapons.

Oh… oh…

“I told you you were a fool.” Eva said. “Now you're mine, you bastard.” Eva punched the Ethereal in the stomach bending it down to her level. “ That was for my android friend, and this is for every one that you have tortured.” Eva delivered an uppercut to the Ethereal, grabbing its robes so it didn’t fall back, pulling the Ethereal down to her level again and punching it, over and over again. “Now, this is for draining my friends.” Eva delivered a headbutt to the Ethereals helmet. “Tell me, Ethereal. Bet it’s not fun being the getting beaten and tortured. Does it hurt?”

Gula staggered, its shriveled body unable to handle the beating.

I… will… destroy…

Gula suddenly raised his hand, a razor sharp shard of glass floating in the air. The Ethereal’s hand evaporated in a flash of pulse energy, and it reeled in agony. Airi stepped to Eva’s side. “That one… was for Terry…” She turned to Arturo. “We don’t need two of these things, do we?” She asked angrily.

“No. No, we don’t. Everybody get ready.” The X-COM forces lifted their weapons at the Ethereal. “Aim.”

“Wait,” Ashley said. “Give me one second with it.” Ashley approaches the Ethereal and kicks it in it’s jaw. “Now we can shoot it. Any last words? Other than ‘fuck you humans’?”

I… wait! Wait, I can… I can help you! I have information. I can help you take down the alien forces! I never… I only did as I was told!

Airi scoffed. “Coward…”

Arturo looks at the Ethereal. “Well, we already have an Ethereal that gives us information. So open fire.”

Wait, no!

The soldiers opened fire on the Ethereal, leaving a bloody, bullet hole filled, pile of meat left. “Well, that was easier than I thought.” Eva said “Nice work LT.”

Arturo looks around, and shook his “Good work... everybody. We… we will gather the dead and send them back to their homes.”

“What we can get back…” Airi glared at the dead Ethereal, angry at how little its death made her feel better, and lifting her sister as she was sickened by the thought of her friend in that monster’s belly.

Eva walked towards Airi. “Give me your sister. I’m in a much better condition than you., Plus...” Eva looked at Burton. “I’d rather not lift the man I knocked out, and sent flying a good four feet.”

Airi handed her over as Letz grabbed Burton. As the soldier headed back to find a way to the plane, Arturo grabbed Gula’s helmet, leaving the battered body for the clean up crew.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
X-COM Mission Parameters
Mini-Mission

Operation Celestial Liberation
Manhattan Island, New York City, New York

Date: September 19th, 2018
Time: 1000 Hours

Briefing:
Our Hyperwave Relay has detected what appears to be another of the Seven Ethereal Commanders in a large ship landing in North America. The Commander has decided to leave this mission up to Central Officer Brea's discretion. Assigned soldiers are to report to the hanger immediately.

Soldiers for this Mission:

Colonel Aya Brea, along with fifteen other soldiers and four SHIVs.

Details:

Mission will take place in and outside a large UFO resembling a Supply Barge.

Aliens:

Unknown alien types and numbers, but based on the energy readings, it is believed one of the Seven is on this ship.

Requirements for Completion:
The death or capture of the Ethereal

Civilians:

Evacuated.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Celestial Liberation

Aya starred at the hologlobe, completely lost in thought. Morrigan stood at her side, studying her worried expression and waiting to be noticed. When that didn't happen, she nudged the Central Officer in the side. "Penny for your thoughts?"

Aya shook her head. "Sorry, I was just... thinking. Ever since that last mission, I can't shake the feeling that something is off."

Morrigan nodded. "Alright. Maybe if you said what was bothering you out loud..."

Aya closed her eyes, gathering her thoughts. "The... the first time we attacked an Ethereal base, I can see it. But surely they must have seen us as a threat after that, especially if Gula was weaker then Luxuria. But they had nearly a day to react, and no one came to his aid. If the Ethereals really are so... together in this..."

"Perhaps they simply thought the superior numbers, and that giant alien, would be enough to defend him," Morrigan offered.

"Maybe." Aya shook her head. "But the barracks were so empty."

"Empty?" Morrigan laughed.

The picture of seriousness, Aya said, "I'm not trying to take away from how hard it was for our people. But the barracks on that base were huge. Maybe... twice as big as they would have been with that many alien soldiers."

Morrigan rubbed her chin. "So... what do they have up their sleeves?"

"I don't know," Aya practically whispered.

As if on cue, the sirens went off. "We've detected a high psionic reading!" shouted one of the computer techs. "It looks like it's another one of the seven!"

"Where?" Morrigan rushed forward. "Europe? Africa?"

"The... the United States, sir." The tech pointed to the hologlobe. "They're on a massive ship landing in New York City."

Aya shook her head. "No... no, something is wrong."

"Regardless, we can't ignore this. You'll take this one. This reading is far higher then the last two. And you'll be taking Atka and Des..."

"No." Aya grasped Morrigan's shoulder. "Something is wrong here. And if it is what I think it is, we can't put the three top psions all at risk." She took a deep breath. "I... need you to trust me on this."

Morrigan slowly nodded. "I... I will. But... be careful. Assemble your team. We need you over there before they cause any more damage."

Stepping into engineering, Aya rushed to the back. "Sunny, how quickly can you implement Dr. Anderson's weapon upgrades to the SHIVs?"

Sunny looked at the machines in question. "I've already started doing it with Bandersnatch and Jubjub. The two of them can be ready in... a-about ten minutes, if need be. But they haven't been field tested."

"They're about to be." Aya ran off. "Have all four SHIVs in the hanger in fifteen," she called behind her.

"All four?" Sunny called back, but Aya was already gone.

"Where are the X-rays?"

Eve's eyes widened. "But... no, you... you told me never to..."

"Unless we absolutely had to. Well, I might need to now."

Eve rapidly shook her head. "No. No, you can't, you promised..."

Aya clenched her fists. "Eve, I don't have time for this. Show them to me."

Eve shuddered a bit. "I... I can't, I..."

"Now!"

Eve jumped at the sound of her sister yelling at her. Finally, she walked over to her bed. Pulling out a box from underneath, she dug through it until she found a flashdrive. She handed it to Aya without another word.

As the dropship lifted off, Aya spoke into her earpiece. "You're sure you can handle all three of them?"

"Well, yeah, but," Alice said on the other end. "Did the Commander really say you could..."

"She gave me full discretion. But please check with her, both for your piece of mind, and hers."

"Okay, I... I'll have them prepped to leave ASAP. They shouldn't be more then a half an hour behind you, and with the speed they fly..."

"Thanks, Alice. I owe you one."

Approaching Manhattan, Aya looked through the screen displaying the outside of the ship. Spotting the Saint Thomas Church, she closed her eyes, troubling memories she had no time for flooding forth. As they neared the drop sight, one of the soldiers let out a long whistle. "Damn, these aliens like to travel in style. Look at the size of that thing. Think it's some kinda battleship?"

"Maybe some kind of... Ethereal limo."

"Or maybe it's..."

"It's a supply barge," Aya interrupted, all heads turning towards her. "It's been hastily modified to look like something else, but if you keep an image of their supply ships in the back of your mind, you'll see it."

"Hey, she's right... I think."

"But, that doesn't make sense. Why would one of the Ethereal leaders ride around in a cargo ship?"

"There is no Ethereal on that ship," Aya answered. "Or, if there is, it isn't one of the seven. Whatever we're reading, it's fake."

"So, this is a trap? Then why are we walking right into it?"

Aya shook her head, and slowly pulled out her knife. "Because they thought of everything, including what would happen if we figured out it was a trap. The American military is still recovering from Gula's influence and their fights with EXALT, our interceptors are still being repaired after the fight with Gula's ships, and New York city is still recovering from the mess caused by EXALT being here, and our fight with them. We are the only ones who can fight them right now, and they know it, because if we don't, you can kiss Manhattan goodbye."

As Aya suddenly started to digging into her right arm with the knife, the entire cabin was taken aback. "What the he'll are you doing?!" Aya ignored them, and eventually dug out what looked like an over-sized micro chip. "What... is that?"

"Inhibitor. Keeps my powers in check." Aya placed it in her pocket as her arm rapidly healed. "For my own protection, and the protection of those around me. I had it put in years ago, but... I'm gonna need those abilities."

"Why do I get the feeling none of us are coming back?"

Aya shook her head. "I'm not having a repeat of the Indian Base." She pulled out a Beretta 92, emptying the magazine. She picked up one of the rounds, charging it with energy before placing it back in the magazine. "I'm getting as many of you through this as possible, or I'll die trying."

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
As the ship made its final approach, the alien craft was eerily quiet. "ETA, one minute," Alice said over Aya's comm.

"Time to stir the hornet nest."

Making as if to land, the dropship suddenly pulled away as three salvaged alien attack crafts flew in, opening fire on the larger ship. The ship came to life, dozens of Floaters and Heavy Floaters flying out and striking back at their attackers as a large fusion cannon taken straight from a battle ship took aim, immediately blowing one of the ships out of the air.

Piloting the crafts remotely, Alice sent one after the cannon while the other focused on taking out the airborne enemies, starting with the four Cyberdiscs that floated out. The first tried its best, but was distracted by enemy fire, and was hit with a glancing shot by the fusion cannon. Too damaged to fly, it turned to the offending weapon, and crashed into, taking them both out. Meanwhile, the other ship was able to take out most of the flyers before its shields were over-loaded, and it was shot down as well.

The soldiers piled out of the dropship while the aliens were distracted, everyone getting off, save for one, before the ship took off again. "Light 'em up! We need to distract them so she has a chance!" The soldiers ran into cover, blasting away floater after floater, the ship's cargo doors opening to reveal a packed hold, filled with Sectoids, Thin Men, Mutons, and Berserkers.

The dropship flew over the alien supply barge, the Floaters ignoring what looked like a fleeing non-combatant. Half way past it, Aya leaped off Big Sky, slamming hard into the hard metal. Taking a minute to catch her breath and let her abilities pop her shoulder back into place, she ran across the ship's top. A single Floater, strangling behind for some reason, rocketed toward her and fired. Reflexively lifting her hand, a quick shield deflected the plasma shot. She pulled her sidearm and fired back, the energy-charged 9mm punching a large hole through the mutilated alien's abdomen.

Fourteen.

As she continued running, Aya slipped on a pair of special fire-proof gloves, the X-COM logo on the back of each. She peaked down the ships open midsection. Taking a deep breath, she jumped down, immediately grabbing the arm of a surprised Thin Man and flipping it over her shoulder. She extended her hand and ignited it just as it flew over a trio of Sectoids. The bulbous headed aliens incapacitated by the poison, Aya quickly fired her pulse rifle, taking down a pair of Mutons with headshots as they lifted their weapons. Firing a third shot at a charging Berserker's knee, she leaped over it as it stumbled. She dropped the rifle and pulled out her Beretta, blasting a hole in the back of it's armor.

Thirteen.

Charging energy in her right hand and forming a fire ball in her left, Aya blasted the Sectoids away, and held her left hand against the hole in Berserker's armor, turning the armor into an oven. With no time to rest, she retrieved her pulse rifle, reloaded, and continued through the ship.

Three Mutons burst out one of the side doors, and a Mectoid accompanied by two Sectoids emerged from another. Thinking fast, Aya noted the alien grenade in the hand of one of the Mutons. Charging the hulking aliens, they were thrown off as they adjusted their aim. Aya flung her knife forward, hitting the center Muton in the head. The toss wasn't hard enough to pierce the skull, but it was enough to distract it as Aya leaped over it, hitting the grenade's activator as she went and throwing up a shield. The barrier was just enough to protect her from the blast. Woozy from the rapid energy drain, she was saved from the Mectoid's attack by the bodies of the dead or injured Mutons. She jumped over them, firing three times with her handgun, exploding the heads of the Sectoids and knocking back the mechanized enemy. Yanking her knife from the Muton's head, Aya ran towards the aiming alien MEC, firing another shot that took off its helmet. Before it could regain its balance, she jumped on it, driving the knife into its exposed head.

Nine.

At the sound of energy charging, Aya jumped away, just in time not to be obliterated by the Sectopod along with the Mectoid. Rushing into one of the side rooms for cover, she ducked out to test a shot on the huge robot. She noted the damage it caused before diving back inside to avoid the missile barrage. Closing her eyes, she channeled energy into her left arm, forming an orb of power that grew and grew as the Sectopod's stomping footsteps approached.

She ran out when the machine was only ten feet away, firing six shots in a circular pattern. Bringing her hands together, she let loose a powerful beam of energy, punching through the Sectopod's armor and frying it from the inside. Aya collapsed to the ground, gasping a wheezing.

Two shot... left... burning through... my energy... faster then... I hoped... might... have to...

She shook her head, and found her plasma rifle again. Once she had enough energy to move again, she ran down the corridor. Not wanting to give the aliens inside any more time to prepare, she burst into the Bridge, firing off the last two shots of the handgun into the chest and head of a Muton Elite. Facing two more Elites, an Outsider, a Sectoid Commander, and...

Damn! There
is an Ethereal here!

...Aya dropped the spent sidearm and rolled behind one of the computers. The Ethereal extended its hand, firing a tendril of violet energy over the computer into Aya. Before Aya's eyes, horrid memories rushed in front of her. A bright, clear, December morning. A church. The man she loved. Masks. Guns. A wedding gown, covered in blood. She screamed as the Sectoid Commander ran around the corner, and a look of pure rage burst the alien in flames. As it screeched in pain and fell to the side, Aya quickly raised over the computer. Time seemed to slow down, as Aya knew she'd only have one shot, and took aim at the Ethereal.

Even if I just kill him, my death with be worth it.

Aya fired her pulse rifle. The Ethereal extended its hand towards the Outsider, and it flew into the path of the blast. Before Aya could duck back down, the Ethereal extend another hand, and lifted Aya into the air with telekinesis, the blond soldier clawing at hands that weren't physically wrapped around her throat.

An impressive show of force. But all for nothing. I shall kill you, and then all of your teammates. Aya quickly reached down and pulled out her knife. The Ethereal laughed in her mind. What do you plan to do with that? Can't you just except your fight and die with some dignity?

With a grin, Aya dove the knife into and through her left arm, another micro-chip on the end of the knife. A burst of energy erupted from Aya, driving back the Ethereal's telekinetic force. Aya floated to the ground, and the knife evaporated from her arm. Carefully pulling off one of her gloves, she reached for the other, but it melted away. "Damn... I liked those gloves..."

You! What... what are you?!

Aya sighed as her skin took on a distinctive blueish-green tint, her clothes burning away. "You know, this'll only be the third time I've had to do this. Last time, I almost couldn't come back. Probably won't be able to this time. Too bad. I only hope my soldiers do as they were told." Aya's eyes turned bright yellow as she levitated into the air. Her body radiated energy, and her fingers extended into claws. A pair of appendages extended from the back of her arms, just above her elbows. The ends brushed out, making them resemble wings.

What... what are you doing?! Kill her!

The Muton Elites raised their weapons. Aya suddenly flew to the sides with blinding speed. She flew up to one of the Elites and chopped down, knocking off the lower half of its arms with incredible force. Leaving it to bleed out, Aya flew to the other Elite, and caved in its head with a solid punch. She slowly turned to the Ethereal, the alien slowly backing away, and let out a piercing, primal scream.

"Don't let up!" Fedor shouted. "Supports and Medics, make sure everyone is healed! Snipers, aim for the back of the ranks. And don't let them take down the last SHIV! I..." He stopped as the aliens all seemed to turn and fire into the ship. Rushing back inside, the fire seemed to cease a few minutes later, replaced by the sounds of screeching Thin Men and howling Mutons.

After another minute, Aya slowly floated out, the blood splatter covering her body slowly evaporating away. In her right hand was the Ethereal's mask, the dripping from under it saying it wasn't empty. She let out another shrill scream as she dropped the Mask, and rushed towards the soldiers. One of the soldiers pulled out a handgun, as well as a bullet with a clear tip, filled with a red fluid. With a nod from Fedor, he loaded the bullet, and took aim.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
X-COM Mission Parameters
UFO Crash Mission

Operation Darkest Night
Locaion:
Forest of Fontainebleau, France

Date: September 22nd, 2018
Time: 1500 Hours

Briefing:
We have reports of a UFO crash in the forest of Fontainebleau, sixty kilometers southeast from Paris, France. As of yet, we have been unable to determine why the ship crashed. It was not shot down by us, and neither France nor its neighboring countries are claiming responsibility. It is possible that this was the result of a malfunction of some kind, though considering the alien tech, it seems unlikely.

Reports additionally indicate a second UFO approaching the area, possibly the first example of a rescue mission we have seen. The crashed UFO does show signs of containing an Ethereal. However, there is something off about it. Before we lost our fix on it, it seemed to be in an odd state of flux, at one point being stronger than Superbia, at another weaker than any other Ethereal encountered so far.

Regardless, we have a job to do. Head to the sight, and take out those aliens, especially the Ethereal, before they can be rescued. In the interest of making sure they don’t escape, we’ve included two Rocketeers on the team.

Number of soldiers for this mission:
Ten (10) Soldiers, accompanied by two (2) Hover SHIVs

Soldier Names:

LT 3 (TSGT) Papadoupolous, Fedor (Shogun) [MEC]*
SGT Lovikov, Randall (Scout) [Aerobic Respiration Boost]
SGT Martinez, Sergio (Sniper) (Blue Psionic)
SGT Stewart, Jamie (Assault) (Red Psionic)
SGT Beckett, Maggie (Infantry) [Hyper-Reactive Pupils]
SGT Andre, Adele (Engineer) [Bioelectric Skin]
SGT Driver, Karen (Medic) [Adaptive Bone Marrow]
SGT Temple, Sharron (Rocketeer) [Muscle Fiber Density, Depth Perception]
SGT Modya Dragomirov (Rocketeer) [Muscle Fiber Density, Magnified Bicep Structure, Adaptive Bone Marrow]
TSGT Kasagi, Ayame (Gunner) [Hyper Reactive Pupils, Bioelectric Skin, Muscle Fiber Density, Aerobic Respiration Boost, Neural Dampening]
Hover S.H.I.V. Unit 1: "Jabberwock"
Hover S.H.I.V. Unit 2: "Jubjub"

*Squad Leader

Gear: Players' characters' will be equipped with the following supplies:

- Primary weapon: Either a Pulse Stengun, a Pulse Carbine, a Pulse Rifle, a Heavy Pulse Rifle (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Scatter Blaster (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Pulse Sniper Rifle (Sniper), a Blaster Rifle (Scout, Sniper), a Pulse Autoblaster (Gunner, Heavy), or a Gatling Pulser (Gunner, Heavy)

(Recoilless Rifle for Heavies and Rocketeers, Pulse Lance for MECs, Superheavy Pulser for SHIVs)

- Armor: Kestrel Armor, Carapace Armor, Banshee Armor, or Aegis Armor (Four Shadow Armors also available)

- Secondary Weapon: Either a Laser Pistol, a Blaster, or a Hand Scatter Plasma Blaster (H.S.P.B.)

- Equipment: Two (2) of the following; a medikit, combat stims, alloy plating, reinforced armor, chitin plating, a battle scanner, an AP grenade, an alien grenade, a psi grenade, a smoke grenade, a chem grenade, a ghost grenade, a high-capacity magazine, a targeting module, a mind shield, or an Arc Thrower.

Details:
The forest is home to thousands of species of animals. However, most of these are insects, and none of the other wildlife should be dangerous. Oaks and Scots pine make up 84% of the trees, and aside from those knocked down by the crash, they should make for decent cover without being too dense to allow you to be snuck up on easily.

The second UFO will have landed within one hundred yards of the crashed one. Upon approaching it, you’ll find the intact ship’s occupants firing upon the crashed vessel. This could be a trick, or there could be unknown civilians or even French soldiers fighting within.

The Ethereal will be located outside of the ship, and virtually alone. This will be a prime chance to take it out while its defenses are down.

Enemies:
One unit containing three (3) Thin Men
Two units containing two (2) Floaters and one (1) Heavy Floater
One unit containing three (3) Mutons
One unit containing two (2) Mutons and one (1) Berserker
One unit containing one (1) Mechtoid and two (2) Sectoids
One unit containing one (1) Outsider and one (1) Sectoid Commander
One Unit containing one (1) Muton Elite, one (1) Thin Man, one (1) Ethereal, and one (1) alien of an unknown race.

Elimination of the Ethereal, and the elimination or forced retreat of all other aliens.

Civilians:
Reports of campers in the area. Hopefully, they’ll stay clear of the UFO, but keep an eye out.

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: Operation Darkest Night, Part 1

Operation Darkest Night
X-COM Big Sky Dropship
Somewhere over Germany, on route to France
1345 Hours

As seemed to become habit, the soldiers casually talked about what they felt the mission would be like, with the exception of Fedor, going over some maps of the mission area, and Sergio, silently cleaning his pulse sniper rifle as Jamie prattled on about something he was only vaguely listening to.

Ayame rocked nervously in her seat, her expression hard to read, as she was either worried, or excited. She smiled at Modya. “Been a while, huh? Not since India.”

The Russian nodded. “As terrifying as battle can be, I have regretted being absent from the field for so long. Everyone is getting to blow up more things than me.” Modya chuckled.

Ayame’s eyes darted towards Sharron, and she grinned. “You have some competition on this one. You plan on keeping score?”

“Perhaps,” Modya stated with a smile at his friend.

The Israeli shook her head. “You and your contests...though I will do my best to win.”

“Well, I’ll be bagging that Ethereal,” Ayame insisted, her grin widening. “I hope it’s the one that messed with Atka, but even if it isn’t, it’s my turn to take one out. Might not have the fancy mind powers, but if Eva can stand up to one with her augmentations, so can I.”

“I doubt it’s Invidia, but I’m sure we can handle one idiot dumb enough to crash his own ship,” Adele decided confidently.

Jamie laughed. “Yeah, what a dumbass! Which is more embarrassing? Crashing your own ship, or being a big tough alien lord that gets shot down by some random military?”

“What about EXALT?” Randell asked.

“Doubt it,” Fedor answered. “They’d normally be swarming all over the place if that was the case.”

“Maybe it’s the ‘horsemen’,” Modya suggested. “They have aided us in the past.”

“Pft.” Ayame waved her hand dismissively. “It’s a trick. They want us to drop our guard because we think they’re nice, and BAM! Stab us in the back. I’ve seen this ploy before, and I ain’t falling for it.”

“They shot down a bunch of alien fighters, have spoken with some of our officers before, spared Alice, and Ogedei seems to recognize the one in black armor as one of the last free Balmadaar,” Sharron countered. “That’s a pretty difficult and costly ploy…”

“I… you have a point, I guess.” Ayame folded her arms. “But it isn’t like the aliens are the type to worry about sacrificing their own kind to try and trick us.”

“True,” Sergio spoke up for the first time. “But that doesn’t mean it still was a big price for the chance that we would trust them. Maybe you should be more open minded…”

Ayame pouted a little, and looked around for anyone that might agree with her. “Seriously… all of you are buying this?”

Maggie looked up from her notebook, having drawn a basic sketch of what the interior for the large ships usually looked like. “I’m willing to wait and see. It’s the Commander’s call, anyway.”

Ayame let out a harumph and concentrated on cleaning her weapon. “Probably… wasn’t even them anyway…” she muttered, then fell silent.

Forest of Fontainebleau
1400 Hours

Fedor stepped out of the ship, partially as the leader, partially as the one with the body that could take the most damage. “Alright people, fan out a bit, but stay within running distance. This forest isn’t that dense, but that doesn’t mean they can’t sneak up on us. The UFOs are the the northwest. Let’s bag us an Ethereal.”

He rushed to a thick tree, the only one big enough to offer him something resembling cover. The rest of the team followed suit. As they slowly moved forward, Ayame leaned over the remnants of a camp, placing her hands over the remnants of a fire. “Hmm… doubt they were attacked. Must have ran for the hills without bothering to put this out. I’d knock ‘em one for Smokey Bear, but under the circumstances, I don’t blame them…”

“Better for us, then,” Modya affirmed. “Could complicate things if we had to watch our fire...especially with two rocketeers.”

At the sound of jet fire, the squad members stepped into cover, Ayame jumping into the tent to hide. Damn, this was stupid. Overhead, two Heavy Floaters, each with a pair of regular Floaters, flew up, scouting the area. Noting the dropship in the distance, they headed towards it, half moving to the left, the other to the right.

“Modya, Sharron.” Fedor spoke over the comms. “You think you can get a rocket off on them before they notice us?”

Modya glanced at where Sharron was. “If I throw down some suppression fire, then that’ll distract them while she can get off a rocket. Sound good, sir?”

“Sounds good,” Fedor answered. “Ayame, unload on the west group, Modya on the east. Sharron, fire at which ever one gives you the better shot.”

“Got it.” Ayame jumped from her tent. Using her enhanced legs, she leaped forward, easily making it to a nearby tree. Why didn’t I do this in the first place? She watched Modya line up his shot, and unleashed hell on the Floaters, peppering them with pulse lasers that were too scattered and too far away to do real damage, even with the HEAT rounds, but would make it hard for them to move.

Modya did the same with his heavy pulse rifle, while Sharron took the shot at Ayame’s group, satisfied with them being pinned by the spray. The gauss rocket exploded on contact with the Heavy Floater, practically melting off its armor, and leaving it a grotesque head and torso. The other two were consumed in the blast.

The second group fared better. While the Heavy Floater was pinned, the other two started to advance in their typical mad charge. It took aim at Jamie, pinning her down as the other Floaters circled to the side for a dual flank. It suddenly clenched its head, Sergio’s mind fray hitting home. Free from her suppressor, Jamie turned to one of the floaters and held out her hand, a large tree branch suddenly moving in its way and flooring it. She turned to face the other floater, and saw it was much closer than she thought it would be. “Shit… probably should have ran for better cover…”

A series of shots from a regular pulse rifle fried the mind-frayed flier, sending it crashing into the ground beside Jamie. “Sorry, I was lining up a series of shots,” Maggie explained after killing the regular Floater, turning to aim at the last enemy: the second Heavy Floater.

Ayame ducked behind cover, having to free the injured heavy to reload. It let out a satisfied growl, ready to rejoin the fight, and turned to find a good target. What it found was a pair of hover machines. It had enough time to give something resembling a disappointed sigh before the SHIVs disintegrated it.

Modya and the others took the opportunity to calm their nerves and reload, before looking to Fedor. “Shall we move on?” the Russian asked.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: Operation Darkest Night, Part Two

Fedor nodded. “Keep on your guard. They likely know we’re here now.” He looked around for a few moments, trying to get his bearings. “Alright. Modya, take Ayame, Jamie, Maggie, and Karen. Take one of the SHIVs and head to the east a bit, then continue towards the ships. The rest of you, follow me to the west. Let’s try and hit them from both sides. We don’t know how many of the first ship’s crew survived, and thus we don’t know if we’ll be severely outnumbered. We need every advantage we can get.”

“Understood, sir,” Modya replied, and began taking a path around the east side of the engagement zone towards the ships.

As the unit made it through the forest, Jamie held up her hand. “Sounds like Thin Men up ahead. Ideas? With their agility, they might have the advantage in the trees.”

“Ayame could even the playing field, while our rocketeers could blow up the rest of the treeline,” Maggie suggested.

Ayame nodded, and looked above her as the others ran forward. Finding a sturdy looking branch, she leaped up, and hopped for branch to branch. Spotting the Thin Men, she quickly spoke into her comms. “Modya, they aren’t alone. They have someone with them. I can’t see them well, but it might be a civy.”

“We...can’t use rockets then. I’m not sure how we could save them though…” the Russian thought, tapping his forehead.

“What if I created a distraction?” Jamie asked, lifting her hand to distort the air around it to show what she meant. “If we could lure them away, you could blow them up.”

Modya nodded. “That could work. Do it.”

Jamie reached past the Thin Men, and swiped her hand slowly to the side. The tall aliens quickly looked up at the tree line, the moving bushes and branches making it seem as though someone was moving through the trees. One slowly walked towards the movement, weapon raised. Frowning, Jamie shot out a surge of power, and knocked over a large log with a loud thud. The Thin Man ran back to his comrades, and all three ran for cover.

Leaping out of the tree, Ayame fired as she fell, pinning the Thin Men down. “Light ‘em up, Modya!” she yelled in excitement.

The Russian smiled slightly, and stepped around the tree, launching a rocket with a faint trail of light blue air distortion following it. It detonated between the three aliens, blasting apart their cover, and killing all three even considering their defense from cover.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Ayame walked up to Modya, nudging him in the arm. “Nice shooting.” She nodded her head towards the individual the Thin Men had been standing over, completely obscured by a cloak. “What do we do with him?”

“...are we sure that’s a civilian?” Maggie said hesitantly. “I think we should ask them to come out first…” she said quietly.

Ayame shrugged, and held her heavy weapon forward. “Yo! Whoever you are. Show your face so we know you aren’t one of them!”

The figure rapidly shook their head. “I… can’t do that,” they said in a feminine voice, the raspy tone implying an injury.

Karen shook her head. “I can’t just stand here…” the medic went forward, kneeling down by the cloak and pulling it off cautiously, a hand on her pistol, just in case.

“No!” Cried the figure, pulling the cloak back over her, though it was down long enough for the unit to see she wasn’t human, her head much too large and light black in color, with two large eyes and several scars.

“Shit!” Ayame cried, raising her weapon. The figure lifted her hand, and the gatling pulser was pulled from Ayame’s hand. It almost immediately fell to the floor, and the figured dropped with it, panting heavily.

“What...what are you?” Modya asked, shock evident on his features. He had his pulse weapon in a carrying position, though he was fighting every instinct to lift it.

“I… I…” The being sighed.

I am a mistake. But I am also an ally, and that is what is important. My comrades are fighting by themselves, and they will surely fall, if they haven’t already. Please, help them. I would, but I used so much energy just healing, I’m… powerless…

“You’re…” Modya nodded slowly, coming to a conclusion.

==========

Two Hours Ago...

"So, why do I get the... short straw, I believe the humans call it." The tall alien tapped his fingers against the instrument panel. "Everyone gets a cool name. Do you know what Famine means? Having no food!"

"Well, you are incredibly skinny by human terms," Conquest responded. "And besides, hunger is no laughing manner."

"Says the one named after victory and triumph," Famine mumbled.

"You forget too soon what it was like to go nearly a week on a single meal a day when our supplies ran low." Death slowly looked up from her terminal. "You were only too happy to stuff your face after that."

"Yeah, yeah." Famine jumped onto War's giant shoulder, watching him work in the specially modified section. "I'm just gonna hang with War here. He listens to me without poking holes in everything I say."

"That is because he has the resolve not to say something that might encourage you," Death said bluntly. War's expression remained as stoic as usual, but she could sense he was holding back a smile.

The ship rattled as the shields were hit, the proximity alarms only now blaring. Famine leaped into his seat. "Cuh uv y pedlr!" he yelled. "Frana dra vilg tet drao lusa vnus?"

"They must have been cloaked with a frequency our sensors aren't familiar with!" Conquest rapidly typed in commands for evasive maneuvers, but the engines where barely responding.

"But how did they find our frequency!?" Famine tried to strengthen the shields, but they were dropping fast. "Tysh ed! I knew I shouldn't have trusted that trader. 'Down with the Adranaymc' my ycc!"

"We need that hyperwave relay anyway." Conquest responded. "Besides, who is to say that he was not loyal until they got their hands on him?"

"We can decide who was to blame when we aren't about to be blown out of the sky!" Death turned to a War. "Weapons?"

"Inoperable."

Death shook her head and turned back to her computer. "Weapons down. Engines failing. Shields failing. Looking for somewhere to land..."

"Or crash," Famine muttered, his terminal sparking as a shot partially pierced the shields.

“There!” Death put in the coordinates. “That forest. Lets just hope we…” her terminal suddenly overloaded, then exploded. As she was thrown to the side, she looked around, the pain making everything move in slow motion. Her allies torn between helping her and getting the ship down, the fires cropping up, and the penetrating blast that tore the part of the ship she was on from the rest.

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

ZombieSplitter53 and DarkGemini24601: Operation Darkest Night, Part Three

Modya raised a hand to the side of his helmet, contacting Fedor. “Lieutenant, I think we just came across Death. The other horsemen might be in that other ship, and in danger. I...I think we should help them.”

[Alright. We’re closing in on the intact ship. If the other ship is the horseman’s, it would explain why the two ships are firing on each other. Circle around to the other ship and we’ll hit them from both sides]

Modya lowered his hand. “Let’s continue circling around...though...Karen, can you guard Death?”

The medic looked between the cloak and Modya. “...alright.” Karen cautiously lifted her pulse rifle, aiming 90 degrees away from the alien with her back to where the Skyranger was, going into overwatch.

Ayame sighed, but said nothing, trusting Fedor and Modya knew what they were doing. As the team rushed forward, they found themselves at the crashed craft, a large hole leading inside. They had a clear view of the three occupants, occasionally taking shots towards the front. At the sound of their approach, the reptilian alien resembling a Thin Man looked back at them. He smiled a creepy looking smile, and muttered, “About time…”

Modya took a deep breath, hoping Ayame was indeed wrong, and faced the other craft, seeing what they were dealing with in regards to enemies. Fedor faced head to head with a Mechtoid while Sharron and Randell took potshots at a pair of Sectoids, preventing them from powering the alien MEC. Five Mutons were shooting at the horseman’s ship while occasionally advancing forward. Adele and JubJub kept a Berserker busy while Sergio tried to set up the perfect shot at it.

The Russian paused, looking over the battlefield, trying to figure out what to do frantically. He came to a decision, though he was unsure of if it was the best. “I’m...going to set up a shredder, and try to catch the Mutons and the Mechtoid in the blast. I’ll need time…”

Maggie nodded. “Ayame, let’s keep those Balmadaar pinned.” She went behind a log, and worked to keep a Muton or two on the left, leaving the others to the Japanese gunner. Sharron did her best to assist in suppression, as well.

“Once he fires the rocket, we can open up…” Sharron offered.

Randell nodded. “We got ‘em on all sides. They won’t… last…” Randell fell silent. After a few moments, he turned his weapon towards Sharron, a faint purple tendril of energy leading from him back to the ship.

Sharron’s eyes widened. “Not...not again…” her hesitation cost her precious seconds before she tried to tackle the scout, leaving herself exposed. A near-point blank shot floored her, and Randell stepped over her, smiling.

“Tysh ed!” Famine rushed forward, right into the middle of open fire. With impressive agility, he leaped over and past the Mutons, Maggie and Ayame the only reason he wasn’t decimated. He stopped behind Randell and thrust his outstretched fingers forward, jabbing the Scout in the back of the neck. As Randell crumpled to the floor, the tall alien knelt down next to Sharron. “Are you badly injured, human?”

The Israeli rocketeer grimaced, feeling her midsection burned slightly. “Hurt...a little bit...but I’ll manage...wish...we’d left someone other than the medic behind...with your boss…” She shakily got to her feet, feeling woozy from the throbbing pain.

“Boss? Oh, you mean…” Famine reached down and lifted Sharron, carrying her to the side. “You better hang back until this is over.” He placed her to the side, and grabbed Randell to do the same.

Despite Maggie and Ayame’s best effort, they couldn’t keep the five Mutons all pinned down long enough to give Modya a shot. War stepped out of covered, lifting three uninjured arms, each with a plasma dragon built into his suit, and joined their fire, flinching slightly as a few plasma shots hit him. “Fire now!” He shouted at the rocketeer.

DarkGemini24601

Modya did not even need to glance War’s way to be in awe of the amount of firepower the massive alien possessed. Satisfied with the shot he had with the recoilless rifle, the Russian let loose. The gauss shredder rocket screamed out of the barrel, colliding with a jutting portion of the wall, and sprayed rail-propelled shrapnel all over the area. The Mechtoid’s body acted as a shield for Fedor while its own armor was torn to tatters, and the Mutons let up on their fire, pain incapacitating a few as the rest of the blast tore into their flesh and suits. The enemy was vulnerable.

“Thank you!” Conquest reach two his side, pulling out what looked like four modified alien grenades. Throwing them forward, they took out three of the Mutons, the other two being downed by Maggie and Ayame.

“Appreciate it, Modya!” Fedor let loose his flamethrower, dowsing the exposed alien MEC and roasting him alive. The Sectoids attempted a prompt retreat, but were quickly shot down. All the was left was a lone Berserker, even with its rage it was still intimidated by all the soldiers advancing towards it.

Modya smiled beneath his mask, even though he was worried about Sharron. He raised his heavy pulse rifle, and fired at the Berserker, tearing a hole in its armor. Maggie followed up with a spray of laser fire that hurt it even more. “I leave this one to you, Ayame.” Modya offered up the battle-crazed alien to the gunner on a silver platter.

Ayame grinned. “Oh, stop. You spoil me.” She let loose, downing the creature with a pain roar.

“Hmm.” Conquest stepped between the X-COM soldiers. “We lost one of ours in the crash.”

Famine motioned towards Sharron. “He… she? She said they left one of theirs to watch her.”

Sharron looked up at the Balmadaar, the dizziness from the pain pushing away any fear of the powerful alien for now. “Yeah, we left Karen... to guard her in case any other enemies showed up…”

The massive War knelt down in front of Sharron, and offered her a pill that was almost too small compared to him for him to carry. “Swallow.”

“Uh...what is it?” Sharron asked nervously, staring up War.

“Will take pain away,” he answered.

Well, we did trust them this far. Sharron took it, and swallowed it before she could have second thoughts.

War nodded, and grabbed her with one massive hand, Randell in another. He nodded to Conquest, and walked back to the remains of their ship.

“He’ll keep them safe in case we missed someone,” Famine explained. He pointed towards the entrance of the second ship, and added, “We still have the Commander, and probably the pilot program.”

Fedor took a step forward. “Then lets finish this.”

The others followed the MEC into the craft, Modya keeping a careful eye out. “I am not so sure it is only a Sectoid Commander...we picked up two readings on par with an Ethereal, didn’t we?”

Conquest walked alongside him. “Those were both from the same Ethereal. Her powers are… unusual, and were likely difficult for your systems to read. As for where she is… you already saw her.”

“I guessed as much...though it is a relief that we only have two left,” Modya explained. “You know, we have a Balmadaar on base that would like to meet you...well, one in particular. I would take a guess that you know about the others we rescued, if it was you who shot down the fighters near that…” the Russian shook his head. “...breeding ship.”

“It was.” As they neared the bridge, Conquest took cover. “It would seem it is you doing the rescuing on this day. When we are done here, we would ask that you offer us the safety of your base. We would normally not want to impose, but I am afraid we have no other options at the moment.”

“Well…” Modya braced on the other side of the door, while the others got into position. “That is a question I will have to ask our leader. Though I know at least one of our officers seems to trust you four. After all the help you’ve offered, I’m sure the Commander wouldn’t leave you out here.” The Russian nodded to Adele, who had a hand over the door panel. “Ready?”

Adele nodded, and the door was opened. The team was immediately met with plasma fire, as the outsider was waiting. It glowed brighter than usual, as if it was tapping directly into the ship’s power, and didn’t let up as the Sectoid Commander peeked over its cover, targeting Modya and Ayame for mind control. Ayame’s Neural Dampening did its job, though not without leaving her with a bit of a headache. “Damn, big-eyed, big-headed asshole. You okay, Modya?”

The rocketeer was slumped against the wall, having managed to get his back to it before the paralysis from the gene mod set in, preventing control. Kill that thing for me… Modya thought, even though Ayame could not hear.

Reading his expression, Ayame gritted her teeth in anger. She closed her eyes, letting her bioelectic skin do its job. Once she was sure she knew where the oversized Sectoid was, she ducked into the room, barely avoiding a shot from the Outsider. She rounded one of the computer and tackled a very surprised alien, basking it in the head with her weapon repeatedly until it stopped twitching, then a few more times for good measure.

Coming to his senses, Modya picked up his heavy rifle again. “At least it did its job…” He took aim at the Outsider. “Adele, do you mind…”

“Way ahead of you, Mods.” The engineer pulled the pin on an alloy grenade, and tossed the anti-personnel explosive onto the charged construct, damaging it. A double shot from Maggie weakened it further, leaving this particular kill to a wide pulse beam from Modya.

Modya lowered his weapon, exhaling from a mixture of fatigue and satisfaction. “That should be the last of them.” He lifted a hand to the side of his helmet. “Central, our allies on the ground here having a request, if you didn’t already hear it…”

“Roger that. Do you think your allies will be able to make it back on the dropship?”

Modya glanced back out of the UFO at the other one where War was in. “We are...going to need a bigger plane.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
X-COM Non-Player Mission Parameters
Rescue Mission

Operation:
Wild Nocturne
Date: September 28th, 2018

Details: X-COM troops were sent in to Berlin to rescue a squad of German soldiers under attack on a collapsing bridge.

Wasting little time, soldiers moved in a two-team formation, combing the bridge as they went and only stopping long enough to help the occasional soldier. After a few close calls with a unit of Seekers and some deceptive tactics by a few Thin Men, something we have seen before and didn't fall for this time, X-COM came to the main bulk of soldiers.

After a short gun-fight with a group of Mutons and Heavy Floaters, all surviving soldiers where moved out of the main battle zone. Rather then continue to fight and risk losing everything to the collapsing bridge, X-COM carefully fell back, using standard overwatch cover tactics to keep any aliens from sniping us in the back.

Arriving back at the dropship, a pair of well timed rocket blasts from our new blaster launchers started a chain reaction to bring down the bridge. Occupied with an attempt to flee to their own ship, most of which likely never making it, Big Sky was able to take off without problem. In the end, we had no casualties, only moderate damage to one of the SHIVs, and eleven recovered German soldiers. Said soldiers will be brought to X-COM, debriefed, treated for then injuries, and sent home.

One important thing to note. Upon arriving back at X-COM, a familiar stowaway was discovered by our alien detector system and our psionic detector system. A brief skirmish occurred, the would-be infiltrator hampered by being outnumbered and trapped in the small confines of the dropship, an arc thrower wielded by one of our neural dampened rocketeers but the alien to bed. Not sure what the lab boys and girls can do with a living alien that is essentially mindless without its master, but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Noted promotions:
Camilo, Victor (Scout) to TSGT
Murphy, Kelly (Sniper) to TSGT
Sutherland, Colin (Assault) to TSGT
Koslov, Maxim (Infantry) to TSGT
Summers, Holly (Engineer) to TSGT
Harnet, John (Support) to TSGT
Brown, Rembrandt (Medic) to TSGT
Yamazaki, Ryan (Gunner) to TSGT
Reston, Jay (Heavy) to TSGT
Jacobs, Scarlet (Rocketeer) to TSGT

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
X-COM Non-Player Mission Parameters
Terror Mission

Operation:
Sealed Cocoon
Date: September 29th, 2018

Details:
X-COM responded to another terror attack in the most populace city in Nigeria. This seemed to be a test by the aliens for new controllable chyssalids, as upon our arrival, our troops were met with a team up between chryssalids and Mutons, fighting side by side.

Luckily for us, it would seem their test was a failure for the most part. a push deeper into the city found no more living Mutons, though we did have to deal with a number of zombiefied Mutons. They were quite troublesome, the Muton's already incredible vitality only exacerbated by them shrugging off damage, but we were able to handle them thanks to their lack of intelligence, as well as take care of any other chryssalids we encountered, whether they be ones from the starts or fresher hatchlings.

Further proof that this was a failed test was a Cyberdisc firing upon a group of cryssalids. X-COM forces let the hovering machine do most of the work before finishing the clean-up, starting with the Cyberdisc.

It took several hours of sweeping and searching, but the city was eventually deemed free of aliens. The citizen death toll was high, but a fraction of the toll in Moscow. A quick by careful collaborative effort, directed by Field Commander Brea and using what we learned in Moscow and Sri Lanka, netted us a soldier loss of zero.

Noted Promotions:

Wayne, Damian (Scout) to TSGT
Lopez, Alicia (Infantry) to TSGT
Grey, Dorian (Medic) to TSGT
Griffith, Nicolas (Medic) to TSGT
Lopez, Steve (Gunner) to TSGT
Smith, Kris (Gunner) to TSGT
Brankino, Pastel (Heavy) to TSGT
Wagner, Christine (Rocketeer) to TSGT

Last edited:

DarkGemini24601

XCOM Non-Player Mission Parameters
UFO Crash-Landing

Operation Fourth Crusade
Date: September 29th, 2018

Details:
A medium-sized UFO we’ve come to know as the ‘raider’ class was sighted over the city of Istanbul, and we did not give it a chance to complete whatever its mission was. A firestorm was dispatched to intercept the UFO, and dealt heavy damage. The aliens were forced to crash-land on the small island south of the city, Imrali Adasi.

With the mission to take down Overseer Avarita so close to being launched, we looked to some of our lower-ranking troops to take the downed raider on. Thankfully, their ranks were bolstered by our new Legion allies, who rendered aide. This should mean it triples as a trust-building exercise, in addition training and safeguarding Turkey. It seemed like an ideal mission for Lieutenant Adolfsson’s first mission as an officer.

The XCOM-Legion squad touched down a little before noon, local time, and moved on the UFO. The aliens had set up a defensive perimeter, but the crew was not specialized for direct combat in particular. The first elven aliens were comprised of two Mutons, an Outsider, three Sectoids, and a Cyberdisc with four drones.

Legion “Destroyer” Vee dealt with the large robots escort with a well-timed rocket, and it was finished off by a shot into its exposed internals. (Credit goes to Sniper Welles, Wade, for the fifth kill of the mission.) The two Mutons posed something of a problem, attempting to lob grenades on the trees the squad was using for cover, but Adolfsson proved herself capable of keeping her cool. She and the Legion infantry, Indigo, used their covering fire to take out the two Balmadaar.

The Sectoids did their best to cause psychic trouble, but the one attacking Vee failed, the another hit the neural dampening of Legion Scout Jerone, and the third only disrupted Townsend’s aim. They quickly fell, and the Outsider was finished off by SGT Gregory after the Legion scout drew its fire.

Entering the UFO, we discovered the cargo rooms actually had hatches, and there were small plasma bombs intended to use against Istanbul within. Soon after entering the aforementioned rooms, we were met with the other Outsider and three Thin Men attempting to set the explosives off. The quick thinking of ‘Nick’ resulting in the death of the Outsider from a headshot, but Legion Assault Jorge sacrificed his life to stop the Thin Men from setting off the explosives and killing the whole squad. Vengeance was swift.

Noted Promotions:

Adolfsson, Janina (Infantry) to LT 4 (GSGT)
Welles, Wade (Sniper) to TSGT
Townsend, Devin (Support) to TSGT
Gregory, Ryan (Assault) to TSGT

Experience for:

(E) Subject 158: “Vee” (Destroyer) [4, 5, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16+, 17, Body Enhancements]
(A) Subject 171: “Jarone” (Scout) [3, 6, 8, 9]
(A) Subject 175: “Indigo” (Infantry) [1, 13, 15]
(A) Subject 176: “Casin” (Engineer) [4, 13, 14]
(A) Subject 170: "Ongla" (Support) [3, 15]
(A) Subject 178 “Tiento” (Gunner) [4, 13]
(A) Subject 159-B “Nick” (Scout-Sniper) [1, 3, 6, 8, 14]

Casualties:

(A) Subject 168: “Jorge” (Assault) [Sacrificed self to prevent detonation of plasma ordinance, three Thin Man Plasma Rifles]

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
X-COM Mission Parameters
Ethereal Base Assault

Operation Honorable Caritas
The Black Forest, Germany

Date:
September 30th, 2018
Time: 1900 Hours

Briefing:

We've detected a large Psionic reading beneath the surface of the Black Forest in Southwest Germany. Based on a comparison of readings from the two Ethereal bases and the fake one in New York, we have reason to believe this one is real.

Our soldiers have been given their time to rest up and prepare. If this is indeed one of the seven, it is likely Avaritia. Whoever it is, they are acting much like Luxuria did, having attack ships patrol and guard the area above the base, but making no evident attempt to escape. Of course, this means he is likely preparing for the worst.

Infiltrate the base and take out the European Overseer. And watch out for mechanized enemies. Our hacked files list Avaritia as one of the best stocked Ethereals.

Number of soldiers for this mission:

Twelve (12) Soldiers, accompanied by two (2) SHIVs.

Soldier Names:

TSGT Albert Foulke (Infantry) [Neural Dampening, Reaction Time Overclocker]*
TSGT Lovikov, Randall (Scout) [Aerobic Respiration Boost]
SGT Henderson, Fay (Sniper) (Yellow Psionic)
TSGT Palmer, Ermen (Assault)
SGT Mallory, Quinn (Engineer)
SGT Malkovich, Johnathan (Support)
SGT Wilson, Laurent (Medic) (Green Psionic)
SGT Trapp, David (Gunner) [Magnified Bicep Structure]
TSGT Temple, Sharron (Rocketeer) [Muscle Fiber Density, Depth Perception]
SGT Kwan, So Ji (Goliath) [MEC]
TSGT Crystal, Charles (Heavy)
SGT Stein, Shawn (Infantry) [Muscle Fiber Density, Aerobic Respiration Boost]
Alloy S.H.I.V. Unit 1: "Bandersnatch"
Hover S.H.I.V. Unit 2: "Jabberwock"

*Squad Leader

Gear:
Players' characters' will be equipped with the following supplies:

- Primary weapon:
Either a Pulse Stengun, a Pulse Carbine, a Pulse Rifle, a Heavy Pulse Rifle (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Scatter Blaster (Infantry, Assault, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Support), a Pulse Sniper Rifle (Sniper), a Blaster Rifle (Scout, Sniper), a Pulse Autoblaster (Gunner, Heavy), or a Gatling Pulser (Gunner, Heavy)

- Armor:
Kestrel Armor, Carapace Armor, Banshee Armor, or Aegis Armor (Four Shadow Armors also available)

- Secondary Weapon:
Either a Laser Pistol, a Blaster, or a Hand Scatter Plasma Blaster (H.S.P.B.)

- Equipment:
Two (2) of the following; a medikit, combat stims, alloy plating, reinforced armor, chitin plating, a battle scanner, an AP grenade, an alien grenade, a psi grenade, a smoke grenade, a chem grenade, a ghost grenade, a high-capacity magazine, a targeting module, a mind shield, or an Arc Thrower.

Details:

Much like the other Ethereal bases, after our Skeleton Key opens the hanger, situated in the middle of a clearing, you will find a hanger and loading dock. Following this, through a series of corridors, you'll find a lab, an engineering bay, soldier barracks, and finally Avaritia's central command/throne room.

The labs are interesting in that there is little evidence of human experimentation. There has been experimentation, but most of it seems to be centered around improving the human form. Note that there will still be evidence of disposed human failures.

The Engineering bay is nearly twice as large as the last two bases. Avaritia has obviously been far more interested in manipulation and experimentation of human weaponry then humans themselves. There are a number of Earth weapons and vehicles here, including a few you'll have to deal with yourself.

Finally, the barracks are split into three. One is obviously meant for the various alien soldiers, but the other two look similar to the soldier barracks and the refugee area in X-COM HQ, indicating they my house humans.

As usual, Avaritia will be waiting in his throne room, eagerly awaiting your arrival.

Enemies:

One (1) unit of Three (3) Sectoids
One (1) unit of Three (3) Thin Men
Two (2) units of Two (2) Floaters and Two (2) Heavy Floaters
Two (2) units of Two (2) Mutons and One (1) Berserker
Two (2) Alien SHIVs
Two (2) units of One (1) Mectoid and Two (2) Sectoids
Two (2) units of One (1) Cyberdisc and Two (2) Drones
One (1) unit of One (1) Hover Tank and Two (2) Drones
Two (2) units of Six (6) Human Soldiers
Avaritia, accompanied by Three (3) Muton Elites

Special Enemy Notes:

The hover tank is much like Earth tanks, though quicker due to its ability to float, and reinforced with alien alloys. It is armed with a slow firing but powerful plasma cannon, as well as a pair of weaker but faster Guass machine guns.

The elimination or capture of the European Ethereal Overseer, Avaritia.

Civilians:

You will meet a dozen unarmed non-combatants, all loyal to Avaritia.

Last edited:

BMPixy

“The Sword of Annihilation”
Somewhere in the Black Forest, Germany
September 30th, 2018
1903 Hours Local Time

“Alright everybody!” Albert yelled as the Skyranger settled down into the forest clearing. “Let’s move before one of those hostile fliers decides we’d look better deep fried!” Rapidly the squad rushed out of the back of the Skyranger and spread out, Albert and the two SHIVs covering the rear. Overheard a fierce dogfight was taking place, XCOM Firestorms and alien fighters trying their best to survive the fur-ball, the similar structures of the craft making it difficult to pick out who was winning.

With a rush of the VTOL engines the Skyranger jetted out of the area of operations, and the squad regrouped near the location of the entrance to the alien base. With a hand signal from Albert, Quinn produced the skeleton key from one of his numerous pockets. The alien device pulsed once with its familiar orange light, and the hangar doors slowly began to open.

A wave of the hand from the lead Infantry organized everybody in formation, So Ji at the tip of the spear, accompanied by Randall, Ermen, and David. On the right flank Albert led the formation, followed by Quinn, Laurent and Bandersnatch. The left fire-team filed into position, Shawn Stein at the front, and Charles, Johnathan, and Jabberwock staying by his side. Covering the rear was Fay and Sharron, their specialist weapons necessitating a place of slightly higher protection.

With another hand signal, the squad slowly made their way down the ramp. Harsh orange emergency klaxons flashed from the ceiling, illuminating strange shadows across the alloy walls. After a minute of harsh silence, the team finally made their way to the bottom of the ramp.

“Oh shit,” Trapp managed to mutter upon seeing the welcoming party waiting for the XCOM forces.

“Scatter!” Foulke yelled, just before a hail of plasma echoed forth from the alien’s fortified position, the XCOM Troopers scrambling for cover. Two Mectoids, each accompanied by a pair of their un-augmented cousins, rained fire from a catwalk; eight Floaters, split 50/50 between the normal and Heavy variants, shot a barrage of plasma from the skies; and four Mutons shot at the XCOM Troopers from behind several heavy crates while their Berserker brethren bashed their way towards the human forces.

In the chaos and confusion, Fay flicked on her Stealth Armor, vanishing from sight and using the inbuilt grappling hook to get set up on the catwalk above the human forces, as she lined up a shot with her Blaster Rifle. On the ground Albert managed to scramble behind a heavy crate. Lovikov dashed for the same piece of cover, but for once his lightning reflexes weren’t enough, and a bolt from a Mectoid cannon caught him in the shoulder, burning a deep hole through his armor and into his chest. The man dropped, dead before he could even impact the ground.

“R-Randall!” the Infantry yelled, but the Scout naturally didn’t respond. G-god, I-I got somebody else k-killed, Albert thought, panic briefly overtaking him, before he clamped down on it. No, not the time for self-pity. Need to save the rest. Glancing around, Albert took stock of the situation as he felt his perception of time begin to slow. We’re heavily out-gunned, we’ve got incoming Berserkers, but we need to deal with the mechs above before we can deal with them. Wait... the catwalk!

A glance confirmed that Albert’s tentative plan would work. “Temple, rocket the right Mectoid! Quinn, ‘nade the left one!” he yelled, as a shot rang out from above, damaging the former Mectoid’s weapon, forcing it to briefly cease its fire to fix the problem. “Trapp and Crystal, suppress the Mutons; SHIVs, Fay, and So Ji, take out those hostile fliers! Everybody else, nail those ‘zerkers!”

A hail of laser fire shot forth from the cover XCOM’s troopers were hunkered behind, catching the aliens slightly off guard from the rallying of the human forces. After a moment, a pair of twinned explosions detonated on the alien mechs, and with a screeching of rending alloys, the catwalk beneath them plummeted away, sending the Mectoids and the one surviving Sectoid plummeting to the floor, the impact crippling the former and pulping the latter in a splash of green blood.

Up above, Fay took the time to remove a handful of the tungsten shells she had ordered machined a few days before, tossing them up and catching them with her telekinesis, the rounds gently hovering over her shoulder.

Four targets, lightly armored, no line of sight blockers. Fay studied her targets, the four Floaters hovering above the battlefield, occasionally trying to pick off an XCOM trooper or cover their more armored cousins, readying herself for the strain of her hastily made application of her limited telekinesis. .38325 kilograms mass, velocity of 500.00 m/s. Kinetic energy of 47906 Joules, accounting for significant figures. Trajectory confirmed. Launching. With a yellow flash four of the hovering tungsten rounds shot off with a crack, the four Floaters dropping a moment later, large holes carved out of their torsos.

Under the combined fire of the MEC and two SHIVs, two of the Heavy Floaters followed their un-augmented cousins. Below, a pair of reactions shots from Shawn finished off one of the Berserkers. A barrage of fire from Palmer’s Scatter Blaster sent the second to it’s grave, and the fire of the rest of the team poured upon the slowly recovering Mectoids and the Muton troopers. Several bursts of fire later, and a finishing shot through a Muton’s skull from Albert, and the hall was silent.

“Everybody okay?” Foulke called out to his squad, and he got scattered affirmatives intermixed the occasional need for a quick patch-up. “Alright then,” he continued, “Let’s get movi-” A blast echoed from the other side of the hangar, causing the troopers to instinctually seek cover as the doors were sent flying off of their hinges as a three shadows emerged from the smoke.

“I-is that a tank!?” Laurent yelled, caught off guard by the appearance of the alien armor.

“Leopard 2 frame,” Charles analyzed, as he and Laurent dashed for safety behind a support pillar. “Heavily modified, can’t tell the exact variant.” Flanking the hover tank were two alien SHIVs along with a pair of Drones, almost comically out of proportional with the heavy alien armor they were escorting.

“Right, let’s figure out how to kill that thing,” Albert chimed in over the comms. Shredder, followed by EMP from So Ji? Alright, but what are we going to do for follow-up? And what about the alien SHIVs? Maybe David and Charles suppress them, follow up with overwhelming fire? Yeah, that deals with them, but how do we finish the tank? Albert quickly took stock of the situation, before noticing that So Jo’s MEC had the proximity mine attachment. Oh, perfect...

“Temple, shredder on the tank!” the squad leader yelled, “Trapp, Crystal, suppress the SHIVs, Laurent and Quinn, pop smokes in front of the tank! So Ji, while they do that, set up a proximity mine under the tank, and then EMP the fucker! SHIVs, button down the tank! Everybody else, keep your head down!”

Bandersnatch rolled up next to Albert, and gave a slightly confused tilt of the front camera.

“Just try to disable their external cameras and whatever else they can use to get a bead on us!” the Infantry yelled, hunkering down as the tank got a shot off with it’s heavy plasma cannon. A quick glance alerted Albert that the spot where Shawn had been taking cover behind was now ash and melted alloys, with no sign of the trooper aside from some scattered fragments of his Shadow Armor. A second explosion echoed across the hangar, as Temple’s shredder rocket cut jagged fissures in the mechanized unit’s armor, and completely destroyed the two drones. The twin gauss machine guns atop the Leopard spooled up and began perforating the Rocketeer’s cover, but a hail of fire from the Alloy SHIV’s Super-heavy Plasma tore deep hole in the anti-infantry weapons, rendering them inoperable.

Up above, Fay stalked around on the catwalks under the cover of her Shadow Armor, trying to line up a good shot on the targets below. Would have preferred Gauss Long Rifle, even if cumbersome in close quarters environments, she thought, analyzing the enemy armor below. But, perhaps kinetic energy penetrator more useful. Lining up one of the floating tungsten shells, she began calculating just how much force would be used to deal with the alien SHIVs.

Meanwhile, So Ji launched the proximity mine, the explosive rolling a short distance under the tank before setting off its signature beeping. The tank halted it’s forward advance, the occupants likely spotting the MEC firing the projectile and acting accordingly. Just afterwards, the two smoke grenades went off, clouding the area in front of the tank with deep purple clouds, as So Ji charged into Electropulse range.

The MEC reached the edge of the effective range of the EMP unit, sidestepped a plasma cannon shell, and took a couple more steps forward before hunching over and deploying the EMP. A blue charge built up in the unit, before several tendrils of lightning shot out, connecting to the tank, alien SHIVs, and some scattered metallic objects, flaring brightly before just as quickly dying out.