X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or the chosen one to be a secret agent for those EXALT missions ^^
"Ooo! Pick me! I wanna be a deep-cover agent!" -Every XCOM Agent on the team.

I wonder how exactly those EXALT mission will be roleplayed. We only see the tail end of the actual mission, but there are several "invisible" days involving the deep-cover agent interacting and/or hiding from other hostile persons.

I think some people need to roleplay as the Exalt NPCs, at least for the XCOM agent to bounce ideas off of. It's not like the relatively faceless alien threat, what with all the personal interaction that will occur during the buildup to the mission.

Dragonivon

Of course Heavies and MECs can't go on the mission. And probably just as well, considering that EXALT is wholly composed of lawyers. That's my personal belief, an evil cabal of lawyers trying to take over the world. That way you don't feel nearly as bad about shooting them.

Of course Heavies and MECs can't go on the mission. And probably just as well, considering that EXALT is wholly composed of lawyers. That's my personal belief, an evil cabal of lawyers trying to take over the world. That way you don't feel nearly as bad about shooting them.
Hopefully the team isn't only comprised of Heavies and MECs when EXALT comes knocking.

What do you think of my roleplaying EXALT idea?

PrismaCube

Well I for once already got a sweet under cover back up plan incase I do get to be a agent although I doupt that since Caroline is a medic and I think the only one? not sure on that part. But yeah my idea was like writting about the journey to the place then staying undercover and learning more about the exalt all while setting up stuff jada jada jada as you can see I would be really thrilled about it.

Frostlich1228

I think some people need to roleplay as the Exalt NPCs, at least for the XCOM agent to bounce ideas off of. It's not like the relatively faceless alien threat, what with all the personal interaction that will occur during the buildup to the mission.

I would love to RP as an Exalt!.
Because I don't think they work with the aliens like the council will have us believe...
I think they fight the Aliens without using Alien DNA to Augment their soldiers, because they believe that X-Com is turning themselves into the very thing they are fighting.
This makes sense because they are always one step behind us in technology, even though we saw that they have labs and Engineering facilities equal to our own. Their refusal to work with Alien Tech puts them Far behind us in Research.

Dragonivon

I would love to RP as an Exalt!.
Because I don't think they work with the aliens like the council will have us believe...
I think they fight the Aliens without using Alien DNA to Augment their soldiers, because they believe that X-Com is turning themselves into the very thing they are fighting.
This makes sense because they are always one step behind us in technology, even though we saw that they have labs and Engineering facilities equal to our own. Their refusal to work with Alien Tech puts them Far behind us in Research.

I have a different viewpoint of EXALT's motivations. They definitely use alien dna because they do rampant genemodding in all their soldiers later. I agree they aren't working with the aliens, at least not directly. They likely are buying up all the alien tech that hits the market (even that being sold by CommanderOdd himself) to try and bolster their technology. That explains why they are a bit behind XCOM in technology since they are essentially piggybacking.

As for their motivations, I think it's less along the lines of philanthropy and more along the lines of 'James Bond Villain'. Considering I think of these as mercenary lawyers, they are trying to consolidate power. Enough to fight back the aliens to a standstill and to impose their will on society both overtly and covertly, establishing a new world order technocracy. This will only be possible if XCOM fails and they succeed in it's stead. The biggest tell is they go into combat masked, meaning they don't wish their civilian identity known in public. This is probably why they want to paint them as 'alien sympathizers' to XCOM so it will be easier to kill humans as traitors to their race instead of just mercenaries trying to get the same contract.

Zhang wants them dead because the Triad can't abide such competition.

S

Sarge-Pepper

I wonder how exactly those EXALT mission will be roleplayed. We only see the tail end of the actual mission, but there are several "invisible" days involving the deep-cover agent interacting and/or hiding from other hostile persons.

I think those that aren't playing at the moment should be able to RP the exalt forces. ;>

::totally not biased::

Frostlich1228

They definitely use alien dna because they do rampant genemodding in all their soldiers late.

Hmm... Perhaps they are Human Made Gene Mods...

That would explain why we haven't seen any aliens with the ability to AOE heal his allies( Elite Medic ), and also why we can't Give our soldiers any of EXALT's Gene Mods.

BMPixy

I have a different viewpoint of EXALT's motivations. They definitely use alien dna because they do rampant genemodding in all their soldiers later. I agree they aren't working with the aliens, at least not directly. They likely are buying up all the alien tech that hits the market (even that being sold by CommanderOdd himself) to try and bolster their technology. That explains why they are a bit behind XCOM in technology since they are essentially piggybacking.

As for their motivations, I think it's less along the lines of philanthropy and more along the lines of 'James Bond Villain'. Considering I think of these as mercenary lawyers, they are trying to consolidate power. Enough to fight back the aliens to a standstill and to impose their will on society both overtly and covertly, establishing a new world order technocracy. This will only be possible if XCOM fails and they succeed in it's stead. The biggest tell is they go into combat masked, meaning they don't wish their civilian identity known in public. This is probably why they want to paint them as 'alien sympathizers' to XCOM so it will be easier to kill humans as traitors to their race instead of just mercenaries trying to get the same contract.

Zhang wants them dead because the Triad can't abide such competition.

Looking at some of the flavor text on the EXALT Artifacts, a more likely conclusion to reach would be EXALT being more of an ancient conspiracy, reaching back a good few hundred years. I can't quote the devs exactly, but I recall hearing that EXALT's men are essentially sleeper agents, working at their day job at a corporate office, waiting for the call to don the masks and perform their mission. Maybe not mercenary lawyers, but high-profile pseudo-cultists, similar in theme to the Cult of Sirius in XCOM: Apocalypse.

Also, I believe the relationship between EXALT and the aliens is more so of spider and boot, respectively. While the spider may be able to survive being stepped on, it still doesn't want to get crushed. However, the spider can assist the owner of the boot by taking care of certain roaches that just won't die (i.e. XCOM), though the boot may not recognize the spider's assistance. EXALT's goals for the Alien War may just be assist in crushing XCOM, have the aliens genetically perfect humanity, and then when they leave, rush in and take over. Though it also brings up the question of why EXALT risks so much to retrieve Annette from the aliens, risking their fragile relationship with the aliens.

Frostlich1228

it also brings up the question of why EXALT risks so much to retrieve Annette from the aliens, risking their fragile relationship with the aliens.

I think that EXALT knew of Annette and her friend's powers and wanted to make sure that the Aliens couldn't use it against them, but they failed and the Aliens used the Furies powers to attack both EXALT's and X-Com's bases at the same time.

This is why I love this forum, So many different Head-Canons. :)

Dragonivon

I think that EXALT knew of Annette and her friend's powers and wanted to make sure that the Aliens couldn't use it against them, but they failed and the Aliens used the Furies powers to attack both EXALT's and X-Com's bases at the same time.

This is why I love this forum, So many different Head-Canons. :)

I think you are close, but not quite right on how it happened with EXALT and Annette. My take on it is that Annette and the Furies were a weapon that EXALT was dealing with to fight against the aliens, a trump card if you will, thinking that they could overpower the weak-minded aliens (of which are the bulk of their forces) en-masse and turn them against the Ethereals and other psi-able aliens. But their first test was on XCOM, tipping off the Aliens that something was happening at the base coordinates. Perhaps proving that the aliens had nothing to fear from them, right before they drop the psi-hammer on the aliens and drive them off from the planet.

Of course, not everything went according to EXALT's plan. The aliens didn't react like they expected. When the aliens learned of the mass-mindcontrol ability at the XCOM base by EXALT they took IMMEDIATE action to stop that business. Stealing the Furies and trying to capture Annette but she was able to get away somehow, though obviously seeing a lot of the carnage the aliens left in their wake. They tried to hide Annette and failed, resulting in finding her at Deluge in the back of a ruined EXALT transport.

Her memory not being clear of her part in the base invasion and her part in it also tells me she was undergoing EXALT conditioning but they couldn't take away her will without affecting her psi-ability. So she wasn't ever 'converted' but while under medication and in psi-amplificaiton apparatus she was compliant.

Anyway, that's the story that makes sense in my head but whoever ends up writing for EXALT, make up your own reasons. And yes, I love the variant head-canons trying to fill in the blanks and make lore for a game that seems intentionally vague on those points.

If it happens, Annette spent some time as their captive, could do some joint work on expanding that :)
Very much a possibility. Annette has to roleplay with EXALT, even if it ends up being the last remaining pieces of that group from after EXALT's main headquarters is taken out.

Taxor_the_First

I think some people need to roleplay as the Exalt NPCs, at least for the XCOM agent to bounce ideas off of.
Yes pls. Assuming I'm allowed to considering my lack of acceptance into the RP, I would like to be one of those NPC's.
Failing that, it's still something I'd like to see others doing.

Personal theory regarding EXALT? INDOCTRINATION.
Nah, joking. I actually think more in the vein of Pixy's argument - some sort of ancient cult going back hundreds of years, just waiting for their own "Judgement Day".
... now I cannot get rid of the image of an old, massive book with a picture of Odd in it, with demon horns or something and the words "Antichrist" or something captioned beneath.
EDIT: Forget "Antichrist". More like "False Sheperd/Shepard"

Also, anyone who ends up going on a covert op has to receive an appropriate nickname. Something like "Snake" or "Bond". I dunno, someone stealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.