X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meaningofbread

If you feel like pre-writing an application, go ahead. Be be prepared to change anything in the maybe-new rule set he will have applied. Just be prepared to change a lot.

Hmm thinking about what grelite said earlier about building a character with being a mec trooper in mind. Would it be possible to volunteer as a mec trooper when theres need for one? I mean, it would seem great to me to be able to volunteer, but of course a valid reasoning would also be the best. I mean it would be a great way to give us atleast a small bit of decisions if our character was to become a mec trooper. Any thoughts by others?

Jhon Markith

I understand what you are saying and I think there is a possibility of volunteering, when it comes down to it, I tried to keep a balance of class and rank with my MECs, so if ChristopherOdd is like that then there will be a better chance, Plus, I have thought about my Character for the next session to make him flexible for the most part, for example- he is a mechanic, so he could be a MEC, he has also worked out a little and he is a good shot, so that means he can still get some gen mods. That is just what I have done, I cant wait for the next session and all the characters you guys have made.

Straif

I actually did something similar...my character's a former Marine, therefor meaning he's passable in just about any of the four classes (cause that's how the Marine Corps works), and I can have him change based on what gets assigned after his first promotion.

Jhon Markith

exactly, I love the power of flexibility, just look at my posts last session, or current for the ones who are still making there final posts, there were many ways that I kept my characters situation flexible. But, I hope with this new session, I can go a different way while keeping the flexibility, I have plans if my guy becomes a MEC, or if he gets some gen mods, if he has the gift, or even if he stays an average Joe. I don't think there will be many average Joes though, with this LP, it looks like he is spreading the love of the meld.

Grelite

When I play Enemy Within, I find it better, from a gameplay perspective, to turn higher-ranked soldiers into MECs because they retain promotions and investing meld means I want survivability. If Christopher would make similar choices there is no way to build a character with MEC in behind beforehand. Not to mention that a soldier cannot become an MEC before their first promotion and their class is an important reason to choose to make someone into an MEC, but it also means that every MEC has to have had non-MEC field experience unless the New Guy perk has been bought from the Officer Training School.

Jhon Markith

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I am personally more aggressive, why, I don't know, if I see meld, I'll will try to get it, but if I don't, I try to kill the enemy as fast as I can to save the meld, that means I will take a 33% chance for a hit, and to say the least, it works for me.

Grelite

Once I got Mimetic Skin on some support and snipers, getting to Meld became little of an issue. But MECs are still quite expensive to build and upgrade.

Jhon Markith

I try to keep my MECs and assaults up front, my first MEC was a support class and my first gen modded soldier was an assault. For some reason, seekers go after my assault every time, they ignore the rest. Looking at the achievement to beat a mission with only MECs, that would be great against seekers, they cant choke a MEC.

Grelite

I am fairly certain Chitin Plating grants immunity to choking, I have that on all my non-mechanical units. My Memetic Skin troops can freely move forward as long as they don't move when already within range of an enemy. Then my MECs, Assaults or Heavies can move in while they stay put, should an enemy come into site because they won't trigger until I mean to trigger them. As for that achievement; I built 4 fully upgraded SHIVs, and brought them along with 2 fully upgraded MECs to a small scout crash site.

Straif

Mimetic skin is damn near OP in my opinion...especially if you put it on a Sniper with the "half cover is full cover" upgrade (whichever that one is)
Because then you have an effectively invisible sniper.
And yes, Chitin plating prevents choking.

Straif

Also...has anyone played far enough into the game to have fought EXALT with laser weaponry? Cause I'm trying to figure out if getting lasers yourself makes it so that EXALT gets them or if you could, theoretically, steal lasers from them without ever getting your own.

Grelite

I got laser sniper rifles from EXALT without ever building my own, but I doubt I'd want to go up against EXALT without laser rifles when they already have them.

Straif

I got laser sniper rifles from EXALT without ever building my own, but I doubt I'd want to go up against EXALT without laser rifles when they already have them.
That goes without saying...by that point if you don't have lasers you're in SERIOUS trouble.
Just figuring out strageies...cause if I can save money and alloys for something else by arming my soldiers with EXALT laser weaponry I will.

Meaningofbread

So now that Annette has been introduced, we should discuss on how this should be handled in an RP perspective if it hasn't already on camera.

Should we treat her like Zhang? A fully developed character to be introduced late in the game, that someone can fill the shoes? The only problem with this is the fact that she appears fairly late in the game, or not at all. I've had runs where I finished the game without her in sight.

The person who plays as her needs to accept the fact that she will have very little time, or none at all depending on the transpiring events.

Michael7123

So now that Annette has been introduced, we should discuss on how this should be handled in an RP perspective if it hasn't already on camera.

Should we treat her like Zhang? A fully developed character to be introduced late in the game, that someone can fill the shoes? The only problem with this is the fact that she appears fairly late in the game, or not at all. I've had runs where I finished the game without her in sight.

The person who plays as her needs to accept the fact that she will have very little time, or none at all depending on the transpiring events.
Perhaps when she is introduced the next person in line to be hired would be asked if they would be willing to RP as her instead of their Pre made character? If they say no, then the next person would be asked, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.