X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahlo

I remember in S2 somebody applied for it so they got it, but in S3 Grelite called dibs cause he was Odd's helper. Unless I'm out of the loop, Odd doesn't have a helper this season, so I guess just apply for it. *shrugs*

I just want to start writing my scientist already. >=O

Grelite

Actually, Christopher told me to play Zhang, so I did. I'd originally planned to write an application a few days after the applications opened up so I'd be too far back to make it to the field, but could still be part of the RP.

Well one of us could maybe take her as a Second character? I mean allmost All of us had a secondary characters on S3 so that could Work perhaps? Balancing out beetween her and Your own character Would take a bit of Work but This Would be the best way to do it.

Meaningofbread

Well one of us could maybe take her as a Second character? I mean allmost All of us had a secondary characters on S3 so that could Work perhaps? Balancing out beetween her and Your own character Would take a bit of Work but This Would be the best way to do it.

Agreed, but I think the ability of writing as Annette should definitely fall to someone who:

1. Does not have a character in active duty
  2. Commonly writes a character in non-active duty
  3. Can accept the fact that this character might not be used

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
While I barely participated in season 3, I followed it closely all the way, and I noticed a few things I want to make suggestions about for the next RP seasons.

First, I think Grelite should have some sort of official authority as a GM, in the sense that he could directly address another RPer about something they should rectify in their journals, rather than use double-meaning journals to indirectly address the issue (example), a method which appears to be highly ineffective.

Secondly, a few ideas to mingle more the RP with the game, and to reward the RPers through it.
I think it has been discussed already, but I want to stress the benefice of using the quality of the characters rather than a "first arrived, first served" system in order to determine the order of the soldiers list: it would encourage people to put efforts into the creation of their characters, rather than quickly write three lines to put themselves in line. This would also be profitable to people in different time-zones that may be sleeping or occupied when the recruitment starts but are still eager to participate with good characters.
As a sub-suggestion, I also think that spelling should also be taken into account for this, because it would again encourage people to put efforts into it. You cannot write a story if you cannot simply write correctly. If you have difficulties with English but already know the basics, there are plenty of things to help you adjust and perfect it: spellchecker programs for orthography, dictionaries for the translation of words, and to learn the grammar, nothing is better than reading English novels (watching movies and series with the English subtitles on is also very effective). I'm not an English native and that's basically how I really learned the language.

And, last suggestion, with Enemy Within, I see a way to continue rewarding the RPers throughout the game: the medals. They could be awarded to the soldiers of the RPers who are active in the RP and put visible efforts in their journals. Not only would it gives credit to the active RPers, but it would also give a better chance of survival to their characters.

What do you think?

I really dig the ideas of medals. Regarding the first come/first serve, that's definitely something I want to improve on.

I'll talk to Grelite and see how much time he has. I know with school it's quite difficult sometimes.

Hi There. I actually just started watching the x-com seasons about two weeks ago and am so impressed I could explode. At first I wasn't going to read the journals if only because I thought there would be problems with people matching the stories together, but the community collectively punched that thought in the face from season one onward. It really helps viewers feel involved as well as lets them show commitment to a series they enjoy pass a like button. I hope I can get involved on season 4 since the Enemy within series is kind of official/unofficial but still one of the most entertaining so far. Anyway I think I've rambled on enough but at the very least I hope this goes on for a long time. ^^

Last edited:
Hi There. I actually just started watching the x-com seasons about two weeks ago .and am so impressed I could explode. At first I wasn't going to read the journals if only because I thought there would be problems with people mating the stories together, but the community collectively punched that thought in the face from season one onward. It really helps viewers feel involved as well as lets them show commitment to a series they enjoy pass a like button. I hope I can get involved on season 4 since the Enemy within series is kind of official/unofficial but still one of the most entertaining so far. Anyway I think I've rambled on enough but at the very least I hope this goes on for a long time. ^^
feel free to do so!

feel free to do so!

I'll try. I actually play x-com quite a bit and just got enemy within finally since it snuck up on me during an awkward time with money, but its amazing. The rp-ing is what's really drawing me in. Just something about writing up characters and seeing how others respond just makes x-com come alive to me. I actually came from northernlion's channel and am enjoying seeing the big difference in play style.

Riqe

Question about Season 4 Recruitment, since asking this in the recruitment thread doesn't seem right: For the application, are we limited to the format provided or is that just required information and the format can be creative, ex: A letter from XCOM Recruitment Office to Commander Odd about a recruit?

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
Question about Season 4 Recruitment, since asking this in the recruitment thread doesn't seem right: For the application, are we limited to the format provided or is that just required information and the format can be creative, ex: A letter from XCOM Recruitment Office to Commander Odd about a recruit?

Creativity is encouraged :) But make sure you have all of the required info.

Dahlexpert

Odd you do realize that having only one journal entry,means that were only going to be making mission reports.

My problem on the subject isn't with making every post count, but more with the interactions between characters in the rp. Personally, the redeeming quality of rping past making you own creative character is seeing the interactions of your character with those you can't control. I'm not saying that we should be allowed to go back and forth as if it is all happening in real time, but only being able to post once means, for those willing to post first, won't be able to respond to someone for an entire week. I know keeping things cohesive is big this time around, but I do think the posting restriction should be modified but not removed. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.