X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
Odd you do realize that having only one journal entry,means that were only going to be making mission reports.
My problem on the subject isn't with making every post count, but more with the interactions between characters in the rp. Personally, the redeeming quality of rping past making you own creative character is seeing the interactions of your character with those you can't control. I'm not saying that we should be allowed to go back and forth as if it is all happening in real time, but only being able to post once means, for those willing to post first, won't be able to respond to someone for an entire week. I know keeping things cohesive is big this time around, but I do think the posting restriction should be modified but not removed. ^^

I totally understand. If you guys have an alternative solution that would keep things cohesive, easy to follow, and ensures that the experience isn't dominated by a few main RP'ers, then I am all ears.

Suryce

Game Master
What about a restriction of 3 journals per episode? It will still limit people who are very active, while giving them enough room to do diverse things until the next episode (combats reports, interactions with other characters, memory logs).

By the way, to avoid a hole in the rule, characters interactions should count as a journal for every player heavily involved, I guess?

Dahlexpert

What about two or three journals a day.Now yes i'm one of the people that write daily and I got to say one journal one a week kinda kills the fun for most of us,I mean for those that participated in season 2&3 and for those that read those journals you no we can get a little crazy with the journals and make some pretty emotional and some pretty bad ass collaborations.And one journal each episode kinda kills all of the collaborations that we do and the memory logs,I mean if we make a collaboration we have to wait a week to post it,and if we wait that long and that person goes on a mission and dies it makes the collaboration worthless,because accentual we just met that person as compared to the old rule were we just met that person days ago.

Now lets say you made a journal entry on Sunday before the episode comes on you tube. And your character dies no one will morn that person because they did not no them,the hole point of the journals is for us to get into our character and make the game more exciting,and we cant do with one journal one Sunday,or three journals on that Sunday because we still cant can't get into who are character is,and what they are becoming,because none of use stick with the character we made in the bio, we use the bio as the back bone of what that character is going to become I mean some of us made some pretty great characters in the recruitment center that's how the start but over time they change and become a different person.

Now if i'm going to be serious,some of you guys the made your character, you may make one journal entry and never write another journal entry again,or you will never write one at all so Odd in me saying all of this can you please go back to the old rule,or let us write one or two journals a day.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
What about two or three journals a day.Now yes i'm one of the people that write daily and I got to say one journal one a week kinda kills the fun for most of us,I mean for those that participated in season 2&3 and for those that read those journals you no we can get a little crazy with the journals and make some pretty emotional and some pretty bad ass collaborations.And one journal each episode kinda kills all of the collaborations that we do and the memory logs,I mean if we make a collaboration we have to wait a week to post it,and if we wait that long and that person goes on a mission and dies it makes the collaboration worthless,because accentual we just met that person as compared to the old rule were we just met that person days ago.

Now lets say you made a journal entry on Sunday before the episode comes on you tube. And your character dies no one will morn that person because they did not no them,the hole point of the journals is for us to get into our character and make the game more exciting,and we cant do with one journal one Sunday,or three journals on that Sunday because we still cant can't get into who are character is,and what they are becoming,because none of use stick with the character we made in the bio, we use the bio as the back bone of what that character is going to become I mean some of us made some pretty great characters in the recruitment center that's how the start but over time they change and become a different person.

Now if i'm going to be serious,some of you guys the made your character, you may make one journal entry and never write another journal entry again,or you will never write one at all so Odd in me saying all of this can you please go back to the old rule,or let us write one or two journals a day.
I'm not completely following what you're saying. 2-3 journals per day is way too much. Are you referencing days or episodes?

Gahlo

I think 3 a week, counting mission journals, is a nice spot. It gives a light nod to people who don't get field work for their patience for waiting. Remember guys, with co-ops 3 a week can go a long way.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
I think 3 a week, counting mission journals, is a nice spot. It gives a light nod to people who don't get field work for their patience for waiting. Remember guys, with co-ops 3 a week can go a long way.
There will be one episode each Sunday. Full games usually take 30-45 episodes.

L

Laura Rola

I like the option of 2 to 3 a week total, although I don't really know if I'd post that much even if I got in. It is always best in RP's to get the less active people involved a bit, so that everyone gets to contribute and have fun, so the 1 per episode does make some sense, but I don't think 2 or 3 will overwhelm the board. And if it does, I suppose you could technically change the rules back to 1 per episode later, although that could also be difficult... hmmm...

I do think that 2-3 journals a day is way to much. I think that within a week between episodes 2-3 journals is a great place to be when trying to develop a relationship between soldiers.

PrismaCube

I got to say I do not like the idea of having 1 Journal per episode, but I see where Chris is coming from, he barley did anything last seasons about the Role playing probably because he lost the overview after a while since he does have other things to do too. So I accept that Rule, also gives me more time to focus on School rather than Journals, heck one per episode I can do.

Last edited:

Frostlich1228

Yeah I think 2-3 posts a week would be a lot better, It would give us a chance to do some Side Characters that the current rule doesn't. :)

Thenlar

Hi there! I came over from Odd's Reddit post, and registered just for this. This is literally my second post on these forums ever, heh.

The RP aspect is what has me most excited about this, it's something I wish I could get my friends to do in my insert-friends-into-XCom LPs. They're excited to see what "they" do in missions, but there's no conversation or dialogue between the real life people, sadly.

While I would love to see multiple posts back and forth between people, I certainly see how that can rapidly become overwhelming for those not involved. But conversations are some of the best parts of RP, like Sypher.Anthem said. I know that the guy I posted, his primary consideration (from the excerpted conversation) is that he's good with people, keeping morale up (in addition to ... scrounging things).

I see there is a "message" function, though. Perhaps RPers could hold a conversation in messages? Then an additional post each week could be allocated to posting the entire conversation all at once, rather than a string of discrete posts. It does make it harder for third parties to show up unless they were included from the beginning, but it's another possible compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.