X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketbottle

An important question here I see that people have went very in depth with their characters giving them their full facial structure and tattoos but will chris even remember what your character will look like or will forget to customize the charater when you get in the game because last season I don't remember Chris actually customizing the character for them so isn't it pointless to do it or am I missing a point?

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
An important question here I see that people have went very in depth with their characters giving them their full facial structure and tattoos but will chris even remember what your character will look like or will forget to customize the charater when you get in the game because last season I don't remember Chris actually customizing the character for them so isn't it pointless to do it or am I missing a point?

It's pointless.

Frostlich1228

It helps the other RPers visualize what your character looks like :)

I can see why no ones done this before since there is no telling who will get picked to be active during the season, but you would think with all the military background that every soldier has that some if them would know each other or atleast of each other. I just think it would be cool to have bios involve each other like family members or people who might have been part of the same unit.

Whiplash779

I can see why no ones done this before since there is no telling who will get picked to be active during the season, but you would think with all the military background that every soldier has that some if them would know each other or atleast of each other. I just think it would be cool to have bios involve each other like family members or people who might have been part of the same unit.
OOOOOOOHhhhhhhhh! That is a great idea! I can't believe no one has done this sooner. I may start messaging people to see if they want to RP like our characters knew (of) each other. Anybody up for it?

Well if You want to do it recommend You ask the soldiers roleplayer about it. But not Every Soldier knows each Other I mean They come from All over the world. And Being part of the same army does not nesessarily mean You know that person. I mean the US army for example is HUGE. Theres good chances not everyone knows each other.

I understand that but some of the major bases in nations are the focal point for soldiers and squads that are going in and out to other smaller posts. I just think that this type of forethought could take away from the excess time needed to say one character "knows" another. It was just a thought.

I understand that but some of the major bases in nations are the focal point for soldiers and squads that are going in and out to other smaller posts. I just think that this type of forethought could take away from the excess time needed to say one character "knows" another. It was just a thought.

Its the safest to assume Your Soldier does not know Them beforehand unless agreed upon by both Players.

Yeah I wouldn't assume a character to know anyone unless it was discussed prior. Especially since it would give them a chance to talk about missions that they might have been on or whatever. Its just something that I didn't even see get brought up and thought I would raise a discussion on it :D

Yeah I wouldn't assume a character to know anyone unless it was discussed prior. Especially since it would give them a chance to talk about missions that they might have been on or whatever. Its just something that I didn't even see get brought up and thought I would raise a discussion on it :D

I think the reason it hasn't been brought up is because its allways more fun to build up the bond beetween two characters from ground zero, instead of them allready knowing each other beforehand and allready having a bond. This is just my personal view on the things, it seems more fun to me.

Whiplash779

I think the reason it hasn't been brought up is because its allways more fun to build up the bond beetween two characters from ground zero, instead of them allready knowing each other beforehand and allready having a bond. This is just my personal view on the things, it seems more fun to me.
I've done plenty of roleplays where one character knew another from a previous experience. If you start at the right place in the right capacity, you can skip the formalities of meeting each other and continue on where the development really gets fun: becoming friends and comrades in arms.

I've done plenty of roleplays where one character knew another from a previous experience. If you start at the right place in the right capacity, you can skip the formalities of meeting each other and continue on where the development really gets fun: becoming friends and comrades in arms.

I see your point, but still there allready is bond beetween you and the other character. And allready the way a character handels formalities can tell a lot of its personality. Personal preferance like I said lol.

I like the idea of both especially from the perspective of a third soldier (scientist/engineer) seeing the other two on more friendly terms and maybe over hearing what they were talking about. I do agree though that a lot of funny interactions can be taken away from characters getting past the odd beginning formalities. lol

Whiplash779

I see your point, but still there allready is bond beetween you and the other character. And allready the way a character handels formalities can tell a lot of its personality. Personal preferance like I said lol.
I see your personal preference. I simply think that those "meeting for the first or second time" situations tend to play out in very similar ways, which tends towards the stale and boring part of RPing. The personalities interacting with each other on a deeper level than first meetings is where it gets really interesting. I understand where you're coming from, though.
I like the idea of both especially from the perspective of a third soldier (scientist/engineer) seeing the other two on more friendly terms and maybe over hearing what they were talking about. I do agree though that a lot of funny interactions can be taken away from characters getting past the odd beginning formalities. lol
Or, those awkward moments can be replaced by (IMO) even funnier inside jokes and friendly banter. ;)

I dunno, something about acquaintances talking to each other is more intriguing and humorous to me than people meeting each other for the first time.

Can you imagine being the surgeon/scientist who had to like chop of someone limb for a mech suit? or put some one in atube for a month while you make them into something more than human? Thats gonna be so gooood

I'd say in the case of X-COM its more interesting to meet as strangers rather than friends. Because that stranger you meet up with is going to be the person you are going to have to trust your life with, that persons shot with an assault rifle or any other weapon might define your life or death. Thats what makes it more interesting to me.

And what comes to the scientist part: Well thats going to be my job lol, I chose the role of a scientist on the base, hopefully my application is accepted.

Hopefully it does, I think it would make for some interesting interactions. I think Whiplash means less as friends and more acquaintances since all it does is put soldiers on something more than a first name basis at the very least.

Hopefully it does, I think it would make for some interesting interactions. I think Whiplash means less as friends and more acquaintances since all it does is put soldiers on something more than a first name basis at the very least.

I can't say my character would mind it, she is glad to do what she can to help humanity. Allthough I have to wonder: what will X-COM do about the MEC's and gene modded soldiers after the war is over? I mean a human with two hearts for example isn't exacly the most common things for doctors to see. Or what about the MEC's, who will keep them in shape after X-COM is over? I don't think any country is technologicly advanced enough to know how the MEC basic augmentations work. Does X-COM make sure there is an engineer somewhere in that persons home country that can take care of them? Psionics adapting to normal life doesn't reguire as much due to the only way they differ being their psionic abilities.

I can't say my character would mind it, she is glad to do what she can to help humanity. Allthough I have to wonder: what will X-COM do about the MEC's and gene modded soldiers after the war is over? I mean a human with two hearts for example isn't exacly the most common things for doctors to see. Or what about the MEC's, who will keep them in shape after X-COM is over? I don't think any country is technologicly advanced enough to know how the MEC basic augmentations work. Does X-COM make sure there is an engineer somewhere in that persons home country that can take care of them? Psionics adapting to normal life doesn't reguire as much due to the only way they differ being their psionic abilities.

I guess beyond keep up for actual mec deployment it wouldn't be much different from an advanced amputee, just bionic limbs instead of prosthetic. If anything I think the gene moded soldiers would have to be watched closer when trying to integrate back into society.

I guess beyond keep up for actual mec deployment it wouldn't be much different from an advanced amputee, just bionic limbs instead of prosthetic. If anything I think the gene moded soldiers would have to be watched closer when trying to integrate back into society.

I just have to wonder how they would even integrate back into society. I mean some of them have recieved guite the drastic changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.