X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrammalech

You could also have someone poor who needs to provide for their loved ones (platonic or romantic) as well, in a indirect "I'll die for my family/love" way. That's assuming XCOM isn't officially conscripting everyone and actually pays or provides for their soldiers, even though some members in the recruitment center appear to be conscripted or blackmailed into service.
For instance, you could have someone who never felt "worthy" and keeps taking more and more dangerous jobs/assignments to prove himself, despite the protestations of the lady.

Similarly, you could also have someone (engineers, pilots, ex-military in non-combat roles, civilians with famous parents as soldiers) who is single and insecure and thinks increasing their "manly quotient" will help him in wooing a lady.

There are lots of ways to show a character's motives peeking out through the floorboards. That's kind of how I personally thought of the recruitment post, as a challenge to show off character traits in a suppressed manner so that they could manifest later when the character is actually talking, thinking, acting, and such. :)

Last edited:

Meaningofbread

Its amazing how many motivations there could be to join XCOM. My character essentially has no choice, so her heart isn't exactly set in the matter. Maybe it will eventually, but maybe she'll die a horrible thin manny death before then.

JuliaMaluca

I'm really curious about how those assessment videos will be. Commander Odd and his wife sitting at the breakfast table, both reading application files and pointing the interesting details out to each other while the coffee gets cold...

UltimaNamir

I haven't considered the scaling of posts as the season goes on. That's definitely something to think about.

I was reading this and saw the problem everyone was talking about, so heres my two pennies on the issue. You can possibly have a Journal thread and an Interaction thread. Keep the one Journal entry per week and also have one or two interaction entries per week. This can clear up all the traffick from the Journal entries of people mingling and interacting with each other but still give us the option of reacting to any journal entries that were added after we post ours.

Brian

I was reading this and saw the problem everyone was talking about, so heres my two pennies on the issue. You can possibly have a Journal thread and an Interaction thread. Keep the one Journal entry per week and also have one or two interaction entries per week. This can clear up all the traffick from the Journal entries of people mingling and interacting with each other but still give us the option of reacting to any journal entries that were added after we post ours.
Hey,that might not be a bad idea.Just make them both 1 post per week so it's still easier to catch up.

This is gonna be completely irrelevant,but I'm excited to see the base attack journals....and the season itself.

Last edited:

UltimaNamir

Looking forward to the season. I'm just worried my application isn't good enough haha but I'm sure that's just my insecurities talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.