X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMPixy

Yeah, what'd the pay be like at XCOM, anyway?

In classic XCOM, pay for soldiers was 40k USD up front and 20k USD every month (both tax-free, from what I've heard). So, assuming similar money scaling (though soldier expenses don't show up on finance screen, so maybe being held in reserve in case XCOM goes pear-shaped and money is useless/being paid by home country?), a soldier would get half their hiring cost for wages, so 5-10 credits per month.

Dragonivon

Yeah, what'd the pay be like at XCOM, anyway?

XCOM soldiers get paid in blood, tears, and pain. Also genetic modifications and secondhand MEC suits for some. There is some concern about soldiers continually taking alien body parts as well, and as anyone who watches CommanderOdd's tendency to have clearance sales on alien bodies knows there is a market out there for all that junk.

Last edited:

UnevenRanger

$20,000 a month... on the off chance they survive the invasion X-COM troops are going to be very well looked after haha

Even if you say the invasion only lasted 6 months (average length of my original xcom games), that's $120,000 plus the forty grand sign up bonus ... Not bad ... I'd volunteer

Connorcj

Ontop of the pay during the invasion I doubt every one would be sent home afterwards. Xcom could become permanent thing.

Adrammalech

If the earlier theory in this thread happened, that Earth would revert to "civ stage" - everyone warring for plasma weapons and elerium - it wouldn't surprise me if XCOM branched off with or without the council and used their stocks in a "national superpower" capacity to keep the peace. Even if X country managed to scrape up some alien corpses and plasma weapons, they'll think twice about landgrabbing when you might have MECs and crazy bastards with two hearts dropping onto your army.

Dragonivon

If the earlier theory in this thread happened, that Earth would revert to "civ stage" - everyone warring for plasma weapons and elerium - it wouldn't surprise me if XCOM branched off with or without the council and used their stocks in a "national superpower" capacity to keep the peace. Even if X country managed to scrape up some alien corpses and plasma weapons, they'll think twice about landgrabbing when you might have MECs and crazy bastards with two hearts dropping onto your army.

And in this Civ stage one major concern is how to deal with the criminal element that would rise swiftly in such a dystopian future of rebuilding after the massacre of law enforcement personnel across the world. If only there were a head of a criminal organization that was able to work in conjunction with XCOM to keep other criminals in check to allow the rebuilding to happen more smoothly. Of course this would mean that XCOM would be elevating this criminal head to an interesting level of status of legitimacy in the public eye as well as likely have to grant a great number of concessions in terms of finance and punishment to allow it to grow as they would prefer. But of course, XCOM doesn't have anyone with those kinds of contacts since they are a completely above-the-board and straight arrow organization, right?

*Zhang cackles with anticipation as his plans come together*

UnevenRanger

And in this Civ stage one major concern is how to deal with the criminal element that would rise swiftly in such a dystopian future of rebuilding after the massacre of law enforcement personnel across the world. If only there were a head of a criminal organization that was able to work in conjunction with XCOM to keep other criminals in check to allow the rebuilding to happen more smoothly. Of course this would mean that XCOM would be elevating this criminal head to an interesting level of status of legitimacy in the public eye as well as likely have to grant a great number of concessions in terms of finance and punishment to allow it to grow as they would prefer. But of course, XCOM doesn't have anyone with those kinds of contacts since they are a completely above-the-board and straight arrow organization, right?

*Zhang cackles with anticipation as his plans come together*

I prefer the way XSGCOM dealt with the after war technology boost, basically without an alien threat to fight, the UN refused to continue funding XCOM either cutting it off completely or severely cutting the budget. So the sneaky accountants and legal teams in XCOM formed a corporation. MarSec, based in the Sectoid base on Mars, which owned the rights to all alien technology XCOM had taken/reverse engineered. That way they could control which countries got what, giving the countries more incentive to keep funding XCOM and keep on their good side haha

*Hmm... England's getting a bit too powerful, best let the Americans get a few more Plasma Rifles*

Status
Not open for further replies.