X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anuvis11

Well, we've officially lost one of the "Fantastic Four." When you're basing a story off a LP and RP, there is NO plot armor. I have a question for Suryce. May I use the loss Robinson experienced when she found out a childhood friend died, and give her a slight death wish for this part? I fell it would just fit perfectly.

Suryce

Game Master
I've never Seen a Muton Dropped on that Mission Before though, Is that something exclusive to Impossible Difficulty?

Sarge-pepper said:
It happened on my classic runthrough.

Maybe it's because the mission happens later in the game since Portent comes first in Enemy Within? And even more so, the first Council mission came very late.

Anuvis11 said:
Well, we've officially lost one of the "Fantastic Four." When you're basing a story off a LP and RP, there is NO plot armor. I have a question for Suryce. May I use the loss Robinson experienced when she found out a childhood friend died, and give her a slight death wish for this part? I fell it would just fit perfectly.

Hmm...
No, sorry, this just wouldn't be in-character.

Let's clear a few things about that event. Rebecca's being dead is kind of good since now I'm free to explain things about her that I had purposefully made subtle in my journals.
First off, Rebecca didn't lose one childhood friend, she lost all of them. I never decided on a precise number, but Rebecca's home, the "Ranch", was inhabited by something like at least a hundred individuals, who had various relationships with Rebecca. Most of them were considered family.
Secondly, I never directly showed it, but... Rebecca had a mental breakdown over learning about the destruction of the Ranch and the death of almost everybody living there. Her whole reason for living, her raison d'être, had collapsed. So in order to restore her mental stability, she quickly reverted back to the selfish personality she had as a child soldier before teaming up with anyone. She had become once again what she calls "a beast", an individual that has nothing to lose and live for battle.

So no, that event didn't made Rebecca suicidal, just very selfish. On the contrary, in any life-threatening situation, she would cling to her life out of simple stubbornness and her desire to continue whatever fight she is currently engaged in. So if she could have done anything to prevent her death, she would have done so.

If anybody want to see a clear example of difference between Before-Breakdown-Rebecca and After-Rebecca in the journals, there is her opinion on potentially losing her limbs: Before-Rebecca finds the idea very scary and threatening to her mental health, but After-Rebecca doesn't give a shit anymore.

Last edited:

Anuvis11

Maybe it's because the mission happens later in the game since Portent comes first in Enemy Within? And even more so, the first Council mission came very late.

Hmm...
No, sorry, this just wouldn't be in-character.

Let's clear a few things about that event. Rebecca's being dead is kind of good since now I'm free to explain things about her that I had purposefully made subtle in my journals.
First off, Rebecca didn't lose one childhood friend, she lost all of them. I never decided on a precise number, but Rebecca's home, the "Ranch", was inhabited by something like at least a hundred individuals, who had various relationships with Rebecca. Most of them were considered family.
Secondly, I never directly showed it, but... Rebecca had a mental breakdown over learning about the destruction of the Ranch and the death of almost everybody living there. Her whole reason for living, her raison d'être, had collapsed. So in order to restore her mental stability, she quickly reverted back to the selfish personality she had as a child soldier before teaming up with anyone. She had become once again what she calls "a beast", an individual that has nothing to lose and live for battle.

So no, that event didn't made Rebecca suicidal, just very selfish. On the contrary, in any life-threatening situation, she would cling to her life out of simple stubbornness and her desire to continue whatever fight she is currently engaged in. So if she could have done anything to prevent her death, she would have done so.
This works just as well. All I wanted was a significant deterioration of her start of story character. I did notice the hints you were giving about her return to the "Black Dog." I enjoyed that development greatly. Thanks for the input. If anyone else has something they think I should know about their character please tell me. I appreciate the advice. It lets me know you care.:p

I had a thought: as the new assault coming in is the reward for this abduction mission, how is his/her background different than the usual hired for 5 credits recruits? Has he/she already been fighting the aliens with a different group and now will be joining with XCOM?

Hokucho

I'm not surprised everyone is so attatched to the RP and it's players. This is a huge demoralizing blow to the X-Com project and it's players both.

Suryce

Game Master
This works just as well. All I wanted was a significant deterioration of her start of story character. I did notice the hints you were giving about her return to the "Black Dog." I enjoyed that development greatly. Thanks for the input. If anyone else has something they think I should know about their character please tell me. I appreciate the advice. It lets me know you care.:p

I'm glad you liked it :D
For a moment I was afraid I had been too subtle with this development and just made it hard to understand... And now it makes me want to test something. Here's a little quizz for anyone who has read Rebecca's journals and feels like answering: what is her sexual orientation?
Like the breakdown, I didn't directly revealed it but I left some hints here and there. To be honest, I don't expect anyone to find out, but maybe you can surprise me. :D

Also, I have decide to indeed do one last RP entry (I will probably post it near the end of the week to let everybody do their mourning as they see fit), and among other things, it's probably going to include one big final hint on the subject of Rebecca's sexuality. As for the bonus I talked about earlier, I will only post it afterwards, since it's basically a making-of of the character and it reveals everything clearly.

Gahlo

For a moment I was afraid I had been too subtle with this development and just made it hard to understand... And now it makes me want to test something. Here's a little quizz for anyone who has read Rebecca's journals and feels like answering: what is her sexual orientation?
Like the breakdown, I didn't directly revealed it but I left some hints here and there. To be honest, I don't expect anyone to find out, but maybe you can surprise me. :D

Also, I have decide to indeed do one last RP entry (I will probably post it near the end of the week to let everybody do their mourning as they see fit), and among other things, it's probably going to include one big final hint on the subject of Rebecca's sexuality. As for the bonus I talked about earlier, I will only post it afterwards, since it's basically a making-of of the character and it reveals everything clearly.
Without going back and rereading, I felt she cared more about content of character then what somebody was. I felt there was a very blunt hint, but wasn't sure if it was due to reading comprehension or issues with pronouns.

Gahlo

I'm not surprised everyone is so attatched to the RP and it's players. This is a huge demoralizing blow to the X-Com project and it's players both.
The more social a character is, the worse it gets. It's bad enough in real life that a person's presence is taken for granted, but it' even worse in a situation like this where interaction delay can make something that literally takes 5 minutes irl takes days to finish. Plans are made, but RNG seeds don't care.

Last edited:

Anuvis11

I'm gonna play it safe and say she's bi. That's my guess.

Suryce

Game Master
Actually, it's entirely wrong. :D Rebecca is not hetero, neither homo nor bi.
Okay so, the thing is, you actually have to be at least a little knowledgeable about sexuality and think out of the box to guess the right answer. That's why I said I didn't expect anybody to find out. I guess I will have to reveal it myself soon enough :p

PrinceZarek

Actually, it's entirely wrong. :D Rebecca is not hetero, neither homo nor bi.
Okay so, the thing is, you actually have to be at least a little knowledgeable about sexuality and think out of the box to guess the right answer. That's why I said I didn't expect anybody to find out. I guess I will have to reveal it myself soon enough :p
Hmm, my guess is she's asexual or pansexual.

Status
Not open for further replies.