X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
First, I want to thank Chris for allowing me to be part of this role-play. This is my first huge RP, and I'm glad to have made many friends here on GLG. I was somewhat of a newbie here, as I found Chris' channel through Enemy Within, so I was apprehensive when it came to creating a character. I was honored to be chosen, not only as one of the "Home Team" but as the first MEC Trooper.

Now, this is where my advice (with a tinge of criticism) comes into play. The reason why I said I wasn't surprised I was KIA was because of how the MEC was used in battle. Full disclosure, I've never played Ironman Impossible. Also, this criticism isn't because I'm mad that Lamarque died, its the reasons behind it.The MEC isn't a tank, it can't take on pods of enemies, its main purpose is to be used as a support unit, not as a (for lack of appropriate term) "bullet sponge". It has a ZERO defense, so standing right in the open just tempts fate. The MEC was constantly out of commission because of this. Personally, whenever I move a MEC out into the open, I toss a smoke grenade so it has some semblance of defense. I know this wasn't an option on the last mission, but its a good idea for future missions.

I was already working on a character for Season 5, someone quite different than Lamarque. Expect my final journal this Friday. I find a tragic irony in the fact that Lamarque was born on Canadian soil and died on it. I also find it ironic that I asked for a color change for my MEC (more like constantly pestered) but once the new MEC was built... super badass black MEC... (nothing against our newest MEC Trooper)

my reaction

I hope that Season 4 doesn't end prematurely, I think there is still a slim chance that it can be turned around. I just can't wait for the Long War mod though, that'll bring so much to the role-play. I can't wait for the eventual Season 5.

PS I added my Gamertag and my PSN to my signature (which is the same as my name here and on Steam) if anyone wants to add me. If your PSN/Gamertag is quite different than your username here, just send a message saying "hey, its so-and-so from GLG'

PPS "Active Member" title get!
Very nice to be honest I am new here also and this has been a wonderful expirence even though I was barely used. There are wonderful people and talented writers here which I am glad to be apart of. Hopefully I get into season 5because even though I am down I am NOT out.

Frostlich1228

I also find it ironic that I asked for a color change for my MEC (more like constantly pestered) but once the new MEC was built... super badass black MEC... (nothing against our newest MEC Trooper)

Aww The Yellow Wasn't That bad! I think it looked good on you :3

and Grats for Active :p

JuliaMaluca

Just uploaded my diary. That was tough, after RosenOx5's entry I couldn't think of ANYTHING that wouldn't sound stupid and shallow. You really got to me there!

Dahlexpert

So the next mission will be the transponder mission.Hopefully the aliens didn't invent magic plasma bullets,or x-ray vision like they did last season.

Blue08

Honestly Christopher you have made some mistakes but this one with Lemarque, there was nothing you could do. The chance for the Muton to critical was 10% or 20%, and it did the full 9 damage it needed so that was real bad luck. I guess the good thing is this is the first MEC he has ever lost. R.I.P Lemarque. Richard I wish you luck. HOME team will survive.

Last edited:

Blue08

First, I want to thank Chris for allowing me to be part of this role-play. This is my first huge RP, and I'm glad to have made many friends here on GLG. I was somewhat of a newbie here, as I found Chris' channel through Enemy Within, so I was apprehensive when it came to creating a character. I was honored to be chosen, not only as one of the "Home Team" but as the first MEC Trooper.

Now, this is where my advice (with a tinge of criticism) comes into play. The reason why I said I wasn't surprised I was KIA was because of how the MEC was used in battle. Full disclosure, I've never played Ironman Impossible. Also, this criticism isn't because I'm mad that Lamarque died, its the reasons behind it.The MEC isn't a tank, it can't take on pods of enemies, its main purpose is to be used as a support unit, not as a (for lack of a correct term) "bullet sponge". It has ZERO defense, so standing right in the open just tempts fate. The MEC was constantly out of commission because of this. Personally, whenever I move a MEC out into the open, I toss a smoke grenade so it has some semblance of defense. I know this wasn't an option on the last mission, but its a good idea for future missions.

I was already working on a character for Season 5, someone quite different than Lamarque. Expect my final journal this Friday. I find a tragic irony in the fact that Lamarque was born on Canadian soil and died on it. I also find it ironic that I asked for a color change for my MEC (more like constantly pestered) but once the new MEC was built... super badass black MEC... (nothing against our newest MEC Trooper)

my reaction

I hope that Season 4 doesn't end prematurely, I think there is still a slim chance that it can be turned around. I just can't wait for the Long War mod though, that'll bring so much to the role-play. I can't wait for the eventual Season 5.

PS I added my Gamertag and my PSN to my signature (which is the same as my name here and on Steam) if anyone wants to add me. If your PSN/Gamertag is quite different than your username here, just send a message saying "hey, its so-and-so from GLG'

PPS "Active Member" title get!
My Reaction to Lemarque dying... *FacePalm. Worst luck ever.

Dragonivon

Or the aliens decide to attempt the tactic known as 'Close Air Support'. With a Battleship.

And we return to The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
4. Close air support covereth a multitude of sins.
5. Close air support and friendly fire should be easier to tell apart.
Though considering it's Gangplank, them bombing us with mutons should be terrifying enough.

Blue08

How is Odd going to do againts things like Mechtoids and other things that have crap aim. In the mission where Lemarque died, Sectoids were hitting Largo in full cover. Full cover gives Sectoids a 25% or 35% aim. What is to become of this series. Oh dear. Good Luck Commander...

PrinceZarek

I'll give a brief synopsis of what I had planned for Lamarque after X-COM. This is written under the assumption I was the only MEC Trooper (since Meld supplies were always low, and MECs take a lot of Meld to fully upgrade) Also I was going to kill off his remaining family members as the war dragged on until only his sister Cecile (a scientist at CERN) was left.

Lamarque and the MEC would be sought after by the surviving world powers. X-COM would try to keep the peace and make sure that a nation wouldn't try to use its plasma weapon stockpiles and other new technologies to takeover neighboring countries. Lamarque would be hidden from the public while engineers and scientists study him and his cybernetics. Eventually, he would no longer feel like he was being treated as a war hero, more like a guinea pig. He gets fed up and resigns from X-COM. He meets one of his "seedier" contacts (this possibly could be Zhang, if he and Lamarque became friends), who puts him in touch with rogue elements of the scientific community. He gives them the basics of how his cybernetics work and blueprints for a MEC (which would be useless for them because X-COM is the primary source of Meld, though there is a black market for it) In exchange, they create for him an entirely new cybernetic body (think of Raiden from Metal Gear Solid) He would become a mercenary once more, freeing oppressed peoples worldwide. He'd also aid X-COM in settling any conflicts that might occur. Lamarque would create an alias to hide himself from the general public. The only people who knew his real identity would be his sister and the higher ups at X-COM. He'd become a symbol of hope in a world that was plunged into despair.

Last edited:

Vlakvark

I too can't wait for season 5, I'm ready to throw my hat back in the ring and hopefully get in. Although, while I mean to try again with something more true to my original concept (what I posted for my season 4 application was a pretty badly watered down version) I'm just hoping it doesn't come across as a "hyper badass 90's anti-hero" or some other lame "darker and edgier" anti-hero because I wanted the character to be a subversion of that, someone who's very badly off due to the horrible things they've done. Also hoping to not offend anybody, as a lot of my character's original backstory relies on pretty recent (unsavory) South African history. Poisoning Namibian refugees, killing anti-apartheid activists, bombing schools, etc.

Lamarque and the MEC would be sought after by the surviving world powers. X-COM would try to keep the peace and make sure that a nation wouldn't try to use its plasma weapon stockpiles and other new technologies to takeover neighboring countries. Lamarque would be hidden from the public while engineers and scientists study him and his cybernetics. Eventually, he would no longer feel like he was being treated as a war hero, more like a guinea pig. He gets fed up and resigns from X-COM. He meets one of his "seedier" contacts (this possibly could be Zhang, if he and Lamarque became friends), who puts him in touch with rogue elements of the scientific community. He gives them the basics of how his cybernetics work and blueprints for a MEC (which we would be useless for them because X-COM is the primary source of Meld, though there is a black market for it) In exchange, they create him a entirely new cybernetic body (think of Raiden from Metal Gear Solid) He would become a mercenary once more, freeing oppressed peoples worldwide. He'd also aid X-COM in settling any conflicts that might occur. Lamarque would create an alias to hide himself from the general public. The only people who knew his real identity would be his sister and the higher ups at X-COM. He'd become a symbol of hope in a world that was plunged into despair.

Man, now I'm actually really sad that you got wasted. I would've enjoyed reading that.

In fact, that really goes for everyone in Season 4 as a whole. I hope Chris can start swinging some decisive victories now that he's got some heavier firepower, because I've really been enjoying reading everyone's journals and seeing how the story unfolds.

PrinceZarek

I'm glad you liked it. It would've been awesome to flush it out more as the war progressed. I hope next season I'll be selected as well, though I don't think that would be fair to everyone else who were passed over this time.

On a different note, I changed my avatar to a character who is a minor influence I'm drawing from for my eventual Season 5 character. I won't say who he is, because I want it to be a surprise, but if you do know, you'll have a hint at least ;)

Last edited:

UltimaNamir

I guess itll be good and bad if the season end prematurly. Bad cause its barely just started. Good cause it means season five will come out sooner. Still hope it doesnt get canned though.

BMPixy

I expect season 4 to end the way season 2 did,on a battle ship.

I think thatcould be a very likely conclusion...

HERESY! *BLAM!*

Though in all honesty, I still hold hope for this season. Even if Chris has gotten several great RPers killed, or if this is in fact one of two seasons I can recall that has had a Code Black (didn't see much of S3, can't say), or even with the fact that the Slingshot DLC is about to hit the portion where it performs anal bypass surgery, I believe that we can pull through. Perform the impossible, observe the invisible, grapple the untouchable, shatter the unbreakable, row row, you know the rest.

UltimaNamir

HERESY! *BLAM!*

Though in all honesty, I still hold hope for this season. Even if Chris has gotten several great RPers killed, or if this is in fact one of two seasons I can recall that has had a Code Black (didn't see much of S3, can't say), or even with the fact that the Slingshot DLC is about to hit the portion where it performs anal bypass surgery, I believe that we can pull through. Perform the impossible, observe the invisible, grapple the untouchable, shatter the unbreakable, row row, you know the rest.
Nicely put. I believe all of us have a deep hope that Chris is able to pull it off. I definetly do cause I want in on this RP :p

Status
Not open for further replies.