X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrismaCube

we are his most loyal rp'er we write the best stories and co-op's we stick through til the end even when our character dies. Not choosing all of us right here right now would just be low. I mean ofcourse there should be new people accepted and mixed in but a 100% garente should be put on us vetrans.

Zain Shah

Season 3 was my first rp and it was a really fun hobby I had writing journals but season 4 didn't have that same fun factor and I hope that season 5 is more like 3 and that I get picked obviously :D

Dahlexpert

I'm also loyal,and I do enjoy every season i'm in. I love writing characters and seeing my character interact with every one else character,and making stores that even I can't make up in my head.And I hope that I get in to season five,if not then ill just keep thinking about other characters.

Suryce

Game Master
we are his most loyal rp'er we write the best stories and co-op's we stick through til the end even when our character dies. Not choosing all of us right here right now would just be low. I mean ofcourse there should be new people accepted and mixed in but a 100% garente should be put on us vetrans.

I don't think anybody should be favored for their "loyalty". There are many people interested in participating to the RP, as previous recruitment sessions have shown, and everybody should be given a fair and equal chance to get in. I'm not against keeping an eye on the percentage of veterans versus newcomers, but in my opinion it should be influenced in a way that makes sure there are a good number of newcomers in, rather than to advantage people who already had a run.

Like last season, let the most convincing characters be chosen! :D
After all, the whole point of that new mode of selection was to encourage people to make good characters and to reward efforts in the writing. Go work on your character rather than using such manner of persuasion.

Frostlich1228

I don't think anybody should be favored for their "loyalty". There are many people interested in participating to the RP, as previous recruitment sessions have shown, and everybody should be given a fair and equal chance to get in. I'm not against keeping an eye on the percentage of veterans versus newcomers, but in my opinion it should be influenced in a way that makes sure there are a good number of newcomers in, rather than to advantage people who already had a run.

After all, the whole point of that new mode of selection was to encourage people to make good characters and to reward efforts in the writing. Go work on your character rather than using such manner of persuasion.

I May have been around awhile, but I don't really want to get Special Treatment if my character turns out to be lackluster like he was in Season 4, I had to look back on Mellik and when I did I realized that there was a lot I could've done to make him more interesting.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member

Special Treatment, no. But there is something to be said for keeping veterans around for the sake of the RP itself. After all, a lot of veterans were passed over in season four, and lets face it, the RP kinda fell apart, to the point in which Odd was thinking of dropping it all together, and that's a shame. I don't want to be chosen for my loyalty because I think it should give me special treatment. I think my loyalty should get me in because I've proven in the past that I will post, that I like to post, and that I love to RP with the new people of the season. After all, Frostlich was the only one I'd had experience with before season 3. Everyone else I was regularly writing posts with (which, by my count, was about six or seven people) where all people I didn't know, but was open to working with.

So I don't want to get in for reasons of favoritism (and if my exclusion from season 4 is an indication, there is no favoritism), I want to get in because I'd be an active member. Newcomers are important, but are ultimately pointless if there aren't a healthy supply of regulars who will encourage them to write and keep things going.

Suryce

Game Master
Ah, I see, that's a point I can agree with. I remember having proposed to replace the people who were inactive last season to make some place to more active ones, but my main motivation was because of the overall lack of activity due to the rules being too strict on the number of participants.
My opinion is the same as back then: people stopping the roleplay midway for whatever reason (which can be just as well due to an external and out-of-control factor for the person) is bound to happen, at least a few each season, and I think it really becomes a problem only if the overall number of participants is already low and is thus easily influenced in its activity by absences.
The priority I think should be to assure that the rules allow for a good number of participants (while keeping the limit of posts at some level to prevent a flood of posts), it would resolve both the matters of activity and of providing as much places as possible to people. Then, during the season, we can improvise depending on how things evolve and if adjustments seem necessary.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Ah, I see, that's a point I can agree with. I remember having proposed to replace the people who were inactive last season to make some place to more active ones, but my main motivation was because of the overall lack of activity due to the rules being too strict on the number of participants.
My opinion is the same as back then: people stopping the roleplay midway for whatever reason (which can be just as well due to an external and out-of-control factor for the person) is bound to happen, at least a few each season, and I think it really becomes a problem only if the overall number of participants is already low and is thus easily influenced in its activity by absences.
The priority I think should be to assure that the rules allow for a good number of participants (while keeping the limit of posts at some level to prevent a flood of posts), it would resolve both the matters of activity and of providing as much places as possible to people. Then, during the season, we can improvise depending on how things evolve and if adjustments seem necessary.
I don't feel the rules were "bad", per se, as the were well intentioned to be sure, I just think they went a little over board. Limiting who can post and how often they can post helps keeps the volume down for people who have trouble keeping up, but by limiting posts to one a week, it cripples the amount interaction RPers can have together, as they are more worried about getting their personal logs out there and thus can't do joint posts, which I thought were some of the best posts in past seasons, and by limiting the posts to active soldiers "on base", it meant that people who were excited about being chosen would lose interest when they had nothing to do until weeks or even months into the LP. I'm not sure what the proper balance is, but I think some of the restrictions should be loosened up next season, at least a little bit.

Suryce

Game Master
My suggestion for the rules would be, whether it's vanilla game or Long War mod, to start the season with 30 to 35 people, who are allowed to post twice per week. This way the maximum average number of posts per day possible would be 10. In the short run, we shouldn't have too much of a flood, and in the long run, absences would hopefully be compensated enough by the recruitment of new soldiers and DLC characters.

In terms of personnel division, this start would include around 24 soldiers (In Long War, they would all be in-game from the start. No "IG soldiers only" rule for vanilla), and a bit less than 10 extras (2 scientists, 2 engies, Vahlen, Shen, Bradford, and one or two potential new roles invented for the occasion).

Last edited:

Zain Shah

I felt like most season 4 rpers were actually chosen for their writing skill (which were amazing) however they weren't as confident with roleplaying therefore there weren't any serious relationships amongst them.

Suryce

Game Master
Me, I rather disagree with the idea that there was no strong relationship between the characters. First off, it's an unfair judgement to make since the season was cut off early. Secondly, it left me personally with the opposite impression: I don't know for anybody else, but I was crawling under the collaborative posts most weeks, and my character had already established a very meaningful connection with Prince-Zarek's character.

So, I cannot see how this season was underwhelming in terms of relationships compared to the others, especially if we compare what can be compared. Also, I would like to know why strong relationships between the characters are necessarily that important (this is not a rhetorical question).
What I don't follow either is how this relates to the writing ability of the roleplayers or their shyness (or those two factors with each other). I'm a shy person, I was more or less a newbie with season 4, my writing style is decent I guess, and despite all those factors, everything went perfectly well for me in terms of collaborative activity, as already stated above. So, again, I really don't get what's the problem here. Did anyone had troubles setting up collaborative posts during season 4?

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Me, I rather disagree with the idea that there was no strong relationship between the characters. First off, it's an unfair judgement to make since the season was cut off early. Secondly, it left me personally with the opposite impression: I don't know for anybody else, but I was crawling under the collaborative posts most weeks, and my character had already established a very meaningful connection with Prince-Zarek's character.

So, I cannot see how this season was underwhelming in terms of relationships compared to the others, especially if we compare what can be compared. Also, I would like to know why strong relationships between the characters are necessarily that important (this is not a rhetorical question).
What I don't follow either is how this relates to the writing ability of the roleplayers or their shyness (or those two factors with each other). I'm a shy person, I was more or less a newbie with season 4, my writing style is decent I guess, and despite all those factors, everything went perfectly well for me in terms of collaborative activity, as already stated above. So, again, I really don't get what's the problem here. Did anyone had troubles setting up collaborative posts during season 4?

If people want to go solo, that's fine, there have been some great posts from people that did their own thing. I just felt that collaborative posts made things interesting, and I felt that the posting limit meant people might have to turn down what could have been great collabs.

No one said that those chosen were lacking in any writing skills, only that some individuals who had already shown they could write were simply passed over despite what they could have brought to the table. There have been plenty of RPers that weren't the best writers but still had great stories that kept me interested. How well the participants of season four wrote was never in question, it was simply the amount of participation in general. I'm glad to see you had a positive experience, I truly am, but you cannot deny that participation was lacking, to the point where some people didn't even try. I hate to sound like a broken record, but season four was the only season where Odd actually proposed dropping the RP in it's entirety, and if that happened, season five might have been out of the question. And while there is some truth to the fact that the season was cut off too early to judge too harshly, we can compare it to season two which was cut off at nearly the same point.

As far as shyness goes, I'm just speaking from experience. I'm probably one of the most reserved people you'll ever find, and even online, I was rather timid. If it had not been for other people who were willing to give me a chance, I'd never have had the confidence after season two to keep going. I hope to get a chance to RP with them again, as well as everyone from season five who put in a lot of effort, yourself included.

Last edited:

Frostlich1228

As far as shyness goes, I'm just speaking from experience. I'm probably one of the most reserved people you'll ever find, and even online, I was rather timid. If it had not been for other people who were willing to give me a chance, I'd never have had the confidence after season two to keep going. I hope to get a chance to RP with them again, as well as everyone from season five who put in a lot of effort, yourself included.

Same Here Zombie, You were Actually the first person to talk about my Character in Season 2 if you Recall and that really gave me the confidence to keep posting :3

Status
Not open for further replies.