X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahlexpert

As far as shyness goes, I'm just speaking from experience. I'm probably one of the most reserved people you'll ever find, and even online, I was rather timid. If it had not been for other people who were willing to give me a chance, I'd never have had the confidence after season two to keep going. I hope to get a chance to RP with them again, as well as everyone from season five who put in a lot of effort, yourself included.

If you wanna talk about shyness, I came in the middle of season 2,I came in when every one wrote a lot of journals a lot of good journals for that matter, And I was over whelm and I annoyed another zombie.(Which Zombieslayer has not been season since season 2). But season 2 I hade no idea what I was doing and I was embraced a lot.

Then came season 3, were I hade the help of Zombiesplitter Frostlich Prismacube and a bunch of others ,that made me feel more comfortable about doing this more, and game me the confidence to keep doing this.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Same Here Zombie, You were Actually the first person to talk about my Character in Season 2 if you Recall and that really gave me the confidence to keep posting :3
I'm glad I could help. That's one of the funnest things about this, knowing I'm entertaining others. I'm a people pleaser, for better or for worse (usually worse, but that's neither here nor there), and I gain my happiness through the joy I bring to others, which is why during season three, I was up to my eyeballs in half a dozen collabs, like Attila the Hun and Alexander the Great where in the Phlegethon, just...you know, without the mass-murder. I just want everyone to have fun. That's why I enjoy GMing games and making sure everyone enjoys themselves, even if, as the GM, I hold their puny mortal lives in my hands and can dick around with them if I so choose. "Oh, what's that? You don't like waiting for me to watch you make all those tens you keep rolling one after another? BOOM! Zombie just bust through the wall, chowin' on your brains, too bad, so sad."......again, without the murder, I swear.

But then I see so many spots going to people that never post, some not even once, and I'm thinking, "Come on, let me in, I'll post. I'd enjoy it." And that, my dear colleagues, is why I'll have my fingers crossed until season five comes out, hoping I get in.

Frostlich1228

I'm glad I could help. That's one of the funnest things about this, knowing I'm entertaining others. I'm a people pleaser, for better or for worse (usually worse, but that's neither here nor there), and I gain my happiness through the joy I bring to others, which is why during season three, I was up to my eyeballs in half a dozen collabs, like Attila the Hun and Alexander the Great where in the Phlegethon, just...you know, without the mass-murder. I just want everyone to have fun. That's why I enjoy GMing games and making sure everyone enjoys themselves, even if, as the GM, I hold their puny mortal lives in my hands and can dick around with them if I so choose. "Oh, what's that? You don't like waiting for me to watch you make all those tens you keep rolling one after another? BOOM! Zombie just bust through the wall, chowin' on your brains, too bad, so sad."......again, without the murder, I swear.

But then I see so many spots going to people that never post, some not even once, and I'm thinking, "Come on, let me in, I'll post. I'd enjoy it." And that, my dear colleagues, is why I'll have my fingers crossed until season five comes out, hoping I get in.

It just wouldn't be the same without you :D

Suryce

Game Master
I didn't meant to say anybody had bad writing skills, on the contrary. I was trying to understand Zain's point who seems to link together good writers and lack of relationships between the characters, which makes no sense to me on several levels (I guess my own post was ambiguous, maybe I shouldn't have wrote it at 2 am). I would like him to elaborate (especially if he thinks there is a problem somewhere), but meanwhile, I'm guessing he meant to imply that most of those good writers, selected for their ability and not their experience, were newcomers and thus they weren't used to the collaboration thing, and that's where I quoted my own experience that contradicts this idea*. And if I'm still guessing correctly, where he is getting at with this train of thoughts, is that a good number of veterans are needed in a season to ensure theses relationships. An idea I don't agree with either for the reasons following below.

* It was more detailed in the first draft of my post, and maybe it would've been clearer if I had left it. In a nutshell, before the season started, I was worried about myself not daring to seek collaborations and my character ending up a loner (I'm much more shy than one may imagine when looking at my posts here), but when the moment came, I did dared, and plenty of people were also asking me for collaborations the other way around, so it ended up being a non-problem.

At some point, I was actually involved in so much collaborations that I was getting tired of it. Managing my RP character almost felt like work sometimes because people were asking things of me and I had to pay some time to it every day of the week to get it finished on time. Hence, why I also asked if collaborations are that essential. Interactions between the characters sometimes produce great stuff, but for me a good writer is justly so someone who can make a character that can stand fine on its own. Also, new writers who aren't used to this system of collaborations could just as well bring something completely new to the table. I don't see why we should try to ensure that a new season is exactly the same as the previous ones.

As I can see from what has been posted since my previous message, my experience seems vastly different from most people, but I think it's worth wondering about those questions before taking their answers for granted.

Zain Shah

I do retract some of what I said but in my perspective, the solo written journal entries and applications were overall better done in general but there are other factors at work such as many soldiers died quickly and the one post rule also limited role-playing. This is not me saying that aren't good role-players but I am saying that their writing skills are top-notch which made the solo entries seem better articulated.

PrismaCube

Guy's I need your help, from everybody. I have made an application for Lüsett and I improved it now and again over the couple of months. I need you to tell me what you think about it, what's wrong and good about it. What could be improved and maybe even some story suggestion's. I'm putting a ton of effort into this, so I want it to be good. Now if you do not want to spoil yourself about the application I can understand however I do not think it will spoil much for the Journals that I will be posting in Season 5. So the Application will be of Records of the Exalt family and Lüsett that were optained after the Exalt Base raid, since we all know that it will happend no matter what I thought It would be a good way to start and interact with the Commander, since at the start of the game I doubt that the Commander would know all about Exalt.

Now for Frostlich, I know that I included your Idea of Cross Technologies in here without your premission, but do not worry they're only placeholder for idea's I had, I will contact you sometime later (couple of months) to go over it. I do not want to change your idea's I only want to work with them.

To anyone else who has a great idea that could fit in with Exalt, contact me tell me your idea and I will see if we can work it in somehow. Since I will not be interacting with any of you personally in Season 5 other than Dahlexpert who will be my so to say secret Agent. I would still like to somehow have a story with you that is together, like Dahlexpert's and mine (Agent and Commander) or Frostlich and mine (Father and my Character are good aquinteces).

Alright enough of that here it is. Remeber it is a Draft, a lot could change. (Edited: I know some thing's might no make sence, like at the end, but just remeber those are draft idea's holder :p I WILL change them)

EXALT SUBJECT ZERO
Name: Lüsett Exalt
Nationality: American
Hair Color: Brunette
Eye Color: Genetically Enhanced (Lizard Eyed Yellow)
Height: 5,8 ft
Weight: 56.8 kg

"Commander this is all the information we could find out about Subject Zero also known by the name of "Lüsett (Lucette) Exalt and the Orgin of her family. After the raid on the Exalt Base. Even though we did no capture or eliminate the Leader of Exalt, it will take a long time for them to come out of hiding, however we have foiled their Foul planns for now and they shoudn't be a problem anymore, so we should get back to the Alien attack's. It might be that Exalt will take year's to recover. We also have several Journals and Viedio Tapes of Subject Zero send to your room that you can go over anytime you wish. The other artifacts from Exalt are yours to do as you wish Commander, I would recommend selling them, the records could be worth a fortune."

EXALT FAMILY TIMELINE:
"He who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -Septimus Visellius Exalt 634BC-599BC

634BC-599BC: Septimus Visellius Exalt
Septimus Exalt was the start of the Exalt family, so to say the Alpha, we have little information about his family, other than the origin of the Exalt family, which started in Ancient Athens. Back then Septimus's family was poor and lived on the street's. However Septimus was a smart man and through his invention's he moved up in society. His most famous invention would be the creation of the Roman Democracy, which he invented three year's after moving to Rome and living the luxury life. He died five year's later forgottan and only to be remebered through lost scrolls. His family however continued not all living up to his name.

351BC-274BC: Statia Luccia Exalt
Young and smart girl, she lived a long and succesful life. Travelling with her lover Demetrius Phalereus and only to be remeberd by scrolls in the Ancient Libary of Alexandria. After Demetrius was exiled to Upper Egypt he died shortly. Statia lived the next couple of years alone bearing one son. Uppon his birth she died, leaving the son to be adopted by the Inn keeper who owned the Inn where she gave birth. But what did she even achive in her life? Demetrius was the inventor and founder of the Ancient Libary of Alexandria, or so it was said. We have records from the Exalt's that Ancient Journals from Statia indicate sketches and notes about the Libary and even the first records of the idea of a Bank System, it could be that she was the original founder of the Libary, yet being a woman in that time, there was no real glory to her for those inventions.

200BC-149BC: (NAME) (DATE TO BE CHANGED TO MAKE SENCE WITH REAL LIFE HISTORICAL INVNETION'S ((GALAIAO))!!!
Created the first telescope and something with start and theories about other life forms

149BC-500AD: Exalt Family
Here we have Exalt family member records of only normal people life. Merchants, thief, smith's and traverlers. None of the members did anything great to leave a huge mark in the Exalt family history.

502AD-548AD:Jane Elisabeth Exalt
Jane Exalt who was born around the 5th Century in the city of Vienna, she was said to have played a great role in the invention of many early medieval weapons, which weapons exactly are unknown, but later on around the late 14th Century many of her idea's were improved and created which later on became to be known as the Zweihänder and crossbow, even something similar to the trebuchet and the idea of the first hand arm fire arms were all written/sketched down, some records indicate that Leonardo da Vinci later on came to pick up many of these ideas and improve them.

550AD-1500AD: Exalt Family (To be filled)
Here the Exalt family was a huge cap missing, However we do know that the family was part of the Frech Revolution, Founding of the Holy Roman Empier, Voyage to the New World (English side)

Mark Daniel Exalt: (Helping Founder of the Manhatten Project, Starting idea of Cross Technology with a good friend. ((If alright with Frost)))

Naomi Gertrude Exalt: (Globilization and United Nations and Cross Technologies Helping Founder((If alright with Frost)))

Subject Zero (Lüsett Franzine Exalt): 1983-20**
Subject Zero's birth name is Lüsett, she is the latest member born into the Rich Exalt family. The Exalt family always carried smart and ambitious members. Lüsett was one of the most ambitious we have know so far. She helped in the advancement of cloning animals, thanks to her it was possible to clone human organs which helped the medical educational system and health care across the world by a leap of several years advancement. Rumors say she possesses plans for the cure of Cancer, but then again they are just rumors. Lüsett also created the first self learning Virtual Intelligence, which have helped human advancement for robotics by several years, also the VI is still new and slow, it is here and now which we could have only dreamed about until a thousand years later. Even the 3D holographic were invented by her, which we our self are using for our 3D holographic Globe that keeps us informed of the Aliens attack's. So it is to be expected that she also has this kind of technology available. Some call her the "da Vinci" of our time. We have tried to make contact with her to help us against the alien invasion, she was to be the Lead Scientist, yet we do not know where she is ever since the attack it seems like she disappeared from the face of earth, seems suspicious. We have however got Dr. Vahlen now who should be a suitable and loyal replacement for Lüsett. It seems that Lüsett and the rest of the Exalt family have always reached for the starts and tried to communicate with Aliens, now that they are here who knows what her plans with them are, we do have records of her being called insane sometimes, she appeared to be always talks about the weak and easily manipulation of the human mind and body, we believe she possible seeks to enhance the Human to great strengths with the technology of these aliens, we might want to consider taking this plan and use it for our soldiers, if we manage to find something that increases the Human's mind and flesh without giving up their own humanity. I should also inform you Commander that old scientific Reports also say that Lüsett preformed experiments on many volunteers who have died and turned into abominations by her failure to genetically enhance the human, it seems although she has a great mind she lacks the material to use.

-To be edited-
At a young age Lüsett was smart for her age, it did not take long for her to pass school and head straight for high school where even there she passed in months what others take two to three years to learn. By the age of 15 Lüsett passed Collage going down in history as youngest college grad. that ever was. People saw potential in her, yet Lüsett preferred to work alone.

In her teenage years Lüsett started to invent, most of her inventions were made public, like the 3D Hologram, but other like the self learning VI was never released to public.

It is unknown where she lives many have tried to find her only to turn up with failure. It is belived that Lüsett has technology that can hide her location unless you have technology of a similar device it is almost impossible to fine her.

Lüsett is believed to know more than 34 languages, of course all international languages are included such as English, French, German, Chinese, and even Latin, yes she managed to learn how to speak a dead language, how did she manage it I do not know, but some believe that the Exalt family has excited through centuries counting as far back as the Greek ages. Surely she must have a ton of books from her family heirlooms. To the rest of her family we have no information. You could almost say that Lüsett doesn't have one.
Now at the age of 32 Lüsett took the alien encounter into her favor, taking their technology to her own advantage, changing the human race in hope to soon overthrow them with the help of this alien Invasion.

Last edited:

Frostlich1228

Guy's I need your help, from everybody. I have made an application for Lüsett and I improved it now and again over the couple of months. I need you to tell me what you think about it, what's wrong and good about it. What could be improved and maybe even some story suggestion's. I'm putting a ton of effort into this, so I want it to be good. Now if you do not want to spoil yourself about the application I can understand however I do not think it will spoil much for the Journals that I will be posting in Season 5. So the Application will be of Records of the Exalt family and Lüsett that were optained after the Exalt Base raid, since we all know that it will happend no matter what I thought It would be a good way to start and interact with the Commander, since at the start of the game I doubt that the Commander would know all about Exalt.

Now for Frostlich, I know that I included your Idea of Cross Technologies in here without your premission, but do not worry they're only placeholder for idea's I had, I will contact you sometime later (couple of months) to go over it. I do not want to change your idea's I only want to work with them.

To anyone else who has a great idea that could fit in with Exalt, contact me tell me your idea and I will see if we can work it in somehow. Since I will not be interacting with any of you personally in Season 5 other than Dahlexpert who will be my so to say secret Agent. I would still like to somehow have a story with you that is together, like Dahlexpert's and mine (Agent and Commander) or Frostlich and mine (Father and my Character are good aquinteces).

Alright enough of that here it is. Remeber it is a Draft, a lot could change. (Edited: I know some thing's might no make sence, like at the end, but just remeber those are draft idea's holder :p I WILL change them)

I like it a lot, And I'm okay with you using Cross Technologies :)

Dahlexpert

Now I love the family history, even it going all the way to ancient times.

On another not I'm cool the cloning idea with you cloning my character.

PrismaCube

Now I love the family history, even it going all the way to ancient times.

On another not I'm cool the cloning idea with you cloning my character.

Sorry but I do not understand the second part :p

you are cool with the cloneing

or

you are not cool with the cloneing?

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member

If you are open to critiques, I do have one or two. Overall, it all looks interesting, and having EXALT's name being the family name of it's creator is a good idea. But the impression that I got from this is that the Exalt name is one of the most well known in the world. Someone in X-COM not knowing who Lüsett is would be like someone in S.T.A.R.S. not knowing what Umbrella, Inc. is. So, once X-COM is directly challenged by an organization with the same name as one of the most well known scientist in the world, they use her technology, and she is one of the few people with the assets to fund EXALT (Bruce Wayne is Batman!), if I was in charge of X-COM, the first thing I would do is use X-COM's massive international influence to seize all of Lüsett's assets, close down all of her businesses, and have armed soldiers smashing down the doors of any home, friend's home, factories, and favorite restaurants she might be hiding at. This doesn't mean you have to change her fame, but you should deffinatly come up with something to explain this so it doesn't become a loop hole.

PrismaCube

If you are open to critiques, I do have one or two. Overall, it all looks interesting, and having EXALT's name being the family name of it's creator is a good idea. But the impression that I got from this is that the Exalt name is one of the most well known in the world. Someone in X-COM not knowing who Lüsett is would be like someone in S.T.A.R.S. not knowing what Umbrella, Inc. is. So, once X-COM is directly challenged by an organization with the same name as one of the most well known scientist in the world, they use her technology, and she is one of the few people with the assets to fund EXALT (Bruce Wayne is Batman!), if I was in charge of X-COM, the first thing I would do is use X-COM's massive international influence to seize all of Lüsett's assets, close down all of her businesses, and have armed soldiers smashing down the doors of any home, friend's home, factories, and favorite restaurants she might be hiding at. This doesn't mean you have to change her fame, but you should deffinatly come up with something to explain this so it doesn't become a loop hole.

Oh I like that thank you, well what I thought of is that all of the Exalt family usally stay hidden and work with others to publish their work. Here I would have Frostlich's Cross Technology, technically they work together secretly, and some of the stuff they release would be from Lüsett, but under their name, so noone will know that its from EXALT. I do want Lüsett to be all secret hush hush and such. The part where the people in X-COM state that the technology is from her will be edited. I'm technically trying to make it so that the reason why X-COM know all of this is because after the Base Raid, there were lot's of item that could be sold and such, including some journals that the Leader (Lüsett) had to leave behind in order to escape (hence no leader being in the base). Hope that clears it more, I just didn't write it in probearbly. But still thank you, I love critiques, help me improve.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Oh I like that thank you, well what I thought of is that all of the Exalt family usally stay hidden and work with others to publish their work. Here I would have Frostlich's Cross Technology, technically they work together secretly, and some of the stuff they release would be from Lüsett, but under their name, so noone will know that its from EXALT. I do want Lüsett to be all secret hush hush and such. The part where the people in X-COM state that the technology is from her will be edited. I'm technically trying to make it so that the reason why X-COM know all of this is because after the Base Raid, there were lot's of item that could be sold and such, including some journals that the Leader (Lüsett) had to leave behind in order to escape (hence no leader being in the base). Hope that clears it more, I just didn't write it in probearbly. But still thank you, I love critiques, help me improve.
I see. I do like the idea of going over all that stuff you get after the final mission. I always hated how the game just says, "Here's some stuff you can sell or whatever," and then forgets about EXALT. The first time I played Enemy Within, I was expecting one final desperation attack before the final mother ship mission, where the last of EXALT is wiped out, but it never happens. Believe me, any closure you try to offer after EXALT's defeat would be welcomed by me.

I was hoping to add a small part to my character at the beginning of the RP about how she was pursued for scientific recuitment by EXALT before ultimately going with X-COM. I hope you and I can go over how Lüsett might go about this so I can match it to how you will have EXALT operate, whenever you have time. Maybe we can even tie it in with that project I mentioned earlier involving Jessica's memories.

PrismaCube

I see. I do like the idea of going over all that stuff you get after the final mission. I always hated how the game just says, "Here's some stuff you can sell or whatever," and then forgets about EXALT. The first time I played Enemy Within, I was expecting one final desperation attack before the final mother ship mission, where the last of EXALT is wiped out, but it never happens. Believe me, any closure you try to offer after EXALT's defeat would be welcomed by me.

I was hoping to add a small part to my character at the beginning of the RP about how she was pursued for scientific recuitment by EXALT before ultimately going with X-COM. I hope you and I can go over how Lüsett might go about this so I can match it to how you will have EXALT operate, whenever you have time. Maybe we can even tie it in with that project I mentioned earlier involving Jessica's memories.

Yeah I totaly know what you mean, I was so excited about EXALT and the final mission, was expecting some ending story to it all and then this let down. Not even an exalt leader, total letdown almost rushed out to statisfy fan's want's in a cheap way.

And yeah that idea sounds good, just hit me up with a chat and we can discuss that further.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
we are his most loyal rp'er we write the best stories and co-op's we stick through til the end even when our character dies. Not choosing all of us right here right now would just be low. I mean ofcourse there should be new people accepted and mixed in but a 100% garente should be put on us vetrans.
I would agree but I feel it should be 100% be decided by the persons writing. I love the community that I am apart of and there are a lot of talented people here. Thats just my opinion.

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member

Wow...Just Wow

MarineAvenger

Operator 21O
Staff member
(Note this is my personal experience and opinions.)
I have never done something like this. When I was first writing my recruitment application and watching the recruitment video I had no hope of getting in. Then, when my name and my characters popped up I was ecstatic. Here I was a timid 15 year old freshman doing my first "official" writing on the internet. I met a lot of great writers who I loved reading and (hoped) I had made friends with. However I couldn't help but feel useless in the prospect of rp and action wise. I felt under the radar. So I have spent the past couple of months developing my character(s) in hope that doesn't happen. I have high hopes for the next season.
(By the way if it interests anybody I could post my rough draft of the character on here)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
(Note this is my personal experience and opinions.)
I have never done something like this. When I was first writing my recruitment application and watching the recruitment video I had no hope of getting in. Then, when my name and my characters popped up I was ecstatic. Here I was a timid 15 year old freshman doing my first "official" writing on the internet. I met a lot of great writers who I loved reading and (hoped) I had made friends with. However I couldn't help but feel useless in the prospect of rp and action wise. I felt under the radar. So I have spent the past couple of months developing my character(s) in hope that doesn't happen. I have high hopes for the next season.
(By the way if it interests anybody I could post my rough draft of the character on here)
Good to hear you're working at it. I hope to see you in season five 5 (and I hope to be there with you).

Taxor_the_First

...I do want Lüsett to be all secret hush hush and such..
At first I was a bit concerned as to how I'd manage to get the Overseer to not immediately go "Yo X-COM, y'know this scientist person Exalt? Yeah. Better kill her or something."
But I have an idea. In the words of Bain, "You'll see what I mean. I think you'll like it."

... I'm over dramatizing this. Really simple, really. Miscommunication. Transcription errors. That's it. After all, the aliens are messing everything up, official and unofficial. Who has time to proofread emails? Not the Overseer. No, he's too busy coordinating actual surveillance.
Sum and total - he might know something's up, but he's going to get it wrong. Hoo buddy, is he going to get it wrong.
Enter EXALT, stage right.

At some point, I was actually involved in so much collaborations that I was getting tired of it...
I have a headache, so this may sound a little angry/ranty/narky. It's not supposed to be, trust me.

I'm with you on this one. Collabs are fine, they can add a lot, but they aren't essential. A good character can develop without the meddling of other people, in the right hands.
However, never underestimate the power of interaction. Collabs, maybe not, but a character kinda has to interact with someone, otherwise your RP is going to consist only of recounts of missions and personal logs where they talk about themselves and basically twiddle their thumbs. If you don't want to/can't/whatever do collabs, then NPC's are pretty much essential. Interaction in an RP is, IMO, pretty much the whole point of it. In a regular short story, such things are not nearly as important. Hell, you might not even have a character at all.
But this is an RP. A Role-Play. You gotta play your role. What's the point in trying to add your piece to an already established storyline if you're going to be xenophobic (Ha.)? It's then basically trying to play multiplayer as if it were singleplayer and then ignoring everything everyone else does to support the team. You lose most of your effectiveness.

Sum and total - If you wanna be a loner outside of the RP, then that's your prerogative. Do what you want. But don't do it inside of the RP. I think it's self-limiting. Collabs = nonessential, interaction = damn near essential. The quality of writing only suffers when you end up with a character who is a total loner, and only then because you've got jack-all to write about.
That's only my opinion based on my own ability and preferences, though. Others are different. Apologies if I sounded like I was berating or ranting, not trying to.

Status
Not open for further replies.