Hunters of Terra Dolor (Role Playing Section)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Good, Evil, & Corruption
Part Two

"I don't see why not then..." The corrupted Elf replied. "As lot as their isn't too much pain, you may do what you wish to it."

Eliza giggled, and lightly but into his arm, biting deep enough to draw blood. "Oh, dear." Erin bit her lip. "Sorry. I didn't think she wanted to do that to anyone but Betty."

Zulik winced at the pain, but was relatively fine. "No need to worry, I have a high pain tolerance."

Eliza suddenly yanked her head back, a revolted look on her face. "Ugh! Rmh ni gejv nhr oepg fbeed? Jmihy, jmihy!"(7)

"Oh, I know that word!" Erin said. "Fe-bee-ad. It means blood. She is saying something about you blood. Maybe... she doesn't like it."

"It is possible that something is wrong with it..." Zulik noted as he placed a hand on his chin, thinking. "Did you notice anything off about it during your blood testing?"

"Only that you sitilin levels are really high," Erin answered. "Sitilin is an enzyme in your blood that assists with the movement of magical energy throughout your body. It is possible that the corruption is so ingrained in you, it has corrupted your very blood. Um... note to self, safely dispose of Zulik's blood samples later..."

"Coo-up-tion?" Eliza gave the pair a curious look and climbed on to the back of Zulik's chair, pulling his head back so he looked into her eyes. "Rmh ni coo-up-tion?"

Rmh ni... that must by there version of what is... The corrupted elf thought, having heard the words in multiple questions. "Corruption... it's complicated. There are some creatures in this world that are good... some that are evil. Some of these creatures have a magical ability to infect other creatures, making them good or evil depending on the creature in question. This process is referred to as Corruption: the ability to change the physical and mental shape of a creature through magical tampering."

Eliza scratched her head. "Ma-gic... tamper..." She jumped down and circled around to his front. "Veed eg lwnb... good eg evil." She pointed at his arm where she bit him. "Coo-up-tion?" She point at his face. "Evil?"

"Physically, yes, I am Evil..." Zulik answered. "But, the corruption has yet to touch my mind... I am the same person I was before I became this."

"In fact, Zulik here gobbles up bad corruption and makes things better. See?" Erin opened the container she had to show Eliza a golden ring with a dark purple tinge. The demon girl put her hand over it, but quickly pulled it away at the feeling of the dark energy. Erin then offered it to Zulik. "If you would?"

Zulik reached into the container and grabbed the ring. After a few seconds of holding it in his hand, the purple tinge on the ring began to fade. At the same time, his wounds slowly began to heal from the corrupted energy.

"Oooooh." Eliza crawled onto his lap. Her movements were akin to a curious monkey. She tapped the ring lightly. Feeling no pain, she snatched it and jumped to the floor, examining it. "Coo-up-tion vejl?"(8) Eliza reached up and put the ring on one of her horns. With a laugh, she pointed at the ring. "Good..." she then pointed at Zulik's hand. "...evil..." Finally, she pointed at his face. "...good."

Zulik chuckled. "Soon, you will learn how to be good as well."

"Good?" She pointed at herself, and looked up at Erin.

Erin nodded. "That is what we are hoping for, dear." She looked at the ring, reaching out. "Can I possibly get that..."

Eliza snarled and snapped at her, jumping and gripping the sides of some shelves. "Nh ni angl! N veh nh zgea coo-up-tion amj! Vlh oepg eg!"(9)

Erin laughed nervously. "Well, it... is still a work in process."

"It looks like she's starting to get used to speaking Doloran as well..." Zulik pointed out. "Anything is possible if you put time and effort into it."

Erin nodded. "I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that. Oh!" She moved down to his leg once more. "I nearly forgot why you were here. How is you feeling now?"

"Like it was brand new." The priest replied, standing up. "Though, I don't think it'll work again, if what you said was true."

"Just a theory. It might still heal you, just not increase your percentage. We would have to try with another to find out." Erin gave him a smirk. "If you want, the next time I get something small, like another ring, we can have Eliza punch you in the face then see if it heals you."

"I'd prefer to avoid that if possible." Zulik remarked. "I'm not willing to have a black eye should it doesn't work."

"Well, I will look for something more corrupted just in case." She wagged her finger. "Though you did say you learned you lesson, so I hope not to see you a lot more over injuries.”

"I promise that I won't injure myself anymore..." Zulik assured the Rabbit mage. "Though, I can't promise anything on missions."

"And if there is anything they can't heal for you, I'll be here." Erin vowed her head. "Anything to keep my favorite research subject healthy." She glanced at Eliza. "Well... second favorite."

Zulik turned and began walking towards the door. "It was nice talking to you again, Erin... and it was nice meeting you, Eliza."

Erin bowed her head once more. "Have a good day." Eliza dropped down, mimicking Erin's motion. As he walked out, Erin nodded towards the back. “Alright, little one. Back to your meal.” Eliza growled. “Eat it all up, and I’ll tell Amam how good you’re being.” Eliza blinked a few times, then quickly rushed to the back. The rabbit witch sighed. “Wonder how long that little motivator will work.” Taking a deep breath, she sat down, pulled out a pad of paper and a quill, and started writing some notes.

‘Demon Subject 001, also known as Eliza, has shown a remarkable amount of growth in a short time. In less than a week, she has grown a quarter of a foot, her horns have shortened, and her hair and skin color are shifting hues. Mentally, her vocabulary seems to have grown by leaps and bounds, and she has become at least partially fluent in Doloran, seemingly just from hearing people speak it, though she either struggles to speak it, or chooses not to. Most recently, and new unintentional but fruitful lesson has shown that she may have a concept of right and wrong, or is at least developing one. Whether she is the only one or all demons have a twisted one and Eliza’s attitude is a case of nurture over nature will require further testing.’ Erin looked around the lab and sighed. ‘Regardless, I hope to further develop my ability to control her more violent and hot tempered aspects. If I can prove to Lady Havenbrook, and myself, that she can be trusted around other people, perhaps I can one day soon take her out of the labs. This will both be beneficial for my research-” Something crashed in the back, Eliza yelling loudly and angrily. '-and stop Eliza from developing cabin fever and destroying my lab.’

(7) Ugh! What is wrong with your blood? Nasty, nasty!
(8) Coo-up-tion gone?
(9) It is mine! I got it from coo-up-tion man! Get your own!

Last edited:

ExoGrim

ExoGrim and Black0ut: Stubbornness and Tomfoolery

Titania’s Grove was silent, the Wolf Thrope not there to brighten it up. The animals in the grove seemed hesitant to sing their cheery songs, as a Light Elf strode into the grove, conjuring vast amounts of water to soak the plants, and provide them additional water, but not enough to kill any of them. After a few minutes of walking and making sure he got every plant, Jay sat down on the path to the training grounds, and began to eat the lunch he had brought with him.

Arlia entered the grove moments later. She examined the plants and the soil, noting the increase in water. The assassin noticed the Light Elf sitting near the training grounds. “Hey, Jay right? How are you doing?”

Jay, turning around, looked at the assassin and remembered the encounter where he first met her. “Hi.” he gruffly murmured, eyeing her warily even though he was being as friendly as he could.

Noticing Jay’s caution, Arlia sighed. “You don’t have to worry about me killing you… Titania helped me find my real self.”

“Uh-huh… still doesn't ease any of my concerns. Regardless, what are you doing here?” The Light Elf asked, several water orbs appearing and floating around the two, with one briefly enveloping Arlia’s hair.

“I was looking for Titania…” Arlia responded, tense by the sudden magic forming around them. “I’ve been teaching her how to use chi and we were going to meet today for that training.”

More water orbs began swarming Arlia to the point where nearly her entire body was encased in the water and with nearly no effort, she was lifted into the air. “Chi… what is that? Some kind of magic?”

Arlia became more and more panicky, being obvious by the slight terror on her face.

The water started to gently rock her back and forth, the Light Elf being oblivious to the what his magic was doing. Sighing with irritation at her lack of a response, he called back, having already turned away from her, “Human… please answer. It’s kinda rude if you don’t.”

Arlia’s panic began to take control of her actions… as the Light Elf faded into Malder. The assassin, furious at the illusion of her damaged mind, slashed frantically at the water in order to break the spells effects.

“What’s- oh. Sorry.” The watery prison dropped slowly to the ground, releasing its captive on the ground, separating into the various orbs that had formed it. “So… um… mind answering, Human?”

Arlia glared at Jay for a moment, shaking uncontrollably. After a moment, her vision restored to his reality and she looked down at the blade that was now in her hand. She immediately sheathed the blade and said. “I am so sorry… I don’t know what happened there.”

“Well, I don’t really either, besides the fact that my magic was holding you for some reason.” Jay replied, as he continued to munch on his food, making sure to keep an eye on the assassin.

“Again, I’m sorry.” Arlia continued. “It felt like I was on the battlefield again and I don’t know what came over me.”

“Battlefield? You were a soldier?” The Light Elf asked, slowly taking his staff out.

Noticing the mage reaching for his weapon, Arlia hastily placed her hand on her katana. “Don’t you even dare…” the assassin stated in a threatening tone.

“Don’t I what? Get up? Human… you do realize I have permanent wounds right?” Jay replied, raising an eyebrow as he struggled to get up.

“And yet you can pull out your weapon without a issue.” The princess noted venomously. “Do you really think you can fool me?”

“Why are Humans so blind they can’t see the truth even if it is right in front of them?” Jay murmured, finally getting up. “Yet I can conjure magic without my staff. So, if I really wanted to hurt you, I’d just attack without my staff. Human, are you so gullible to paranoia that you can’t distinguish friend from foe?”

Arlia looked at Jay for a bit, unsure of what to do. Suddenly, a massive throbbing built up in her head. She held it with her free hand… a voice echoing in her head. Do you really know you can trust him? For all you know, he could be out to kill you.

Leaning on his staff, the Light Elf breathed heavily, the pain in his leg stronger today. “As much as I like people threatening to cut me down, I got to go and prepare a special surprise for Sylvie.” With that said, the Light Elf turned and began to try to hobble away, but crumpled to the ground instead.

Arlia made her way to the man’s side. “Are you okay?” she asked as she tried to help him to his feet.

Swatting at her hands gently, he struggled to get up, putting more strain on his staff. Eventually, he managed to get back up, only to have his staff make a snapping sound that sent him back to the ground. “Dammit…” He groaned, this time not making an effort to get up.

Arlia took the Elf’s arm and slung it over her shoulder. “Where is your room?”

“I can- owww - get back to my room. Just help me over to the manor.” Jay groaned, grimacing as Arlia helped him up.

“No, you can’t.” Arlia countered. “Just tell me where you’re room is and I can get you there without problem… you’re not as heavy as I thought you were.”

“No, I’m fine… just, oww, get me to the Manor’s front door and I'll be fine.” The Light Elf stubbornly replied.

“Must you be so stubborn?” Arlia remarked. “You obviously need medical attention, so if you’d prefer, I can take you to the infirmary instead.”

“Just… old pains. Nothing any magic user can do about it. Just- Dammit - just help me to the porch of the manor and I'll be fine.” Jay explained through gritted teeth.

Arlia sighed. “Just let me help you… it won’t take long. I can just get you to your room so can rest.”

Grumbling incoherently, Jay nodded in the brief moment between swearing because of his leg and grunting because of the sudden throbbing of his new chest wound.

Arlia nodded in return and helped the man to his room. “You have your key on you?”

As Arlia said this, the door opened with a water orb in the shape of a hand still holding the handle. “Don't need one…” Jay grunted, as several light orbs lifted and carried him to his bed.

Arlia watched the orbs carry the Light Elf to is bed. “You get some rest… okay?”

Water orbs formed into letters that read, “Yeah, yeah. Oh, Right. Titania’s looking for you.”

“Titania’s looking for me?” Arlia thought out loud, “I better find her then.”

ExoGrim

Stubbornness and Tomfoolery Part 2

Arlia’s search took her all over the manor until eventually she went outside and found a passed out Titania on the front porch. A sketch of all the Hunters that the wolf Thrope had met, lay on her arm. Upon closer inspection, only Arlia, Jay, Solomon, and Mina had their faces missing, various smudges marking her past screwups.

Arlia smiled at the sleeping Thrope. She lightly tapped Titania’s head. “Rise and shine, sleepy head.”

Titania opened her eyes lazily, and rolled over. “Five more minutes…” She murmured, not quite fully awake.

“You said you wanted to talk to me about something…” Arlia replied. “Is it something to do with this little drawing of yours?”

“Sleep… it calls me…” Titania groaned, still not fully awake.

Arlia crouched down and hugged the young Thrope. As she held Titania tightly, she whispered. “We can’t talk if you’re half asleep, now can we.”

“Ughh… fine, fine.” Titania muttered, blinking for a few moments in order to learn of her surrounding, before promptly hugging her friend back. “What did you want again?”

“Jay said you wanted to talk to me.” Arlia mentioned.

Titania stared blankly at Arlia, before realizing what she had wanted to ask in the first place. “Right, so, um, I think your teaching might have paid off a little bit.” Titania explained lamely, as she noticed her drawing, and tried to reach for it without Arlia noticing.

“Oh really?” The princess said with a hint of excitement. “Why don’t you show me?”

“Okay, um… here goes nothing.” Titania murmured, as she pulled away, paper in tow, and concentrate, before throwing a punch, much faster than she had been able to prior, and tried to repeat it with the same hand, but failed. “It doesn’t always work, but, uh, I can kinda do that fast hit thing you can do.”

“And practice make perfect.” Arlia reminded her Thrope friend. “Soon, you’ll be better at this than even I am.”

“I doubt it, but I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.” Titania replied, waving her hand at her friend in a bashful manner. “You know… I was wondering… could you hold still and look at me for a moment?”

“Is this for that drawing of yours.” Arlia asked with a smug grin. “I never knew you were such an artist.”

“U-umm… yeah… I picked it up, my t-talent, on the road a year ago. I just want to make sure I get your likeness down, just right, ‘cause I’ve tried and it never looks right, like it’s always off by the smallest things.” Titania answered, her voice taking on a more embarrassed tone.

Arlia chuckled. “I’d gladly help you make that picture the best it could be. Where exactly do you want me to sit for this picture?”

“Right where you are would be just fine.” Titania replied, a soft smile on her face.

Arlia remained sitting where she was, staying as still as she could for Titania to do her work.

The Wolf Thrope in question laid down and took out a piece of charcoal, that was styled so it’d be pointed, which she had hidden in her empty dagger sheathe. She continued her drawing, stopping every now and again, to reexamine Arlia’s face, and try to erase whatever didn’t work. Eventually, after only about ten minutes, Titania announced proudly, “Done!”, before reexamining her artwork. It had all the likeness of Arlia, but it showed the kindness that she also possessed. Titania held the paper out for Arlia, letting the assassin see what she had done.

Arlia smiled at the artwork presented to her. “It really does look like me… I love it.”

“Thank you. I’ve been trying to get better at something, so when we met again, and when I wasn’t upset anymore, I could show you something amazing.” Titania explained, as she pulled the picture back, but didn't fold it. “I’ll use this as a reference point from now on. I’ll try to get you a picture eventually, just so you have something from me.”

“I’m going to hold you to that.” Arlia teased. “You promise, right?”

“Absolutely. Besides, if I lie to you, what kind of sister would I be? Besides a sly and clever one?” Titania joked, offering a mischievous smile.

“You better be careful than.” Arlia gave her a similar smile. “You know what happens to liars in this family.”

“They become the new favorites?” Titania replied sarcastically, sitting down next to her friend and nudging her.

Arlia quickly placed Titania in a playful choke hold and messed up her hair. “No, they become the new playthings.”

“Oh, nooo… what ever shall I do?” Titania continued sarcastically, gently grappling with Arlia, so she could mess up her hair.

The two of them roughhoused and joked through the rest of the day, their bond getting ever stronger. Eventually, Arlia got tired and made her way to her room, passing out in the bed that was in it.

Black0ut

Black0ut and ZombieSplitter53 present:
First Impressions
Havenbrook Manor
Hallway Outside Erin's Lab
1:05 PM
March 13, 3349

Jay walked hesitantly towards Erin’s lab, having been prompted to by Titania. Why is it she always does things like that…? It doesn’t matter. I need to focus on making the best impression on Ms. Erin. Jay soon arrived at The Rabbit Thrope’s lab door, and knocked gently, trying not to startle her. “Ma’am? Is it alright if I could take a moment of your time, to talk?”

“Well, I am a tad busy, but if…” Erin looked up at her notes and smiled. “Ah. Jay, was it? How are you recovering from you… well, near death experience, as it were?”

“Fine, although… you were right in thinking my staff was going to break. So, I’m probably out of active duty until I can find a replacement. How are you doing? You seemed more shook up than I was.” Jay responded quietly, slight concern in his eyes.

“Yes, well… I have dealt with the death of enemies before. Even got used to inflicting it, which is unfortunately just one of those things that gets easy every time you do it. I just got lucky and never faced the possible death of a comrade in front of me until that day.” Erin took a deep breath. “Especially one that would have died… protecting me. Didn’t sit right.”

“Well, former slaves’ lives aren’t really worth much in this current day and age, but the head of research, in a guild that has been nothing but kind since my arrival, now that cannot be lost.” Jay replied, a smile, that didn’t quite reach the Light Elf’s eyes, taking hold.

Erin cleared her throat. “Well, um… I-I don’t… think that way, I hope you know. I don’t know what it is like, Jay. I would never be so bold as to think I could know. But I have a small idea. I’m a Thrope from Themosa. And it wasn’t always easy knowing that, with my family’s low social status, someday someone could snatch us up, move us to some other part of the country, and tell us someone owns us. I did what I could to speak out against the Thrope slaves in my country. I saw them as much of a person as I am. There is no reason I wouldn’t think the same about you.”

“Ah, but once you’ve been a slave for as long as I have, you become more inclined to believe the doctrine that they put in your head. And eventually, you come to hate the people who own you. Mine were Humans and Elves in Helvan. But until Titania rescued me, I thought all races were evil, except for Light Elves. The only thing that keeps me from going back into slavery is a small contract that Titania has. So… Yes, I do have every reason to be afraid of people I don’t know very well, and No, I shouldn’t have assumed. But it gets hard not to distrust people when I meet them.” Jay explained, his faux smile not quite disappearing, as a depressed look settled over the Light Elf’s face.

“So, what about now?” Erin stood up, holding her arms to her side. “Any trust for the people here? For Lady Havenbrook? Eraqus?” She shrugged. “Me?”

“Eraqus, no. Lady Havenbrook, yes. A couple Hunters have my trust, and as for you… you seem trustworthy enough. Enough that I want to learn some of what you know, and help out in your lab.” Jay answered confidently, his magic conjuring a slight glow to his false eye.

“Yes, your friend told me as much.” Erin looked around. “As odd as it may seem, I usually work in the big lab alone and deffer anyone new to the smaller lab. But, and note that it is not easy for me to admit this… my workload has been getting a little too high for me to handle, especially with the beginnings of a social life I am attempting. So… do you have experience with lab work?”

“...No, as I’ve had only four years to acquire knowledge that you’ve had access to your whole life, but I’m well-studied and will work myself ragged if given the chance.” Jay replied, his confidence fading slightly, but not fully.

“Well… most who come do have more experience. All the better I’ll be teaching you myself.” Erin rubbed her chin. “I noticed you had a book on that mission. Already starting to teach yourself to read? Not that I’m… I’m just assuming, with you being a slave your whole life, you… ahem, never learned before.”

“Y-yes… Titania didn’t have time to teach me as she searched for contracts that were small enough that a guild wouldn’t take it.” Jay answered, slouching slightly, “Although I can remember most of what I have learned. Titania says I have an eidetic memory, but unfortunately, it’s only semi-eidetic at best.”

“Semi is better than not at all. It means you will learn faster than most. Word of advice, dear, when you are in for a job interview, start with all of your good points, including that.” Erin looked around. “Well, as I said, I could use the help, I need to teach you personally, and while the others might not like the fact that I am taking the new guy in the main lab when they have been here for much longer… well, um… can you keep something between us?”

“I promise, lest I be shot by another crossbow bolt. Which I don’t want to repeat, so, yeah, I’ll keep whatever secret you entrust to me.” Jay promised, crossing his hand over his new scar.

“Well, between you and me, I can be a bit… picky about how I like things done. I wouldn’t call myself anal retentive… but others might. Everyone has their ways of doing things, and if they are different from mine, we’ll bump elbows. You, on the other hand, don’t have a way of doing things yet because you have yet to learn them. So, if I have someone with a clean slate, it’ll be a lot easier to get that extra work done and not get in each other’s way. A little… selfish, perhaps, but hey! Gets you in the main lab from the start, right?”

“Right. So, uh, seeing as you're my new superior, what do you want me to call you from now on?” Jay asked, his eyes taking a brief moment to scan over the room.

“Oh… right, um… when others are around, Miss or Ma’am will do, though despite my ego, I am not one for formality.” The rabbit woman smiled. “Between us, Erin is just fine.” She followed his eyes. “Would you like to start off with a brief tour?”

“I would love that. Thank you for your hospitality.” Jay replied, bowing his head down to the Rabbit Thrope.

“Oh… such courtesy. That will get you far with me.” She walked along the lab, pointing out things and occasionally stopping by them to explain. “This is one of the main experiment tables. Note that all of them have at least a small water basin. Water is very helpful. Cleaning, neutralizing, and so much more. Here are the various chemical compounds I work with. Luckily, their colors vary so you can use that until you are better with the labels. Just don’t touch any of the ones I don’t ask for. Some can be toxic, some get be explosive. Of on this shelf we have all of the various magic stones, charged with the different elements. The darker and the lighter ones have Chaos and Celestial magic in them. Note that it is harder to get those then the others, hence the lesser number of them. Anything in a case needs to be handled with care. The rest are safe to touch by hand. Following along alright, dear?”

“Water is useful, learn the chemicals’ names and be careful of them, be careful for the rarer magical stones as there aren’t many of them. Anything in a case needs to be handled with care. I think so.” Jay murmured, his eyes flicking over to every item as he listed it off.

“Very good.” She stopped in front of a large, bronze object shaped like a pot. “This… gaudy looking thing with the fake jewels is our alchemy pot. Not the most attractive thing in the world, but a wonder, I assure you. It can do simple alchemy all on its own. Just pop in two or more things you need combined, and give it a bit to work on them. Very useful since… ahem.” She laughed nervously. “Alchemy is one of the few… very few magics I never got a… handle… on…” Wishing to change the subject, she quickly said, “Oh! Very important.” She walked over to a chest. “See this big, scary looking red X with the little skull under it. This is the label for anything that has been corrupted. I use them to study the nature of corruption and find ways to hasten the dispersion of corrupted energy, all in the hopes of one day making the process of restoring corrupted ley lines a lot faster. I have special handling materials for these. Never touch them with your bare hands. Inside here is a very fancy, very nice looking staff, but grabbing hold of it would be like grabbing a hunk of very, very cold ice. Water corruption and all.”

Black0ut

First Impressions, cont.

“That… that would be very tempting, but I’ll adhere to your words of wisdom. That, and if I touch I’m afraid I’ll look like Zulik. Be kinda cool if it worked like that, but… sorry. I’ll make sure to follow your rules.” Jay replied sheepishly, still taking an interested look at the staff.

“Well, there is no need to be ashamed of being interested. I’ll start working on it next, if you’d like. I’ve been focusing so much on Chaos corruption lately, I’ve neglected the other kinds. If I get it clean, you are welcome to it. Too bad I don’t have a water version of Zulik to just suck out the corruption.” She smiled at him. “Who knows? Maybe it formally being corrupted will enhance your water magic.”

Jay stared at it for a lot longer, as several orbs of water floated to make a water-y gauntlet. “Perhaps… perhaps… I wonder… do you think by making an effective Gauntlet out of the same material, do you think…? That maybe the corruption won’t affect me?” Jay asked, his curiosity piqued.

Erin tapped her lips. “I am not sure. Though the theory is sound. It would be dangerous to handle, but even more dangerous for enemy that was stuck by it. Like an ice rod.” She couldn’t help her usual smile of curiosity. “If you were willing to lead the field experiment, I’ll have Edminfar make you that gauntlet.”

“I would definitely be willing to be the guinea pig in this scenario. And, uh, I’ll compensate you for the cost, seeing as it was my suggestion.” Jay replied, looking ever more sheepish.

Erin shook her head. “You will be doing an experiment for me. Your compensation will be the staff.” She let out a small laugh. “You… you do realize you’ll be paid for working down here, right? Just like any other job.”

Jay’s face turned a bright red, “Yeah… no. I’ve never had a job beyond Hunter so… I didn’t know I’d be getting paid for working for you… umm… I-I just thought my payment would be knowledge from you.”

“Well, you thought wrong.” The long eared witch shrugged. “I know this is hard. Your mind set is fixed thanks to your upbringing. But you’re not a slave anymore. You won’t be treated like one here. And I will do what I can to make you feel like that is the norm, not the previous mind set.” She looked around. “Come. There is one more… important thing I need to show you if you’ll be working down here.”

“As you wish, Miss Erin.” Jay replied, the water disappearing from his hand.

The pair walked to the back of the lab, through a doorway that led to Erin’s room. It was very neat and tidy, indicative of a woman that did not like anything out of place. In one corner, opposite of the one Erin slept in, was a second, slightly smaller bed, one that looked like room had been made to include. “This is where I… um, where we sleep.”

“We?” Jay questioned, as his gaze flitted to the two beds. “Ah. You have a kid, I assume?”

“In a… manner of speaking,” Erin answered, looking around the room. “Eliza? Where are you hiding?”
The demon girl crept along the ceiling above them and over the doorway, reaching out to touch Jay’s hair. “Ribbe?”

Jay felt his hair being played with and looked up. “Hi there… Eliza, was it? It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Jay greeted, not knowing what Eliza was, but knowing that this was the person Erin was referring to. He raised his hand up to Eliza, offering her a handshake.

Eliza dug her back claws into the wall so she could grasp his hand will both hers and rub it. “Plet-zure… meeting…”

Erin cleared her throat. “Eliza is a guest of ours, so to speak. Um… remember that demon egg you helped protect on its way here?”

“Demon… egg? Was that what we were carrying in the cart? Umm… well, Eliza, how have you enjoyed being in the lab?” Jay asked, his fear, confusion, and disorientation of the situation hitting him like a rampaging bull.

Eliza jumped down in front of him. “Nh iambb rlgl, mjd bmdo olbbi mbb hrl hnal. Mjh he ill amam. Mjh he ill ephindl.”

“I’m sorry… I don’t know what you’re saying. My Demon must be a little rusty.” Jay replied, offering an apologetic smile.

Erin sighed. “It just… occured to me that, perhaps, the more sensible thing to do would have been to tell you there is a demon in here before showing her to you. Um… s-sorry.”

“It’s fine. What’s in the past is in the past. What matters is what happens in the present. So, uh, I assume Eliza will probably enter the Lab occasionally?” Jay asked, reaching into his pocket and retrieving a piece of candy.

Erin nodded. “As much as I’d prefer her to stay hidden for now, she has proven to be a free spirit. Besides the two of us and Lady Havenbrook, only three other people know about her. I’m sure you can understand why we need to keep it that way for now.”

“Understood, Miss. I won’t tell another soul.” Jay responded, bending down to be eye level with Eliza. “I hope in the future you and I can be friends, Eliza. You seem like a nice person, just make sure to listen to Erin, okay?”

She looked up at Erin, then back at Jay. “Erin ni feiio.” She thought for a moment. “Erin… boo-sy. Loud. Uh… rmh ni egd? Push… pushy.”

“Yeah, I suppose Miss Erin can be a bit bossy and loud, maybe even a bit pushy at times, but I’m sure she loves you, and that most of it is out of concern. Heed her advice, okay? Even if it may sound like nagging, it’s because she truly wants the best for you. I’d even wager as long as you’re in her care, you're in safe hands.” Jay whispered, slightly worried that his new boss may of heard him, but hoping that his prodding would make Eliza listen more to the Thrope woman.

Eliza looked up at Erin again, and slowly nodded. “N nbb hgo… I try.”

Jay nodded, smiling, “That’s all any of us ask. Oh! And as a bit of a reward, here’s a piece of candy. I don’t know if you’ll like it or not, but here you go.” Jay held out his hand, with the candy sitting in his palm.

Eliza cautiously took it. “Rmh ni candy?”

“It’s a special kind of food.” Erin answered. “Try it.”

The demon girl look at it skeptically, but popped it in her mouth. After a few moments, she smiled ear to ear. “Candy good!”

“Well, I know I shouldn’t give you stuff… but I think as long as you’re being good and listening to Erin, I think she’ll let me give you more candy. Right, Erin?” Jay asked, raising an eyebrow as he turned his gaze to the Rabbit Thrope in question.

Erin smiled at him, her expression showing she was impressed. “Right. Thank you, Jay. I… think I am going to enjoy having you around.”

“I will enjoy being around here to work with you… and maybe to help take care of Eliza if you’ll let me.” Jay offered, a water orb, which resembled Jay smiling, appeared above his head.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Demons & Decorations

Havenbrook Manor/Guildhouse
March 14th, 3349
12:15 p.m.

"La lalala lala la la la!" Esmeralda sang to herself as she moved around the manor, putting up decorations of festive violets and yellows. She used her wind magic to gently float near the ceiling, reaching those hard to reach places.

"Why do you insist on doing this every single year?" Erin asked as she walked up, folding her arms.

"Why?" Esmeralda floated down, upside down, so she was eye level with Erin. "Because Lady Nichola's Day is in less then a week, and no one has decorated the mansion yet, silly!"

She floated up again, and Erin let out a scoff. "Not what I meant. Why do you feel the need to have the mansion decorated at all?"

The Light Elf gasped, flipping and floating down again. "Erin! Don't you have any sense of festivity? It was always a tradition back home to make everything look nice and bright and cute! Even my father cracked a smile or two around this time of the year."

Erin gave her a blank look, adjusting her glasses. "This is okay with Lady Havenbrook, right?"

"E-Yup! As long as neither I nor the decorations get in anyone's way!"

Erin let out a breath. "Right... well, did you get that information..."

Esmeralda gasped. "I nearly forgot! That is so unlike me. Come on!" She flipped and landed on her bare feet, grabbing Erin and running along with her.

"I am... not in... that much of a... hurry!" Erin cried out, barely able to stay in her feet.

"But you said how super, terribly, incredibly important it was!" Es rushed the two of them into the library and to her main desk. While Erin desperately tried to catch her breath, Es pulled out a few books and notes. "Here it is!"

The rabbit woman looked at all the material and said, "Well, um... you are ever the meticulous one, aren't you? But how about a brief summary? Like, for example, what was on the egg?"

"Well, it does indeed seem like it was writing." Esmeralda quickly paged through her notes. "The demon language is quite unusual and hard to understand, and there is such little information on it. For thousands of years, there has been very little communication between demons and the races of Terra Dolor, though there have been those that have been enslaved by demons, or have enslaved demons themselves, and learned a few words."

Erin nodded eagerly. "I see, I see. And is there enough information to translate what was on the egg?"

"Um..." Es shuffled through her notes. "Something about... a magical seal of protection... and one day rising to wage a bloody assault against... someone. The world, I guess." She shrugged. "Guess it was supposed to be some ticking time bomb. Good thing it'll never hatch, huh?"

Erin gave her a nervous smile. "Y-yeah... heh. Um... right, thank you, Esmeralda. I must be getting back..."

Es frowned. "All business and no play? It wouldn't kill you to talk with me..."

The rabbit woman sighed deeply, and sat back down. "Okay. What would you like to discuss?"

"Well..." The Light Elf looked around at the decorations she had put up. "What are you doing for Lady Nichola's Day? You get a gift for Betty yet?"

"A... gift?" Betty scratched her ear.

"Yes, a gift, silly." Esmeralda giggled. "I got Charter... oops!" She held a finger over her lips. "It's a secret. But I got him something he'll like. I even got Slone something. Don't tell me you forgot to get something."

"W-well, I... didn't so much forget, as... well, I have never bought a friend a gift. I had no money as a child... and no friends as an adult."

Esmeralda shook her head. "I'm your friend, goof. And so are many people here. You just have to, you know... pop outta that little rabbit hole every now and then for us to see you."

"Cheeky comparison." Erin's eyes darted about in thought. "What... should I buy her?"

"Well, that is up to you. I can't tell you. But why don't you take advantage of that new assistant you have..."

"...he is hardly ready to run the main lab after a single day..."

"...I'm sure he knows enough to not burn the lab down for a few hours." Es placed her hands on her hips and gave the Thrope a stern look. "Go to town, look at the shops. Ask around. Get inspired. And have some fun while you're doing it."

Erin nodded. "Very well, I shall do just that." She walked away, but paused to look back. "Thank you. Again you remind me you have a keen intellect below that... often insufferable cheer and fluff."

Esmeralda giggled. "I'll take that compliment." She waved goodbye, then let out a soft gasp. "I've been decorating so much, I forgot to wrap my presents!" She jumped away from her desk and took off towards her secret stash of presents.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Unexplainables Feelings

Office of Lady Havenbrook
March 14th, 3349
1:25 p.m.

"The new recruits are all showing promise. If they keep it up, we won't have anyone in need of being dropped next year," Eraqus explained.

"Mhmm," Mina said softly, facing away and staring out her window.

Eraqus cleared his throat. "Our team in Fairaven reported in. The rumors about the book are true. We'll have to... deal with that soon."

"Yup." Mina still didn't look back.

With an annoyed look, the Elf said, "One last thing. Me and some of the senior staff were thinking about summoning an Old One. It would require a blood ritual, of course. You don't mind if we use a few C-ranks, do you?"

"Just make sure you clean up after yourself," Mina responded in a bored tone. She slowly turned to look at him. "Are we done?"

"No," answered the frustrated man. "We need to talk about it."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Well, I do!" Eraqus snapped.

Mina tapped her fingers and against her desk and gave an unamused smile. "We just got the go ahead to take the officer off ice and cut him open. Erin is sure he was killed by magical means, based on my description of his death and the description of... the killer's powers as a child, but the doctor doesn't want to rule out toxicological means of death. We are waiting to hear if New Vento City still wants us to participate in the investigation. If and when we get the go ahead, we will start with a scouting party... led by myself. With you left in charge here while I'm gone."

"Leading... no you're not."

Mina chuckled. "Um... yes, I am."

"No, you're not. It is your job to stay here and lead, not put yourself in danger and put the Guild at risk of losing its leader."

"It is your job to assess the situation and advise me. I have taken your suggestions under advisement and have made my decision." Mina sighed. "This is personal. I'm going."

"But why is this so personal? That is the part I am not getting." Eraqus walked up to the desk and learned his hands against them. "Why are you putting yourself out there so much for some... leather faced serial killer you knew for less then a day?"

Mina needed a moment for that one, leaning back in her chair. "Honestly? I... I-I don't know. It's just..." She closed her eyes. "I was thirteen. It was a new city, I had no friends, and I was lost and all alone. I should have ended up either dead or locked up in someone's basement, waiting for my parents to pay my ransom. But this... this scrawny, starving, beat and burned kid who the world had done nothing but beat down stepped forth. He saved me. He sheltered me. He helped me get home. And he asked for nothing in return, even when I offered him everything."

She looked down, staring at the faded scars on her hands. "Do... do you have any idea how rare that level of selflessness is in this world? Could you say you would act the same? Because I can't. I... he tried to... to push on, after everything that happened. Look at me. The same thing happened to me, except I escaped my fire with my looks and my eyes in tact. I was technically better off. Yet I immediately fell away from my principles. I fought the injuries, trekked through that scorching desert, even survived..." She paused, pushing the painful memories aside. "I did it all, not because I was driven by justice. I was driven by the murderous impulse for revenge."

Eraqus looked at her with a sad glance. "None of that was your fault. And him turning into a killer isn't either."

"Maybe," Mina muttered. "But I... after I killed my uncle, I had you. I had Ed. I had the Guild to hold me together. For decades, he has had no one. Just more people spitting on him while he was down. I... I-I should have helped him. I should have forced him to come home with me." She shook her head and looked up at Eraqus. "I can't explain it. But I felt a connection to him. Something special. I... I don't expect you to understand... but..."

"Kara..."

Mina blinked. "What?"

"Kara Zerol." Eraqus sank into the chair opposite Mina and let out a long breath. "I was... I don't know, fifteen. Sixteen. I look down this alleyway, and these two guys around my age had a girl, also around my age, in this fancy dress with this fancy purse. Now... I was never any Dragon Scout. I did what I had to do to survive. But I never felt hurting people was something I had to do. I had this... I guess you could say twisted morality where I figured, as long as they looked like they could afford it and I didn't hurt them, it was okay to steal from someone. I had actually pulled a few pickpocketing jobs with those two boys. Thought we were on the same frame of mind. But here they were, roughing up this defenseless girl, robbing her for everything from her jewels to her shoes."

Mina smiled. "So you walked down that alleyway and kicked their asses, right?"

Eraqus laughed. "Yeah... yeah, no. No, not at all. There was two of them and one of me, and they were both much bigger then me. They kicked the crap outta me. Adding to it, my distraction gave the girl a chance to grab her stuff and run, so they hit even harder to take out their aggression. They... they beat me... and left me for dead." He stared forward solemnly. "Most people didn't see me. Some probably did, but... had trained their eyes to not notice the plight of some lowly street rat. I laid there for the longest time, slipping in and out of conciousness. When the pain was present, minutes felt like an eternity. When I was too numb to feel pain, hours passed in an instant. I... I just about gave up on people there. I thought... if I survived, I wouldn't be that soft again. I would join in, mug whoever I needed, then beat up the other muggers just to get their share. I... I wouldn't care about the world. Only myself."

"Sounds a bit like what has happened to Carth," Mina said softly. "What happened?"

Eraqus smiled softly. "Kara Zerol. That was the girl's name. I suddenly woke up, and felt better. I could breath without pain, I could feel my legs. I sat up, and looked around the alley, and saw the girl I had come to fight for. She had convinced a maid of hers, a Light Elf with remarkable Light magic, to sneak out of her home with her and come heal me. They saved my life... but all she could do is sob and tell me how sorry she was, and keep thanking me for saving her."

Mina smiled. "Tell me about her."

"Oh... beauty incarnate." Eraqus smiled wide as he recalled her. "Hair the color of snow, a rare treat for my people, which complimented her deep tanned skin. Perfect skin. A flat tummy, though she was constantly worried about eating something that might make her fat. She had these big, expressive eyes, a cute button nose, and... w-well, for a typical skinny Elf, she had... uh..."

Mina grinned. "A nice rack?"

Eraqus nodded. "Yes, that. For the next year or so, I saw her about a dozen more times. I would occasionally come to her home. She insisted on me coming over all the time, but I didn't want to impose. Or let her parents find out their rich, noble daughter was friends with a street punk. But I would occasionally be desperate for food or need an injury dealt with or... just feel lonely. She never acted like I was a bother, and we would end up chatting for as long as we could get away with. Sometime for hours."

Mina nodded. Her smile slowly faded. "What happened to the two of you?"

Eraqus needed a moment to compel himself to speak. "I... ran into her maid one day. Kara and her father fought all the time. She was... quite the defiant child. Another thing I liked about her. The maid told me, in a recent argument, she proudly and defiantly told him about me. The maid, who had been helping us see each other, was fired on the spot, and as she was packing up her belongings, she could hear Kara... being punished." He slowly shook his head. "I was terrified. She was my best friend... my only friend... and I had led to her being hurt, simply from her knowing me. So I... I ran away. I couldn't be near her. The temptation to see her again would be too great, and I couldn't risk her getting hurt again. So I... joined my first guild. And I haven't seen her in over fifty years."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Mina folded her hands. "I... know it isn't the same, but..."

"...but if she was in trouble... any kind of trouble, yes...I would do what I could to help her." Eraqus stood up and smiled. "Even if I had only known Kara for one day. I guess I have an idea what that unexplainable connection feels like." He walked towards the door. "I'll keep you informed about anything New Vento City says... and prepare for you leaving."

"Thank you, Eraqus." Mina closed her eyes again, reflecting on the situation. Despite all that had been said, she herself had to wonder if it was all worth it. If she was right for taking the case so personally.

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
MarineAvenger & ZombieSplitter53
An Early Present
Part One

Office of Mina Havenbrook
March 14th, 3349
11:27 a.m.

Mina slowly messaged her temples as the woman before her rattled on at an incredible speed, annoying her while at the same time impressing her with the lung capacity one person could have. “And I finished off decorating the east wing yesterday, so that just leaves the outside, do you think you could get someone to help me with that, not that I need any help, but I do this every year and I only have so many ideas, and I could use a new mind to change things up, or and the presents! Did you remember to get something for everyone this time, because I did, I mean, not everyone, I’m not that close to every single person, but I got something for Erin, and you of course, and Eraqus, and Charter, and Dillion, and Domino, and Stephan, and Izzy, and Lizzy, and that cute little Netzi down in the labs who is always so nice to me but I can never remember her name and it is always SUPER awkward…”

“Enough!” Mina held up her hands. “Enough, Esmeralda. I know you’re excited. I know how much you like this holiday. But… calm. Relax. Just… do what you do every year. I promise to stay out of your way if you just… leave me alone.”

Es scratched her chin. “O-okay. I just… hope it can be a nice Lady Nichole’s Day. Especially for people… like Drayce. I mean, I doubt they celebrated this, or any, Doloran holidays where he came from.”

Mina smiled at her. “I am sure he’ll enjoy himself. Assuming he even understands what’s going on. Sometimes, with you… even I am at a loss for words or rational thought.”

There was a brief knock at the door and an older gentleman in his late forties with gray beginning to line the lower fringes of his closely slicked back hair entered in with a hurried nature to his actions. He wasn’t anything special, just with minor rudiments in ice magic and decent with a bow, the newly assigned C-ranked Hunter gave both women a deep bow. “So sorry to intrude ma’ams, but… there is a situation.”

“It’s no problem,” Esmeralda said with a smile. “What can we-”

“Do you mind?” Mina gave her a silencing stare. “What’s the situation?”

“The um… maybe it would be best if you just look out your window ma’am. That would be more a succinct answer then I could explain.” the elder man gulped, pointing to the side of the room where smoke was billowing from the forest.

“The hell?” Mina quickly stood up and opened the window, gazing out.

“What is it?” Es asked, sticking her head by Mina’s to get a good look. “Some kinda forest fire?”

“I wish it were so but there was… mhmm… roaring coming from that direction not… ten minutes before the smoke.” he said with apprehension.

“Roaring… damn it.” Mina quickly closed the window and turned to the hunter. “I’m going down there. Gather others who can wield water and ice to put out any fires, but gave me twenty minutes. I might have a dragon to wrangle.”

She quickly darted out of the room and down the hallway. “You think Drayce is causing trouble?” Esmeralda asked, trailing behind.

“Wha… why are you following me?” The Guildmaster asked.

Es shrugged. “Maybe I can help. Makes more sense to bring me with then to go by yourself.”

Mina sighed. “We’ll see how true that is,” she muttered as the exited the manor and headed towards the source of the smoke.

It took around ten minutes to traverse the wooden landscape and reach the location where the smoke was coming from. Luckily it seemed that the fires were already out, that the ruins of the trees near a rather small looking lakes now just blackened husks. There were three men in the clearing, one channeling the water from the lake onto the last of the fires.

As they came closer, they could hear two of the men talking. “-uite a fight little bugger. We will have to get a collar made and put him in Pamella’s care. She can break any beast.”

“Woman charms tigers to act like kittens and elephants to balance on their back leg.” the one channeling the water noted to the rather large man who had a thrashing Drayce tied up in a net that glowed a slight golden color over his meaty shoulder. There was a third man, wearing a bright red vest and vibrant blue pants, a coal black top hat on his head and cane in hand.

“Just hurry up. We are burning daylight.” their ‘leader’ ordered in a very annoyed tone of voice.

“I hope you know that this forest is part of my land, and that makes you a bunch of trespassers.” Mina eyed the net. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

The three turned around to look at Mina and Esmeralda, then at one another and all three back to the woman. The man in the bright colors stepped forward, “We saw no signs posted that claim this land as yours. Apologies on our part if this is. But we are on a hunt. And our prize has been caught. We will be returning to our place of business to prepare our newest attraction.”

“You’ll be returning to your place of business… but he stays.” Mina glared at the leader. “Let him go.”

The strongman let out a deep chuckle but a raised hand shut him up almost immediately from the ringmaster, “Sorry Miss, but there is no possibility of that.” he stated with certainty. “Since this is your land, you will be properly compensated for this hunt. Even if capturing a live demon should not cost us anything, the scourges be purged by the heavens.”

“I will tear out your throat with my own teeth itmen sthyr!” Drayce yelled furiously, seemingly unable to go into any form or use magic despite how much he toiled and tried.

“What’s wrong with Drayce?” Esmeralda whispered.

“It’s the net,” Mina whispered back. “Specially made. This isn’t the first time they’ve tried to capture something really big, bad, and/or dangerous.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
An Early Present
Part Two

The Light Elf nodded, and cleared her throat. “Excuse, Mr… kidnapper guy. Uh, who are you? You said attraction. Are you with a circus, or some kind of side show?”

With a smile and a flourish of his hat, the portly man bowed and laughed, “Demons are not able to be kidnaped. Only captured. Like a wild dog, or any other wild animal. But yes, I run an animal show of many exotic varieties. Even those of a more… dangerous nature.”

“Yes, well um…” Es took a few steps forward. “Ouch… should have put on some shoes. I keep stepping on every twig and rock…” She shook her head. “I’m sure you people are… decent enough folk. You see, this is all a misunderstanding. You didn’t capture a Demon, you captured a Thrope. A, uh… a common misconception among those of the travelling entertainment business it seems. These folks a while back did the same with a Manticore Thrope.”

“They didn’t make a mistake, and somehow I doubt these guys did either,” Mina muttered to herself.

“A mistake? You are right. This is no mistake. We have been on the hunt for this beast for sometime. Many, many people have been. Information is hard to come by for this… thing. He will be a wild fire among the circus going community.” Looking around, the scrawny man who had put out the fires giggled almost childishly, “No pun intended.”

“Alright… let’s make this very simple,” Mina said loudly, silently cursing herself for telling the others to give her so long before coming. “His name is Drayce. He is not a demon, but I doubt you really care about that. So put him down now…” She pulled out her Judge and pointed it at the big man. “And I don’t blow you fucking head off. Understand?”

With a heavy sigh and Drayce yelling in his draconic language, the strongman walked forwards and took out a paper, “Look it over woman.”

Mina nudged her head forward. “Esmeralda, please.”

“W-what, me?” the blond woman asked nervously.

“Unless you would like to point the gun that would likely knock you on your ass, yeah!”

Es let out a soft whine, and carefully walked to the man and took the paper from him. “Don’t worry Drayce. We’ll get you out of this.”

Unfortunately for Esmeralda, she began to read the letter out loud and it did not look good.

“By decree of the New Vento Hunter’s Guild Association, the bounty of the chaos beast has been ratified by the board of nobles. A total of 100,000 gold pieces will be handed out to the individual(s) who bring in proof that the menace who attacked the small town of Chartain is no longer loose in the wild. Good hunting.”

The bottom of it had many signatures at the bottom ranging from rough poultry scratch to flowing curls. Worst yet was a royal seal.

Esmeralda brought it over so Mina could look at it. She lowered her gun halfway and stared at it in disbelief. “You… I…”

Es through it away. “I don’t care! Drayce is our friend, and we promised to protect him no matter what!”

“Esmeralda…” Mina shook her head. “We can’t…”

“Put him down right now, or you’re gonna get hurt!”

“Please, Es, stop.”

Tears started to roll down Esmeralda’s cheeks. “H-he i-is not missing h-his first holiday with us b-because of… because…”

“Es!” Mina holstered her weapon. “Just… stop.”

There was a nod from the ringmaster. “When we claim our money we will send a healthy portion your way for compensation for the misunderstanding about your land. Good day ladies.”

Drayce’s eyes widened. “Thric! Origato ve gethrisj! Si geou ti jaseve sia svihelen! Si mi bivai ihk Chartain! Si tira ti vucot! Si tira ti vucot! Si geou svent wux shio!” the Thrope yelled out in distress, trying even harder to try and get away.

Esmeralda sobbed softly, then yelled out in anger. She suddenly rushed the strong man, unarmed and outweighed by a lot, and grabbed the side of the net. “Let him go! Let him go!”

“Come on lady, I don’t like being physical with women.” the big man said in an annoyed tone, and when she refused to stop her struggle, he sighed and pulled Drayce away by pushing against her stomach lightly to shove her back as the three began to leave.

“I bet women don’t like to be physical with you either!” Esmeralda shouted back, dropping to her knees in defeat.

“150!” Mina yelled loudly. She quickly stepped forward. “150,000 to leave and pretend you never found him.”

They seemed to consider it by the looks they gave one another but the ringmaster quickly reigned in his henchmen, “Come now. There is more at play here then money men. There is justice to be done. And to be in the Association’s good graces… imagine the leads. I can smell the hunts already!” he announced as the three got farther and farther away, Drayce having merely given in at this point to silence.

“This… this isn’t over!” Mina yelled. “You hear that, Drayce! This is a mistake, and I’ll fix it! We’ll get you back!”

Esmeralda slowly turned to look at her, a look of anger most had never seen in the Light Elf’s eyes. “You should have stopped them! You should have fought!”

“Esmeralda, that document had the royal seal on it! If they didn’t take him, we would have soldiers breaking down our door to take him and arrest me.”

“If you really cared, you would have been willing to risk that!” She sniffled, and wiped her eyes. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t… I… I have to…” She slowly stood up and ran back towards the mansion, leaving Mina alone.

“This isn’t over, Drayce,” she whispered. “I’ll get you back.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
Encroaching Darkness

Charter was fighting a group of undead, using his new poleaxe to both decapitate the undead and use the tip spike to put it through their head. He used the back end to smash their skull in. "Ugh, come on, they don't let up, do they damn it!?"

Several charged him from behind, only to be thrown several yards away by a blast of wind. Clad in radiant white armor, Esmeralda floated down by his side. "Come now, Sir Knight. This is nothing we can't handle, right?"

Charter's eyes widened in surprise to see Esmeralda, and he nodded his head in agreement. "Alright then hun, just be careful alright? Don't want you getting hurt."

"Aren't I always?" Esmeralda giggled, whacking a zombie upside the head. "I have an idea. Try and gather as many of them together as possible."

"Alright, that should be easy enough." Charter whistled and Slone came to his side. He jumped on his companion and started to herd the undead together. "Alright Es, whatever you're going to do, do it know!"

Esmeralda shot a blast of wind down, flying up into the air. She held her hands together, and after a short chant, fire a large sphere of light energy into the zombies. With a deathly howl, their energy dissipated in a plume of violet energy, and they dropped to the ground, put to rest. "Woohoo!" Es cried, then started to fall. "Oh, didn't quite think this part out... Charter!"

"Slone, let's go!" Slone started to run to the falling light elf, running as fast as he could to reach the falling woman so Charter could grab her.

Esmeralda landed in his arms with a light oof, and wrapped her arms around him. "My hero. What would I do without you?"

"Let's not think about that. As long as you're safe, I can breath a sigh of relief that you're now safe. Seriously though, thanks for the help. You're pretty strong. I'm glad to see that."

"Well, I've been training under you," Es said with a grin. "How could I not be."

"Strength compared to his is nothing to be that impressed by," said a female voice. A few yards away, and woman in black, her face covered in a shroud, slowly approached. "Sorry, but as I see it, he is all talk, and no game."

"What the hell is this nonsense? Slone." Charter put Esmeralda on the back of Slone. "Get her out of here. I don't want Es to get involved in this."

The woman snapped her fingers, and Slone found himself paralyzed, his legs feeling like they weighed a ton. "Do you think I'm just going to let them go? After what you did to me?"

"Lady, I don't know who you are. Es, please leave here. Get off Slone and run. I will cover your escape, alright?" Charter prepared his Axe to kill the woman in front of him.

As Esmeralda slipped off the dire wolf, the woman laughed. "Don't know who... oh, I'm sorry. Maybe this will help." She removed her shroud, revealing the face of the woman who had controlled the Orthrus and dire wolves, though said face was now half eaten. "Remember me now? Remember how you ordered those wolves to eat me alive? Remember!?"

Charter looked at the woman and his eyes widened. "You! Now I remember you. That was what you deserve. How many people did you serve to your wolves? You tormented those villagers by bringing the Worg on them. That was ironic justice, you damned bitch!"

She laughed loudly, vile fluids leaking from the hole in her cheeks. "Don't pull your high and mighty crap with me. I know who you really are, Charter Van Dam. I know you don't protect people because it is the right thing to do. You do it... because it makes you feel special, far more then you ever could back home in your father's shadow. You do it... because you like the attention."

Charter put his poleaxe away and switched to his bow and arrow, firing at the woman. "You know nothing about me woman. I protect people because no one else will. I fight because so one else would have to die."

The arrow struck her in the chest. She looked down at it with annoyance. "But you can't protect anyone. And they will die. Some already have. Where do you think these undead freaks came from? Some of them might look familiar."

Charter looked around and saw his family around him, part of the undead. "No... not like this. They deserve better." Charter looked at the woman again and whistled, and a pack of wolves surrounded the woman. "I'm gonna kill you, and this time I will tell them to leave nothing left of you!"

She laughed. "Oh... oh, that's good. But here's... the... thing. You can't stop me now. I crawled my way out of hell to get back at you, and I learned a few tricks on the way up. Like this." She snapped her fingers, and turned into a ghostly mist. Said mist rushed forward, past Charter, and reformed in front of a fleeing Esmeralda, grabbing her by the neck and turning her to face Charter. "Lookie what I caught."

Charter's eyes widened and he prepared his bow to fire at the woman. "Let her go! She has nothing to do with this, this is our fight! She's an innocent person and has done nothing to you!" Charter looked a Slone, but he was still paralyzed.

"Hmm..." The undead woman scratched her chin, some of the flesh peeling away. "I believe this is the part where I tell you to lower your weapon, and you try to bargain for her life."

Charter started to lower his weapon and look at the woman. "Let her go and I promise that you can walk out of here alive. If you don't, then I will be sure to serve you to my wolves again, and this time, I will tell them to eat every single bit of you, including your bones!"

A mist over Chater's head formed into a demonic shape, silently floating above him. It held out its hand, absorbing the man's anger, regret, and fear.

The woman laughed. "Really? That is the best you can do as far as bargaining goes." She shrugged. "Well, just to be a little nice, you should know I was going to do this anyway." She moved her arm back, and with incredible strength, punched her fist into Esmeralda's back and through her chest.

Luke expression changed to one of anger and dread. And fired his arrows into the woman and his wolves went after her. "I'll kill you, bitch!"

She let Es fall away and held out her arms, smiling. "Be my guest. My work here is done," she said as the first wolf jumped on her and tore out her throat.

The rest of the wolves dug into the woman and started to feast on her, some started to even eat her limbs whole. Charter rushed to Esmeralda and held her tight, tears coming down his cheeks. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I failed to protect you and now you're gone. Please forgive me." Luke held Esmeralda tightly, and yelled. "Goddess of Justice, I have failed to protect this woman! I have failed you... and my duty."

The Night-gaunt continued to siphon his negative emotions as it held out its other hand, a portal of black and purple slowly starting to form. Before the grieving man and his fallen love, another portal formed in front of him. A woman stepped out, her eyes a brilliant blue, and hair flowing and blonde. She wore dark armor covered in spikes, though her breast plate was open to show off. On her head, she wore horns made out of metal. Despite being the image of beauty and light, a dark aura emanated for her. "She's dead, Van Dam. And now... she is coming with me."

Esmeralda started to stand up, her eyes were now black, and she went with the blond woman through the portal. " Es no! You will not defile her corpse, you bastards." As Charter went to attack, they were gone. " No! Nooooooo!"

Charter then woke up, covered in sweat. Es he sat there on his bed, his mind racing, his thoughts trying to differentiate reality from dream, he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. A wisp of dark energy, swirling in the corner of his room. Charter shouted, got out of his bed, ran to the shadow and wraped his hands around the shadow. "What the hell are you!"

It turned to smoke and slipped out of his grasp, reforming behind him. It was a Night-gaunt, but only partially formed. It was much slower then normal, and only had its had, right arm, and right wing sticking out of a portal. It stared at him with its empty face.

Charter looked at the monster and charged it. He tackled it and slammed it into his dresser. Charter then grabbed a dagger he kept on the side of his bed and stabbed the demon-looking monster in it's chest. "What the hell?" Charter got a good look at it and realized it was a Night-gaunt. He dug the dagger further into the monster. "What the hell? What does the goddess of dreams wants from me?"

The creature looked him over. It turned into smoke long enough for the dagger to fall out, but could not maintain it. Seemingly vulnerable while trying to escape the realm of dreams, it slowly started to sneak back into the portal. Charter turned around and grabbed it's tail. "Where do you think you're going? Answer me!"

It slashed at his arm, the cuts feeling like they were on fire, a purple mist steaming off them. Charter yelled in pain. "What the hell do you want from me!?" The mouthless creature had no words to speak as it slipped out of the waking world the same way it came in. The portal it left behind shook and crackled with instability before disappearing.

Slone barged into the room and looked at his master. Slone then tried to comfort his master, but Charter just rubbed his head. "It's alright, Slone. I'm fine... for the moment."

Dahlexpert

It's been a while since I made some new dolls

Venakin castle
March 13 3349
7:24 PM

As the winter started to turn into the spring, the nights started to get slightly shorter much to Alice dismay. Alice stepped out into the night instead of her wearing her usual dress and gown, she wore some light armor and looked at the moon. As Alice breathed in she can smell the cold air of the winter night. “Ah I always do enjoy this quiet, the calm and peace before the screaming and the blood starts to flow. Let’s get started.

Alice turned into a swarm of bats and flew into the nights, after a few minutes she looked down into one of the roads she remembered from the map Mina gave her. Alice landed on the road and looked at the dead bodies on the road, the bodies on the road been there for about a day.

Alice bit into the corpses and took their blood and raised the courses as her undead minions, Alice smiled the air and can smell some fresh blood near buy. “Hum fresh blood, animal well it’s something if I’m lucky it’s a pair of hunters digging into their food.” Alice once again turned into a swarm of bats and went to the sent.

To her surprise she found a bandit camp, the bandits enjoying their plunder. Ou bandits that’s wonderful hum there seems to be a spout going on down there what’s going on? Inside the bandit camp the leader of the gang and one of the grunts.

“Ive had enough of your antics Crixus, you’ve been trying to keep more of the plunder for yourself instead of handing your fair share so you’re going to die for all these men to see.”

“Heh I always was an optimist, know what that is mate? It’s about sizing a situation that’s bloody impossible and saying to yourself, yea alright I’ll give it a go I’m exactly the same way.

As the two battle each other Alice still being a bat looked down at the two. Alright whoever the winner is I will have a special prize for them.

The leader of the raiders took his duel axes and charged Crixus, Crixus used his shiled to block his attacks.

Crixus parried the last attack and bashed the leaders head with his shield, he then kicked him in the stomach and putting the raid leader on his back and smashed his head with his mace. As he screams in victory he others looked at Crixus and one of them said. “Crixus just killed the boss, get him!”

Ugh ou, seems like he’s in trouble, I guess I should help but for the most part I can stand back and watch. On the other hand let me see what he does. Alice thinks about it and decided to help the man out. Alice turned back into her normal form and approached the bandits and whistled. “Hello fools is there room for one more?”

The bandits stopped from attacking Crixus and looked at the woman. “Who the fuck is this woman?” One of the bandits shouted. Since they were distraction Crixus used the distraction to bash one of the bandits in the back of their head, the force from the mace on the helmet was enough to crush one of the bandits brain.

When the bandits turned around and saw what Crixus did, Alice used her supernatural speed to slit one of the bandit’s throat with her dagger like nails and quickly made her way to another, and sinker her teeth into the other bandit quickly draining them of their blood and tossed the corpse to the side. The bandits noticed this and realized that Alice was a vampire and decided to run, once they tried to run the undead travelers the bandits killed earlier arrived.

“You remember these guys right, time to suffer!” The undead unlike the normal undead were quick and used there undead strength to overpower the bandits, Alice also joining in on the killing spree killing the reaming bandits. Alice then turned to the last bandit she left Alive, Alice looked down and picked up a battle axe and tossed it to the man. “Pick it up.” Alice gestured to the man to grab the Axe

The man put his mace in his waist holder and picked up the axe. “Recon your goanna beat me huh, you may be a vampire but your goanna need a lot more than your fancy powers to take me down!” Crixus yelled and ran to Alice and started to swing his axe at Alice.

Alice dogged every blow with ease, Crixus went for another strike Alice moved to the side and tripped Crixus. “Come on now I saw what you did to your leader.” Alice picked the man straight up and dusted him off she then motioned for him to attack her. “Come on!”

Crixus attacked again only this time on his last swing he kicked Alice in the gut forcing Alice to lean forward Crixus then uppercut Alice and drove the axe into the vampire shoulder.

Alice screamed in pain but smiled. “Alright now you’ve caught my interest hum, yea alright I’ll give you a go.” Alice grabbed the man’s arm and bits into him, only instead of drinking his blood she took his mind and the bandit was memorized by Alice. “Now you serve me, come were burning time I need to train you properly, I think I have found myself a new servants as well as some new soldiers.” Alice looked at the mass pile of dead bandits and took in their blood once she took their blood she raised them turning them into her new undead soldiers. “Heh night one so fare I have What twenty undead soldiers, heh not bat for one night now time to train you up my puppet.

Alice starting to feel a little week after rasing so many dead and healing from her wound, Alice walked into the into the bandits former hideout and told her new undead "dolls" to guard the outpost as she and Crixus went inside the ruin.

Last edited:

Black0ut

Black0ut, Insane Darkness, Exogrim,& the illustrious ZombieSplitter53 present
Revival of the Slavers
Client: Governments of Virando and Serasam
Target: Bandit Camp

Info:
Three years ago, the Havenbrook Organization was hired to eliminate a group of bandits kidnapping men and women in Serasam to send off to countries with legal slave trades. After a successful raid on their largest camp, they were left to the local government soldiers to clean up. As it so happens, the slave traders survived and moved Virando. They are currently located somewhere near the Serasam border, their new plan to base themselves in one country while kidnapping people from another. This has led to a lot of tension between the two royal houses over who is responsible for what and who should be the one to deal with them.

To avoid any further fighting between them, they have both offered a bounty for the destruction of the slavers. While they are currently located in Virando, the Havenbrook Organization has been given the first go because of our assistance in crippling them three years ago.

There is a bit of a complication, however. Survivors of the bandits' attacks have claimed that they have harpies working with them. Whether they got them from Mt. Himala or the Evenasa mountains, whether they have somehow found a way to get the harpies to willingly work for him or have somehow enslaved them, all that matters is they are now more dangerous than they were before. For this reason, our Hunters will be accompanied by royal Virando soldiers. We are in charge, though.

South Virando, Just past the Virando/Serasam Border
March 16th, 3349
8:23 p.m.

A one day trip west on the transcontinental river, followed by another day riding south, left the team of Havenbrook Hunters where they needed to be. Eraqus had been sent in with a small team, only him, Titania, Faith, and Zulik along for the ride. The small team wasn’t ideal, but important. While the local soldiers had a general idea where the bandit camp was located, they did not know exactly where.

o_8sxzJoe1Fc3rrffKlN4dsTnlFBixFBP2ZgKx8A5sIBLqNn_I7oFnHVC3aO72hCqw9KH4LuNBdPyEHdah5KyGMS2rRvTxx6sScmcQoexa2rJ1BSiCMKU921jVU5OvqqNoUEITc5

“It is our job to find them,” Eraqus explained as the group of four trekked through a small forest. “Don’t worry too much about our numbers. Virando soldiers are nearby, just waiting for the signal to advance. But it isn’t exactly easy to find a hidden camp when we have a bunch of armored soldiers klacking behind us. We will search for local bandits, make them show us where the camp is, find it, then signal the soldiers to attack. This is supposed to be their main stronghold, so taking it down will disrupt their entire operation. Any questions?” He looked back, eyeing the newest member in particular.

“Um… Do I have the highest chance of death out of everyone here?” Faith asked bluntly, hoping that she wouldn’t be thrown on the front lines right off the bat.

Eraqus had expected a lack of confidence, but the question threw him off. “I, uh… I usually don’t think in terms like that. Death and Injury can happen anytime on the battlefield. But you have your role to play, both as a flier and a user of wind magic. Keep to your role, trust us, and you’ll be fine.”

“So, can I assume that you prefer that I stay behind the group and specialize in injuring enemies from afar?” Faith returned, looking for clarification.

“That would be best for your first mission,” Eraqus said with a nod. “Though if you see someone about to stab me in the back, please feel free to swoop in and stab him first.” He gave her an encouraging smile.

Faith giggled, yet found herself confused as to what was so funny about what he said. “I might take you up on that, sir. Thank you for clarifying for me.” She showed her own smile to him, standing up taller than she had before.

Eraqus turned to the corrupted Elf. “Zulik, with your destructive abilities, you are best suited for a forward role. Watch our fronts, and trust us to keep your rear guarded.”

Zulik nodded in response. “I’ve always been there for you guys… I’m sure I can trust you. Plus, I should be able to find any corrupted artifacts or monster they’ve collect, which will help.”

Eraqus chuckled. “We are not here to rob the robbers, but after the fighting is done, I won’t call to the soldiers if you see something you like.” He looked to the fourth member of the team. “I’ll take the middle while you’ll be on the sides, Titania. Your speed will be extremely valuable on this mission, especially against the harpies.”

“I'll try to keep them off you, and I'll also be going for any bandits that stray too close.” Titania replied, taking a step away from Faith.

Eraqus nodded one last time, and they continued in silence for another forty minutes. The deep cover and darkness of night helped keep them concealed, but it also made it hard to find the enemy. When they finally did, they found a group of bandits pillaging a house. Either the occupants had run off or were tied up, or dead, somewhere out of sight. “Hmm… four of them, four of us. Faith?”

“Yes sir? What would you like me to do?” Faith grabbed hold of her weapon in preparation for the upcoming fight, even though she, most likely, wasn’t going to use it.

“Just in case they have any friends nearby, we need to take them all down at first. I’ll get the guy on the right, Zulik has the left, and Titania has the far bandit. You’ll attack the closest one first, signalling the rest of us to attack, okay?”

“As the most inconspicuous one of us here, I can fly above them and attack the first guy with my throwing knives. Is… Is that okay? Or is there something else you want me to do? I am not very proficient with killing with my wind magic…” Faith twiddled her fingers again, a habit she resorts to frequently.

Eraqus placed his hand on her shoulder gently. “I want you to use your instincts, and take him down however you feel best. Don’t let it stress you out too much. If you mess up at all, we’ll cover you. But you won’t mess up.”

Stars shined in her eyes as Faith stared into Eraqus’ own. “Y-yes sir! Let’s hope I am enough to take down at least one.” Faith crouched low, preparing for a boost upwards from her wind magic. “You all might want to stand back. I am not in perfect control of my magic.”

Eraqus motioned for the others to move to the side, targeting their individual targets while giving the duck Thrope room to work. Once everyone was in position, he nodded to Faith.

“Alright… Here goes nothing…” Faith muttered to herself, the wind picking up around her. Her hair slapped her face violently before she pushed off the ground, her violent hair quickly becoming soft feathers that were no longer in her way. She rose over the treetops until she was right above her target. She stretched a claw to grab one of her throwing knives and dropped it. Aww… Shoot. It was slightly off, but it should do the trick all the same. she thought to herself, hoping it was true. Sure enough, two seconds later, a throwing knife had embedded itself into the guy’s head. Quickly, she transformed back into her human form and dropped down to land behind the man’s back. She reached for her sword mid-fall and stabbed it into the bandit’s back in an attempt to use it as a shield when the combat began, softening her landing with wind magic light enough to remain undetected behind his body.

The other three turned at the sound of the man’s death cry, quickly drawing their swords. Eraqus’ target only had his halfway out before the Elf slammed into him, shoving him into the carriage. With a swift motion, Eraqus used his momentum to grab the man’s head and violently bash it into the carriage, causing him to drop to the ground like a rock.

Zulik quickly went after his target, throwing a void chain at the man’s foot to trip him. With the man in the air from the sudden movement, the corrupted grabbed his head and slammed it into the ground below them. An audible thud formed as the the back of the man’s head splattered across the dirt.

Titania blurred and moved at her usual incredible speed, planting her short sword in her bandit’s face, before promptly decapitating him. Eraqus let out a long breath. “That, my friends, is a pretty successful ambush.” He laid out his target, removing his helmet. “How are you holding up, Faith?”

Black0ut

Revival of the Slavers, Part Two

Faith’s knees buckled under the large man’s weight. She also found herself unable to remove her blade from his back at the angle it had entered. She grunted from his weight, trying to rise through the air to meet his height with wind magic and straining against everything about the corpse fighting against her. This guy is posing a bigger challenge dead than alive! she complained in her head.

Zulik sighed briefly as he walked over to Faith. He picked up the corpse and tossed it aside, offering the young Thrope a hand. “That better?”

Faith kept a hold on her sword as the corpse was thrown off of her. She sighed as the literal weight was lifted off of her. “Thank you…”

Eraqus lightly tapped the fallen bandit’s cheeks until he woke up. “Alright, let's make this simple. In a minute, I’m going to hit you in the head again. Now, whether or not it is a fatal blow is up to you. So… where is your camp?”

The bandit laughed. “You must be out of your mind if you think you can get me to say anything!”

“Yeah… figured you’d say that.” Eraqus looked up. “Titania?”

Titania smiled, and took out her swords. “What should I take first… let's start with a finger. Now, my dear, let's have some fun!” Keeping her word, she quickly grabbed his hand, and cut his ring finger off.

The man screamed in pain, grabbing his hand and holding it tightly grasping it. “You people are crazy! What the hell is wrong with you!”

“Agreed. What is wrong with you?” Eraqus asked Titania before grabbing the man’s arm and pinning it against the carriage. “If you want to show you’re serious, start with the whole hand.”

The bandit looked at Zulik of all people. “Stop him!”

Zulik wrapped a void chain around the fellow Elf’s blade. “I know a better… less bloody way to get information out of him.”

Eraqus slowly stood up and stepped away. “He’s all yours.”

Zulik walked up to the man, placing his gauntlet hand on the side of his head. After a deep breath, the priest began channeling his corruption into the bandit’s mind. Zulik wasn’t sure if this would work, but he had to at least try. “If you know what’s good for you… you’ll speak now.”

He cried out once more, his eyes darkening. “Stop! Stop! I… i-it’s close! To the west about ten minutes… then north another five! I swear, now stop!”

Zulik retracted the corruption from the man and socked him the jaw, knocking the bandit unconscious. “You all heard, let’s get moving.”

Eraqus nodded, and turned to check on Faith and see how she was taking everything. Faith walked up behind everyone, late to the bandit-torturing party. “Alright. Let’s go, I guess.”

The team leader nodded, glad she wasn’t modified. He pointed in the general direction the bandit had described, took a few steps forward, and stopped dead in his tracks. “I heard something,” he said softly, scanning the skies. “We might… have more company.”

Zulik immediately got into battle stance, scanning the area to see if anything was skewed or out of place.

“Titania, take a quick look around the immediate area,” Eraqus ordered. “Faith, we need a pair of eyes in the skies.”

Titania nodded, cracking her knuckles and her neck. “All right, Eraqus. Just… tie up the unconscious guy. We don’t need him to follow us later.” With that she blurred and disappeared into the night.

Eraqus attended to that and told Zulik, “Watch my back. Faith, head on up.”

“I’m on it.” Faith made her way to the higher altitudes above her comrades, scanning the terrain around her in her duck form.

Titania soon returned, tripping over one of the dead bodies, but managed to remain on her feet. “Nothing on the ground, but… I don’t know, something up in the sky maybe? I saw a blur as I was scouting…” She reported, but immediately looked around. Slow dread began coursing through her veins, “...Where’s Faith?”

Everybody slowly turned their heads to the sky where the plucking duck Thrope was scouting. As far as she could tell, there was nothing around. That is, at least, until she felt a disturbance in the wind behind her. Turning, she found herself face to face with a trio of harpies. The one in the center smiled and licked her lips. “Duck… delicious.”

Transforming back into her human form, Faith growled at the harpy. “Fuck… Off…” She propelled herself in the opposite direction she was flying, tackling the middle harpy out of the sky and increasing the damage of her impact with even more magic.

The other two looked at each other in shock, either surprised she wasn’t an actual duck, or surprised she didn’t flee in fear. Either way, they took off after her as the third harpy plummeted. “Faith!” Eraqus yelled. “Lead them down here! Titania, Zulik? Be ready.”
In the sky, Faith pushed the harpy faster to avoid allowing it to make any move against her. She started punching it in the stomach as hard as she could. “Die! Die! Die! Die!” she yelled for every punch, adrenaline fueling her strength. She started to glow a slight green as her punches became faster and stronger and her voice rose with it.

Every time the harpy tried to counterattack, it was punched down more and more. As the Elf leader watched the display, he glanced at Titania and muttered, “She has a lot of anger issues in a small package, doesn’t she?”

“So do I. But then again, I’m not fully in control of my animal side, so… there is that.” Titania replied, only one of her eyes being feral.

The pair of harpies continued their descent, rapidly catching up as Faith and her pummeled captive flew towards the three on the ground. The duck girl flew over their heads, the other two almost on her. “Now!” Eraqus yelled to Zulik and Titania.

Zulik attached a void chain to the Harpy’s leg, pulling the chain with a wide arc in attempted to throw the creature into a tree. It screeched loudly, trying to fly away, but the centrifugal force was too great, and it smashed into the tree with fatal force.

Titania started to blur, dropping her longsword and pulling her dagger out in a swift motion, all before jumping at the Harpy. “Y’know… Wolves eat birds.” Titania growled, jabbing her dagger into the Harpy’s wing.

It tumbled to the ground, rolling with the fall but quickly climbing to its feet. It squared off against Titania, snarling and screeching. “You die today!” It jumped, trying to claw at her with its talons.

Titania moved behind the Harpy, grimacing as she felt that she was beginning to overexert herself. In a swift movement, she stabbed the Harpie’s leg with her shortsword. “I don’t want to kill you. Stop, if you care about your friends.”

It dropped to its knee, holding its wound tightly. Eraqus rushed over to provide back up. “Good job.” He looked around. “What happened to Faith?”

“I am not delicious, you monster!” Faith growled at the harpy, wielding her sword in front of her.

The harpy held its beaten stomach and chest tightly with one wing while holding the other towards Faith. “Not delicious. Nasty, angry duck.”

“Exactly!” Faith stood proudly, “beating” her first real enemy, in a sense. She took a double-take. “Oh… Isn’t that kind of an insult? How dare you!” She pointed her sword at the towering beast cowering in front of her.

It narrowed its eyes. “Go ahead. Kill. All alike. All monsters! You kill, or we kill!”

Eraqus guided the second harpy over, looking them up and down. “They’re not wearing anything to control them. But I’ve never heard of harpies working with anyone, especially humans.”

“Which means they’re unique right?” Titania asked Eraqus, sheathing her shortsword, and dagger. She turned to the harpy without waiting for a reply, “So… I made a promise to your friend there not to kill you. Will you calm down and talk to us before deciding that we’re evil?”

Black0ut

Revival of the Slavers, Part 3

The pair chattered with each for a few moments, their avian language alien to all but Faith, who could pick up bits and pieces about trust, dying, humans, and something about an egg. Finally, the leader of the two, the one Faith had been able to catch off guard, nodded. “We talk. What talk about?”

Eraqus held his hand over his mouth, quietly saying, “So far, this is a much longer conversation I ever expected to get out of a harpy. But… what to ask them…”

“Why did you think I was delicious?” Faith started. “I mean, I don’t think harpies eat ducks, do they? We’re both birds, after all.”

Eraqus stifled a laugh. “Not the first thing I’d be curious about…”

The harpies looked at each other, then to Faith, unsure how to answer without setting her off again. “Not birds. Harpies!” The second harpy stood tall. “Have feathers, and talons, but not birds. Woman has wolf like ears, but probably not the same as wolf. We are better! Descend from great flying demons. All is food for us.”

Zulik sighed, waiting for Faith to get her answers. When she obtained it, he walked up to the Harpies. “I would like to know why you are helping these bandits… when you could easily kill them and eat them.”

The pair conversed once more, the second seemingly trying to keep the first from speaking. Finally, the leader of the pair let out a loud screech to silence her and answered, “Princess egg stolen. We serve. Princess lives.”

“So… if we rescue your princess, you’ll stop helping the bandits? And furthermore, if that’s true, I’d like to learn your names.” Titania replied, as she retrieved her longsword and sheathed it.

The leader said, “Our names not important… but this one is Tena. I am Leena.” She considered the situation, and slowly lowered herself to one knee. “Save princess, we don’t serve human bandits.”

The second nodded in agreement. “Save princess, we kill human bandits.”

“I suppose that’s fair, but as much as I would love your support in the fight… we kinda injured you two a bit too much. We’ll handle it, so you guys stay here, and wait for us. The Havenbrook Guild always strives to be the best when it comes to fighting.” Walking over to Leena, Titania put a hand on her wing. “I promise.”

Zulik thought for a moment. “What would be the likelihood that you could get your flock to help us?”

Tena shook her head. “Will not help. Will not risk princess.”

“Their lives not matter,” Leena insisted. “None but princess. You kill harpies that try to stop you. Save princess. Once safe, then harpies help.”

“We won’t have much of a choice in all likelihood.” Eraqus motioned ahead. “Come on. Our mission is the same, to take out the bandit camp and free anyone they’ve captured. The only thing that changed is a harpy princess has been added to the list of those we need to save. Let’s go before someone wonders why they’re missing four bandits and three harpies.”

Following the basic instructions given to them by the bandit, soon the group could see lights in the night. Approaching ever so slowly to avoid running into a bandit patrolling or out answering the call of nature, the head of the group looked at all they could see from their position. “Hmm… this place is a lot bigger than I expected. Zulik, you and I will focus on fighting, alright? And I know they are technically being used, but you can’t hold back against the harpies. They won’t hold back against you.”

“Right… Everyone ready?” Zulik asked the rest of the group, entering a battle stance.

“On my signal, send a big explosion of fire and dark magic to signal the soldiers,” Eraqus told him. “Faith, I’ll need you to hold back and keep an eye on the cages over there. The moment you see them free of guards, fly over there and free the slaves so they don’t get caught in the crossfire.”

“Gotcha! I shall do my best to do exactly what you said! If you repeat it… Sorry, wasn’t paying attention.” Faith stopped staring at her sword to make her best attempt at paying attention, but utterly failed.

Eraqus opened and closed his mouth, and shook his head. “Hostage rescue duty, Faith. They’re counting on you. Titania, do you have enough steam left in those legs to search the tents for the Harpy princess?”

“Yeah… I can still run. It’ll be harder with the bandits, but I’ll survive.” Titania said glancing over at Faith. “You ready for this?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” Faith responded, floating her sword slightly above her hand.

Eraqus smiled at them, and nodded to Zulik. “Send the signal.”

Zulik prepared his magic, this being the first time he fused the two magics together… taking longer than usual due to the extra mana. When it was all ready, he threw it up into the air, the spell detonating when it was high enough for the soldiers to see it. Twenty minutes passed, the bandits searching the forest to see where the magic had come from, the harpies taking flight. Then came the sound of heavy armor clanking as the soldiers came into sight. They were outnumbered four to one, but Virando soldiers were worth at least four bandits each. And lucky for them, a Havenbrook Hunter was worth at least ten.

“Charge!” Eraqus yelled a minute after the soldiers breached the camp. He ran in with Zulik by his side, leaving Faith behind to prepare to rescue the slaves and Titania to go on her search and rescue mission.

Let’s hope this works… The corrupted Elf thought as he prepared a new spell. When it was fully charged, he threw it out, the orb of dark and fire energy igniting on contact with the ground. The dark energy pulled a group of bandits into the field of fire that scorched their skin. He didn’t know how long he could sustain it, but it was still devastating nevertheless. When two bandits tried to flank him, he bashed one in the head and quickly grabbed the only one by the arm. The priest slammed him into the ground… just close enough to be caught in the dark vortex. The bandit’s body was ripped in two by the void energy while Zulik tossed the other half aside.

“Damn, Zulik.” Eraqus slashed his sword, sending a harpy slamming into the ground. “Listen, if any other guild ever tries to recruit you away from us…” A bandit charged him while screaming, and was rewarded with a fireball into his mouth. “...remember we, uh… we’re your friends, alright?”

Faith openly cringed, questioning as to whether she sounded as pathetic as he did when she stuttered. She refocused on her task at hand: saving the bandit’s victims.

As she looked about, Eraqus struck down another bandit, and ignited his blade. He jammed it into the nearest enemy, and a few moments later, unleashed the energy in the sword, boiling the bandit from the inside out. “Faith, go for the cages! Free the captive people!”

Faith dove from the sky to unlock the cages. She noticed one bandit had all of the keys and grabbed them from him before landing on one of the cages to transform back, spinning the keys on her finger with a large grin. “Hey buddy! Look over here!” she yelled to the distracted guard.

“The hell?!” He looked at her, then down at his belt. “Little bitch!” he yelled, charging her.

“Sorry, you immature human. But I’m a little duck, not a dog.” Faith held out her hand, levitating her throwing knives. “Back… Down… Now.” she ordered, her voice almost demonic-sounding.

The guard stayed where he was, but smiled. “Watch your surroundings.”

Another guard ran up behind Faith, grabbing her shoulders and easily lifting the light girl into the air. “Look what we have here,” she cackled. “Looks like we’re having duck for dinner.”

The other bandit pulled out a knife. “Hold her steady so I can start gu-” he dropped to the ground, a crossbow bolt in the back of his head.

“Faith!” Eraqus yelled. “No showing off! Just get rid of that bandit and free the slaves!”

The female bandit holding Faith laughed. “That’s funny. You think you can get away from me, little pigeon?”

“Don’t mess with me!” she screamed, turning the surrounding bandits into human-sized pincushions. Returning the knives to her pouch, she shuffled with the keys to find out which ones unlocked which cages. She knew it was going to be a long and painstaking process, but an extremely necessary one.

Meanwhile, Titania raced around the compound, a trail of headless bandits being left in her wake. Slowing down, she reached a new tent having only three left that she hadn’t checked. Making sure there wasn’t an enemy near her, she got on the ground and gently pulled the opening of the tent to peek inside.

In the back of the room was a curtain, an egg-shaped object on the other side. Three bandits stood guard in front of it. “Shouldn’t we be out dere helpin’, Edge?”

“Shud up, Viggs, dis iz the easiest job ever. They fight an’ die while we guard da little bird brat.”

“Shut up, the both of yous. It isn’t jus’ that. Boss says we looz the bird, all the other birds stop takin’ orders. So ‘ave a lil’ respect for yer important job!”

A dagger was soon sprouting out of Edge, before Titania rushed in, decapitating the other bandit before, holding her longsword under Viggs neck. “You’re working for me now, got it?” Titania growled, moving the blade so it gently cut the bandit's throat. Without waiting for a reply, she continued, “As the second smartest of your friends, I trust you’ll listen, so… you’ll find some rope, you’ll discard your weapon, or I make you a Eunuch.”

Black0ut

Revival of the Slavers, Part 4

Viggs’ eyes widened, and he carefully removed his sword from his belt and dropped it. “Hey, wudever you say, boss.” He slowly backed away from her, reaching into a basket and pulling out a long, slender rope. “I-iz this good? ‘C-cause I can find anuter one."

“That’ll do, Viggs.” Titania replied, sheathing her sword, and taking off her gloves to reveal sharp claws. “I trust you won’t try anything stupid, Viggs? ‘Cause out of your friends I like you the best, as you’re the only one alive… but if I have to do something, I won’t hesitate.” Titania moved forward, grabbing the rope as she began to bind the bandit.

The bandit chuckled. “Dontcha worry ‘bout me, boss. Ima coward at heart. I won’t try nuttin’... less you tells me, of course.” He let out a sigh, hoping whoever she was with won since his actual boss wouldn’t be so forgiving.

“Thanks for making this easy. Now… I’m going to need you to sit in the middle of the room, so you don’t get stabbed by my allies, and I need you to keep a lookout. Think you can manage that for me?” Titania asked, giving the tied rope a good tug before walking over to the egg-shaped object.

Moving the curtain aside, it looked as though the hatched egg had been turned into a makeshift cradle. Sitting in it, oblivious to the dangers outside, was a infant harpy girl with bright blue feathers. She lacked many of the harpies bird or demon looking features, and would look human if not for her wings and talons. She tilted her head in wonder at the newcomer.

“Aww, she’s so cute…” Titania said endearingly, walking over to Edge and yanking her dagger free of his body, before promptly walking back. “So, Viggs. I appreciate you following my orders until this point, but I’m going to need you to get up and help me outta this place. And your reward for it, is that I let you go and give you some of the gold I have. Sound like a good deal?”

Viggs quickly nodded, struggling to climb to his feet despite being bound. “You got it, boss. You can get to da woods right behind dis tent. Get da bird girl out, an’ those harpies will probably stop fightin’.”

Gently picking the harpy girl up and cradling her with one arm, Titania walked over to the bandit to help him to his feet. “Let’s go, Viggs.”

Outside, despite the initial positive outlook, things were getting rough. The harpies were more plentiful and quick then anticipated. Eraqus yelled, jumping up and slashing his sword down with incredible force, knocking a defending bandit’s own sword down and into his face. The Elf wiped the blood from his forehead, some of his enemies, plenty from his own wounds. “H-how you holding up, Zulik?”

“I’ve had better days…” The priest remarked, having some wounds himself as well as an exhausted mana pool. “How many of these guys are there?”

“Too… many…” Eraqus looked up in the sky where two harpies were chasing Faith. “You okay up there!?”

“Damn it all! Why do these bastards have to chase me all the time?!” Faith complained. “Guys, we are saving your princess! Give it a rest already!” Her wings flapped fiercely, too busy with her own problems to answer Eraqus’ question.

Titania emerged from the tent, Viggs in tow, and saw the ensuing chaos. Unsheathing her shortsword, she called out to the Harpies, “I have your princess! Cease your attack on your rescuers and attack the ones who binded you to their will for so long!” Upon saying that, she tripped Viggs and sat on him to ensure the Harpies wouldn’t attack him.

The harpies chasing Faith stopped, as did those swarming the surviving soldiers. They stared down at the harpy chick in her arms. One of the bandits made a dash for Titania, only for two of the winged beasts to swoop down and rip into him.

The scene turned into absolute carnage. The Hunters and soldiers alike had to flee the camp to avoid being swept into it. The next twenty minutes were filled with the screams of the bandits fighting, fleeing, and begging. In the end, the group slowly walked back into the camp, not a single bandit left alive, or in one piece for that matter. Several of the harpies flew overhead to make sure none of the bandits escaped while the largest of them, flanked by the second and third largest of them, landed before the Hunters and eyed Titania.

“Thank you for your assistance. We wouldn’t win against you and the bandits. But most of all, thank Tena and Leena. They told us what happened. Now, before I hand your princess back, who is adorable by the way, I need to ask you for two things; One don’t kill the man I’m sitting on, as I made a deal with him and two, once I hand back your chick, please don’t attack any of my Hunters or the soldiers following us. So… do you promise to honor those requests?” Titania pleaded, sheathing her shortsword.

The trio of harpies briefly conversed, and the large one stepped forward. “Agreed. We will not attack any of you,” she said, her Doloran much more fluent than the others. “We tire of being in the world of man. We simply wish to return to the Evenasa mountains with our princess. This did not leave a good impression with our Queen back home. Knowing that we were assisted by the vary beings that angered us will… smooth tensions.”

Eraqus softly said, “This explains why there have been an increase in harpy attacks in Serasam…”

Zulik let out a sigh of relief. “Glad to see that we’re all on the same page… now, can we get home and rest? That was more exhausting than I thought it would be.”

“Yeah, we will, just… give me a moment.” Titania then cautiously drew her dagger, but flipped it so she held the blade. “Tell your queen I’m sorry of what occurred here today. Take this dagger, and tell her House Regallis of Bevland will help in any future conflicts. Just, uh, make sure to show my Bevlanders the dagger first, before trying to engage them in diplomacy.” The Thrope whispered, offering both her dagger, and the chick, whose head she kissed.

The harpy took her, being a variety with arms. She placed the dagger in her belt and bowed her head. As she screeched to get the other harpies’ attention, the chick looked at Titania with her big, vivid eyes, almost like she was trying to memorize her face. Before the harpies jumped up and flew off to the east, Titania could swear the chick smiled at her.

Eraqus let out a long sigh. “Come on… let’s go home.” He looked down at Viggs. “Is he… I’m sorry, who is he?”

“His name is Viggs, and he’s the last of the bandits. He actually cooperated with my demands, and so, he’s still alive. Our original deal was if he acted faithfully and helped me I’d let him go, and give him some gold for the way. But… he’s kinda grown on me, so… Viggs. I think I could do with someone helping me with various things at the Guild, kind of like a helper, one who would be paid. Unless Eraqus has some objection to the person who saved him not too long ago?”

Eraqus gave Viggs a wink. “Wouldn’t be the first thief or bandit to join the guild.” He motioned for Zulik and Faith to follow him.

“Jeez, boss, I’m not sure if I…” Viggs looked over at the soldiers, a few looking at him and whispering. Viggs laughed nervously and said, “Thanks for takin’ me along, boss! Sounds like it’ll be loadsa fun!”

“Don’t worry, Viggs. If you don’t like it too much, I’ll let you go. I just was thinking that maybe you’d want a better job, one where you have a much longer life expectancy, and way better pay.” Titania replied, winking at the bandit as she walked over to where the others had gone. Viggs blushed briefly, and ran to catch up.

ExoGrim

ExoGrim and Dahlexpert: A Mysterious Traveler

Charter is measuring Slone getting his height. “Alright Slone, it’s about time I gave you some armor. You’re too exposed to weapons and yes… you're getting a saddle.” Slone growled and shifted his body to land on his master. “Get off!”

A figure in a brown cloaked approached the warrior and his dire wolf. “A wolf for a pet? That is quite an interesting feat… what do they call you?”

Slone immediately got off his master, and howled. A few seconds later the entire pack came out of the woods and surrounded the woman. “Enough! Just stand down for now.” The wolves still circled the woman keeping her in one place ready to attack. Charter approached the woman and said to her. “Really might want reconsider walking into a dire wolves den, it’s not safe. Name’s Charter and I’m the one keeping you from being torn apart right now.”

The woman chuckled. “Dire wolves… such intriguing creatures. Larger than counterparts… yet are able to live with them in harmony. Why is it that we humans don’t share this similar bond? Do we see ourselves as better than others? Or is it just a conflict of culture?”

“Oh great you're a visionary, look lady why are you sneaking in the woods? This place is very guarded.” Charter trailed off and sees a faceless black creature, and a woman in a hood.

“I’ve never heard the term visionary before…” The woman remarked, before noticing his sight trail off. “Something bothering you, sir Charter?”

Charter looked back at the woman and looked back where the creature was, and it was gone. Charter rubbed his head. “Yea, just haven’t slept for a few days, um what’s your name?”

“My name is Melinda Silendis.” The figure responded. If Charter were to look down, he would notice that her shadow was facing the sun, rather than away from it. It looked almost as if it was unnatural or altered in some way.

Charter finally looked at the woman’s shadow. He then drew his sword and lunged it into the ground were the shadow was.

The shadow didn’t budge, but this caught Melinda by surprise. By reaction, she pulled out her sword and dagger. “I do not wish to fight you… but I will if I must.”

“What the hell is with your shadow? Why is it facing the sun and not away from it?”

The woman looked down at her shadow. “I had not realized that it did that… I do not have an answer to your question. Most of my life and it’s capabilities are mysteries to even me.”

“That’s kind of a bullshit excuse.” Charter shook his head. “I’m sorry the gods have been tormenting me lately, so I’m not in my right state of mind right now.”

Melinda let out small sigh. “No need to worry, sir Charter. The gods are different from us… making it hard to form lasting relations with them. Often we just give them reasons to hate us more.”

“Yea, anyway, why are you here, like I said this place is guarded by these wolves. So, tell me Melinda… why are you out here?”

Melinda collapsed to one knee before she could respond. She managed to slow her breathing and answer. “I came here looking for food… something I have gone two day without. The lack of nutrition is starting to take it’s toll.”

Charter picked up the woman and brought her into the wolves den. Luckily for her, Charter was cooking what him and his wolves were hunting earlier. “Here eat this, buffalo meat should fill you up just fine.”

Melinda began devouring the meat that Charter gave her. After she was finished, she pulled out a handkerchief and wiped her mouth. “Thank you… sir Charter.”

“It’s what I do.” Charter pulled more meat from the buffalo and put it on the fire. Charter then offered the woman the wine he had, earlier. “It’s not water but it’s a drink nonetheless, so drink up.”

Melinda took a drink of the wine, and immediately spit it out. “What is this atrocious drink?”

“It’s called wine, now quit your whining and drink it. I don’t have any pure water on me right now so drink!”

“I have no intention of consuming such a preposterous drink.” The cloaked woman retorted. “Water is much easier to purify and stomach.”

“Okay let me put this bluntly, if I leave you to get you water, they will maul you.” Charter pointed to his wolves. “Look just work with me for right now, don’t want you to pass out from dehydration and I don’t want to bring a random stranger to the manor. So please drink up, I promise when your better and able to walk, I will get you water alright.”

Melinda stood up. “I thank you for your hospitality, but I am fine. I obtained water from a lake not too long ago. For now, I must leave. I hope we meet again… sir Charter."

“Wait, why are you here? What are you looking for? Maybe I can help you.”

“I have no need for assistance.” The cloaked woman stated, making her way out of the wolve’s den. “I can find what I’m looking for on my own.”

“And what is it that you are looking for?” Charter followed the woman, just to be sure his wolves won’t do anything to her when he can’t see her.

“Answers…” Melinda put simply.

“Answers, wait what are you looking for exactly?”

Melinda turned to Charter. “I must apologize for this…” She said, before a massive cloud of dark energy erupted from her. The cloud blinded both Charter and his wolves. When the could dispersed, she was gone… no trail to follow.

“What the hell was that, magic? Never saw something like that before, hope she is okay and won’t be passed out anytime soon again.” Charter went back to the den to measure Slone, hoping the woman will be alright.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Dahlexpert & ZombieSplitter53
Be Your Own Person
Part One

March 16th, 3349
6:38 p.m.

Charter looked himself in the mirror, the dream he had a few days previous still lingering in his head. What that woman said to Charter rang in his head constantly. He looked at the mirror again and saw another version of himself.

Aw, look at you. The truth hurts, doesn't it? You know, everything that woman said was true about you.

"She doesn't know me. I swore an oath to defend the weak and protect the innocent."

Sure, you can hide behind that oath all you want, but you can't fool me. I know you like the attention. I know you enjoy the killing. The adrenaline you get when the battle starts You are nothing more than a killer that hides behind a stupid oath."

"Shut up, I am nothing like that!" Charter saw another person behind him in the mirror. It was the woman he fed to his wolves. She slowly reached out, and he could feel her grab his shoulder.

"Hey, buddy?" Edminfar shook him a bit. "You okay there?"

Charter grabbed the man by his throat, and started choking him. Charter then snapped out of it, and slammed the bathroom door closed and locked it.

Ed coughed and held his throat. "Man... that's some grip..." Ed floated over to the stall and knocked on it. "Yo! You having an episode or what?"

"Go away!" Charter could still see a more twisted version of himself.

Aw, look at you, nearly killing an old man. Already accepting your more killer self, aren't you?

"Shut up, shut up, shut up! I am not a killer, I kill for others and in self defense, not for fun!" Charter shouted outside the bath.

"I didn't say..." Ed stroked his chin. "Look, stay in there for a tick. I'll go get some help." He quickly turned and flew down the hall.

Just admit it, you enjoy killing. When you ordered your wolves to tear apart that woman on our first mission, you enjoyed it. Just admit it, you lost everything. You're no longer with the legion. You have no oath to anyone, so just accept."

Charter started to smile a bit. Part of him did enjoy the killing. But then he remember what his father told him. Charter, the reason I'm kicking you out of the legion is so you can be your own person, and not rely on the legion or have it to fall back on if things go sour for you.

Charter looked himself in the mirror. “My own man, huh? Yeah, alright. It's going to take time, but I have a few ways to do that." Charter looked in one of the shelves and pulled out a pair of scissors. He realized he looked more like a homeless man then a noble one. "Time for a shave and a new cut, I recon."

After a few minutes, he could hear talking outside the door. "This better be good, lech. I have work to do, you know? And few subordinates I can trust it to while I drown myself in alcohol." A knock on the door followed. "Hello? I was told someone was having some kind of mental breakdown."

Charter came out of the bathroom, looking different. His hair, once long and down to his neck, was now short, and he had cut his beard. "Um, right... sorry for that. I was having an episode, but I'm okay for now."

Erin and Ed exchanged a worried look. "I see." Erin cleared her throat. "Do you mind coming to my lab so I can examine you, just in case?"

"I will come to see you later Erin. Thanks, but first..." Charter bowed his head. “I’'m sorry for what I did, old man. I’ve recently been plagued by nightmares and I’ve not been in my right frame of mind. So for that, I'm sorry."

Ed rubbed his neck. "Yeah, no problem. Just... be careful, alright? Dreams can really mess a person up."

"If you had the dream I had, then it would definitely break you. Wait, you’re the blacksmith around here, right?"

Ed folded his arms and nodded. "That's right. And you're the guy that took sweet little Esmeralda off the market, right?"

"Yes, listen. I need a favor from you. Think you can do something for me? I can help you if you want."

Ed nodded. "I'm listening. What do you have for me?"

"I need some new... well, everything. Armor, weapons, the whole shebang. And I think I have materials for you to use to make me these things. I have a very big order. And if you need help, I will be happy to help you."

"Alright. I can set you up. New armor, upgrade your weapons." Ed narrowed his good eye. "You got the coins to pay for it, right?"

"Of course I do. I will meet you in the armory soon." Charter then looked at Erin. "Oh, and Erin, once I'm done at the forge, I will talk to you about something else. If you can do it, great. If not, it will be nice to see my pup again."

Erin nodded. "Don't forget. You need to be examined." She gave him a serious look, then walked off.

Ed himself limped off himself, calling back, "I'll start setting up the plans. See you in a bit."

"Right, see you soon old man." After a few minutes, Charter went to the armory with his weapons and armor. "Alright, this is the material. My armor, sword, shield, bow, dagger, and finally the big one…” Charter put the poleaxe in the mix. "Think you can break all this down?"

Ed looked it over. "Most of it. Bow's wood is too warped though. It'll need to be replaced completely." He looked up at Charter. "So what are we doing? Repair, rebuild, or replace?"

“Melting down and making something new out of them. I need, lighter armor, a crossbow, a good sword, and a heavy shield. Now, as for the dagger..." Charter took off his medallion, which represented that he was with the iron legion. It was black stone, unlike anything seen before. "This stone is the product of lava cooling. It leaves behind a black stone. Can the dagger be made from this?"

"Interesting. Hmm..." Edminfar rubbed his chin. "Crossbow will have to be made from the ground up. I can make one to your specifications, or you can but one of the ones I have on display. I can make the armor lighter and use the excess material to strengthen the shield, but I'll need to use some of my own material to make the sword better." He grinned. "I got some really good mythril in for the center of you're willing to pay a little more."

"Money is no issue. I never cared for it. I also have a few other request. My companion Slone, he also needs some armor that makes it easier for me to ride on him as well as give him some good defense. And are throwing knives possible, or will that be asking for too much? I know I'm asking a lot of you old man, but I'm willing to help you at any cost."

Ed raised an eyebrow. "I might be old, but I'm not out of it yet. I'll throw in a good set of throwing knives for free with everything you're getting. So we got lighter armor, stronger sword, sturdier shield, a dagger made of molten volcanic rock, a set of daggers, a new crossbow, and armor for Slone, your..." He scratched his head. "Horse?"

"Dire wolf, raised since he was a puppy. I love him to death. Now, shall we get started? Oh, by the way, my name is Charter Van dam, and once again, I'm sorry for choking you earlier."

Ed chuckled and offered his hand. "Call me Ed. And if you're willing to help, pull up those sleeves. We have a lot of work to do just to get us started."

"Yes sir!" Charter got one last look at his armor, all the dents and damage init from the years of battle. He also looked at his medallion that represent that he was with the iron legion and put them all into the forge along with his weapons.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Be Your Own Person
Part Two

Hours later, after castes were set and metal left to cool, Ed sent Charter away for the night. Over in the main lab, Erin had the dire wolf pup on a table and was slowly brushing his fur. "You know... I might actually miss you. But don't tell anyone I told you that."

"Too late for that." Charter entered the room, looking at Blisk and rubbing his head. "Hey little guy, I missed you." The baby dire wolf licked Charter's hand.

Erin smiled. "My tests are done, my samples are taken and catalogued. I think he has been away from his mother long enough, so I return him to you, healthier and stronger then when he arrived."

Charter picked up the dire wolf. "Is that right? You’re stronger huh? Aren't you boy?" The baby dire wolf licked Charter's face. He then heard something falling on the other end of the room. "What was that?"

Erin glanced back. "Oh, uh... just an experiment. Nothing to worry about. Um... I was going to examine you, right?"

"Hmm. Yeah, I know what the cause is for my breakdown Erin. I don't need an examination. It's the nightmare I had a few days ago."

Erin sighed. "Well, I can't force you to get an examination. Must have bee some nightmare, though."

"Yeah, the fact that my nightmare led to me fighting a Night-gaunt. Right here in the manor!"

"That... is quite the nightmare..." Erin took a deep breath. People don't usually see Night-gaunts in their dreams... and you are the second person to say you did. That is... quite troubling."

"Yeah except I gutted the damn thing.Traces of its ‘blood’ are still in my room, and the cut he left on me to." Charter showed Erin the cut on his wrist.

Erin grabbed his wrist, pulling it towards her. She grabbed a glassy green stone with a round hole in its center out of her pocket and looked at the wound through it. "You mean you fought it in your actual room? You really didn't think this was worth examining?"

"Like I said, I fought the thing. How many people can say that. That injury is because it scratched me. How many people can say the fought one of those?"

"It poisoned you, you clod!" Erin rushed towards the back. After sounding like she was arguing with someone for a moment, she returned with a small vile. "Here, pour this on the wound. And yes, it is going to hurt... a lot."

He poured the potion on his wound, and yelled at the pain. He continued to pour more of it and his wrists started to feel better. "Gods, that hurts."

"Yes, well, it would have hurt more when the arcane poisoning started to eat away at you." Erin looked through her stone again and smiled. "That's better. You handled that well, Mr. Van Dam."

"I'm used to pain. So Erin, who are you hiding? The noise, you sounding like you're arguing with someone. Something you don't want me to see?"

Erin jumped a bit. After a moment's thought, she grinned and said, "Oh, just a big, scary demon! Hideous creature. Killed ten men before it was caught! Of course, I have it under complete control, so no need to worry."

"Demon!" Character broke the bottle for a large shard of glass and went to where Erin was. "This should only take a few minutes. Don't worry, I'll get rid of it."

"What? No! I-it is an important specimen, a-a-and under control!" Erin grabbed his arm, but was only dragged along with him.

Reaching the back, Charter found it odd there was no cage for the demon. Just when he was about to ask Erin if she was lying, he spotted movement overhead. A pair of glowing, pink eyes glared at him from the shadows on a shelf, a low growl sounding out. "Rpamj hgnld he rpgh lbnxm, rpamj dnli," it snarled in a demonic voice.

"Erin, why is that thing not in a cage... or dead?"

Erin stepped in front of him. "Mr. Van Dam, I was exaggerating. She isn't dangerous at all!"

"Go or die!" Eliza growled. "Eat man's heart!"

"It learned to speak our language." Character put the glass shard down, and grabbed the demon." Huh, never seen a demon before. Small… that's interesting."

Eliza struggled in his grasp, snarling angrily. "Th-that's because I taught her... sorta. I mean, she kinda learned on her own just listening." Erin bit her lip as she watched.

Eliza clawed at his face. "Let go! Kill you! LET GO!"

"Agh!" Character dropped the demon child. Once on the ground, Blisk got in between the two of them. The young demon’s usual playmate gave his friend an angry look.

Eliza backed away, more out of worry about Blisk then fear. "Ro mgl oep denjv hrni? Eliza friend. Man want hurt Eliza. Hurt Erin." She reached out for the Dire Wolf.

"Blisk, stand down boy." Blink instantly went back to normal and walked the little demon, and started to lick her.

Eliza hugged the wolf tightly, cradling him and burying her face into his fur. "Please, Mr. Van Dam." Erin stepped next to him. "I was embellishing because I expected you to want to avoid a demon, not charge right up to it. She is a demon as far as I can tell, but she is only six days old. And other then an unusually quick growth rate, I've seen nothing to warrant concern. Please, she... you just scared her, and that's how he reacts."

Character went to the happy pair, and removed Blisk from Eliza. Character gently picked up Eliza and looked at her. "You understand me, don't you?" Eliza looked at Charter, realizing one of his eyes was the same color as hers.

She slowly nodded. "N pjdlgihmjd. Understand. I learn."

"I'll make this clear then. You don't kill my friends, I won't kill you, or get that little guy’s parents to attack you. Alright?"

Eliza narrowed her eyes. "You charge at me. You grab me. No can trust. Dlslwhnwl rpamj. You hurt Amam, I kill. Kill you and per-ants!"

"Try and kill me and Blisk there will show his fangs to you. But since you and him seem buddy buddy, I don't want that do that. I'm sorry for attacking you. I was expecting a fully grown demon, not a child, okay?"

She moved her face close to his. "So you kill Eliza when big? That what say?"

"If you become a regular demon, then yes, but you have given me no reason to think you will be. So just stay a good girl and we will be fine. I'll even let you keep Blisk. How's that sound?"

Eliza looked down at the Dire Wolf. "I like Blisk. Amam tells me no eat, so I play. Fun. But..." Eliza looked back to Charter. "What I do so Eliza regular demon?"

"I have some books I can give to your handler/mom. Now go, play with Blisk." He put Eliza down so she can play with her dire wolf.

As she did, Erin grabbed Charter's arm, rather harshly, and pulled him to the side.

"Can help you, Erin?"

"What do you think you're doing?" she asked in an angry whisper. "Threatening her? Talking to her about 'regular demons'? You're going to ruin everything I am trying to accomplish!"

"Erin, take this from a guy that knows what he's talking about. Denying something for what it is will end horribly. Take me and Slone. Slone is a dire wolf, and he's alpha predator and that's all people see. That's why I don't bring him to any city or village. So when Eliza gets bigger, and if she gets curious one day and sees other people, and they do what I try to do, what will you do then?"

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Be Your Own Person
Part Three

Erin sighed. "I... I'm just trying to teach her that she doesn't have to be like other demons, okay? Slone is a wild, vicious creature, but you have taught him to be civil. I believe I can do the same with Eliza. I will teach her how most people will view her in time, but I don't want her learning that she can't trust humans... at least not yet." She pointed an angry finger at him. "And you are not to teach her that being a 'regular demon' means killing people and whatnot. I want her to think what I am teaching her is normal, and those other demons are bad, not that they are just doing what all demons do. Do you understand what I am trying to say?"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it, alright? Look, if she knows what's right and wrong, then she's already better than other demons. Just be careful alright? We're friends and I worry, that's all."

Erin's expression softened, and she nodded. "Thank you. I... I realize I might be playing with fire here. When her egg first hatched, I was... well, terrified. I figured we would be disposing of her like a rabid animal. It was Betty that convinced me that she... shouldn't be treated like a killer until she actually does something wrong, and that maybe we can teach her different." She looked back at Eliza, on all fours and circling her canine friend before pouncing and rolling around with him, all while giggling gleefully. "And you know, she kinda grows on you."

"Yeah, I was taught to hate demons, like everyone else. But I'm trying to be different now. It's hard but I'm trying. Anyway, the main reason I wanted to talk was to ask, can you enchant weapons or armor?"

"An enchantment?" Erin nodded. "Sure, a temporary enchantment. What kind of enchantment were you thinking of?"

"I'm not familiar with them. As a non-mage, it sounds like a pain in the ass. So do you mind telling me what enchantments there are?"

"Well, quite a few," Erin answered. "There are basic embuing of elements to your weapon. I can enchant a weapon to absorb elements to, offering a small amount of protection. Then there are enchanments against particular foes. Flying creatures, aquatic creatures, um... demons. Finally, some enchanments just make a weapon better for a short while. Making it sharper, making it more durable, even over to make it lighter or heavier."

"Well, they all sound good, but think you could just enchant my shield to absorb magic? And what's best for, say, a dagger and a crossbow?"

"I would say durability. Making them stronger should increase their piercing power against armor and tough hides."

"That sounds pretty good. Now as for my main weapon, my sword… listen Erin, I know I'm asking a lot from you, especially after what I did to Eliza there. But any idea on what you can do with my sword?"

Erin nodded. "The next time you have a Hunt, you can tell me what it will be against. I'll give you an enchantment made specifically for what you'll be facing." She smiled. "It is a little much, but I do still owe you for lending me the pup, so we'll just call it even."

"Thanks Erin. Now if you’ll excuse me, it's pretty late. I should go and check up on the old man, see if my armor and weapons are done. If so, I'll visit you tomorrow for those enchantments."

"Of course." Erin looked back. "Are you really leaving Blisk?"

"Yep. Eliza could use a friend and a loyal companion, plus look at them. I couldn't separate them if I wanted to. Just bring him to my room every so often so I can take him to his mother and father."

Erin nodded. "Goodnight, Mr. Van Dam. See you soon.""

Goodnight Erin. Eliza." Character left and walked back to the forge." Hey Ed, is my order ready?"

The forge was quiet, everyone off tho bed for the night, just leaving the usual skeleton crew. Ed sat near the back, a glass of brandy at his side, a large cigar that almost looked comical given his size in his hand. He gave a gruff laugh. "Patience, Charter, patience. Most of the gear should be ready by morning, but I take pride in my weapons. All done the old fashion way. You'll need to give me a couple days for the sword and dagger."

"Ugh. Well since I don't want to go to sleep, think I can help you with any of this stuff before I decide to just go and make potions and a few new poisons I've been waiting to make."

"Nah... but you can join me for a drink if you'd like." Ed motioned to the nearby stool. "A good drink is best shared. You wanna cigar?"

"I don't smoke, sorry." Character grabbed the drink and poured himself a glass. He took a sip and said, “This is good."

"Straight from Elluviana. They make some of the best beverages of every variety." Edminfar leaned forward, giving Charter a serious look. "You treating Esmeralda right, boy?"

"Don't think that's any of your business sir, but to be polite, yes I'm treating her right, or I think I am. Not used to this whole romance thing."

Ed let out another laugh, taking a drag from his cigar and blowing the smoke away from Charter. "Forgive me, my boy. I just find that girl special. She is a woman, but with an almost child like innocence. Even someone like me is hesitant to get flirty with her. I want to be sure she gets a good man."

"I'm good. I'm just going through a change. I was just kick outta of my family army. So I'm going through some hard times."

Ed nodded slowly, taking a long drink. "I... have some idea what it is like to have family related troubles. But that, young man, is where having someone to lean on comes in handy. Don't go it alone. Let Esmeralda help you through your troubles. I am sure it is what she wants."

"Yeah, I know she does. It's why I care for her. Her kindness is endless." Charter took a long drink from the brandy. "She truly is too kind for me."

"Then pay her back for her kindness." Ed scooted forward with a grin. "You know, the Elluviana import store I got this Brandy from also sells their exclusive, hand made milk chocolates. A little pricey, but rumor has it that Es is crazy for them, and Lady Nichola's Day is only a few days from now."

"Ugh, the amount of money I dropped with the new weapons and armor, plus the enchantments for them... that's a lot of money I just spent. Well, it's not like there are no little jobs around. Hmm… are there an arenas around?"

Ed scratched his chin. "Some of the Hunters hold fights in the nearby city. Not exactly legal or sanctioned by Lady Havenbrook, but she turns a blind eye as long as they don't cause any trouble since it lets them blow off steam." Ed reached to the side and grabbed a few silver coins, tossing them to Charter. "This is for your help today, by the way. I appriciate you wanting to help since the order is so big, but I don't like having people work for free. So the least I can do is take a little off what you owned me."

"Well, it's a start. I could find a small bandit camp. Raid it and sell their weapons and armor off. That’s what I did before coming here. I could do that again, or find other means of getting the money."

"Just don't do anything to dangerous," Ed warned, leaning back in his chair. "She'd be might upset to learn you got hurt getting her a gift."

"I will try. Might have to use the weapons around here since mine are, well... gone. I will try and be careful. Feels weird having someone care for me that isn't family."

Ed finished his drink and put out his cigar. "You can borrow whatever you need until your stuff is done. Just don't break anything." He limped over to his room, waving his artificial arm and calling back, "And get used to being cared about. We're all family here, after all."

"Heh, yeah. My new family. And I will do what I can to protect them."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
ExoGrim & ZombieSplitter53
Shadowmancer

March 16th, 3349
6:14 p.m.

The sun began to set on the Havenbrook Manor. As dawn became dusk, a cloaked figure approached the gates. Her shadow seemed to be facing the light, rather than away… giving the figure an ominous vibe as she made it closer to the guards of the Manor. She stopped in front of them, keeping her head low to hide her face, and said. “I wish to enter…”

They exchanged a glance, and one knelt down to try and get a look at her face. “Are you here on business?”

“That is none of your concern…” The figure stated, turning in order to keep the guard from seeing her. “All you must know is that I wish to speak with the one in charge.”

“None of our concern.” He looked back to his partner with an annoyed look.

She shook her head. “This is such a thankless job.” She turned and opened the gate. “Come on. I’ll show you inside.”

“No need.” The figure stated, walking past the guard. “I have an idea of where I need to go.”

“Now hold on!” the female guard grabbed her shoulder. “You can’t just refuse to tell us why you’re here then go off on your own. How do we know you’re not an assassin.”

A shadowy tendril emerged from the cloaked woman’s cloak, pointing at the guard’s throat. “I do not wish to cause you harm, but I will do what I must to ensure I’m not interrupted.”

The guard took a step back. “R-right. Just… ahem, don’t pull anything. You’ll be taken down in seconds if you do.”

The shadow withdrew and the figure proceeded down to the manor. She pulled out the old, tattered map that she found many years ago, examining it to make sure this was the right place. Indeed it was. The woman followed it, stopping at the door to Mina’s office. After a few minutes, she gently knocked on the door.

Mina looked up from the pile of paperwork before her. New hunts, communiques with the New Vento city constables, an appeal for the Guild’s missing Hunter, and orders regarding a certain rare item she was expected to deliver. Sighing, she slowly pushed them to the side. “Come in.”

The figure slowly opened the door to the room, her shadow still facing the same direction it was when she was outside. “Are you the one in charge of this place?” The woman asked.

“Uuuuhhh…” Mina slowly took the woman in before nodding. “Yeah… that would be me.”

The woman looked at Mina, examining her form and gear. “If I remember correctly, this is a Hunter's Guild… is it not?”

“That is correct.” Mina folded her hands. “Here to apply? We always welcome newcomers.”

“Yes, I am here to become a Hunter.” The figure said, taking off her hood. Her long hair was pure white and her brown eyes stood out from her pale skin. “My name is Melinda Silendis… may I ask yours?”

“Wilhelmina Havenbrook.” Mina stood up and offered her hand to the pale newcomer. “A pleasure.”

Melinda took the hand and shook it briefly. “How does getting in work, lady Wilhelmina?”

“Oh, it’s fairly simple. I take down your information, you sign a contract, and you’re onboard.” Mina pulled out a few bits of paperwork. “Where are you from? And your age?”

“I hail from Bevland and I am twenty-four years of age.” The pale woman answered.

“And what brings you all the way to Serasam? Why pick our Guild?”

“I used to be apprenticed to a blacksmith…” Melinda replied. “He always talked about how one day he would come here and become a legend. He, unfortunately, had gotten too old for travel… so I figured that I would take it upon myself to join.”

“Interesting.” Mina smiled at her. “And what do you fight with. Any special talents?”

The white haired woman pulled out her sword and dagger. “There nothing too fancy, just average trick weapons. The sword can extend into a whip and the dagger as a pistol barrel attached to it. Other than that… I have the ability to control and create shadows.”

“Oh, really?” Mina put her pen down and stood up, walking around the desk. “Can you show me a trick or two?”

“I’d prefer to do it in more of an open area…” The woman stated. “Perhaps the two of us could spar? It would give you an idea of my skill.”

“You wanna spar with me?” Mina rubbed her chin. “Well, I could use a test of my own skills. Sure. Follow me downstairs.”

Melinda followed Mina down the stairs and to the training grounds. She prepped her sword and dagger before taking off her cloak, revealing her black jacket and leather armor.

“We using real weapons?” Mina asked, pulling out her Saber. She stretched a bit, moving her neck back and forth.

“I am not proficient in any weapon that can be made of wood, so I choose to practice with real ones.” The pale woman remarked, stretching as well.

“Very well. Let’s be careful though. I can’t go injuring new recruits, and it would look bad for you if you killed the boss on the first day.” Mina took a defensive stance, lifting her sword and pointing it straight ahead.

“That is a fair point…” Melinda said as she lifted her sword. “Let us be as careful as one can possibly be.”

Mina nodded, and slowly circled around Melinda. As she did, she inched closer and closer. When she was two sword-lengths away, she made her move, stepping forward quickly and thrusting.

The pale woman blocked the attack, stepping slightly to the side in order to avoid getting stabbed. Melinda merely stood for a second, waiting for the guild leader’s next move.

Mina followed up with a twirl, her fighting style emphasizing speed and grace. With the sword still extended, she went for a horizontal slash.

A shadow tendril emerged from beneath Melinda, blocking the attack. The pale woman then pressed a button on her sword. The blade separated into several segments, each connected by a copper wire. Melinda slashed at the guild leader with the newly formed whip.

Mina quickly drew her rapier with her free hand. With a precision swing, she knocked the whip of course, though still did a back-flip to get some distance. “Fast, as expected. Didn’t think you would go for it so quickly, though.”

“One must always keep the upper hand in a fight.” Melinda reminded Mina. “Isn’t that right, Lady Wilhelmina?”

“That is preferable, but not always practical. Sometimes, it is better to give some of the edge to your opponent to keep a trick concealed.” Mina rolled her neck, and rushed Melinda again. A few feet away, she quickly threw her rapier at Melinda, and lifted her saber in preparation for the dodge.

Melinda was caught off guard by the throwing of the weapon, barely managing to dodge out of the way of the improvised technique. She quickly channeled her energy and caused shadowy tendrils to wrap around the guild leader’s feet… hoping to prevent any further assault.

Mina saw the move at the last moment possible, rolling forward and skidding to a stop. “So the shadows themselves are an enemy while fighting you, huh? Useful…”

“Yes… It is a talent I developed during my travels…” The white-haired woman replied. “I find it to be one of the keys to finding out who I am.”

“On a quest of self discovery, eh? I can appreciate that.” Mina moved in for a forward assault, moving to and fro in anticipation of another shadow assault.

As anticipated, the shadow tendrils sprung out from Melinda to defend their owner and attack the combatant. Melinda, herself deflect any attacks that were too close for comfort. Though she could not touch the guild leader, she was at least able to hold her own against the fast paced fighter. Then, without warning, tendrils grabbed hold of Mina’s legs… attempting keep hold and extend their influence further up her body.

“Crap.” Unsure how to defend against the move, Mina struggled against the binding shadows to try and get within striking distance of Melinda before it was too late.

Melinda jumped away from the guild leader, seeing that her will was enough to combat the entangling shadows that held her. The pale woman lifted her pistol hand, pointing the pistol on the hilt at Mina. “If this were a fight to the death, I could end it right here.”

“It could.” Mina grinned. “But you forgot the sword I threw behind you.”

“Are you implying that the blade is enchanted?” The pale woman inquire. “Because that would make things more interesting.”

Mina merely smiled, her eyes darting to the side at something behind Melinda. Before Mina could do anything, Melinda sheathed both her weapons and canceled the spell binding the guild leader. “As much as I would like to continue, I fear that we would kill each other if we continue any further with this spar.”

Mina chuckled, and rubbed her sore limbs. “You calling it a draw?”

“For now…” The woman answered. “As we are both tiring and this could become a lethal match if we stayed for too long.”

“Good.” Mina walked over to her rapier and picked it up, twirling it a bit. “Because I was bluffing. My swords aren’t enchanted.”

“I had my suspicions.” Melinda remarked. “But I didn’t want to take any chances.”

Mina laughed. “Regardless, color me impressed. I would love to have you in my guild, if for no other reason then because I would rather my Hunters fight with you, not against you.”

“Glad I could live up to your expectations.” The pale woman said with a smile.

Mina wiped some sweat from her forehead. “Come on, let's finish up that paperwork and get you settled in.”

Melinda followed Mina back into her office and provided the guild leader all the information needed for the rest application.