X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grelite

I dunno, I mean if that happens I personally atleast would be... lesserly motivated to join. I mean that could wreck the entire roleplaying aspect. Because taking the augmentation for becoming a mech soldier is giving up all of your limbs to turn yourself into a living weapon, with the only purpose to serve and kill.... Thats not a light thing for anyone. I mean imagine it for yourself, you, a regular soldier get forced to an operation that will remove all of your limbs and replace them with less than useful mechanical limbs while outside of combat, and into a giant mech in battle. You literally get forced to be turned into a weapon. How would you feel about that? Some of the genetic mods I wouldn't exacly personally mind like the bone genemodding which increases your regeneration(?) or the one that allows you to jump higher. Most of the genemods don't change you exacly too much, I mean I would probably be fine with most of the genemods.
But with him pumping out a daily Enemy Within video, I doubt he'll have time to ask people for opinions. Perhaps another season.

But with him pumping out a daily Enemy Within video, I doubt he'll have time to ask people for opinions. Perhaps another season.

Well yeah it does make sence, I guess you'l just have to try and tie it into your characters story. It will make roleplaying aspect of enemy within a bit more challenging.

Meaningofbread

Maybe in the "official" RP season, he can ask for volunteers once he builds the facility. Or, maybe some people will create a chracter with the idea of being a MEC in mind.

Zain Shah

Personally I don't want my character to be a MEC as it will limit what I can do as a role-player and I don't think that people who post frequently would like to limit their role-playing ideas (you're essentially making it so your character has no emotion).

Zain Shah

I would assume that essentially becoming a robot would remove any humanity in you which includes emotions and there is no tech complex enough to be able to simulate emotions.

Suryce

Game Master
The Mech troopers are cyborgs, not robots. To make someone into an emotionless machine of flesh would be completely pointless (better make a 100% mechanical mech from scratch, like the SHIV, if human mental features have no part in making the thing works) but also, it would be a crime much worse than the already very questionable limbs-removal operation. Vahlen's character is supposed to be very aware about what limits to cross or not with the XCOM researches. The elite version of the Exalt operatives will have some Gene-mods that are unavailable to XCOM soldiers for this very reason. Vahlen won't allow soldiers to be changed into complete monsters.

Oh, and, I'm sure the developers would not want to remove the panic feature to any soldiers, for whatever reason =)

Meaningofbread

The brain isn't removed right? You still have the capacity of emotion. But since your larynx apears to be gone, you might have to TYPE IN ALL CAPS TO GET THE MONOTONE ACROSS.

Grelite

All caps just makes it seem like you are screaming. The power of roleplay, or rather a good roleplayer, is the ability to adapt to any situation.

Surely death without much warning is not something you have to consent to beforehand, which is a much more serious consequence than genetic enhancement or cybernetic implants.

When you join X-COM you have already signed your life away, because you will do anything to protect humanity. Being faced with the fact that they will be forced into something because of their own choice is something that could be made quite interesting, namely to resolve inner conflict. This is what I think made the last few posts for my character in season one so much better than what I had written before that. Because I had my character face his humanity in sight of being psionic.

Zain Shah

Base defence will be interesting because if you fail it, X-COM finishes which means Chris could run into a few "problems" when playing enemy within.

Zain Shah

Hey guys, I'm starting to work on my character for season 5 and I have created a template which is very good for giding basic info about a character, it can also be applied to any "NPC" characters you may have thought of. If you want the template, pm me on youtube (Zain Shah) or here.

ChristopherOdd

Commander
Staff member
Guess what everyone...There will be a lot of XCOM this week ...and next week.

In addition to more Season 3 episodes (every few days), I'll be starting a playthrough of the "Long War" mod that changes a BUNCH of the XCOM Enemy Unknown stuff.

#xcomvibe

Zain Shah

Guess what everyone...There will be a lot of XCOM this week ...and next week.

In addition to more Season 3 episodes (every few days), I'll be starting a playthrough of the "Long War" mod that changes a BUNCH of the XCOM Enemy Unknown stuff.

#xcomvibe

Some pretty crucial info about long war:

• When soldiers become a squaddie, they are given the choice between 2 classes. Their first ability as a squaddie will affect their class eg a sniper/scout squaddie will have the option between lightning reflexes (making the soldier a scout) or squad sight (making the soldier a sniper)
  • More classes will use the rifles as the special weapons will be reserved for 3 classes. A good example is the gunner/rocketeer; if you choose rocketeer, they will use rockets and a rifle or the gunner will use an LMG and a pistol.
  • After a mission, soldier's will be tired for 5 days even if they are not injured. If you take out a tired soldier, their stats will be greatly decreased.
  • Explosive damage has a range so it can fluctuate
  • You will start with a squad of 6 and build it to 8.
  • I know you don't like using SHIVs but they will be crucial in the Long War
  • New abilities for the new classes
  • Your interceptors will level up like your soldiers when they take down alien ships
  • Countries that have withdrawn from X-COM can be won back if you go to the alien base in their country and destroy it.
  • Improved air combat
  • Base management will become harder
  • Wound times increased
Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.