Hunters of Terra Dolor (Role Playing Section)

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Six

Head to the front door, but do not open it. The time shift has already consumed the lobby and you’ll be lost if you go in. The mat right in front of the door has the ring. I’m not sure when you are, so I’ll just put it down there the night before. It will fit your finger perfectly, and has a shiny yellow gemstone. All I need you to do is put it on. Hurry!

Charter wiped his face, opened the gate, and ran to the front. Every fiber of his being wanted to open the door, but he looked down and saw the mat. He lifted it and found the ring with the yellow gemstone. He grabbed it and put it on his ring finger.

He did it just in time. Looking up, he watched as the empty void of white consumed the rest of the manor, the building in its entirety simply gone. Moments later, the void rushed out, consuming everything, including Charter.

Or so it seemed. One moment, all Charter could see is an empty nothingness going on for infinity in every direction. The next moment, in the space of a blink, the world was back. The birds chirped. The water from the nearby fountain splashed as a koi swam inside. And most importantly, the Havenbrook mansion was back, Charter standing at the front door.

“What the? How? Why am I back? What kind of sorcery is this? God of fate, what did you do?!” Charter cried to the heavens.

The door to the manor opened, a Hunter stepping out. She walked a few feet forward, bumping into Charter as she looked down at a book. “Oof!” she cried out, falling to her backside. The man looked down at her, surprised to see it was Seph.

“Seph, you’re back and in one piece! But how are you... I saw you die.”

“What!?” Seph quickly climbed to her feet. “D-did you have some kind of premonition or…” She scrunched her nose in frustration. “Did Germone set you up for this? Tell him if he wants to tease me, he’ll have to do a better job then this.”

“Where is Lady Havenbrook? I have to tell her something now! It’s an emergency!”

“L… Lady Havenbrook?” Seph giggled, then immediately looked like she regretted it. “You didn’t hear me laugh at that, and you should never joke like that again. Listen…” She held up her book. “I finally got this from that crazy librarian, and I intend to enjoy it. Don’t know why they hired her anyway. You… you do whatever you want. It was nice to meet you.”

“Ugh.” Charter grabbed the woman’s shoulder and lifter her up. He gave a look to the new recruit like he could cut her in half. “Mina. Now where was the last place you saw her. Tell me, or I’ll cut your head off! The life of everyone here is in danger! Yours, hers, Esmeralda’s!” Charter started to squeeze her arms, but started to calm down, putting her down. “Look, I’m sorry for threatening you, but I really need to talk to Mina. What… what book did you get anyway?”

Seph opened and closed her mouth, her eyes wide in shock. She slowly lifted the book. “I-It’s called ‘Anything for Love’. I-it’s a romance novel. Um…” She softly cleared her throat. “I-I don’t think Esmeralda is in danger. L-like I said, I just saw her ten minutes ago in the library. W-why don’t you go see her? She could help you find your friend Mina, I’m sure of it.”

“Thank you, you're dismissed. And again, sorry.” As the new hunter ran off, Charter looked at the ring on his finger, wondering what kind of power it had as he made his way to the library.

As he ran along, something seemed off. He saw several people he recognized, but way too many he didn’t. Once he arrived, he found the library wasn’t quite the same. Several books sat on carts, shelves were disorganized and half read. It looked nothing like the well kept, well organized library Es usually kept. “Can I help you, sir,” a young man asked, walking away from one of the shelves.

Charter looked at the man, never seeing him before and looked around the library.”Where the hell is Esmeralda, and who the fuck are you?”

The man’s eyes widened in surprise. “I’m the head librarian. Um… Esmeralda is in the back. She’s supposed to be stacking shelves. If you’d like, you can go make sure she is doing that and not napping again.”

Charter looked confused and went to the back as he thought to himself, What the hell is going on? The library is a mess, there are people here that I don’t recognize. Where am I? He finally reached the back and saw Esmerelda doing something she never done; sleeping on the job. “Es get up. Wake up Es.” Charter gently nudged her, confused beyond belief.

“I-I’m not sleeping…” Esmeralda opened her eyes and blinked sleepily. “I was just resting for a second.” She slowly looked up at Charter. Her hair was messy. Her eyes were sad and baggy. There was something off about her. She normally gave off an aura of joy and happiness. Now, she just looked depressed. “Were you… looking for a book?”

“Es, wha..?” Charter knelt down and looked at his girlfriend, or who seemed to be her. “Es, my love, wha… what happened to you? Why is the library in disarray? Where is your room with all the books in it?”

“M-my room? It’s down the hall, why?” She scratched her head, herself looking confused. “Look, I-I do the best I can here. I get enough of lectures from my boss. You don’t know what it’s like, okay? You… you don’t know what I’ve been through.” She turned her head away. “Just leave me alone, mister. Let me get back to work before I get yelled at again…”

“Mister? Es, do you not recognize me? It’s me, Charter Van Dam, the person you love. I’m the person that was going to take you to Mirandia and give you your own personal library. You love books to an obsessive degree. You were captured by slavers and because of that, you’re afraid of roaches. This is your library! Why did you let it go in disarray?!”

“Don’t mention the slavers!” Esmeralda crumpled up into a ball of sadness. “You don’t know what it’s like! I was a slave for two years! You… y-you don’t know what it was like! Leave me alone!”

“Es, wha... you... you're…. what is going on here?” Charter looked at Esmerelda and held her. “Es, come on, this is not you. You’re cheerful and happy, you love books, and you're kinda a goof ball, but that’s part of your charm. Just go back to that, the woman I fell in love with. This is not you at all.”

“That’s quite enough.” Charter heard the sound of a sword being unsheathed behind him. By the voice, it was Eraqus. “You seem to like going around, tormenting the female residents of this manor, huh? Stand up. Turn around.”

Charter turned around. “Eraqus, my friend, please tell me what is going on. Why is Esmeralda a lackey? Who is that fool in the front of the library, and why are you pointing your sword at me? We’re friends!”

“More weirdos. I don’t have time for this.” Eraqus raised his sword towards Charter’s chest. “I don’t know who you are. But I can not permit… you… toooooo…… ruuuuunnnnnn……….” His words slowed to a stop. It took Charter a moment to realize what was going on, but it seemed like he was frozen. So was Esmeralda, and everything else.

“Sorry about that,” a voice said around the corner. “I was hoping to get to you before he showed up. Guess I was a little late.”

“What the hell is going on here? Why are my friends like this? What happened to the manor? Where am I and what’s going on?!”

“Calm down, my friend, calm down.” A somewhat short man with blond hair and red eyes stepped around the corner. “It is a little complicated. Put simply, someone messed with time in the past and altered the future. As far as I can tell, in this timeline, the guild didn’t save your girlfriend before she was sold into slavery.” He pointed to the ring on Charter’s finger. “And people don’t recognize you because, as long as you have that on, you exist outside of time. As far as the universe is concerned, you never existed. Now, you can take it off and go back to existing, but you’ll forget everything about the universe before, including how Esmeralda used to be.” He smiled softly. “Or you can come with me… and help me put things back to how they were before.”

Charter growled and grabbed the god’s shirt. “Where exactly am I? What is going on, and how does this involve my woman? What in the name of hell is going on?!”

Destani held up his hands. “Look man, I’m sorry you had to see this! But I thought it was important that you knew what was at stake. Like I said, someone screwed with the past. They stole a page from the library of history and used it to change something. It doesn’t just involve her, it involves everyone! The whole timeline for the past twelve years is screwed up. But I can fix this! I just need your help. Now, you can waste time pummeling me if that really makes you feel better. Or, you can come with me, meet with the others, and we can restore time. Help me, and Es will be back to her laughing, smiling, goofy self. Okay?”

Charter let go of the man and looked down at him. “Then we're wasting time. Let’s hurry up and get that page back, and give whoever stole it the punishment they deserve.”

Destani grinned. “That’s what I like to hear!” He held out his hand. “Come on.”

Charted grabbed hold of the god's hand. Just you wait, Es. Elma. Everyone. I will find a way to save you all and fix this mess.

“...around the manor and terrori-” Eraqus looked around, the man before him having vanished. “Where the hell did he go! Son of a bitch!” He shook his head and rushed out of the library to look for him.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Seven

The Main Lab was a bit more lit up then usual, both because Erin was working on paperwork, and to accommodate her guest. Betty sat off to the side and her girlfriend jotted down some notes. “As much as I detest that horrid snake, he left some big shoes to fill,” Erin stated. “I’ve assigned Francesco as head of the secondary labs. I’m not sure if he is up to the task, but the others should be able to assist him. I’ll have to work on teaching him things he is behind on. Might have to ask Mr. Van Dam with that. As much as I hate to admit it, I am not the best when it comes to alchemical potion making without my pot. I…”

She glanced up. It was clear that Betty wasn’t really listening to her, her mind somewhere else. Erin sighed and said, “I’ve also been looking over that contract again in my spare time. Trying to find any legal ways we can claim Eliza and get her back. What's More, I’m trying to think of a way we can trade to get her back. Surely I must have something in my labs or research that would be more valuable to them then her.”

The Fly-Thrope gripped and released her gauntlet over and over sullenly, looking up at Erin after a few seconds. “I… I don’t suppose we could simply… Buy her back? Could we?”

Erin tapped her lips. “I suppose that is not beyond the realm of possibility. Though that produces two questions. One, would they be willing to sell her, and two, if we could possibly afford her.”

“If zhey wouldn’t sell her zhen why would they trade her?” Betty almost snapped, clearly frustrated with everything. After a moment she quickly apologized, “I’m… I’m sorry…”

Erin shook her head. “You have no need to apologize, dear. I am just as desperate to get her back. As I said, I am going over every bit of research I have, every personal belonging, every patent I own. If I have anything at all that I can trade them, I will find it, and we’ll get your baby back.”

“She’s our baby…” The Engineer pointed out, standing up and looking Erin in the eyes. “We took care of her together… And she loves you too.”

Erin slowly nodded. “I didn’t treat her that way at first. You… you’re the one who saw her for the child she is.” Her head sulked, her ears drooping over her face. “I just hope I can make it up to her some day…”

Betty walked over slowly, “You don’t need to do zhat… She… She knows you love her…”

“I sure hope so…” Erin cleared her throat. “Um… what did Veeti think of all this?”

“She’s been… Doing her best to try and cheer me up… But I’ve been… Having a hard time getting her out of my head…” The dark-skinned Thrope explained sadly.

“I understand.” Erin’s ears perked up a bit, and she took Betty’s hand. “Come with me to the back. I have a few magitech devices Lady Havenbrook bought for the guild when she first took over twelve years ago. Maybe we can find a hidden gem back there that’ll be worth a fortune… or, perhaps, worth a little demon girl.”

Gripping the rabbit’s hand in her own, she glanced down on her weapon. “Maybe I could send zhem the schematics for my gauntlet, including for the basilisk gas jets… It’s not much, but zhey might be interested.”

“We have to be careful what we send,” Erin cautioned. “It would have to be a lump sum. Otherwise, we risk offering them one thing, and they keep taking and taking, working off our desire…” Erin skidded to a stop as they reached the back. In the center of one of the older machines, something was spreading across it. It was a pure white hole, some void with nothing beyond it but emptiness. It slowly consumed one machine as another emerged from another machine. Then another.

The Fly stepped back a bit, looking up at her lover. “U-Um Erin? What is zhat?”

“I do not…” Erin reached to the side, grabbing a test tube off the counter. She tossed it at the void, and it fell through, continuing to fall for a second before vanishing. “Whatever it is, I suggest we go not touch it. Um…” Two of the spreading voids touched one another, combining and starting to spread faster. “Perhaps we should leave. Report this to… anyone who is not in the lab.

Betty nodded quickly, regaining her energy as the guild’s safety was in danger. “We can probably get to Ms. Havenbrook’s office in a minute or so if we hurry.”

The pair hurried out the lab. As they passed the secondary lab, they heard screams from within. Several lab techs and mages rushed out. “What happened?!” Erin asked.

“It’s Tevan!” one of them shouted. “Some void thing just started consuming him, and knowing it’s… I don’t know, erasing the whole lab!”

Erin looked up at Betty. “We need to hurry. Who knows where else this is happening.”

As they ran the Tinker quickly asked. “What could be causing zhis!?”

Erin;s eyes darted about in thought. “I… I have never seen this kind of phenomenon. An unknown magical attack? I new kind of celestial corruption? Some kind of disruption in dimensional stability of the world? It could be anything.” She shook her head, clearly at a loss. They reached Mina’s office, the door closed. Erin reached for the doorknob, not noticing the void starting to poke through the door above her.

Betty reflexively grabbed Erin’s hand by the wrist and pulled it back, pointing towards the top of the door.

Erin looked up and took a quick step back. “I… I-I hope she wasn’t in there. Thank you.” She watched as the void consumed the door. “I-I must admit, I am at a bit of a loss for ideas, something I am not used to. What… d-do you have any ideas, dear?”

“U-Uhm…” The Fly quickly brainstormed. “You… Said zhis could be Celestial magic right? What if we use Chaos magic to counter it? Would zhat work?”

“Drayce! H-he can use chaos magic!” Erin grabbed Betty’s hand and ran down the hall. “Come on! Stay close!” They rushed towards Drayce’s room, Erin hoping that his hall hadn’t been consumed as well.

Stop!
A voice cried out in Betty’s head. Round that coming corner, and you’ll be lost!

The voice surprised her, but Betty didn’t take time to question it. “E-Erin Stop!”

Erin skidded to a stop. “What is it?” as she asked, the void emerged for the around the corner, filling the entire hallway. All beyond had been lost beyond it.

That was close. Hey, Fly Girl. Betty, right? Are you the type to trust disembodied voices in your head? Please tell me you are, because that would make this all so much easier.

Well… Since we don’t seem to have any other options now, I’m all ears…
Betty mentally replied.

Excellent. Now, you are in the east hallway, right? Find something… a container of any sort. Like a, uh… a vase! Are there any vases around you?

Picking one on a small table out of the corner of her eye, Betty quickly ran over and picked it up, holding it with both hands. Um… Okay… Now what?

Erin gave her a curious look. “What are you doing?”

Quickly, dump it out, then put it back down. Count to five, then pick it up again. Trust me.

Wh-What? I… Nevermind…
The Fly-Thrope did the puzzle steps the voice explained, dumping it out on the floor, putting it back down, counting to five, then picking it back up again. When she did, she heard a rattling that wasn’t there before. Tipping the vase over her hand, two rings fell off. They looked to be perfect sizes for the two women, both containing a small, yellow gem with a light glow.

Put them on! Hurry!

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Eight

Looking up at Erin, Betty handed her the ring, quickly sliding hers on. “Erin, quick, you have to put zhis on! I know it makes no sense but just do it!”

“Um… not the best time to try on jewelry, but I’ll trust you know what you’re doing.” Erin looked the ring over for a moment before slipping it on.

I swear if you turn out to be evil or something I am going to haunt you!

Me, evil? Nah. Not towards two lovely ladies like you. Now, all that is left is for you to jump into the void.

Betty gulped as she looked into the growing void, noting that there was one rounding the corner behind them as well. She quickly reasoned at if the voice wanted to send them into it and kill them, it wouldn’t have warned them about turning the corner, so she gulped and said. “E-Erin… We don’t have anywhere else to go… We should try to jump in… M-Maybe we can find a way to fix it from in… Wherever zhat goes…”

“Eh…” Erin looked into the emptiness before them and sighed. She reached over and grasped Betty’s hand. “If this does not work, know that I have never been happier then after you and I started dating. I truly mean that.”

“I-I feel ze same way… I love you Erin.” Betty replied, bringing her in for a passionate kiss before stepping her foot inside the strange void. It quickly flowed over her body. There was no pain, only a feeling of nothingness. It completely consumed her, spreading from her hand to Erin’s and taking her too.

A few moments later, Erin slowly looked around the hallway of the manor. The void was gone, and everything was back to the way it was… with some confusing exceptions. “Betty?” Erin turned to the Fly girl. “Are you okay? Everything in order? Not missing any important internal organs?”

Even with her exceptional vision, nothing looked immediately out of the ordinary to the Engineer as she turned back towards Erin. “I… I don’t zhink so… I zhink I’m okay…”

Erin nodded, and looked around. “Something… is different…” She pointed to the side. “The table the vase was on. Both are gone. Replaced with this… tribal mask I am sure I have never seen before.” She scratched her head. “Perhaps we should return to the lab. We can see if we can take some readings, see if anything is off about us.”

“Maybe…” Betty replied, giving the area another look. “Is zhis… Some kind of other world? Like ze dream realm?”

As they walked down the hall, Erin tested her magic. “It doesn’t… feel like a dream world. Though I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility of some alternate world. A parallel universe, perhaps? Or maybe we have shifted through the time… or time has shifted around us.” A few people gave them strange looks as they walked down the hallway. “I know them… but they looked at us like they didn’t know us…”

“Zhis is… Certainly strange…” Betty replied, realizing that she had left her goggles in the other world. “I forgot my goggles in ze panic… Maybe zhat’s why? Zhey probably haven’t seen me without zhem before.”

Erin looked up at her. “Perhaps. I have gotten so used to seeing you without them, I didn’t even notice.” They walked into the smaller main lab, and Erin’s eye twitched. “Someone has moved around all my equipment,” she muttered in irritation.

“May I help you with something?” An Elf walked around the corner. In the dim light, it took the pair a moment to realize it was Alfonda Charmles, the same smug look as ever on his face.

Betty glared as soon as she saw him, “What’re you still doing here.”

“Working in my lab,” he said. “Doing my job. If you’re hunters, I don’t remember calling you…” He narrowed his eyes, then quickly walked up to Betty. “Your eyes are quite fascinating! I have never met a Thrope with insect qualities before…”

“I feel as zhough I am getting Deja vu…” Betty said, looking over at Erin.

Suppressing her anger, Erin poked him in the arm. “Eliza!”

Charmles looked down at her. “Um… I’m Alfondo. It is… nice to meet you, Eliza.” He looked back at Betty. “Are you her caregiver? You really shouldn’t bring children down here.”

“Ch-Children?” Betty asked, clearly confused as she did a double take at Erin.

The rabbit woman snarled. “I am not a child, you buffoon! I am simply… vertically challenged. And I was asking about the demon child.”

“Demon child?” Charmles let out a small growl himself. “You mean the one that came from the egg. Damn it. I was getting such good data from her. She… she had even imprinted on me. Thought of me as her father. But then Fairaven came along and insisted on taking her.” He lowered his gaze. “There was nothing I could do to stop them…”

Erin studied his expression. She took a hold of Betty’s arm and pulled her to the side. “He isn’t our Charmles. He talks like him, acts like him. Might be exactly like him. But wherever we are, he is in charge here. Makes me wonder where I am. If I even exist here.”

“Zhen… Wouldn’t that mean ze same for me…?” Betty hypothesized, looking back at Charmles briefly.

There was suddenly something off about him. He wasn’t breathing. He wasn’t moving. In fact, nothing was moving. Aside from her and Erin, everything seemed frozen.

“You hit the nail on the head. Seems fitting, considering your respective professions.” A young man, with a youthful face, blonde hair, and red eyes walked around a corner. “You’re right. You two don’t exist here. Though that is one of the much smaller changes to this timeline… uh, no offense.”

“Wait… Are-Are you ze one who was talking to me before?” The Fly asked, still holding Erin’s hand.

He bowed deeply. “Destani. God of Fate, at your service.” He smiled. “Too apise your fears, you’re not permanently removed from the timeline. Those fancy rings on your fingers are keeping you that way.”

“So if we were to remove them?” Erin asked, touching hers.

Destani held up his hands. “I wouldn’t do that. Being apart from the flow of time means you aren’t subject to its rules. Take the ring off, and you’ll be put into the timeline, but you’ll also lose all memories of the previous timeline. You know… the one from before everything changed?”

“And we’d just… End up as… Any other person in zhis world?” Betty asked, tilting her head slightly.

The god clapped his hands together and pointed at her. “You catch on faster then most. I knew behind those big, pretty eyes was an even bigger brain. Yes, take the rings off, and you’ll be as clueless to the change in time as anyone else.”

“Besides us being missing, what else has changed,” Erin asked.

“That… is a very good question. One that, without access to the library of history, I can not answer.” He walked over to them. “Nor can I tell you where you would be should you go back. You could be in your same positions, or not even work here. I can tell you, with a brief look around, that the main difference is there is someone besides Lady Havenbrook in the big chair. Maybe something happened to put someone else in that position. Maybe she died. Not sure yet. What I know is that, with your help, we can find out what was changed, when it was changed, and do our absolute damndest to put it back the way it was.” He gave Betty a friendly smile. “Can I count on you? I haven’t led you astray so far, right?”

“True… You haven’t… You did help us through zhat hallway incident…” Betty thought for a moment before looking over at Erin once more. “I have no problems trusting him if you don’t.”

Erin shrugged. “We don’t have a choice. And if you trust him, so do I.”

“Great.” Destani held his hands out to them. “Then let’s go meet the others and fix this mess.”

“The uh… Others?” She questioned, “Who do you mean?”

“Sorry, sister.” Destani said, taking her and Erin’s hands. “I think highly of you, but you two aren’t the only ones I recruited. You’ll see.” With that, the three blinked out of existence.

“Wait, how did you know about the egg?” Charmles looked over at the empty space in front of them. He looked back and forth in confusion. “What? Where… did they go?” he asked no one, scratching his head.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Nine

The sun was high but the Manor was cool as Lyr made his way to Mina’s office. Stepping up to the door, he could hear the sound of arguing within. It was his mother’s and Eraqus voice.

“I’m not saying that some people haven’t been out of line. I… have been out of line. But it isn’t our fault that he stands out. I can count the number of Guilds with Ophidians with a few fingers left over.”

“I don’t care how much he stands out or how uncommon this is, get it done. You seem to forget that under that hard exterior, he is a fifteen year old boy who has lost so much!” A pause. “Do you think any of this is easy for him? He has to get used to a new home in a new country. He has one real friend not including me. And speaking of me, do you think it is easy for him getting used to a mother who is afraid of his kind? I’ve been working on it, but when I see him and I’m not expecting it, my heart skips a beat. And he knows it. It likely tears at him. But he keeps trying. So you will try. Everyone will try. Do you understand?”

Eraqus sighed. “I understand… and I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine, just… work on it. Where is he? Can you go make sure no one jumped him on the way here?”

“Yeah.” Lyr then head Eraqus’ steps approaching the door.

Before he reached the door, Lyr entered himself, stepping in with an apathetic look. Giving a glance at Eraqus that was almost challenging, his gaze turned to his mother, “I can handle things myself mother. I don’t need a babysitter. The big tittied bimbo is there for that. You just keep going as you do. Worry uglies a pretty face.” Her son greeted, walking closer at a lax pace.

Mina held up a hand. “Please, Lyr. I’m not trying to take away from your independance, but I worry about you. That’s kind of my job now, right? After all, you’re still only a teenager.”

“Not many teenagers can say they crossed the perilous desert in Kemar and traveled so far to start again. I can think of only one other who was strong enough to do that and she killed her uncle and started a guild without worrying much about her age,” Raising an eyebrow at Mina’s surprised expression, he added, “You didn’t think I wouldn’t snoop on your history did you?”

Mina slowly glanced at Eraqus, as if to ask for support, but he only shrugged, knowing Lyr had a point. Mina nodded. “You’re right. That is something I had to do twelve years ago. In fact, I was about the same age as you are now. But that… was a murderous drive that I am not very proud of. It isn’t something I would recommend striving for if you can avoid it.”

“I already have a drive. Replacing it would be extremely difficult.” Lyr stated non-descriptively.

His mother raised an eyebrow. “Something I need to be concerned about?”

“Possibly. Who knows truly? Time will have to tell, though I am fairly strong in my aspirations to keep my goal a reality.” Lyr put his hands in his shorts pockets, “That’s all I am willing to disclose.”

“I see.” Mina stated, making a mental note to pry into that later. “Well… if you feel so strongly about my meddling, I will give you your freedom. You are not a little boy, after all. Eraqus, please inform everyone that if they mess with Lyr, he will reciprocate in turn.” She gave the Ophidian a somewhat pleading look. “This is with the understanding that he has no plans to go around picking fights… right?”

“...I make no promises on this subject.” When her eyes began to narrow, he got a bit more straighter, “I-I mean of course I won’t. It would be wrong to pick fights like a school bully!”

She gave him a smirk. “I’m glad we could come to an agreement. I’ve been told a useful skill to have as a parent is the ability to bargain. Now…” She paused, lightly placing a hand on her chest.

“Are you okay?” Eraqus asked, stepping forward.

Mina cleared her throat. “I’m fine. Just a bit of heartburn, I think.” She smiled again at Lyr. “Tell me, have you given any thought to what you would like to do here? Once you’re old enough, if you wanted to be a Hunter…”

“Hm…” Putting a hand on his chin, the young Ophidian gave it some thought, “Well, I perhaps there is only one thing,” he began, pointing a finger at Mina, “When I am older, I am going to fight you. And when I win, I am going to take your job as the Head Hunter.”

Mina laughed. “Well, if that’s the case, I better start training more. A few recent sparring matches have shown me… shown me I… have…” She became very pale all of a sudden. Dropping to one knee, she gripped her chest tightly, her breathing incredibly labored.

Lyr’s eyes widened, the Ophidian rushing forwards, “Mother!”

She breathed faster and faster, sweat pouring down her face. “I don’t… don’t know… i-it feels like… a sword in my chest…” She pulled her hand away. It was covered in blood, as though she had been holding a wound. “What’s happening?”

With his jaw tightening by the second, he turned his head to the side to Eraqus, “What are you doing? Go get someone! NOW!” Lyr demanded.

“Of course!” Eraqus bolted for the door, making a mad dash down the hall.

Mina slowly looked up at Lyr, giving him a pained smile. “Just want you… know… barely know you… already so proud of you…”

Lyr began to shake, his eyes watering, “D-Don’t talk like you are dying. You… you’ll be fine, so… d-don’t talk like that.”

“Of course… of… course…” Mina’s breathing started to slow. Slower. And slower. Then, it stopped. She stopped. Like the dead, frozen in time, she didn’t move. She just stared forward like a statue.

Something more came from the invisible wound. It was a void, a complete emptiness, slowly emerging from her chest. Blankness, whiteness, it crept out, slowly consuming the woman, as if erasing her from existence.

“N-No… No… don’t… don’t take her… please… she… she is all… all I… have…” Tears streamed down the Ophidian’s face, “Whoever’s doing this, show yourself.” he whispered, “I’ll offer myself instead… I’ll challenge you… please… just don’t take the only mother I have left… Please!” he yelled.

Eraqus ran in, a doctor next to him. Looking in bewilderment at the sight before him, he quickly ran over and placed a hand on Lyr’s shoulder. “Step away so the doctor can look at… whatever this is, quickly!”

The young man didn’t move, frozen in place in fear with tears streaming down. “It’s fine, I’ll work around him.” The doctor dropped to Mina’s side, and took hold of her wrist, which moved like he was repositioning a puppet’s arm. “I’m not getting a pulse.” He examined the void that had spread across her abdomen. “Some kind of magic? Perhaps some spreading creature?” He took a scalpel and tried to poke at it. The instrument moved through it as if nothing was there, then disappeared into the void, which itself started to spread onto the doctor’s hand on arm.

As the man screamed in horror, Eraqus watched as he pressed his arm against the carpet, and both it and the floor started to vanish. “Lyr, get away, quick!” he yelled, grabbing the Ophidian’s arm and pulling on him.

Seeming to snap out of it, he moved with Eraqus, rolling along the floor and coming to a stop kneeling. “What the hell is going on? What happened to my mother!?”

“I-I don’t know. We need…” The void continue to spread, consuming everything. It moved up the desk. It ate away at the floor, yet they did not see the floor below. It was as if the very space itself was being consumed. “We have to get out of here. Maybe… find someone in the labs! They can stop this! Reverse it, I’m sure!” He grabbed Lyr’s arm again. “Come on! There is nothing we can do in here.”

“I can’t… I can’t leave her…” Lyr said in a whispered, pulling his arm away. “You go. I refuse to run away when my mother is… when…” Closing his eyes, Lyr shook his head, “I refuse to leave.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Ten

“Alright… alright. But don’t touch…” Eraqus waved his arm. “Whatever this is! I’ll be right back, alright? Be careful, she would never forgive me if I let you die pointlessly.”

The Ophidian didn’t offer up a response verbally, If she is dead, then there is no point in living either...

Now, that is no way to think, a voice said in his head. Especially if there is a way to get her back.

Narrowing his eyes, Lyr took a defensive stance, Who is there!? He demanded angrily.

A friend, though your kind has never considered the gods much of friends. Still, I hope that you are an exception, considering how different you have set yourself up as being from the average Ophidian bandit who abandons the ways of proper Ophidians. I want to help you. I want to help you help her.

Why? What do you get out of it. Who are you?
Lyr asked, his hostility dropping, Can you really help my mother?

I can and I will. And my motivation is simple. I am Destani, god of Fate, and it is my job to oversee time with my father. Someone screwed with time, making off with a page from the library of history. Now, I don’t know if your mother dying is what caused time to change or her dying is one of the results of time changing, but either way we can save her if we fix what was broken. You hear me?

Just tell me what I need to do! She… it isn’t just her I need to save. I can’t let her and her child die! Hurry up and tell me how to fix this!
Lyr pleaded.

Okay, okay! Geez… On the dresser on the right side of the room, there is an old urn. I’ll hide a pair of rings in there at some point, which means they should be in there now. Right size for your finger and the Eraqus guy. Yellow gemstones in them. Put one on, find the Elf, give him the other. Got it?

Without a response, Lyr already was moving to the right side of the room. Taking the urn, he took off the lid and turned it upside down to pour out the contents. As promised, two rings rolled out into his palm. Their gemstones let out a faint glow, and one was obviously oversized for Lyr’s finger.

Taking the one that would fit, he slid it on, then took a look at the room for a moment before running to find Eraqus. He didn’t have to go far. Eraqus was standing in the hallway, only a few feet away. He was completely motionless, simply staring forward, facing away from Lyr.

“Hey, idiot! What are you doing? This is no time to be messing around!” The Ophidian called out.

Eraqus simply stood there, completely silent. After a few more seconds, Lyr could see the void tunneling out from his back.

Damn… we were too late to get him. I’ll have to give the ring to someone else…
The second ring vanished, as if it was never there. Alright… now, there is nothing more you can do here. The time shift will consume everything in no time. You might as well jump into it to save us time.

Jump into what, the nothingness?
Lyr questioned hesitantly.

Yeah, that. A pause. Look, I know how crazy that sounds, but the ring will protect you. You’re going to have to trust me, okay?

I just needed confirmation is all! Shut up!
Lyr let out a growl before turning around and running into Mina’s office and jumped.

As he was consumed, there was nothing but white for as far as the eye could see. The void left an empty feeling in him. Like this was what it felt like to not exist. Mere moments later, however, it was over. Lyr found himself sitting on the floor of the office. The door out and to the adjoining room was closed. No one was inside but him. Everything was back to the way it had been before, as if the events of the past few minutes never happened.

“What the…” Scratching his head, he looked down at his hand and saw the ring, knowing everything had happened before. Um… now what?

Before anyone could answer, the door to the adjoining room opened, its occupant stepping out. “Who… who the hell are you?” he asked, a man Lyr had never met before.

“I could ask the same of you. Where is Mina?” The Ophidian teen asked with a raised eyebrow. “And what are you doing in her office?”

“M… Mina…” The man took a few slow steps towards his desk. “Havenbrook?”

“Yeah.” Lyr crossed his arms, “Can you tell me where she is?”

The man grabbed a sword resting next to his desk. “How do you know her?” he demanded. “You look no older than your teens… and she died twelve years ago.” He pointed his sword at Lyr. “How do you know my niece?”

Lyr blinked several times, scratching his head, Isn’t he supposed to be dead? Hey Destani, you there? What’s the big deal? The Ophidian asked, looking up at the ceiling. To the man, it would seem like he was being completely ignored.

Alfred tilted his head. “Hey! I’m talking to you snake! How do yyoouu knnnnnooooowwww…”

The man stopped moving completely, frozen in place. The door behind Lyr opened, and a young man with blond hair and red eyes stepped in. “Damn, sorry I’m late, I have been very busy with the others.” He looked over to the frozen man. “Hoping to get out of here before you ran into him.”

“Well, considering he is supposed to dead I am assuming we are either in the past or a different time altogether. Am I right?” He doesn’t look that much older than me. Weird.

“Different time, and thank you for being so quick on the uptake.” The stranger grinned. “Only the Fly girl was also so quick.” He bowed his head. “Destani, at your service. And as you say…” He pointed at Alfred. “He is not supposed to be here.”

“He said Mina was dead. God or not, if you lied to me about saving her I’m going to beat you into a whole other plain of existence too. What’s he doing here if he isn’t supposed to be?” Lyr asked in an agitated mood.

“Hmm… quick witted like the fly, quick to violence like the wolf.” Destani shook his head. “Like I said, someone screwed with time. That whole… white void thingy was the universe shifting from the time you know to this time, and that ring keeps you immune from any changes. So, you know… don’t take it off.” He shrugged. “And my job… and your job with me, I’m hoping, is to find out what changed, go back in time, and change it back. Thus setting everything back to the way it was, including taking Mina out of the grave and putting him back in it. So what do you say? You in?”

“I thought you were a god of Fate or something. You should have already known my answer before you even stepped in this room. Where do we start? I know my mother’s past inside and out so I can think of only one point in time where an alteration would mean she wouldn’t exist. And that wound in her chest before she died… it has to be from what I am thinking of.” Lyr deduced as he paced around anxiously.

Destani grinned. “It is that kind of thinking I am looking for.” He extended his hand. “Come on. Let’s go meet with the others.”

“Just… give me one moment.” Turning around, Lyr came before the man frozen in time, making a fist and striking it hard across his face. Turning back around, he tightly grabbed the young God’s hand, “Man that felt good.”

Destani let out a laugh as the two vanished from the room.

“...about me ni-,” Alfred continued before suddenly gripping his face in pain, letting out a small cry as his eyes searched the room for the disappearing Ophidian.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Eleven

The last of the chosen heroes stepped among the others in a white emptiness, Destani’s own personal time bubble as he explained. While here, time would remain practically frozen. The god of Fate looked around the room at those he had saved/recruited. Lyr and Charter. Erin and Betty. Titania, Ferron, and Arlia. He took a deep breath, and began explaining.

“Now that we are all together, I will reiterate what I told some but not all of you. Approximately thirty minutes ago, I discovered that someone had broken into the Library of Time and stolen a page from history. I am not sure who or how, as either a god would have had to break in without me realizing it… quite impossible… or a mortal who could withstand the pressure and atmosphere of our city broke in… unless they were already dead, highly improbable. Whoever it was, they took the page, used it to go back in time, and changed something. Luckily, and luck is the only thing keeping us going right now… they stole a page from an important point in history, something we watch closely. Had they stolen from, say… a year where the most important thing that happened was an unusual hog migration, I likely would not have noticed in time.”

Destani took a deep breath. “And so we are here. Fifteen minutes after I noticed the page had gone missing, whilst watching the world, I saw the first rips in time occur in the Havenbrook Manor. Deducing that whatever changed was linked directly to your guild, I decided to recruit people from said guild, as you seven would have the most to lose. Now, to answer a question our young Ophidian had here, namely how do I not know everything if I am the God of Fate? Simple.” He held up his hands. After a moment, eight rings identical to the ones everyone had one appeared on eight of his fingers. “I, too, am existing outside of the timestream. Even the gods are not immune to the effects of a shift in time, and should I remove my ring…” He wiggled the ring on his left pinky. “...I would lose my memories of the previous timeline, and my powers would no longer keep you immune. And even better news, haha!” He frowned. “It is taking a lot of energy to maintain this magic… which means we have a time limit to boot. Ironic considering all the other time stuff, huh?”

“So…” Betty crossed her arms, looking around at her comrades. “You’re saying one of ze gods has it out for us… I was really hoping zhat wasn’t the case, but zhat’s what everything so far has been pointing towards…”

“Quite possibly,” Destani said. “It is very possible it was a human who snuck in and got the page, assisted by a god. However, we can either investigate that… or work on correcting time. We do not have the time for both. Now…” Ferron quickly raised his hand. Destani sighed. “Yes?”

“Yeah, um…” The Elf looked around the room. “I, um… I see a speedster, a warrior, a strong Ophidian, a high class mage, a skilled engineer, and an assassin. Um… w-why am I here instead of…”

“Someone like Eraqus?” Destani shook his head. “I didn’t want to tell you this, but the answer is because I messed up and he was already affected by the time change before Lyr could give him a ring. I saw you with Titania, and… well, you have a similar ring size.”

“Oh, so… I’m only here… because…” Ferron drooped his head. “I wish you hadn’t told me,” he mumbled, Titania giving him a supportive pat on the shoulder.

“It’s okay Farron, I believe in you.” Betty smiled, looking over to him then back at the god of fate. “So… Even ze other gods are affected… Zhat means we have no allies zhere either… But… Wouldn’t ze people that caused this also be affected? Unless they have rings too.”

Destani shrugged. “It is likely possible that, for the sake of preventing a universe ending paradox, the ones directly responsible retained some memories. And if they didn’t, well… they must have been hoping the positive changes for them outweighed the negative. I doubt they cared if the world burns as long as they get what they want. You have to have that sort of attitude to mess with time.”

Erin scrunched her nose, rubbing her temples. “I hate temporal physics. Only class I ever got a B in. If you don’t have all the info, and we have a time limit, how are we supposed to know when and where to go to fix this?”

The god held up a finger. “We have info to work on. I know the year. Twelve years ago. Lyr, for better or worse, confirmed this with his meeting with Alfred Havenbrook, the uncle your Mina should have killed, but instead she is dead and he is alive. This narrows us down as whatever changed would have been before he was supposed to die, and while it isn’t certain, Mina’s death is likely the direct cause of the time shift, so that narrows our search down further.” He looked around at several surprised faces. “What? Oh… right. Mina dying. Sorry, there was probably a better way to inform you all of that.”

Again, for what felt like the hundredth time, Destani took a deep breath. “But it’s okay! We can narrow this down. That’s what you guys and gals are here for. While I maintain your rings and make sure none of you succumb to the effects of the time change, I have three jobs for you. One, narrow down when, where, and if possible, how Mina died. Two, break into the Havenbrook Manor and find the missing page. While I was in there, I could feel it somewhere within those walls, but I couldn’t narrow it down. And three, distract the Hunters in the manor to even get a chance to look for it.”

He turned to Betty and Erin. “You two will have the physically easiest part of the job, though your success is as critical as any other position. Are you up for it?”

“Zhat uh… Depends doesn’t it…? What would you have us do?” The Fly-Girl asked.

“Well, uh…” Destani chuckled. “Originally, it involved finding a Hunter of the guild who has been there a while, kidnapping them, and forcing them to tell you what they know.”

Erin raised an eyebrow. “Abduction isn’t exactly our forte.”

“Of course not,” the young looking god agreed. “However, Titania was able to uncover the fact that your former head of the armory and forge, Edminfar, is no longer working at the guild. He would have been when Mina was killed, however. I want you two to go find him and find out if he can point us in the right direction. Erin, you’ve known him the longest, and Betty, you can connect with him the most as a fellow tinkerer, right?”

“Yeah, he also had a close connection with my parents…” The Insect Thrope stated, “Although… If I don’t exist here I don’t suppose zhat would help much, would it…?”

Destani smiled. “You might not exist, but your parents, and all you know about them, is very real.”

“He’s right.” Erin looked up at Betty. “Things might have been different for them, but if they still joined the guild and became friends with Ed, that is another advantage you give us. Knowing things about his friends might help us convince him to help us more.”

“I guess that’s true…” She considered before responding. “We’ll do our best.”

“That’s all I expect of you,” Destani said, giving her a light bow. “Lyr and Charter, you two are on the distraction team. Most of you are great fighters, but you two have the most potential for taking blows. Plus, you’ll likely be fighting Eraqus, and you both have a connection to him, if in differing ways. Finally, Arlia and Titania. As our stealthiest and quickest members, respectively, we’ll be counting on you to find that page. Think like someone who would want to hide something very important.”

Ferron watched Destani in silence for several seconds before asking, “And… and me?”

The god looked over to him, a look in his eyes like he had forgot the Elf was there. “Ferron, of course, um… you… have incredibly keen eyes, right? You’ll act as lookout for Titania and Arlia.” He gave the man a forced smile. “I know we can count on you… I hope.”

Ferron nodded. “You can, I promise you.”

Destani tapped his lip. “That is all, unless I forgot… oh!” He clapped his hands together. “Even more important then not taking the rings off, do… not… die. It… would be bad.”

Betty gave the god a concerned look. “Uh… Worse zhan normal?”

Erin looked down at her ring, adjusting it slightly. “We… we exist outside of time and the universe right now. Which means…”

“Exactly.” Destani looked at them all seriously. “You can not return to time as a corpse, so if you die while wearing those rings, that’s it. You’re gone forever. It… it will be like you were never even born. So please, do try to be careful.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Twelve

Some ways to the south of this alternate Havenbrook Manor sat a quiet home, a couple miles out from the nearest city. It was a quaint little place, built in a traditional Netzi design. “This must be the place,” Erin said as she and Betty walked up. “Make sure you don’t bump your head. Guess it pays to be a little short sometimes…”

“Don’t worry, I’m used to zhings being just a little short for me. I grew up with Netzi, remember?” Betty reminded.

“Good point.” Erin stepped up to the door, and took a deep breath. “So, um… what do you think we should do? I mean… if we tell him the truth, he probably won’t believe us, but why else would he help us. A difficult task indeed…”

“Maybe because he… Doesn’t like the new head of ze guild. Ed mentioned to me he would’ve quit if Mina hadn’t come, he cared little for the hunter’s safety, so maybe zhat’s what happened in zhis world?” The Fly girl speculated.

“Another fair point.” Erin knocked on the door. “I just hope the old codger hasn’t kicked the bucket.”

After a minute, the door knob started to wiggle, as though the person on the other side was having trouble opening it. This was likely due to the small hands of the child that was on the other side. “Hello?” He looked up at Betty, and his eyes opened in fright as he let out a small cry.

Betty instinctually reached her hand out, but failed to catch him in time. “Oh no… My eyes…”

“I fail to see what is so frightening about them,” Erin muttered matter-of-factly.

“Bug eye! Bug eye! Help!” The boy yelled childishly as he ran back, the magic in his wings not developed enough to allow him to fly.

After a few minutes, a more mature female Netzi walked around the corner. “What are you talking about, lit-” She looked at the two Thropes with surprise. However, when they didn’t storm the home, she let out a sigh of relief. “I assume you’re not bandits and monsters and my son’s cries are unjustified.”

“You assume correctly,” Erin agreed.

“I promise I am not a monster.” Betty tried to reassure.

“Good to know,” the woman said with a laugh.

Erin bowed her head. “My name is Erin, and she is named Betty.”

“Esmenda,” the female Netzi said,returning the bow.

“If you don’t mind my saying so, your grasp of Doloran is very impressive for… um…” Erin trialed off.

Esmenda only chuckled. “For a Netzi? It’s okay. And it has to be. My father is very insistent on us being fluent. Says it is a disgrace to the fine Netzi race if we sound like simpletons when speaking to other races.”

“Zhat sounds like him…” Betty stated, nodding. “We’re um… Actually looking for your… Father, is he home?”

“Why, yes, he is actually.” Esmenda’s smile faded a bit. “Are you from the Guild?” she asked, eyeing Betty’s gauntlet.

“No,” Erin quickly answered. “Just… engineering enthusiasts. We have heard of a great blacksmith named Edminfar. Betty made this weapon herself, and she wanted him to look it over.”

“Ah, I see.” The woman smiled wide again and stepped to the side. “He’s in the back, down the hallway.” She looked up at Betty. “Mind your head, dear. Can I get you two anything to drink?”

“Um… Tea please, if you have it. Oh um, no lemons.” Betty replied, ducking her way in.

Esmenda floated off to get their refreshments while the pair walked to the back. They past a bedroom on the left and right of the hall, a child sticking their head out of each to watch them curiously. “I did not know Ed had a daughter,” Erin whispered. “Or grandchildren for that matter. I guess there are probably a lot of things I don’t know about him.”

“Or he settled down after leaving…” The Engineer pointed out.

“Perhaps. Though that woman looked like she would have had to have been born before the time change.” Erin stepped up to the room in the back, lightly knocking on it.

“You’re late!” Ed’s voice called out. “You two are always late. Come on in.”

Erin opened the door, letting Betty step in first. When she followed, she gasped when she saw Ed.

It was definitely him, but his injuries were gone. He had both arms, legs, antennae, and eyes. “Who are you two?” he asked, stepping away from his work bench.

Betty seemed quite surprised as well, but that look quickly turned to one of concern. “I um… My name is Betty, zhis is Erin. We came here to see you.”

“Oh, it is my lucky day,” he said with a laugh, seemingly more interested in Betty’s body then her eyes.

Erin rolled her own eyes. “It’s him. We were hoping you could give us some information.”

“Information?” The Netzi grunted. “I guess that depends on what you want to know.”

Erin looked him up and down. “Um… did you have a mission against a rather formidable witch about… sixteen years ago? One that went really bad and resulted in most of your comrades dying?”

Ed raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, I remember that mission. Though it didn’t go that bad. I had two close friends on that mission, and they ended up saving my life.” He glanced over to Erin. “Come to think of it, your accent sounds like one of theirs. Very unique, so it is easy to remember.”

This time, it was Betty’s turn to gasp. “I… Her name wouldn’t happen to be Vesp Vhemmina, would it?”

Ed scratched his chin. “No. Well, her name is Vesp, but I’m pretty sure it’s Vesp Marie. Don’t really refer to each other by our last names much.”

“Zhey’re… Not married?” The Tinkerer thought out loud.

Ed tilted his head in confusion. “Um… no, they’re not. They said something about wanting to get married after having their first kid, but that never happened, and then they got busy with the guild.” He looked at Erin. “Is she okay?”

Erin nodded. “She’s fine.” She pulled Betty to the side and whispered, “Are you okay?”

“Y-Yeah… Zhis is just… Very strange.” She whispered back, then looked back over to Ed. “Um… Zhis may sound… A little crazy… But, my full name is Betty Vhemmina… I’m… Zhey’re daughter… Long lost, you could say?”

Edminfar looked at her like she was crazy. “I… they’re my best friends. I don’t think they’d keep that from me.” He folded his arms. “Tell me something only a friend, or daughter, would know about them.”

“Hmm… Ah! My Mother had a short run in ze circus, my father was a hunter in Themosa before zhey both went to Havenbrook.” Betty answered, recalling his story about them as she sadly remembered little about them from her childhood.

“That… that is true,” Ed admitted.

“Listen, um… sir.” Erin smiled at him. “We only seek some information about Wilhelmina Havenbrook.”

The Netzi narrowed his eyes. “You’re from the guild, aren’t you? Come to silence me after all this time?”

Betty held up her hands quickly. “N-No, I swear! I really am your friend’s daughter…” The dark-skinned Thrope concentrated, trying to find something from her earliest memories to convince him. Suddenly, something she faintly remembered popped into her head. “My mother… She has a… Red Jewel she wore whenever she went to see me… Large, like a teardrop… And… M-My father’s gauntlet! Ze iron one, I remember it has a crest in ze leather palm, I zhink it was from his past! You must’ve have worked on it and seen zhat!”

The Netzi looked at her in surprise. “Y… yes. I… I don’t think anyone would have paid much attention… to…”

Erin gave Betty an nod. “Ed, please… why would Alfred Havenbrook want to silence you?”

He scoffed. “Because I know the truth. You wanted to know about Mina? Well, she died right at the border between Sarasam and the duchy. August 27th, I believe. I remember the news we got about her. That girl’s house burns down, she survives this long trek through the desert, and then gets attacked by bandits that don’t take a thing from her. It was not a coincidence, I tell you! Alfred did it. He started acting strange at that time. Started changing everything. He started to adopt all these business practices like... like he was told how bad he was running things. And I swear, he knew some of the contracts he was going to get ahead of time.” He slammed his fist on his table. “It was him! I know it! He somehow knew exactly where she’d be, and finished off the rest of his rival family members. But… but no one believed me. Or at least none who weren’t too spineless to say something. I was canned. My reputation soiled. And now… I am stuck here… waiting for death to finally take this old man.”

Betty nodded. “Ze 27th… April 27th… Zhat lines up. We believe you Ed, you’re not crazy. He killed her.”

Erin nodded. “Yes. He is the cause of all your troubles, and we will make him pay.” She grinned at Betty. “And now that we have a date and location, maybe we can do something more.”

The door to the workspace opened. Ed’s daughter flew in, offering the three some tea. “Father, your friends are here. Do you… want me to tell them to wait?”

Ed smiled up at Betty. “No… I think they should meet these two. Come…” He led them out the door. “Come to the living room, Betty.”

Last edited:

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Thirteen

The young Thrope tech’s heart skipped a beat as she stood, looking over at Erin for a moment before nodding at Ed. Erin held her arm, trying to both be supportive and to be sure she didn’t have a change of heart. This might have been her only chance. They moved back through the hall, and sitting in the living room where two people Betty feared she might never see again.

The first thing she noticed was her father, only just barely squeezing his almost ten foot body into the largest room of Ed’s home. He was wearing an simple brown leather tunic and pants, however, his iron gauntlet, almost as much of a trademark as his sword, was still on his arm. Even from the other side of the room however, they could see that the fur on that arm had been badly burnt all the way up to the shoulder and even some small portions of his neck had been badly scarred by something; Betty considered if he had been the one to shield Ed from the blast that would’ve decimated his body, and judging by the damage to her father, she could only imagine the scale of the attack.

Her mother on the other hand was in a casual black outfit with red designs stitched in, the attire looked as though it had been patched and repaired time after time from scuffle after scuffle, which clearly indicated that she did a great deal of fighting in her free time as well. Her large ears had silver earrings in them near the tip, two in the left ear, one in the right. Her iconic ears also had a few notable gouges out of the base of them, reminiscent of a shark fin, either from having been cut or from having her previous earrings ripped out. As she turned to look at the two, her bright red eyes almost glowed, as if there was an energy in them.

“Ed, who’re zhese two? Don’t tell me you got new friends while we were gone…” Vesp spoke first, leaning over the chair.

“Please, my dear, no one could ever replace you two.” Ed waved to the two women in turn. “This is Erin, and this is Betty. Betty… says she has an interesting connection to the two of you.”

“Really now? I’ve never met any bug girl before…” Vesp replied, looking over to Gus. “Have you?”

He chuckled lightly, “There was that spider woman from Neren’Teva… But I can’t say I recall anyone like this…”

Betty felt like her throat was blocked hearing them speak, but she quickly swallowed. “I-I… Um… My…”

Vesp quickly stood up, walking over. “I zhink you broke her Gus, she’s probably terrified of ze wild animal zhat found its way into ze house.”

“I don’t think I could reach her if I tried…” He said, looking at the size of the hall. “Why did you have to pick such a tiny place to live?”

The Fly Thrope looked over at her lover, her large eyes almost begging for any kind of help. Erin cleared her throat. “Well… we got what we came for. No risk in alienating them with the truth.” She stepped forward. “You see, this might be hard to believe, but Betty here is… well, she is your daughter… of sorts. And she was eager to meet you.”

Augustus visibly spit out his drink, reacting to the revelation much more than Vesp, who merely had an incredulous look on her face. “You’re our… Daughter?”

Betty took a deep breath. “I-I am… I’m really your daughter…”

The Bat leaned in and examined Betty’s face to try and puzzle out if she was lying, when that failed, she looked over to Gus who was still partially recovering. “Gus, do you remember me getting pregnant? Because I zhink I would remember pushing a baby out of me…”

“No…” He said simply. “Although I always wanted one… But it… It just didn’t work. Probably for the best anyway, considering what we do…”

“I’m your daughter and I can prove it!” She said confidently, “I-I… I remember your red broach Mom, it was important to you, you kept it close all close to you all ze time…”

Both their eyes noticeably widened, but after a few moments Vesp leaned in a inch away from her daughter’s face, looking her directly in her big eyes. “H-How do you know about zhat… Ed doesn’t even know about zhat… I haven’t worn zhat in… over two decades…”

”It’s true then?” Ed asked. “About this broach.” He folded his arms. “Can it be that she is actually your daughter somehow.”

“I know it is hard to believe, but why would she lie about it?” Erin insisted. “I realize it requires trusting someone you don’t know, but trust me. In another life… in another time… Betty was the daughter you two never had here.”

Vesp looked back and forth between the two before casting her eyes down. “My mother gave me zhat jewel… She gave it to me and my sister before she died from the plague… I only stopped wearing it when ze two of us split apart… All it did was remind me of my family… I but I still have it, probably gazhering dust somewhere…”

“You… I have an aunt? I-I never knew… What’s her name?” Betty asked, taking a small step forward.

“Reah… Reah Marie. I… I told her zhat we had enough money to survive from my days in ze circus and my stealing… I told her to just take care of herself. Little did I know she was… selling herself off to humans behind my back… Zhat’s when we split up. After I met Gus, I took my zhings and left for Havenbrook, last time I bothered to check, she worked in some up-class whorehouse.” The Bat explained somberly, obviously not used to opening up like this to anyone but her love.

Gus slowly moved over, placing his large hand on her shoulder. “Hon… I… I can’t believe you told them that.”

Betty quickly reached out, grabbing her Father’s hand and turning the gauntlet over. Sure enough, despite the leather being burned, the crest was still recognizable. “This crest! It’s from your past right?”

“My… Mercenary days… The Argus Mercenary Company. I… I spent the last of my money on a suit of armor to hide myself, then joined an all human company of mercenaries… Thanks to my affinity limited to simply excess hair, they were never the wiser… Until… I defended Vesp from them.”

She looked back up to them suddenly. “S-So… Time magic!? Let’s say we believe you now… How did you come to… I can’t believe I’m saying zhis… To zhis world?”

Erin took a deep breath. “It is a little complicated. I am not sure I understand all the implications myself. If I am understanding it all correctly, someone altered the past, and the god of Fate recruited us to fix it. To do so, however, he had to make us immune to the changes in time by pulling us out of the timestream. In… in our timeline, Betty does exist as your child. She could return to it, but she would no longer be able to help us. Plus… plus you two…” She lowered her head, unable to admit the truth.

Betty began to tear up. “You went missing… On one of your mission under Alfred Havenbrook… You went missing…”

Gus lowered his brow. “Missing huh? Can you remember anything about the mission?”

“You… Went to search for missing persons. A number of people sporadically were going missing in an… area somewhere…” Betty sighed, “Zhat’s all I know…”

After a few uncomfortable moments of silence, Vesp suddenly seemed like she came to a realization. “Zhat… Gus, do you remember zhat mission to Helvan? Before Ed’s injury? Didn’t it sound just like zhis?”

“Errggh… Vaguely… There was barely a briefing, you know how he was… But… Helvan, missing persons sounds familiar…” He answered.

Betty quickly reached forward and attempted to hug the two of them, “Zhis is already so much help! I can narrow it down from zhere, and knowing about my aunt and even your mercenary guild help too! Even only some of zhis is true in my world, it’s a huge step from nothing!”

“O-Okay… You can stop ze hugging… Gods did she get zhis from you?” The Bat looked up at Gus, who merely smiled and shrugged.

“This means when we get back, we can make sure you guys meet again, this time as true children and parents,” Erin said with a clap of excitement, a higher amount of jovialness then she usually displayed.

“What about me?” Ed asked. “If they weren’t there on that mission, did I make it out?”

Erin kept her head turned away, trying to hide the shaking in her voice. “Y-yeah… you survive. And… and you eventually become the head of the armory and smithy.”

He nodded. “And what about reuniting with my dau-”

“Ed, please.” Erin gave him an uneasy look. “We, um… we have limited time. And if we happen to fail, I don’t want to fill your head with what might have been, you know?” She looked over to Betty. “We… should get back. The others should be done with their tasks by now.”

“R-Right…” Betty smiled, still hugging them. “Meeting you again is… Everyzhing I’ve ever wanted…”

“Yeah… I never thought something like this would happen… But you seem like everything I wanted in a daughter… I’m sure I love you very much…” Gus said softly.

“Yeah. And if… If you’re even half as great as our daughter should be… You’ll find us, we’ll reunite, and you’ll do us proud…” Vesp replied, smirking slightly. “You go out zhere and change ze world, your world, for ze better…”

Betty held Erin’s hand as she walked to the door, looking back at them. As she did, Gus waved, but gave her a serious look. “Be careful… If whatever was taking those people stopped us, it’s not to be underestimated… Get strong, get knowledge, and get prepared…”

“And keep your girlfriend zhere safe… She seems nice, reminds me of me almost.” Vesp crossed her arms, looking at Erin.

Erin smiled back. “Good to see you approve. I can only hope the other version of you is the same. Please, take care of yourselves as well.”

“I know for a fact… Eyes like zhat can only mean true love…” Vesp sighed. “You’ll be great togezher.”

“Thank you… Mom… Dad…” Betty said, standing in the doorway. “I love you.”

“We love you too. “ The Bear smiled. “Now, you have a timeline to save, don’t you?”

“Zhat we do…” The Thrope said, stepping out with Erin, tears coming down her face from happiness.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Fourteen

Back at the Havenbrook Manor, people were still on edge. As time stood still while the group was in Destani’s personal time bubble, it was still only minutes after a group of individuals seemingly broke into the manor before disappearing without a trace. Charter and Lyr’s mission was the most simple, but likely the most dangerous. While Titania, Arlia, and Ferron searched for the missing page from the library of history, the two male warriors were to make a distraction.

They materialized just outside the outside training area, and Destani spoke in their minds. Alright, you two. The other’s job is to be sneaky. We need you two to be the exact opposite. I would… advise against excessive killing, but if our mission succeeds, none of this will have happened, so… go nuts, as the mortals say.

Great, so I know my fight since I already got myself into a bit of trouble already. So I got my well the Have Brook second in command, since i’m already about to fight him.

Try to lure him out here. The idea is to get as many people outside as possible to make the other’s jobs easier. Might I suggest finding the nearest Hunter and… I don’t know, punching him in the face?

Right, well this should be fun okay let’s get this over with. Charter turned to his partner someone he never seen before at the manner. “You can handle yourself right?”

“I should be asking you that question.” His junior sassed, taking off his Kemarian robes. Underneath he wore a sleeveless shirt and a pair of shorts that went down halfway to his shins. Pulling the scarf around his neck so it was snug, he glanced over, “I have a mother I need to avenge.”

It was only a matter of seconds until one of the Hunters notice them approaching considering one of them was an infrequently seen Ophidian. “Hey, you!” Three approached them. The one in the center, a large sword resting on his shoulder, asked, “What are you doing here? Who are you, and how did you get in here?”

“I think you should just save your breath.” Glowing white lines resembling tribal tattoos spread over his right arm. Lyr held open his palm, thrusting it forwards an inch. A blast of force carried the man across the yard and into the foundation of the manor with a hard slam, “Now that you’ve lost it.”

The other two gave their comrade a look of shock before drawing their weapons. “Son of a bitch!” One yelled, taking a swing at Lyr while the other targeted Charter.

Charter used his sword to parry the attack,and shoved his opponent of him and punched his nose. While grabbing his nose Charter then plunged his sword into the man's leg and his dagger into his shoulder, bringing him to his knee. Charter then pulled his dagger out of the man's shoulder and hit him with the back end of it putting him in the ground. “Come on I expect better from Have Brooke hunters, you're an embarrassment!” Charter then pulled his sword our and plunged it into the back of the mans neck. If that god didn't say once we have that page all this wouldn't matter wouldn't have done that to you buddy, well you won’t remember it anyway.

Lyr however was a bit more refined in his takedown. He leaned and swerved away from any attacks that were clumsily thrown his way. The Ophidian used a small amount of power in his leg to kick out the other hunter’s leg, taking the back of his head and slamming it into the ground to knock him out. “You know, just because he said you could kill doesn’t mean you had to. These aren’t monsters.”

“I know they're not, but we’re outnumbered, and it’s our job to get as much attention as possible. If everyone decides to attack at once, you want to try and knock them all out? I will not give them the chance to kill me, I have a few people waiting on me when we get that page back so i’m not taking any chances.”

“Destani said we were the best? If you’re afraid of being killed by just fighting a group you would never last in Kemar. You only fight groups there. Besides, taunting them by just not killing them is a better motivator than slaughter.” the Ophidian looked to the sky, “When we get her back, I am going to have to discuss a field trip…”

As the two discussed strategy, five more Hunters stepped over.

“They’re arguing. Are they together?”

“Maybe the human is on our side.”

“No, they were both fighting. The Ophidian took down two and the other guy killed Demond.”

“Let’s return the favor. But call Eraqus just in case.”

A sixth man ran off to the manor as the five circled Lyr and Charter. “It’s more than two to one odds. Think you boys can handle us?”

Rolling his eyes, the Ophidian took a ready stance. He appeared unarmed, “Make me have to use something other than my hands before you start gloating.” Lyr threatened in a rather annoyed tone.

The taunter scoffed, stabbing his sword into the ground and walking over, cracking his knuckles. “You’re going to regret that, snake.” As he threw a punch, he said, “You looking at a form heavyweight box-”

Lyr moved his head to the side, grabbing ahold of his arm. Throwing the larger man over his shoulder, he slammed his foot down on the guy’s head. With a sigh, he looked up, “Actually Charter, you’re right about one thing. How the hell are these guys hunters?”

“You think you’ll get away with that!” One yelled, charging Lyr. Unfortunately for him, he had no back up, the other three deciding Charter was the easier target and all attacking him at once.

Alright, I like a challenge.” Charter put his sword in it’s sheaths and looked at the three man.Charging him, Charged the three and slid under one of them, them being surprised that someone as tall as Charter was able to go underneath them. Charter then stood up and grabbed a rock, and threw it at one of his opponents, the other two charged Charter weapons in hand. Charter looked at the two and laughed,at the two. “Does honor mean not to you people?” As the two approached Charter they started to swing their swords at him. Charter then used his shield to block one of the attacks and side step the other. He then pulled out one of his throwing knives and plunged it into one of the attacker's side, Charter then tripped the man and slammed his knee into the back of his head knocking him out. The other two looked on and decided to attack at once, the charged Charter again only this time as on attack Chater directly his shield taking all of the force. The other plunged his sword through Charter’s shoulder. “AH.” Charter shoved one of the men off his shield and looked at them both. “To hell with showmanship.” Charter pulled his sword out and with his shield in his other hand, Charter used his shield as a battering ram and sent on of his attackers on their back he then quickly swung his sword at the other man's leg cutting it off, he looked at the other and bashed his shield into him to where he was knocked out. Charter then looked at his Lyr. “Are you done yet, I just took out three people and you're still toying with him. Get it over with!”

“I was watching you to make sure you didn’t get killed,” Lyr responded back passively, the man not landing anything on the slippery golden haired teen. Finally, the Ophidian decided to backhand the guy and sent him flying. “When you disappear from reality I will make sure to console your little elf girlfriend.” Lyr taunted.

Before they could start fighting among themselves once more, the doors to the Manor opened, and ten more hunters rushed out. It seemed, for better or worse, their distraction was working.

Elsewhere

“Commander!” The Hunter who had fled the scene finally found Eraqus on the way to Alfred’s office. “There are these two guys in the training area outside! A big guy in fancy armor, and an Ophidian!”

The Elf’s eyes darted about. “The pair that disappeared on me. What… what is their ploy? Are they simply trying to bring about our ruin.” He shook his head, and headed back the way he came. “No matter. Their motives won’t mean much without their heads.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Fifteen

Back in the Training Area

After twenty minutes of fighting, things weren’t going as easy as before. The C rank Hunters had quickly gave way to B ranks, then A ranks. It soon became apparent that simply toying with the opponents wouldn’t be enough as a gigantic hammer slammed the ground inches away from where Lyr had just been standing.

Skidding away a few feet, the Ophidian slowly came to a stand. Holding out a hand, he encouraged the man to come back at him again. The Hunter snarled, lifting his hammer for an overhead slam.

Lyr’s eye glowed for a moment as a flash of light enveloped his right arm until it coalesced into a long shaft, the pointed end of it finding it stabbed into the man’s neck before it slid out and the Ophidian spun around his fallen body to parry away the attack of a second attacker. Planting the end into the ground, he lifted himself up and kicked a third in the chest so he fell down. Spear twirling around his body, the neck of the second was sliced when he went in for another attack and it finally ended with the spear impaling the man on the ground. All in one seamless and flowing motion.

The other Hunters backed away. The pair was extremely outnumbered and yet they were able to inspire fear in the greater numbers. “Enough!” Eraqus shouted as he walked over, the others parting to the side as he approached. “What do you two want? What is the point of this senseless violence?”

“What do we want, I can’t speak for lizard boy. But i’m here for the light Elf librarian, she worth more your head libran then the other guy.” Charter panted in exhaustion. “But in all seriousness, what we want is none of your concern Elf.”

“You made it my concern when you started attacking my men.” Eraqus motioned for the others to back away. “You’re not leaving here alive.” He pointed his sword at the two and grinned. “But go ahead. Beg for your lives. You’ll be doing it by the end of this anyway.”

“In our defence, it was your hunters that attack us first. And before that in the library you pointed your sword at me ready to attack.” Charter slowly stood up. “Ugh you ready lizard boy, or are you two tired? I never did catch your name?”

“Shut up and pay attention,” the Ophidian chastised Charter in an unusual seriousness. “Stay alive long enough and you will know.”

Eraqus glared at the pair in agitation. “Are you done? Because I don’t like to be ignored!” He formed a massive fireball, one as large as the Ophidian he launched it at as he rushed Charter, swiping horizontally.

Charter propped his shield and took the full force of the attack, the attack actually dragging Charter with the swing. He then then went under the sword and looked at the man. “I don’t get any rest huh, after all we did just put your guild out of business. Can you show some honor and give us some positions to heal us up a bit, or are you scared that two people will over power the only S hunter here?”

“Ha!” Eraqus chuckled. “There is no S rank. Alfred would never give something like that to me, despite all I do for him. And honor means nothing to me! Only the kill!” He kicked Charter away, quickly turning to make sure Lyr had been incinerated.

The spot where he had been was nothing but a scorch mark on the ground but the foot that slammed into him sent him flying away from Charter. “You aren’t him. You’re nothing like him.”

Eraqus grunted as he rose to his feet. “Nothing like who, snake?”

“You alright Charter?” Lyr said in an intentional moment to ignore Eraqus.

Charter swirled his neck around and looked at Lyr. “Boy go get Havenbrook and properly kill him.” Charter said keeping his eyes on Eraqus.

The Elf laughed. “You think you’re going anywhere as long as I’m still alive? Forget it!” Fire flowed over his blade, and he rushed the pair again. Halfway to them, however, he did something the original Eraqus had never done, slamming his blade into the ground, from which emerged a manifestation of his magic in the form of a fiery serpent, its mouth wide as it moved to consume the pair.

Lyr’s legs formed runes and he dashed out of the way, leaving Charter to deal with his own problems as he went after Eraqus. He might have some new tricks but the real one would be the only one to defeat Lyr in any capacity. Eraqus was quick to raise his weapon, swiping at Lyr’s neck with surprising speed. Anyone else would have lost their cranium, but Lyr’s enhanced speed saved him with a dodge. The Elf cried out in frustration, clearly not having anywhere close to the patience of the original. Magic circled around his blade, and he swiped it over and over again, bullet like balls of fire shooting at the Ophidian and various speeds and angles.

The young man kept on the move, not being able to get close enough to do anything as he had no ranged magic attacks. The attacks were sloppy though, and to him this would be no problem. More than once he thought about Mina and just how angry he was he wasn’t able to protect his mother and her child. For the sake of the others, they better not fail in bringing her back.

Meanwhile, the fire snake had locked its magical eyes on Charter. He dodged and rolled to avoid it, but still it persisted, trying to burn him to a crisp.

Charter was in trouble, since the manor was disappearing. He couldn't grab any of his potions or enchantments, the blew one Erin gave his to enchant his sword with water magic would have come in handy right about now. Charter tried to think of something to get rid of this magical serpent, Charter put his shield back on his back knowing it wouldn't help much and grabbed one of the fall hunter's sword along with his own. “Fya'munt, if there was ever a time for you to help one of your disciples, now would be the time.” Charter then Charged the fire snake and used his dual swords at it trying to find some way to confront it.

It swiped and slithered through the air, trying to take a fatal bite out of the soldier. As Charter attempted to attack, he found the enchantment worked. Deftly dodging to the side, a downward slash severed its ‘head’, and the whole body fell apart. With the immediate danger gone, he turned to the others, Eraqus able to keep Lyr at bay with his fire ball attack. His free hand was raised in the air, preparing a fireball that even the speedy Ophidian, or anyone near him, would escape.

Charter threw one of his throwing knives at Eraqus hand hitting him, Charter then charged Eraqus now coming to the realization this was not the friend he knew. Charter acted like a man possessed and kept attacking Eraqus with his dual swords, every attack got quicker and stronger than the last one as if something took over Charter and he was filled with bloodlust. As Eraqus massive sword blocked all of Charters attacks, Charter then dropped the swords and tackled Eraqus to the ground and punched him continuously. Soon he was punching an unconscious man. A hand rested on his shoulder. “It’s over,” Lyr said.

Charter then shoved the man, and Lyr realised both his eyes were red instead of one.Character then calmed down, and his right eye went back to being blue and saw his knuckles were bloody. “This is why I don’t call upon the warlord god, he actually responds.” Charter then looked at Lyr and looked at the other hunters that were looking on as Charter was covered in blood, he yelled at the crowd and they ran back to the manner. “Hay god of fate, was good enough for you?”

There was no answer at first. Yelling came from the Manor, Lyr holding up his weapon. “What now?” A familiar surge of white nothingness flowed out of it, quickly consuming everything. Lyr and Charter found themselves still standing in the training area, but all the dead or unconscious bodies were gone. Instead, there was a group of fresh Hunters, Eraqus in the center of them, pointing his weapon forward.

“What do you two want? What is the point of this senseless violence?” Eraqus asked.

“Shit.” Lyr took a step back. “Someone screwed up. Must have reset time again. You have it in you to fight all of these guys all over again.” The way the Ophidian’s arms sagged, it seemed the answer was no for him.

Charter’s eyes started to twitch in frustration, he looked down at his shield and grabbed it. “Guess we do this again, let’s get this over with again. And make it hurt a lot more this time!”

They got it! I’m getting you out, hold on!

Eraqus formed a giant ball of fire, and launched it at the pair. It went off with a grand explosion. However, as the smoke cleared, there was nothing where they had been standing. The pair had disappeared once more, leaving the Hunters in utmost confusion.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Sixteen

There was quite a ruckus throughout the Havenbrook Manor. As no time had change while in Destani’s personal time bubble, they were still on alert after several strange individuals had shown up, many of them disappearing into thin air. It would have been best to wait until nightfall, but Destani’s stamina and magic was limited. He couldn’t hold off the effects of time on them forever.

And so, several hunters ran through the hall, heading to the training room where Charter and Lyr were offering a distraction. Meanwhile, the speedy Thrope Titania, the stealthy Arlia, and the out-of-his-element Ferron, made their ways through the halls.

Can you guys hear me?
Destani’s voice rang out in their minds.

I can at the very least hear you, Dee. Don’t know about the others.
Titania thought, unsheathing her two daggers, just in case.

“Crystal clear…” Arlia responded. She was already against one of the walls, peering around a corner to make sure everyone had left to see what was going on.

Excellent,
Destani stated without waiting to get an affirmation from the third party member. Keep heading the way you are going. I feel it… the power from the page. You’re getting closer.

As they continued along, Ferron said, “So, um… what do you think will happen to us if this doesn’t work.” He frowned. “I was lucky that Lady Havenbrook was willing to take me into the guild. I doubt her uncle would. As it stands, I have no idea where I would fit in with this timeline.”

“Considering you're not in this timeline…” Arlia remarked. “It’s likely that, if Destani runs out of magic, we’ll all cease to exist.”

“Arlia… try to be a bit more optimistic. I mean, we’re working together, and if you keep up that grim mentality, it probably won’t help.” Titania lectured, cracking her neck and fingers. “If no one has any major objections… let’s go find that paper.”

Ferron smiled, admiring her optimism in the grim situation. “Hey… aren’t we near Lady Havenbrook’s office. I mean… what was her office?” He clapped his hands together. “What if, instead of just being kept here, Alfred is somehow behind this! I mean… I don’t know how he would be if he was formally dead. Not like the dead usually get out of Hell where I’m sure he was. But if he was… wouldn’t he keep the page in his office or room?”

“I remember Zulik mentioning something about a god maybe having involvement in the recent mayhem…” Arlia took a moment to think. “If that god is behind this as well, they may have brought him back. Which would mean that he would likely have the documents we need. The only way to know for sure is to go there and find out.”

They paused outside of the office, Ferron reaching for the doorknob. He hesitated, and looked back. “I-In case something goes wrong… m-maybe I should go in first while you two stand back. I… I’m not nearly as important to this mission as you two.”

Titania gently pushed Ferron out of the way. “No. You are just as important, and I’d rather not lose you in case something happens. I’m the warrior, I go first.” The Wolf Thrope gently replied, switching out one of her daggers for her short sword.

Arlia thought for a moment, positioning herself between Titania and the door. “If my memory is correct, you have better hearing than me, right Titania? If this door is trapped, you’ll be able to hear the gears before any of us… and since traps don’t trigger until the door has been opened, if you hear it, I can find a bypass.”

Offering a bright smile, Titania nodded, “Brilliant as always, Arlia. Seeing as how my idea was just to rush in, we’ll do it your way.” She pressed her ear against the door and started testing it. Pushing on it. Knocking on it. She reached down and lightly turned the doorknob. Halfway to opening it, she heard something strange. And unusual clicking noise, in the wall next to the door’s lock. “Arlia… there’s something clicking right over… there. Please make sure I don’t become a bloodstain on the wall…” Slowly lifting her arm, she pointed to the spot she heard the clicking coming from, making sure to not move lest she trigger the trap.

Arlia immediately started searching the wall for any sign of an opening, such as oddities in the paint structure or loose boards in the wall. She found a spot on the wall that sounded hollow on the other side. It was a tiny cavity, something small on the other side. Arlia carefully removed the portion of the wall that was hollow, making sure to not trigger any countermeasures in the process. Underneath, there was a small, yellow magic orb. It glowed a crackled ever so slightly, charged with electricity. A tiny mechanism extended from it to the side, likely attaching it to the doorknob to give a fatal jolt to the one that opened it.

“There we go…” Arlia muttered as she pulled out a kunai, checking for any alarms or fake trap systems that would go off if she were to mess around with the mechanism in anyway. There were none, whoever had set it up likely feeling it would have been enough. Sad fools. Arlia thought as she had free reign over the trap. They didn’t even give me a challenge.

Once she was able to remove the orb safely, Ferron shuttered as he looked at it in her hand. “I, um… I almost screwed up, huh?”

“Either way… If someone is on the other side, maybe you could do us the honor of giving them a surprise.” Arlia stated with glee, offering him the orb.

The Elf smiled, at took out an arrow. He tied the orb to it, and gave Titania a nod to open the door. As soon as she did, he fired into the center of the room. From within, a man cried out in pain as electricity filled the room. Once the electricity was clear and they glanced in, they saw a man slumped against the desk, breathing heavily.

Titania stormed into the room, her sword soon at the man’s throat as she looked at Arlia. “You’re the assassin. Torture or just simply dispose of him?”

“Maybe we won’t have to do either.” Arlia murmured as she reached into her pouch, seeing if any of her concoction were still there.

“Hold… on…” The man slowly raised a trembling arm. “What… d-do you people… even want?”

“The documents stolen from the library of history.” Arlia replied bluntly. “We want to know where they’re being kept.”

“The… the documents…” He slowly nodded. “I… I-I think I know what you mean. One day… this strange page showed up here. It told me the future. It… told me how much I was screwing up the guild. So I changed my ways. Started taking in Hunters of all races. Improved my business practices. Tried to make a business that would make my father proud.” He slowly stood up. “I… I don’t need it anymore. Please, if I give it to you, will you promise to spare me?”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Seventeen

Titania stared at him with undeterminable look. Finally, she spoke, her voice devoid of all emotion. “There was a girl that I knew, and she was related to you by blood. What was her fate?”

“You… you mean… my niece…” He lowered his head. “It was terrible. About twelve years ago, I was in a terrible position. The company was falling under. I thought I was going to lose everything.” He balled his fists. “I… I was afraid I would have to give the company to my brother, as detailed in my father’s will. I… I-I considered killing him. I actually thought about murdering my… my family.” Slowly shaking his head, he continued, “And then it happened. Their summer home went up in flames. Some kind of magical explosion that wiped it off the face of the planet. I… I’ve been carrying such guilt since then. Like… somehow, my thoughts of doing it made it so. I’ve tried everything I could since then to… to make them proud. Especially my dear niece, Mina…”

“Funny you say that.” Arlia pointed her katana at the man. “Because from what Mina told us, you were the one who had the place burned to cinders.”

“W-wait, Arlia!” Ferron stepped next to her. “Remember, a lot has changed. Not only from whoever messed with time, but from us being removed. What if… if he’s telling the truth? What if, in this timeline, he didn’t do it? Maybe he was planning to, and someone beat him to it. But even still, he didn’t actually do it!”

“I-I can prove it!” Alfred insisted. “The page, the time… document thing. It is a record of history from that time. It will say that someone else did it, not me!”

“Then show it to me before I cut your head off.” Arlia demanded.

Titania gently pushed Arlia’s katana hand away. “You want Mina to stay dead? ‘Cause that’s what’ll happen if you attack him, and I want my friend back. Do you?”

“Right, sorry.” Arlia said. “Listen, I know this may sound crazy, but we’re here to correct parts of time that have been tampered with. If you give us the paper, we’ll be able to fix what happened… and Mina will have survived the fire.”

“Y-yeah?” Alfred chuckled. “Well, that would be great! A, um… a little unbelievable to be honest, but I guess it is a special piece of paper.” He started walking towards his room, but paused and raised his hands. “Do, um… do you want me to go first, or do you want to. I don’t want to do something you find suspicious and loose my head.”

“You go first, and if you call for help, or try to run, or gods forbid, lead us to what we’re not seeking, your death will not be quick, and I will let my bestial side have fun with you. Understand?” Titania asked, her voice full of unusual warmth, as one of her eyes turned feral.

The man gave her a nervous nod, and walked over to his door, slowly opening it and leading the others inside. He walked over to a grand painting featuring his family, including a very young looking Mina. “Help me out with this, yeah?” he said to Ferron.

The Elf nodded, walking over and taking one side of the painting. Together, the pair carefully lifted it and moved the painting to the side. Behind it was a small wall safe, which Alfred wasted no time in opening. “This page really is amazing. You have no idea what you can do, what you can prepare for, when you know what will happen ahead of time. I really hope you can put it to good use.” He pulled out a crinkled, very old looking page, the entire thing filled with text from top to bottom. He slowly approached Titania. “H-here you go. Please… no slow deaths for me, okay?”

“That depends on if I think I can verify this as the real thing…” Titania replied cheerfully, smiling a very menacing smile. Dee? We got a page, and I need you to verify it before I rip apart a man. My bestial side is starting to gain control…

Harsh. Though I like the nickname… Dee… anyway, give me a moment. The page is very close to you, so it probably is.

“Is there anything else I can get you?” Alfred asked Arlia. “I’d love to help the people who will save my niece. Oh, you look like you use Stormrend fighting styles and weapons.” He reached back into the safe. “I have a few bombs and such. Perhaps you could make use of them.”

He wouldn’t be so helpful if he knew what Lady Havenbrook did to him.
Arlia thought as she sighed. “No thank you, I prefer subtlety over explosives and gunpowder.” She turned towards Titania. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to check something.”

“Are you sure?” Alfred asked, slowly smiling. “I made this one special. Watch.” He dropped it, and the room filled with a viscous smoke, so thick it obscured everything.

Titania, it’s not the page! It’s some kind of fake!

Titania’s face began to morph as her anger and rage took over. Glancing at Arlia, she growled out, “I’m taking a few bites out of him…” Dee… I need some godly advice… I’m extremely angry and partially hungry as my bestial side is coming out. Can I hurt him so he can’t move his arms anymore…?

Um… I’ve never been through something like this before, but… I think so. I mean, it will be bad if things remain the same, but assuming we fix time, anything you do to him won’t matter here. So… have fun?

“It really is an amazing sheet of paper,” Alfred said, his voice seeming to come from everywhere. “It told me everything that was going to happen. It even told me someone was going to come this day, but skipped out on the details. There must be something unusual about you. Still, twelve years after murdering my niece before she could do the same to me is so much time to learn how to make traps, how to act scared, the exact layout of my room so I can move around without being able to see, and carrying concealed weapons. Even how to make an exact copy of that page.” He laughed. “You want to know the funny thing about the page? I knew the safe was the first place someone would look. So guess where it is actually hidden in this room. Go on, guess.”

“Alfred… do you want to know what I did to the last person who betrayed me to this extent, especially when I showed them mercy? I, as a wolf, rip them to shreds with my teeth and claws before my animalistic nature came in. I know all that you did, and all that you would have done. I gave you one chance, and honestly, I would’ve spared you… but, you should know… the more I transform, the easier it is to smell where you are. I’ll give you five seconds to beg for my forgiveness.” Titania growled, finishing her tirade, as she got on all fours and quietly searched the room.

While Titania was relying on her smell to track the man, Arlia tried to focus her chi in such a way that it would allow her to see energy points through the smoke, and in turn, find the man and show him what happens when you cross an assassin.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Eighteen

He was giving off some kind of electrical charge, making it hard to track him. After a while, though, she was able to pick up on him just as Titania pick up his scent… directly behind her. “Guess it is a good thing I’m not going to give you the chance,” he muttered as he fired his very large Judge revolver directly at her.

She felt nothing, however. No feeling of a large bullet tearing through her. Quickly turning to go on the defensive, she found Ferron standing between them. After a moment, he slumped to the ground.

Arlia threw a kunai at the man’s pistol hand to disarm him… and then watched as Titania did her worst.

Launching at the man, she dropped her weapons as her claws began peeling away his layers of clothing until eventually finding skin, which was peeled just the same. With a snarl of a cocktail of rage, anguish, and malice, Titania bit Alfred’s neck, and began to shake him as her animal would, her emotions rendering her a beast instead of Thrope. While she did her bloody work, she pulled out her other dagger and began stabbing him, some part of Titania sharing her rage along with her beastly side.

Preferring to not watch her friend tear a man to shreds, Arlia focused her chi once more to find the paper, so that Ferron would not have died in vain. She picked up a faint signal, one that made her just a little more angry. It was coming from between the mattresses of Alfred’s bed.

Arlia sighed as she lifted the mattress. “I should’ve known…”

Titania finished a few moments later, leaving the ruin of the man, whose bones were prominently displayed. She sniffed, her now reddened fur moving as she attempted to locate Ferron. After a few moments she found him, still laying where he had been shot. Titania moved her more wolfish muzzle to gently push against his hand.

He weakly opened his eyes, the blood, and life, quickly draining from him. “H-hey… Titania…” He smiled weakly. “You look… really pretty… as a wolf. Sorry I… couldn’t… be of more… help.”

Titania nuzzled him, and let out a howl, one that would alert Arlia to come find her as it sounded very close to ‘help’. Tears soon dropped down onto Ferron, Titania’s feral form still maintaining a shred of her humanity. “Don’t… go…”

He held up his hand. The ring he wore glistened softly under its bloodstains. “D-don’t think I… have a choice. But… thank you for… being… so kind…”

Titania leaned in, her face reverting back to a more humanlike one as she leaned in and kissed Ferron. “Please… hold on a little longer. I-I can save you I promise…” DEE! PLEASE, TAKE HIM BACK! HE’LL DIE!! PLEASE… Titania begged the God of Fate, as she pulled Ferron closer to her.

I can’t! I can’t do anything for him! All my magic is going into keeping us here. The only way to save him would be to take off his ring, and we can’t do that. It would alter the timestream again.

Titania eyed the ring, and grabbed it. I’m sorry, Dee… but you probably shouldn’t have told me that. With one swift motion she removed the ring, not willing to lose the sweet Elf who protected her.

Ferron looked at her in surprise, and let out a soft laugh. “I think I’m… in love…” A white void opened up within him, quickly spreading out and consuming everything.

Moments later, Arlia and Titania found themselves standing in the middle of Alfred’s bedroom. Ferron was gone, as was both Alfred's body, and the bloody mess that had resulted from his death. Arlia looked at her own hand to make sure that she still had possession of the paper. The page had vanished, but she still felt it nearby. Arlia quickly scavenged the place, basically tearing it apart in order to find the paper that they needed, while uttering curses under her breath.

She eventually found it, this time rolled up and placed in an expensive looking vase. Glancing over it, she noted some of the words glowing in the center. To her surprise, the page was rewriting itself as they watched. It seems, a year ago, a young Elf named Ferron had come to apply for a position as a Hunter. It was a bit of a fiasco, as he accidentally spilled piping hot coffee on Alfred Havenbrook’s best pants, and was promptly kicked out. Nothing much changed after that, but everything was delayed by twenty minutes. Thanks to Ferron reentering the timeline, Alfred hadn’t been as prepared this time.

Arlia placed the paper in her pouch. “Alright, we have the paper, let’s get out of here before you somehow nearly fuck us over again.”

“I'll remember that if you want me to save your life in this strange timeline, so that when you're in Ferron’s shoes, I'll let you die. How does that sound?” Titania asked rhetorically, glaring at her best friend for her harshness.

“I’m sorry, but you jeopardized the mission by doing that.” Arlia countered. “What if we were here while Alfred was? What if Destani ran out of magic before we got back, all because you had to save one life? The mission always comes before saving those who you can’t always save.”

Titania walked over and promptly closed her hand before punching Arlia’s shoulder hard. “Right now, we're not going to like each other and right now, I don't fucking care. I did what I thought was the right choice, and if you and Destani can't deal with that, too fucking bad. I would have done the same for you… but it seems you wouldn't do that for me. So… let's finish this mission, but afterwards? Leave me the hell alone.” Titania turned away, walking towards the door to conceal the hurt and pained look she had.

The door suddenly swung open, Alfred on the other side. “What is all…” His eyes widened. “Who the Hell are you?!”

Titania’s eyes flashed fully feral as she recognized the man. Grinning wolfishly, she leaped at the man, pinning him to the floor. Arlia pushed Titania aside, having not the best of thoughts of her friend. Arlia stabbed her katana into Alfred’s neck and lift the man’s weight with nothing but the tip of the blade. She then glared at him as he slowly slid closer to her, the silver blade turning a crimson red.

Titania, her rage still plentiful, ripped the dying man’s body off the katana, before promptly tossing him across the room. Turning her angry glare towards Arlia, she shoved past her best friend. Mentally calling Destani for their divine pickup.

With a mental sigh, Destani spoke in their mind. I truly hope you two can come to terms with both your disagreements and anger issues. Remember… the sake of the world and time counts on you. But… good job finding the page.

With that, the two woman vanished, leaving Alfred’s body to be discovered by some bewildered Hunters.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Nineteen

Arlia and Titania were the first to return to the empty space Destani had made for their safety. A displeased looking assassin stepped off to the side as Destani walked up to the Wolf, looking none too pleased himself. “Do you… know what is at stake here?”

“The world, no, the multiple planes more likely. But... you picked me, didn’t you? Shouldn’t you have foreseen what I would have done, or influenced it somehow?” Titania asked, her voice softer than normal as hard eyes looked away, too mentally tired to look at the angered God.

“I… yes, actually, I did know that you were capable of this. And I should have put the weakest member of the team somewhere else. Or left him here. He didn’t do much, did he?” Destani scoffed. “But I had hoped that your sense of right and the stake of everything you know would have prevented your actions.”

Titania looked back at him, her eyes taking a softer look to them than they were mere moments ago. “Gods live eternally, only killed by other Gods and yet… with all that time, you, the man behind fate itself, cannot understand or refuse to understand how much I value life. Maybe not when the Beast comes out, but when it counts.”

“I already know that my lifetime of killing will land me into some torturous pit in the afterlife, and I’m fine with that fact… but Ferron was a boy. A baby, really. I knew the risks of pulling that ring off him, and I am sorry for putting the world at stake… but as much as you and I know, my empathy is something I give freely. You helped mold me, helped me develop into the person I am, and… now that you require my help, you scold me for the one thing I excel at. This is not at all fair, not when I got to watch him almost die like that. Like Jay almost did.” Titania replied, a pained look on her face as she kept her voice steady, her body stable, but her eyes slowly released the water they held at bay.

“You… the whole world…” Destani’s eyes sunk a bit, and he took a deep breath. “He… if you hadn’t removed his ring… he would have been lost, as I warned you. Never having been born…”

“Can you imagine a worse fate? Like you said, you grabbed him by accident. He wasn’t supposed to be here, and yet… had you sent him to a different team, you’d have lost two people, not one.” Titania replied, rubbing the spot where she would’ve been shot. “ I understand only a little of the weight you bear, trying to save the world from destruction… and you have every right to be mad at me. I did put the whole world at risk, and I did it for one life instead in lieu of millions. However… please… stop stressing out. If you need to vent your frustrations, I’ll listen. But you do need a way to relax. So… do you want to have a friend listen to your woes and worries?”

Destani chuckled, and slowly lowered himself down, sitting on the ‘ground’. “My woes? My woes are… my own. Nothing you have to worry about.” He shook his head and waved his hand. “I’m… not mad at you. Everything worked out, right? So… so don’t worry about it…”

Titania proceeded to do the same, still staring at him. “...You already know how long I’m going to keep pestering you so you’ll tell me your burdens, right? I mean, you are the God of Fate, Dee… I don’t suppose that you’ll make this too easy, huh?”

He shook his head. “Look… do you have any idea what it is like to have to not only do your job perfectly… but for your supervisor to be your father?”

“I can’t say I have, but I would have had I not left my homeland. My father wanted a pretty daughter to marry into the other noble bloodlines, not a tomboy-ish warrior to roam the lands kicking ass and taking names. I know you better than most here because I know what familial duty is like, and I know that, one day, I’ll go back and marry into some nobleman’s house, who I don’t love, and have his child. I know you Destani, God of Fate, and I do know how stressed you are. We are… one of a kind, you and I.” Titania reached over, not waiting for permission to hug the God, knowing that somewhat surprise hugs were best.

He chuckled, lightly patting her on the back. “Thanks. But you know… the two of us can’t be one of a kind,” he joked.

“Oh… my gods, you didn’t just make that punny joke. I see at some point after this whole thing ends, we’re going to need to hang out so I can teach you some better jokes.” Titania joked back, pulling back slightly with a warm smile on her face.

He smiled back. “I’d like that.” He slowly stood up, adding, “That is if my father doesn’t ground me for so long, it extends past your lifespan. Try as I might, he will find out about this, and…” He looked back and forth. In a low voice, he said, “Between you and me, you’re not the only one doing something they shouldn’t be. He’ll say I should have just accepted what happen, not screw with time even more to try and fix it. He… will be a bit peeved, to say the least.”

“Fathers get over it eventually, and if not, I’ll try to speak with him. Probably not successfully, but I will vouch for you. This isn’t your fault and he needs to know the sacrifices you went through in order to save history as we know it. Besides,” Titania replied, winking at the God, “Every cute God needs some heroine that helps them out of a tough spot… and I wonder if I might try my hand at that.”

“I might have to take you up on that.” He looked back towards Arlia. “Come on. I’m bringing the others back in a moment. Everyone succeeded in their job.” He grinned at her. “So good job.”

“No, thank you for allowing me to help you. This is… surprisingly refreshing, working with and for a God. A very attractive one at that.” Titania flirted back as she stood up, offering her hand to help Destani up.

“Not so bad yourself,” he returned, taking her hand.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Twenty

Betty and Erin were the last group to return to Destani’s temporal sanctuary. Walking over to the others, they found the god using his powers to heal Charter’s wounds, having already treated Lyr. “We got the information,” Erin said. “I take it you succeeded in…” She looked around. “Oh no… where is Ferron?”

Betty’s head darted around for a moment before covering her mouth with her hand. “Is he...?”

“Don’t worry about him.” Destani patted Charter on the back to tell him he was done and stepped away. “Yes, he was hurt… fatally, actually, but he’s okay. He returned to the timestream, saving his life.”

“I… I see.” Erin nodded. “That would explain what looked like another time void, um, thing while we were leaving.”

Destani rubbed his hands together and cleared his throat, the god looking much more tired than he was less than an hour previous. “Well now… missions were indeed successful. Arlia, you have the page?”

Arlia handed the paper to the God of Fate, not saying anything or showing any kind of emotion.

“Alright. Now, one might look at the page as a mortal and wonder why it would be so hard to skim through. Put simply, it has more information then the mortal eye can perceive.” The fate god held the page out, the paper staying suspended in midair. He let some magic flow into it, and the page burst, leaving behind a huge wall of translucent, green writing, so much that it looked like it could fit a dictionary. “After all, a lot of things happen, even in one part of one country in one limited period of time, especially when you are recording everything. This could take me anywhere from hours to days to look through.”

“B-But… you wouldn’t have asked us to find zhis if you didn’t have a way to look through it in time, right?” The Fly asked.

“Naturally, my dear.” The god cracked his knuckles. “Now, this is where Erin and Betty’s job come in handy. We know that the time altering change revolves around Wilhelmina Havenbrook…” Destani waved his hand, and the wall of text shrunk significantly. “...and her death by bandits…” Another wave, and it shrank some more. “...somewhere on the border on August 27th, 3336.” It shrank once more. For several minutes, Destani was silent and his eyes rapidly scanned walls of text. Finally, he smiled. “Bingo. Mina will be attacked…” The text turned back into a sheet of paper for a few moments, until Destani held his hand against it. It stretched into a door-shaped portal, grass plains giving way into desert sands beyond. “...right around here, approximately one minute after you step through. She will defend herself with all her vigor, but will be overwhelmed, and stabbed through the heart.”

“Alright, so we just need to deal with these bandits so that Lady Havenbrook survives and we can get our guild back.” Arlia replied. “Should be easy enough.”

“I feel like zhis is going to get even more strange… Won’t she remember us saving her life?” The Engineer asked, stepping forward.

“Ehhhh…” Destani rubbed the back of his neck. “Things aren’t going to be perfect. And there are ways I can fix and adjust small things. Small shifts here, altered memories there. I’ll have to do a lot of cleaning up. But the main thing here is to fix the big crack, even if it means leaving smaller ones along the way.”

Erin smiled. “And if she does remember us, maybe it’ll end up getting us a raise, right?”

As everyone headed for the portal, Destani held up a hand. “Now, just as a warning, as mortals with… limited to no immunity to cosmic forces, it is very unwise for you to go to a point in time where you have already been. Meeting yourself can be… bad for the universe. With that in mind, if you mess this up, I can’t send you back again. You have one shot at this, so make it count… um, no pressure.”

“One shot is all I need…” Arlia answered with three kunai already in her hand as she made her way to the portal.

“Let’s get this over with. The sooner we do this, the sooner everything can go back to normal. And we can give whoever is the cause what they deserve.” Charter held his sword tightly and his shield, and step through the portal, ready to do whatever he had to do to fix this mess.

Each moved through it, the difference being night and day, the only thing to indicate that they had move backwards in time being a feeling of disorientation, short lived nausea, and Erin losing her sight for ten seconds, thing Destani, in his haste, had failed to warn them about. Not far ahead of them, they saw a sight many of them, especially young Lyr, had longed for. Mina Havenbrook, age fifteen, was making her way out of the desert. Her clothes were covered in dirt, grime, and, of course, sand. She was covered in sweat. She looked dead tired. But a smile crossed her face as she saw grass and a distant treeline, a godsend after nearly two months trying to cross the Duchy of Kemar.

Said smile quickly washed away, however. From behind the bushes and rocks just over the border, several men stepped into view, brandishing weapons. Mina froze, her heart sinking as she recognized at least one of the, a man with a large scar across his face, as one of the men that had been with her uncle the day her home was burned down.

Looking at all of the others, Betty quickly exclaimed. “We’ve only got one chance, we have to get over zhere!”

Lyr dashed forwards before anyone else moved, runes covering his legs that propelled him across the familiar mix of dead grass and loose sand. “Get away from her!” The Ophidian yelled, spear forming in his right hand to attack the men alone.

Titania quickly followed suit, her longsword and her usual short sword out. She rushed forward moving slightly to the side, to stay out of Lyr’s spear, as she grew fur, turning once more into her partial wolf form.

Naturally, the mercs were quick to notice the approaching snake man and wolf woman. “What the hell do you want?!” the man with the scar yelled. “This is our job! And we’re not sharing the bounty with you!”

“That’s too bad!” A crossbow bolt found its way through the back of the man's neck and through his throat. “We are here to escourt that woman, and if you value your lives...” Charter stopped and looked at the mercs, and yelled to his teammates. “Kill them all. Leave none standing. We must protect Miss Havenbrook at all cost!” Charter fired another bolt into one of the merc shoulders, knocking him off his horse.

The Wolf thrope reached the mercenaries, plunging her short sword into one of them, before releasing the handle to block a swing from one of the others. “Fuck off. You're outclassed, and we're contracted. Run while you can.” She growled, as she herself realized how outnumbered she was.

Moving up next to Mina, Betty quickly took up a position to defend her, aiming her pistol at the Bandits. “I suggest you take her advice.”

Mina looked around at them. “Who… who are you people? What do you…” Her eyes locked on Lyr, the hair on her neck standing on end at the sight of him.

“Don’t you worry yourself, my dear.” Erin twirled her wand in her fingers. “We’re the good guys, including snake boy. They’re the bad guys. That’s all you need to know.” Three bandits charged forward. With a yell, Erin sent a plume of wind magic that flung them through the air like rag dolls.

Spear point sliced from one person to the next, Lyr’s face one of concentration. “Don’t worry mo-... Mina. I am a friend of Shana’s. You’re gonna be in safe hands from here.” the Ophidian told her with guilt, “She’s just fine. So don’t you worry about your friend. She knows you’re important.”

Arlia, who had taken the time to hide within the trees while the commotion occurred, prepped her weapons for an assault from above. Yes, they were outnumbered, but she always had a way to even the odds. The assassin focused her chi and waited for the right moment to strike.

“These guys are nuts,” one of the men muttered as he and another stepped back towards the treeline.

“This whole situation it nuts!” the other exclaimed. “How did he know exactly where she would be? Who are these people? Why the hell are humans, thropes, and a friggin’ Ophidian fighting to save this kid?”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Twenty-One

Suddenly, from one of the trees, an onslaught of kunai and shurikens rained down upon the bandits, near endless in magnitude… at least in the eyes of a normal person. A sphere of chi energy spiraled around Arlia as she threw blade after blade at the group, aiming for anything that would kill or hinder the opponents in question. Most were at least partially injured. The two nearest her never stood a chance at surviving.

As Betty stood by Mina, two of the bandits split off from the group to try and complete their mission despite their competition. The first quickly tried to send an overhead swing with his large two handed sword towards the girl, however the engineer quickly moved to stop him. The Fly-Thrope threw out a half power punch towards his arm, still easily being enough to cause his humerus to fracture, almost internally exploding and filling the surrounding meat with organic shrapnel. “Get away from her!”

The other circled around on the other side as his comrade fell over, screaming in pain. Despite her initial shock, Mina intended to survive to see her revenge through, and with people helping her, she found renewed confidence. The bandit rushed her, intent on stabbing her through the heart. She easily dodged his sloppy attack, and it was her sword that finished him.

Charter, looking at the battle in front of him, finally got in on the action, plunging his sword through one of the mercenaries through the back and swiping his sword through the man’s side. As the last of the bandits looked at Charter, he swung his axe at Charter. He easily blocked the several attempts at the man swinging at him. Charter blocked the last attack and put his sword through the man's armpit and cleaved his arm off. As the man screamed in pain, Charter put his sword through mans chest and pierced his heart, then kicked him to the ground. Charter put his sword through his head just to make sure he stayed dead. “Hum, great work everyone.” Charter looked to Mina and got close to her. So this is what Lady Havenbrook looked like as a teenager. Charter bowed his head. “Are you alright, Lady Havenbrook?”

“Y… yeah…” Mina looked down at the dead men around her, slowly stepping forward.

“I guess we should just leave her to go on,” Erin whispered to Betty. “Things should be fi-”

Mina cried out in fury, suddenly rushing across the battlefield, sword raised to strike Lyr down.

Lyr backed up in surprise, on reflex knocking away her sword but in turn causing a gash on her cheek that was rather deep. “What are you doing!?”

“You… You won’t have me back!” she screamed. “You ruined me! You used me! I’ll kill you!” She quickly dashed for her sword.

As Betty saw the young girl reach for the sword that was knocked to the ground, the Thrope reached out and grabbed onto her arm gently, but with a firm grip. “Wh-What are you doing? He was helping you.”

“Let me go!” Mina pleaded. “Y-you don’t know who he is! What he’s done to me!”

“Perhaps she is mistaking him with another Ophidian she met before now,” Erin guessed, looking over to Lyr.

“Can we… talk in private Mina? I promise… I am not the same man you are thinking of. I won’t hurt you. Well, more than I have. Sorry if that leaves a scar.” The Ophidian apologized. “If you can’t find it in your heart to trust me, I know Shana and Kara, and they trusted me. I can tell you something important about them but we have to be civilized about this.”

Mina looked around at the others, all of whom gave her warm looks, like they knew each other. “F… fine…” She pulled her hand away from Betty and picked up her sword. “B-but I’m taking my weapon with me.” She cautiously walked over to Lyr as the others gave them privacy.

When the two were alone, he rubbed his arm. “Here, let me take care of this.” Uncoiling his scarf, he looked at the fabric which had once been a gift and then put it against her bleeding cheek.

She was taken aback by his gentleness. “Who… who are you?”

“I can’t tell you exactly, but I think one day you are going to laugh about this day. I’m… I am not like others of my kind. What happened to you was the reason for that. You are special to me in a way that I can’t explain, and honestly there are a lot of things I cannot explain.”

Mina gave him a skeptical look, but slowly nodded. “O-okay. You just… look so much…” She slowly shook her head. “Th… thank you for saving me. I need to go, though. There is something very important I have to take care of.” She pulled the scarf from her cheek and offered it back to him.

“Keep it for now.” Lyr said with an assurance. “But… Just one thing.” Taking out something to write with from his satchel, he wrote down a date and address in Kemar. “Go to this place on this day. It… is important. I think you’ll thank me for it one day…” Lyr said with an unknown sadness. “But after you do it… when I see you next, you can return it. Just… make sure to wash it.”

Mina chuckled lightly. “I will… if I survive my revenge.” She bowed her head to him, and odd feeling for her considering his appearance, but he did save her life. She quickly ran off, calling back. “Tell the others I will repay them someday!”

As she disappeared into the forest, the very air shook. Dark, ominous clouds rolled in, seemingly out of nowhere. Lightning arced across the sky, as if waiting for its chance to strike.

“Hey, Destani!” Erin called out. “The sky is acting… a little turbulent.”

Turbulent… turbulent is good. A little turbulent is not so good. It means you haven’t completely fixed the problem.

“What do you mean, we didn’t fix it?” the rabbit Thrope said irritably. “We saved Lady Havenbrook. It should be over.”

Yes, well… I did not to tell you this because I feared putting even more pressure on you guys, but we have not only been fighting time in terms of how long I can hold out. You see… time is not easy to break. When you do break it, it takes a while to set. I was hoping we would get here while it was still malleable, but “Mina is killed before reaching the manor and killing Alfred” is solidifying in history and the temporal universe is fighting to keep it that way. I am seeing multiple aberrations in time to try and correct our correction. There are… so many popping up at once…

“So… she’ll need a guard, someone to protect her through the timeline, right?” Titania asked, retrieving her sword and one of her daggers, wiping them off on the ground before sheathing her weapons.

In a manner of speaking. Though there are so many at once… and we are almost out of time. Hold… hold on…

After several uncomfortable seconds of silence, Destani appeared before them through his own time portal. “One, two, three, four, five,” he counted before disappearing again, only to reappear moments later with five copies of himself. “Ahem… before you guys ask, these are temporal duplicates, made from grabbing myself one, two, three, four, and five seconds ago. Don’t… worry too much about the temporal mechanics. We don’t have time to explain.”

“I’m assuming we’re being split up to deal with the various threats to Mina… right?” Titania guessed, cracking her knuckles as she started stretching, knowing she needed to do so for another fight.

“Righto, my good lady. Right on the money. I made six of me because I need to use six copies of the page to send you guys to six different points in time. It would take too long if you went to fix one at a time, but we might make it if you did all six at once.” Each of the six Destanis walk up to one of the six heroes and opened a portal for them with their page. “There’s no time to explain,” One of them said. “You just have to trust me… er, us,” said another. “Just do what you’re here for and save Mina.” said a third.

Charter shook his head in frustration, getting slightly irritated by this time travel stuff. “Ugh, alright alright. We bodyguard our boss and make sure our boss is safe.” Charter turned to everyone. “Alright people, since we don’t know what Mina would be facing through these time gates, and we’re alone here, be careful. I know me, the lizard boy, and Titania can handle ourselves very well and can take on several people at once.” Charter looked at Erin and Betty, but mostly Erin. Charter walked to Erin and put his hand on her shoulder. “ Be careful Erin. While Betty here is with you know I’m sure she will be worried, but stay alive for her and your little demon child to alright.”

Erin smiled sadly. “Thanks, Charter. We… we all have someone to get back to. Let’s all be careful, and get through this alive and with our boss in tact.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Twenty-two

A few days after the border attack, Mina slowly made her way through the dark woods. All around her, she felt like something was watching her. Paranoia, she was sure. But she was wrong. Slowly, a large, black figure lowered itself from above, long, hairy, twitching legs getting closer and closer.

As Betty stepped out of her portal, she checked her weapon, then looked around for the young woman, spotting her walking through the forest… And spotting the creature following her as she yelled, “Mina! Watch out!”

The teen quickly turned, screaming as the Nightmare Arachnid landed right behind her. She slowly backed up, hitting a branch and falling back. The giant spider, large as a dog, reached out, mandibles thrashing.

The Fly quickly made her way over, readying her pistol as she got into range. “A giant spider!? I zhink Destani has a sense of humor… At least it’s not a giant toad…”

The Thrope quickly fired as soon as she was in range, however due to the inaccuracies of the weapon, the lead ball only managed to graze a leg. It was enough to trip the creature up, as well as get its attention. It clambered back onto all eight and turned to face Betty, all while Mina jumped to her feet and made a run for it. The creature wasn’t alone, however. Three more dog-sized spider dropped around Betty, along with one that was twice as big as the rest.

Thinking quickly, Betty turned her fist to full power and slammed it into the ground below her, sending dirt, debris, and outward. As the cloud dust faded, the Thrope was nowhere to be found. The three smallest of the eight legged creatures moved to where she had been, briefly searching for her, that was until a second cloud of gas descended on them, causing their limbs to lock up and freeze.

Betty smirked briefly as she hung from one of the branches, having launched herself upward with the force of her own weapon to get away from them, allowing her to paralyze the spiders with her gas without risk to herself. The largest of the group, seeming confused, turned its head up and spotted her. It dashed over, jumping onto the trunk and climbing with frightening speed for something so big, its dead eyes locked on its fly prey.

The Engineer’s look of confidence suddenly faded as her head jumped around, looking for some kind of out. Looking down, the Thrope fortunately and unfortunately found her answer as she waited for the spider to strike.

The Cow sized insect leapt towards her suddenly and quickly, but Betty quickly let go of the branch, falling onto one of the smaller spider with a crunch and a squish, breaking her fall but covering herself in green slime and guts. Betty stood up fast, throwing a rock at the spider and taking off away from the future head of Havenbrook in hopes of luring it away. It knocked it off balance, the creature nearly making a fatal fall down. It instead climbed down, running after the woman, the smaller ones finally getting enough movement back to follow. For better or worse, she had their attention. Now, what to do with it.

As she ran, she scanned the forest using her extraordinarily perceptive eyes, coming across what she was looking for after only a few moments. Taking cover behind a dead tree with a rotted base, just barely still standing upright, the Fly readied her gauntlet and waited for them to reach her. The small spiders from before reached her first, entering into a clearing just next to the tree and trying to pick up her trail, however their search was cut short as Betty enacted her plan, punching the tree and sending it careening downwards towards the two spiders. They tried to quickly dodge the falling object, but only managed to save half of their bodies from being crushed under it’s weight.

The large Nightmare Arachnid skidded to a stop. It’s eight eyes seemed to lock onto Betty’s pair for a moment before it took eight steps backwards. Evidently, it decided the prey was too dangerous, and decided to flee instead.

Betty huffed as the creature ran, taking off after it, she wasn’t usually the one to pick fights like this, but if she didn’t make sure it was dead, it could still change and affect the timeline. Betty loaded her gun quickly as she ran, aiming and firing at the creature to slow it down. The bullet took a chunk out of the creature’s thorax, but it was clearly far from dead. It slammed into a tree from the pain, and quickly turned back. If it couldn’t run, it would fight, and so it used its greatest weapon. It started running full force, intent on ramming Betty with it’s hard exoskeleton and weight.

The Thrope, despite her fast planning, failed to see this one coming as the spider slammed into her, knocking her to the ground. In a desperate move, Betty grabbed onto one of it’s legs before it could finish her off, taking her gauntlet and snapping it off with a precise strike. Its balance thrown off, the might beast toppled forward. Without even trying, one of its fangs plunged into her shoulder, so large it was like being stabbed with a large dagger.

Screaming and gritting her teeth from the pain, Betty still wasted no time finishing it off as she climbed part of the way up it, sending her gauntlet into it’s head. The opposite side popped like the most disgusting of balloons, nasty arachnid fluids spluttering out. It collapsed like a ton of bricks, and Betty got lucky that she was high enough on it that it didn’t pin her legs to the ground.

The Fly stood up slowly, relieved that it was dead. This relief was interrupted when Betty suddenly remembered her bite wound. In a brief panic, Betty quickly placed her mouth over the wound on her shoulder, trying to suck out any venom the spider might have had, however when the only thing she spit out seemed to be blood, she was contented with the fact that the creature wasn’t venomous.

“Now… H-How…” Betty said, looking around, “How do I get back?” As if on cue, a portal opened up behind her.

A very tired Destani stepped out, waving her over. “Come on. Sorry I… sorry I was late. I’ll...heal you right up.”

“Zhanks… What about ze others?” The Fly asked, holding her shoulder and walking over to him.

“They, um…” Destani cleared his throat. “I-I don’t know. Everything is technically happening at once, even though it is all taking place at different times. And yes, I know that doesn’t make much sense.” He smiled weakly. “Come on. We’ll know as soon as we step through this portal if the others did as well as you… or if all is lost.”

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Twenty-three

Emerging at the point in time Destani had a signed for her, Titania seemed to be somewhere in the forest near the manor. As she started to look for the youthful future guildmaster, the silence of the forest was broken by a scream just ahead.

Titania broke into a sprint, making sure to run as fast as possible while conserving some strength in her legs so she could still fight later. She unsheathed her two swords, and partially transformed.

She found Mina in a small clearing, slowly circling her opponent. It was a Lucian, nearly twice the size of a wolf, with huge, razor sharp claw and fangs that oozed a mixture of saliva and blood. It lunged forward, and Mina just barely dodged. With a swipe, the beast left thick claw marks in the tree behind where Mina had been standing.

Oh... damnit... There just had to be had to be one of these, didn't it? Titania mentally groaned before charging at the creature, jumping onto its back as she drove both her swords into the creature's back, only able to pull the short sword out as the longsword had gone too deep. "Mina, I got this! Run to safety!" Titania called out, her hands once again full as she slid her dagger out.

Mina nodded, running as she called back, "Thank you... a-again!"

The Lycan roared a beastly crying. What had likely evolved for a wolf Thrope was now a mad beast driven to kill and eat, and it had the strength to do so. It bucked forward, sending Titania flying forward. Before she even hit the ground, it was already charging on all fours, aiming to take a bite out of her.

Titania, slightly stunned, threw her dagger, the blade sinking into one of it's eyes as she tossed her short sword and rolled. Once she got to her feet, she grabbed her sword and scurried up into a tree, hoping to buy herself some time.

The beast cried out in fury and pain. It grasped at its face, but it had trouble grabbing the dagger with its huge, clawed hands. Leaving it for now, it showed it wasn't completely devoid of intelligence by climbing a try near the one Titania had climbed rather than giving her the ability to attack from above, and jumped from tree to tree, splinters flying as claws dug in.

Titania laughed grimly, as she jumped to the ground, and proceeded to run slowly, so she could at the very least lure it out of the trees. "Did anyone tell you that you shouldn't try to hurt ladies, or are you just so blinded by your hunger that you don't even recognize your own kind?"

It let out something between a roar and a bark. Was it responding? Was it a random exclamation? Who could say? It did watch her closely with its one eye, diving down so it could land in front of her and swipe her head off.

Titania moved faster, blurring as she felt a sharp pain in her legs telling her she was pushing it, but she continued moving further away until eventually the creature was back by a dozen trees. "Hey! Big boy! Over here! Are you too scared of me to even attempt to kill me or are you just too dumb with hunger to even begin to catch up?"

The Lycan let out a frustrated cry, furious that its new prey was outpacing it so. It picked up the pace, dirt flying back as claws dug into the ground, the mutant Thrope pushing itself faster and faster, ignoring its own aching and tearing muscles.

"Ah, shit..." Titania grunted, realizing the Lycan was closing in on her. She turned and started running at the half-beast, howling as she did so, her legs disappearing shortly before she did as well.

The Lycan leaped forward, raising an arm to strike when she was within range.

The Lycan's leg suddenly fell off, as Titania reappeared, her lips drawn into a tight grimace from running too fast. Moving her arm, she jammed the dagger in and out of the creature's knee, trying to render it immobile, before backing up a plethora of paces.

The creature let out a remorseful howl, blood pouring from its stump leg as it tries to drag itself away. Its whining sounded surprisingly like a hurt puppy for such a vicious beast, reaching for the severed leg.

Titania replaced her sword with another dagger, and proceeded to stab the Lycan's hands to the ground. "I pity your kind... you used to be smart and resourceful, only to end up as mere beasts that follow their stomachs. And... as much as you're a menace, I'll only kill you right now, if you attack. But I'm perfectly fine with leaving you crippled. Think that's a smart idea, doggo?"

It stared up at her, whining lightly, snapping it jaws weakly and tugging at its hands uselessly.

"Y'know... if you weren't a bloodthirsty killer, I might've let you go, and I might have even thought you were cute, in your weird own way, but... sadly... you've kinda pissed me off. So, it's been nice knowing you, doggo." Titania growled, before climbing the Lycan's back and pressing her longsword deeper into the creature.

The creature howl in pain. Then in sadness. Slowly, the howling died down. It laid its head on the ground, it's panting and breathing slowing, and slowing, and slowing, its eyes staring into nothing until it stopped moving altogether.

Titania took her various weapons out of the Lycan, before sitting down in front of the creature. "May you find peace, and may that peace contain all the luxuries you ever conceived. I'm... sorry." Getting up, she held a weary face as she looked for Destani.

A portal opened near her, the wary god stepping through. "Hey. Sorry about... you know, the Lycan. Figured your speed would be the best bet against it."

"It's fine. Just... need a moment or two to regain my composure..." Titania replied, hoping that with the corrections in time, her prayer for her fallen opponent would be heard.

Destani waited in silence, know the moment they stepped through the portal, things would all be over. Whether that was for better or worse remained to be seen.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Twenty-four

Young Mina sat behind some bushes, looking wary. She occasionally poked her head up to look at something beyond. Arlia made her way through the forest, hoping to find the young Guild Leader before she was killed. She searched the surrounding area for any sign of Mina, coming across the young girl rustling one of the bushes. She approached cautiously, not wanting to be struck down should Mina prove to be hostile.

Even with the cautious approach, Mina had to hold her hands over her mouth to stifle a yell. In the shadow of the trees, she had to squint to recognize the woman. "You... how do you people keep finding me?" She asked in a whisper. She peaked over the bush to make sure whatever she was looking at didn't hear her."

Arlia moved the brush aside, looking Mina dead in the eyes. "Because we want to save you... though it seems that you have a problem with trusting us."

"Yeah, well, the last two people I trusted as family and was forced to trust, respectively, tried to murder me and sexually assaulted me respectively, so excuse me." Mina waved her hand to the ground. "Get down. They'll see you."

Instead, Arlia quickly made her way up one of the trees, hiding among the branches and leaves. She quickly scanned the area for who... or what, Mina was talking about. In a field, near the entrance to a small mine, nearly a dozen men and women stood and stared. Other than the occasional away, they were motionless. The faces of those she could se had vapid eyes, their mouths occasionally muttering something unintelligible. They all wore tattered mining uniforms, some holding a shovel or a pick axe, some with blood splatter on their clothes or hands.

"What the hell..." Arlia muttered under her breath. She was unable to salvage a decent amount of throwing weapons from the last fight to get anything useful out of long ranged combat. So she had to rely on her stealth and cunning to hopefully pick them off, one by one.

There was a snap of a branch near Arlia. Maybe it was an animal. Maybe it was Mina making a run for it. Either way, several of the strange men turned her way. Arlia prepped two kunai for the incoming attack. She had to protect Mina at all costs, even if it meant killing possessed, possible innocent men and women to do so.

One spotted her. Their expression suddenly contorted into pure fury. These were Mad Ones, corrupted by magic, like zombies but faster, stronger, and more concerned with violent murder then eating. They yelled out, and eight of the remaining eleven individuals turned, they to looking furious. They too spotted Arlia, and they ran as fast as they could towards her tree, intent on ripping her apart.

Arlia jumped out of the tree, stabbing the Mad One in the shoulder with her katana. She quickly kicked off of the man, her blade ripping out of it's body as she did so. The assassin quickly looked around to make sure none of them had made it to Mina. All were focused on her, mindlessly intent on her death. A woman laughed hysterically as she tried to stab her spade into Arlia's chest.

The spade clashed with Arlia's katana as she blocked the incoming attack. She held her ground, using her off hand to throw kunai at any other she could see. Some stuck into chests. Some necks. One stabbed into an eye. But they felt no pain. Nothing short of a killing blow would stop them, these poor people so crazy, they would continue to attack until they bled out. One lunged at her from the side, intent on choking the life out of her.

Arlia kicked back the one in front of her before slicing through the one at her side. She hastily decapitated the one that had the spade and turned to the remainder. She sheathed her blade... whoever came in next you be dead in an instant.

If they had any inkling of that, they didn't care. One charged, pickaxe raised for a downward strike. Steel flashed and the axe wielder slid in two. Arlia stood there, her blade sheathed once more as she waited for the next attack. This time, two came at once, a third trying but tripping over the body. The pair swiped at clawed, weaponless but sporting impressive strength.

Arlia lost her focus, unable to slash at the speed she wanted. She managed to kill one, but couldn't stop the other from sinking it's claws into her shoulder. After piercing the creature's heart, she reached for a burn heal, only to find that she had none of her herbal patches on hand. The four remaining jumped at her, tackling her to the ground and attempting to beat her to death.

Arlia thrashed, but was unable to free herself from the coming onslaught. A saber suddenly stabbed through the back of one of the mad one's heads. Then another stab into one of their hearts. The other two pushed off of Arlia to face the new attacker. Arlia jumped back to her feet, slicing out of the man one's throats. She quickly dispatched of the last one with a blade to the heart.

Mina planted heavily, her hands shaking a bit. "S... s-sorry... I-I didn't help... from the start."

"It's okay." Arlia replied, sheathing her blade. "Those things were something else. I doubt many would want to face them without knowing someone was there for them."

Mina nodded. She looked back at the three who had remained where they were. "What about them?" she asked. They were Lost Souls, corrupted like the Mad Ones but with no rage. No anger. No anything. They simply stared forward, mindless, hopeless, waiting for nothing. Empty shells.

"We can leave them to wither away or put them out of their misery." Arlia answered. "I'll leave that choice to you."

Mina gave them a sad look. "My f-..." She paused for a moment to take a deep breath. "My father always said, if you find a Lost Soul, put them out of their misery. There is no cure, and leaving them just continues their torment and leaves them open to be manipulated by witches."

Arlia nodded in response and throw kunai in between each of their eyes. "We should get going, there's no telling what else is out there."

"S-Sure." Mina took a deep breath. "I'll run ahead. You... do your Stormrendy ninja thing."

"I'd be more concerned about yourself right now." Arlia told the god. "If you lose your power, that'll ruin the entire mission."

He chuckled. "Glad to hear you are concerned, at least in your own way." He waved her over. "Come on. Everything is, temporally speaking, happening at the same time, so everyone will arrive at the same time. Once we step in, we'll know if everyone succeeded."

Arlia sighed as she stepped through the portal. "Let's hope everything worked out."

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Heroes of Fate
Part Twenty-five

Mina had just emerged from the forest, and she was already falling backwards to avoid a stone the size of her head from taking said head off. “Quite the nimble one,” a male witch said. With dark black robes adorned with skulls and a large staff seething with dark energies, he walked to a few feet in front of her. “Such a lovely specimen. Young. Nimble. Strong looking for your age. You will make a great test subject.”

He quickly jumped back, a magic shield covering him as a stone attempted to remove his head. “I don’t think so,” Erin said, stepping out of the forest. “She has more important things to do then be your new toy.” She stepped next to Mina and said. “Make a run for it. I’ll hold him off.”

Mina nodded, jumping to her feet and running southwest. The witch followed her with his eyes. “You know I’ll easily be able find her once I’m finished with you, right?”

“Guess it is a good thing I don’t plan to fall to you, huh?” The rabbit Thrope pointed her small wand at him, trying not to focus on the size difference between their weapons. Or she and her opponent for that matter. “I am Erin Starstorm, and I challenge you to a magical duel.”

“Oh, so formal.” The man bowed his head. “Eric Direslay. I’ll give you a moment to prepare for death.” He rolled his neck, cracked his knuckles, and thrust his staff forward, a mixture of fire and chaos energy firing forward.

Erin rolled to the side, the spot she had been in now charred. She fired off her own series of magical attacks. As they exchanged magical blasts, it became apparent that, it terms of raw power, Erin was very outmatched. She slowly backed up towards the forest, focusing more on raising shields then attack. One good blow could spell her doom.

“Direslay, huh?” she said, trying to buy time while she came up with an out. “I know that name. Sixteen years… ahem… four years ago, you fought against some Havenbrook Organization Hunters, didn’t you? Fought a Netzi named Edminfar?”

Direslay scoffed. “Like I care to remember names. Though I do remember a particularly annoying Netzi. Kept hitting on my sister and female subjects. I tried to silence him, but some bear masquerading as a man took the attack in his stead. That guild is just lucky I have more important things to worry about then petty revenge… at least, not right now.”

“Yeah… like they should have anything to worry about.” Erin laugh, ducking behind a tree. “You have, what? Chaos, Fire, and Earth magic? Pathetic.”

The witch swirled a ball of water around his head. “And water magic. Impressive enough for you, child?”

“Ha! You think some weak bubbles will mean anything against them… Eric?!”

Direslay scowled. “I have no weak magic,” he mutter, launching a massive torrent of water.

“Magic of the vengeful foe, betray your master, give them woe.” Erin stepped out from behind the tree, a glowing glyph appearing before her. The water magic struck it, and was trapped, becoming hers.

Direslay scoffed, and launched rapid fireballs. “You think such a simple trick with defeat me?”

A magical wall formed before Erin, the woman needing time. “Nature’s fury in form of stone, return the wrath my foe has shone. Razor wind, torrential gust, blast the foe that is unjust. Swirling waters, drenching rain, drown the foe that causes pain. Burn embers, sparks that flash, engulf my foe, turn them ash.” Her three elements swirled with the water magic, forming into a gigantic orb of swirling magic. “Make my enemy suffer, weep, and yell! Send him to the depths of Hell! Quad-Magic Attack!”

For a moment, Direslay actually looked worried as the attack flew towards him. He stabbed his staff into the ground and held out his hands, putting up his own barrier. Erin’s attack struck, and there was a blinding, deafening explosion of power the shook the very earth.

It took the longest time for the dust to settle. When it did, a tired Erin was shocked to see Direslay in one piece. His hands were charred, steam was coming off his body, and he himself looked to be a bit winded. Slowly he lowered his arms. He took hold of his staff, flinching in pain. “Well, now. That was… exciting.” A swirl of darkness appeared around him. “You are quite the foe, Ms. Starstorm. I look forward to when next we meet.”

The darkness enveloped him. When it dissipated, he was gone. With a sigh of relief, Erin collapsed onto her knees. A portal opened behind her, and she heard Destani say, “Good job. Though that was a close one.”

The Thrope laughed tiredly. “You have no idea. Good thing he didn’t stick around. That was all I had.”

Despite his own exhaustion, Destani helped her to her feet and the pair headed to the portal, eager to see how the others had done.