X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceZarek

I first found out about Pokemon when I was 5 or 6 through a promotional VHS tape that was mailed to my house which had the first few episodes of the anime and commercials for the games. I had every Pokemon game for the Gameboy, even the TCG one. The only Pokemon games I haven't played are the DS spin-offs, like Trozei and Dash. My favorite versions have to be Emerald and Platinum. Those are the ones I had the most enjoyment and playtime in. My favorite starters by type have to be Blaziken, Empoleon, and Serperior. Gardevoir is one of my favorites as well Prisma :D

Taxor_the_First

I, too, am on the "Gardevoir is awesome" train, and I was glad that it got a mega evolution.
So am I, but I kinda wish it were less... "puffy". It just looks like it's standing directly over a (weak) air vent, or like a reverse parachute.
I know, I know. "Elegance". To clarify, and to reduce the rage incoming, that's the only Mega I have any problem with. It's that one bad thing about the game that just sticks. I feel terrible even saying "I hate this Pokemon because it looks blah blah blah whinge grumble complain back in my day we had fire-breathing karate chickens, etc."
Then again, there is the face of despair itself; the all terrible being known only as "Stunfisk". That I feel no remorse in complaining about.

Back onto the Mystery Dungeon series (if you haven't played it, DO SO IMMEDIATELY, YOU HAVE NOT LIVED), I love how they goofed at the end of Red and Blue. Why does the player come back? Oh, I dunno. They wanted to I guess? At least in Explorers of Time/Darkness they had the actual explanation of Dialga being a cool guy.
Ah man, dat final battle tho. So epic, damn it.

... how the hell did a forum about XCOM turn into a nostalgia tank?

PrismaCube

Because when you got nothing else to talk about, talk about what makes you and your online friends happy, while waiting for the other thing to return. In other words its a nice change for once ^^

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Then again, there is the face of despair itself; the all terrible being known only as "Stunfisk". That I feel no remorse in complaining about.
I don't think anyone is going to argue that they didn't make a lot of...questionable decisions with the gen. five pokemon. After all, it is a game where your team can consist of a candle, an ice cream cone, a gear, a snowflake, a tick, and a bag of garbage.

BMPixy

I don't think anyone is going to argue that they didn't make a lot of...questionable decisions with the gen. five pokemon. After all, it is a game where your team can consist of a candle, an ice cream cone, a gear, a snowflake, a tick, and a bag of garbage.

There have always been weird Pokemon. In Gen I you could have a team of a pile of slime, a tree that grows eggs, a mass of tentacles with red shoes, an explosive upside-down pokeball, three tiny brown heads sticking out of a hole, and a bird with a leek.

Zain Shah

Unfortunately, I'm more of a fan of Gallade than Gardevoir but I haven't played X or Y yet so the fairy typing and mega evolution may mean that I like Gardevoir better but for now, I'm on team Gallade.

Taxor_the_First

What about nicknames? What are your favorite nicknames to give to a certain Pokemon?
For example, from my own, Ludicrous the Ludicolo, Quadraxis the Metagross, C.J. the Scrafty, Ridley the Charizard, Dovahkiin the Exploud. Most of mine tend to be references, or a play on their names. How do you name yours? Or do you not bother with nicknames?

BMPixy

What about nicknames? What are your favorite nicknames to give to a certain Pokemon?
For example, from my own, Ludicrous the Ludicolo, Quadraxis the Metagross, C.J. the Scrafty, Ridley the Charizard, Dovahkiin the Exploud. Most of mine tend to be references, or a play on their names. How do you name yours? Or do you not bother with nicknames?

Most of the time I only nickname 'mons I use for battles with other people, and when those nicknames tend to be for completely different 'mons. For instance, back in the Platinum days I had a lvl 100 Magikarp named 'Regigigas'. This would usually cause my opponents to flip out at the fact that I had a Regigigas, then be absolutely confused when it turned out to be a Magikarp, then scared when that Magikarp sweeps their three best 'mons with naught but a Focus Sash, Flail, and some Baton-Tossed Speed boosts.

ZombieSplitter53

Game Master
Staff member
Personally, I'm more traditional in the whole naming thing, sticking to they're original names. I nicknamed them a bit when I was younger, but I like to mix and match my teams, trying to use different pokemon to keep things fresh, and it would get annoying if I had to remember which pokemon was which in my boxes because they all have different nicknames.

Zain Shah

My nickname strategy is to make random sounds with my mouth and connect them to form my nicknames. One example is Wylorne the Thundurus.

PrismaCube

Same here, I just keep the original names, but I do have once that I traded with friends that have nicknames like KEVIN!!! he Kingdra pokemon xD I hated that so much, but there was no other way for me to get it then trade and my friends are all trolls xD.

Adrammalech

I heard they really rugbied a fieldscreen against the Blue Hawks. Ain't no one can red card a proper dunking like the Dominaterizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.