X-COM THINK TANK (Out of Character Discussion about X-COM and the Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrismaCube

I find the whole replacing soldier's limbs with robotic version to be somewhat silly. There is absolutely zero reason to replace a normally functioning limb with a mechanical one; the same technology that is required to get those to work like that could work for either an exo or an entirely new limb, even in the real world. Hell, we have the technology right now and they use exos because replacing a limb is pointless and unnecessary. I'd hoped the mech soldiers were just soldiers in exo-suits, but the screenshots say otherwise.

Just imagine it is a vetrand soldier who lost his limbs in war and X-Com knew he was a great soldier than and are giving him another chance to do the only thing he can do and that is fight, so they give him the mech which gives new meaning to his life and he can fight again. I dont know that is just a thought on roleplaying wise.

It's a shame that we won't be able to roleplay at the same standard but I guess it will give us a chance to get acquainted with the expansion so we know what happens to a certain extent. The mechs and gene mods will certainly spice life up around base. Another question I have is that will soldiers be able to become mechs and psionic because that would be freaken amazing.

As far as I know you can have both, but I also heared it is either the one or the other so I'm not so sure about that.

Grelite

Just imagine it is a vetrand soldier who lost his limbs in war and X-Com knew he was a great soldier than and are giving him another chance to do the only thing he can do and that is fight, so they give him the mech which gives new meaning to his life and he can fight again. I dont know that is just a thought on roleplaying wise..
The thing is that existing soldiers (they have to be higher ranked than Rookie) become MEC soldiers, replacing their limbs with robotic ones, receiving cybernetic implants and even making their voice monotone. This mean MEC soldiers are ones who already had a roleplaying background as non-MEC before becoming this... thing.

Suryce

Game Master
I have to admit that the idea of the replacing-limbs procedure made me slightly uncomfortable when I saw the screenshots.
And on the subject of RP, it made me wonder if a lot of people would normally accept such a drastic procedure, even in time of a desperate crisis, and if Chris will take into account the will of each character in regard to that during RP-heavy seasons (at least, the RP potential of the expansion is definitively there, it will give the soldiers a lot of things to comment on).

By the way, you may have seen Chris tweeting this article, it explains a lot about how the battles against Exalt will go. It answers the questions I was wondering on earlier for one thing (I don't really like the idea that the heavy cannot be chosen for infiltration missions, seems unfair to me).

Last edited:

PrismaCube

What has this world come to when you still fight each other while an alien race is trying to whip you all out. I can see there will be great roleplaying in this, on the limbs subject I kind of agree, people will say if its for the good of the earth than yeah take those legs away and replace them, but I myself would never be able to do something like that. And I see you point now grelite, I too kinda got thinking there but heck lets see how it turnes out to be.

Dahlexpert

So here is some more information on enemy with in,and this talks about the new human group, and in for a lack of a better word the new human group is going to be a bitch.

PrismaCube

Chris not sure if you are following along here and rading this, but here is a roleplaying idea, we could have three squads with 2-4 extra people in those squads replacing wounded soldier, one sqaud would be for fighting alliens like always, the other would be for fighting the other orginization, and the third one would be defending the base. Not sure if that goes good together, but if it does, jsut saying this could be a great way to get more people involved.

Zain Shah

I thought I was gonna die after all those signs:

• Zain on the thumbnail
  • Zain not wearing titan armor
  • Zain getting hit

Aristeus

For the people who read this, I'm pretty busy since school began, so I've been posting a lot less. It's also hard to keep track of what is going on in base, so that's why I've been idle for quite some time.
PS: (My caracter is Jorn Lemonade)

Grelite

I am one of the new Pilots that got recruited (me and Pinkie Pirate). What country am I based in?
In the first post of both the journals and application threads is a list of everyone who has been approved this season. At the bottom of the list is the list of pilots and the continent they were assigned to, which is based on when you applied and when satellites got designated to what continent.

Also, could you please reduce the size of your signature? It takes up half my screen.

Zain Shah

From a role-playing perspective, would the soldiers know of the events that took place in the Bureau, in the 1960s.

Grelite

From a role-playing perspective, would the soldiers know of the events that took place in the Bureau, in the 1960s.
Allow me to answer this question with a quote:
The Time Line

1947 - An alien probe arrives in the Solar System. It arrives on Earth by July, scanning the surface from space for a few days before sending out a go-signal and crash landing on July 7th in Roswell, New Mexico in the United States. Its remnants are recovered by the US government and the event is covered up. Civilians are unaware of this occurrence.
2014 - An alien scout arrives on Earth and sets up an alien base in a remote location. It goes unnoticed and the scout calls for the rest of the fleet once the base is set up.
2015 - The fleet arrives in the Solar System, its advanced cloaking technology hiding it from being detected. On March 1st the first of the alien strikes is ordered in a civilian centre. The local military team sent in to investigate went silent. The XCOM Project is launched as one of the protocols set for these situations. Commanding this Project is Commander Odd and the project is financed by the Global Council. While an underground base is prepared, a squad of four XCOM soldiers is sent to investigate the site.

That is all.

Zain Shah

Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking that even though civilians didn't know, maybe soldiers knew of it.

Grelite

Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking that even though civilians didn't know, maybe soldiers knew of it.
The point was that the events of The Bureau did not happen and that any events involving aliens that did transpire were only known to people now either too old or too dead to be a character in XCOM.

Dahlexpert

Hay every body here is some more information on X-COM enemy with in,manly exalt. So we no we can Attack exalt by doing these covert missions now, doing these missions 3 times we will have a guess at were there base is,now to Christopher Odd do NOT attack the base on the first guess.Because if your wrong and the exalt base is not in that country,that country will instantly leave the counsole. so to the commander, and every one that will buy the game. do not attack/raid exalt base on the first guess.

Last edited:

Grelite

Could people please keep their signatures under 200px tall? Even when I'm not on my netbook or phone looking at these pages, the signatures still take up a large portion of the screen. It's a simple request and I'd be very happy to see this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.